I don't like "old" :aah:....Sounds really too much pejorative in french:naughty:

"Vieille âme" looks like fossilized soul..:boxed:

What about he has a mind/ soul of a wise man on young shoulders :wub2:

The way we use the expression around here is mostly to talk about a person who is young but seems to have a lot of "life experience" and not in the sense that the person is old, or acting like an old person...

experienced soul maybe?:wink2:

I think we all say teh same, just can get across in English:thumb_yello:

OK going back to work now

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The way we use the expression around here is mostly to talk about a person who is young but seems to have a lot of "life experience" and not in the sense that the person is old, or acting like an old person...

experienced soul maybe?:wink2:

I think we all say teh same, just can get across in English:thumb_yello:

OK going back to work now

Yes, I know you're right..

It just makes me laugh seeing Mika as an old man

But I perfectly understand what you want to say :wink2:

Good luck for your work :thumb_yello:

Me too. That's much more interesting than interviews about what does he have for breakfast!

I saw:teehee: And I already left mine :thumb_yello:

I think both are ok as its an Italian magazine.

I did. Io cappicci un po :naughty:

I doubt. But the more comments we leave, the better. This will encourage the magazine to post a next column. Or this is what I think.

+1

I got same feeling after reading it. I've always thought he has a solid head on his shoulders.

I only asked, as some columnists do, and reply to the comments. I just wondered, if he would be curious about what people would say.

I only asked, as some columnists do, and reply to the comments. I just wondered, if he would be curious about what people would say.

I must've explained myself wrongly :aah: I meant, that after reading the column, I also wondered if he reads the comments or not, but on the other hand I doubt he does :wink2:

naaaaaaaaaa too much of me :teehee:

use a translator, who's interested :naughty:

come no? :mf_rosetinted:

you made me write in english :aah::sweatdrop::naughty:

how can we know? :naughty:

i think it's nice to leave a comment also for the magazine, so they know we care and the column is appreciated and read by many people :original:

= they will hire Mika for looooooooong time :biggrin2:

I doubt. But the more comments we leave, the better. This will encourage the magazine to post a next column. Or this is what I think.

I have the same thought and hope :wub2:

+1

and surprisingly mature for his young age..:boxed:

i wish i were so wise and free when i was younger

But I disagree with some of it, as I am an Atheist, and I'm quite pro-Atheism. But I like what he said about relgion & the church. :)

It was also interesting to see what he actually believes!

I disagree with some of it too. I don't think you can pick and choose what suits you out of religious teachings since they all stem from the same authority. If I were to question the teachings of my church I think I'd have to question all of it and not that which doesn't suit me.

I also question his idea that he learned his code of ethics via religion but I guess I have to know exactly what his ethics are to know if I would agree or not. :naughty:

But yes it is interesting to see what he believes.

Thanks for posting the link coolcat. :thumb_yello:

I just left my comment..

Don't know why but it seems only MFCers read this magazine and leave comments..:mf_rosetinted::roftl:

4 pages already.. Keep going, guys :thumb_yello:

it's an italian magazine, and italians read the article in the paper issue :thumb_yello:

foreigners interested in mika's column in english are his fans! :wink2:

I disagree with some of it too. I don't think you can pick and choose what suits you out of religious teachings since they all stem from the same authority. If I were to question the teachings of my church I think I'd have to question all of it and not that which doesn't suit me.

I also question his idea that he learned his code of ethics via religion but I guess I have to know exactly what his ethics are to know if I would agree or not. :naughty:

But yes it is interesting to see what he believes.

Thanks for posting the link coolcat. :thumb_yello:

i cannot agree with some statements too, it's mainly the human, sincere attitude that appeals to me in this article.

OMG!

His radical views mixed with his traditional values are extremely insightful! He humbles the Idea of Faith and Love is 2 of the most important values the church should keep spreading!

He reminds me sooo much of myself and my views towards to the church growing up in a catholic family.

He never ceases to amaze me with his EXCELLENT writing skills; anyone could be a good writer, but conveying your message and grabbing the reader all the way through till the end is pure TALENT.

I love him more and more. Brains are just as important as looks :teehee:

i cannot agree with some statements too, it's mainly the human, sincere attitude that appeals to me in this article.

I get the feeling that it's written from the heart, and that what I find interesting too.

I don't agree with everything, nor do I feel the need to agree with it, but it's interesting because it sheds a light into his mind and values.

And basically, it's also well-written.

Nobody is thanking me :sneaky2: (I'm not blaming you, you are all probably lost in Mika's column now :naughty:)

Anyway what does this mean? "I am 27, I am pro choice, pro contraception, pro gay union, pro tolerance, and most of all pro faith if not religion." What does this "pro" mean?

sadly this is the only quote i can not understand :shocked:...what does 'pro' mean in this quote?? could someone help? :boxed:

Thanks for posting coolcat! And thanks to Robertina for making sure they posted the English version. :wub2:

"Pro choice" in this context refers to abortion... Mika is saying that he feels it's a woman's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion for any reason. In English-speaking countries the opposite point of view is referred to as "pro life." Someone with "pro life" views believes life begins the moment a baby is conceived, and that an expectant woman should not be allowed to make the decision to terminate that life.

