• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wrote my comment on the site, if someone is interested

People used to consider Mika as a light-hearted boy, but, in fact, he is grown-up and extremely wise man, with the courage to write what he thinks and believes. This topic is quite dangerous, but Mika described everything precisely and crystal-clear. I couldn't agree more. I believe in tolerant and kind God, too, and I'm rather critical about the church as an institution. People have to behave not because they will be punished in Hell, but because of inner need to be on the right way. Thank you, Mika, so much!

It's hard to explain what I feel. This article greatly differs from the previous, so it's not worth to compare them. But one thing is in common - his language, vocabulary, exact, reasonable words. I'm fangurling over his every word! :wub:

i cannot agree with some statements too, it's mainly the human, sincere attitude that appeals to me in this article.

That's what I loved too :wub2: I must say I agree with most of it, but I guess it's because I come from very non-religious country.

Deep. :naughty:

It's actually really interesting how Mika is far more pro religion than I ever would have thought. Though he does contradict so I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems he's more faith based than religious though.

When he says that he sees the church as a sense of escape and detachment I can't help but think of all the times I've sat there and thought that even the building was just trying to condesend and just show off it's wealth. The buildings I always felt are too gawdy and showy to be spiritual.

'Bin the gold cross and get a wooden one. Let the Church impress with an open heart and not a heavy wallet.'

But that's possibly the best quote ever!

It makes me wonder if many young people actually want organised religion to continue, the way he said the church should welcome back the people it drove away with open arms. I think it needs an entirely new way of working if that would ever happen, especially after all the scandels, who wants to go back to repression? :blink:

Being privatly spiritual and having faith is more powerful than sitting in a building I think.

I could talk about this column all day, it's really interesting to see what he thinks about things like this.

Wrote my comment on the site, if someone is interested

People used to consider Mika as a light-hearted boy, but, in fact, he is grown-up and extremely wise man, with the courage to write what he thinks and believes. This topic is quite dangerous, but Mika described everything precisely and crystal-clear. I couldn't agree more. I believe in tolerant and kind God, too, and I'm rather critical about the church as an institution. People have to behave not because they will be punished in Hell, but because of inner need to be on the right way. Thank you, Mika, so much!

It's hard to explain what I feel. This article greatly differs from the previous, so it's not worth to compare them. But one thing is in common - his language, vocabulary, exact, reasonable words. I'm fangurling over his every word! :wub:

+1

Dreamy_Queen I always agree with you..:naughty:

And very true comment moreover..

Reading his column made my day yesterday..:mf_lustslow:

Now, we have to wait 29 days for the next one... :sad:

I really liked this article, I agree with your statements.:thumb_yello:

I think the church recently to be the last place where we could go to put our thoughts in order to a kind of underground economy, so much gold hanging if the true cross is wood.

It's a great coincidence, I also grew up near a Catholic school where I went to sixth year and communion, but I'm not a person who enters a church often,I Also Grew up near a Catholic school and was 6 th years,

That God Can Be found everywhere,

When I Was surprised Said