With everything else he refers to - contraception, tolerance, gay unions, and faith - he's simply saying that he is in favour of all of those things despite the traditional point of view of the church.

Wow, a really good job! :thumb_yello:

That's the result of Mika on his own and a piece of white paper without any lousy journalists around to interrupt him and ask stupid questions about his clothes. :naughty:

Hope he goes on writing on serious topics.

Agreed. Of course I do like reading or watching interviews where he goes on about his clothes or whatever, but this feels far more substantial.

I have to commend him for tackling such a sensitive topic. I don't necessarily agree with him on all points, but I respect his position and admire his ability to clearly express his point of view. I do relate to what he said about the feeling of escape and detachment within the walls of a church (or, for me, any sort of religious building).

I also found it interesting that he wrote "we must be brave enough to take what we like and not have them impose what we do not believe in." My initial reaction to that is to disagree. I can't imagine one could comfortably affiliate themselves with a particular religion or attend a weekly religious service only to disagree with a significant portion of what's being taught. That was the problem I had with the Catholic school I attended from ages 14 to 17; I just did not agree with much of what was taught, and those matters put me off Catholicism as a whole.

But on the flip side, if most of one's faith-based activities are carried out privately - a quick prayer backstage before performing to a frenzied crowd - what's to say you can't pick and choose? I suppose that's one of the differences between faith and religion. Religion is prescribed, organized, and in my opinion, inflexible. But broad faith affords far more flexibility. One can select the relevant bits from organized religions, accepting the parts that fit their own beliefs (love thy neighbour, for example) and discarding the parts that don't fit (say, homosexuality is a sin).

And I suppose that applies to life in general. Of all the perspectives, opinions and advice out there you just have to take what fits and discard the rest. Thanks Mika, for making me think. :pinkbow:

Thanks for posting coolcat! And thanks to Robertina for making sure they posted the English version. :wub2:

"Pro choice" in this context refers to abortion... Mika is saying that he feels it's a woman's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion for any reason. In English-speaking countries the opposite point of view is referred to as "pro life." Someone with "pro life" views believes life begins the moment a baby is conceived, and that an expectant woman should not be allowed to make the decision to terminate that life.

With everything else he refers to - contraception, tolerance, gay unions, and faith - he's simply saying that he is in favour of all of those things despite the traditional point of view of the church.

Agreed. Of course I do like reading or watching interviews where he goes on about his clothes or whatever, but this feels far more substantial.

I have to commend him for tackling such a sensitive topic. I don't necessarily agree with him on all points, but I respect his position and admire his ability to clearly express his point of view. I do relate to what he said about the feeling of escape and detachment within the walls of a church (or, for me, any sort of religious building).

I also found it interesting that he wrote "we must be brave enough to take what we like and not have them impose what we do not believe in." My initial reaction to that is to disagree. I can't imagine one could comfortably affiliate themselves with a particular religion or attend a weekly religious service only to disagree with a significant portion of what's being taught. That was the problem I had with the Catholic school I attended from ages 14 to 17; I just did not agree with much of what was taught, and those matters put me off Catholicism as a whole.

But on the flip side, if most of one's faith-based activities are carried out privately - a quick prayer backstage before performing to a frenzied crowd - what's to say you can't pick and choose? I suppose that's one of the differences between faith and religion. Religion is prescribed, organized, and in my opinion, inflexible. But broad faith affords far more flexibility. One can select the relevant bits from organized religions, accepting the parts that fit their own beliefs (love thy neighbour, for example) and discarding the parts that don't fit (say, homosexuality is a sin).

And I suppose that applies to life in general. Of all the perspectives, opinions and advice out there you just have to take what fits and discard the rest. Thanks Mika, for making me think. :pinkbow:

That is very true. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Plato's philosophies on his "Republic" dialogue which was one of his most influential works of philosophy and political theory.

Plato believed, that by prescribing or instilling fear into the cities of roman empires through the Church, that order will be maintained through it inhabitants. Fear as in "You will burn in hell for all eternity" if you don't follow the Church's codes etc. His philosophy on this was very extensive and basically promoted this idea. At that time Religion was the most feared and the Pope held the GREATEST amount of power because of this.

I just wanted to mention that because I do agree with Mika on this. When you study in depth all of the greatest Philosophers who played a big part in kind of playing with Religion (alongside the pope) in those times and adapted certain things in order to maintain "order" it makes you question Where they more concerned with the person being a strong believer? or was it all about world order?

I dont know, I still believe and LOVE my one only GOD and I am a highly spiritual person who carries his faith everywhere.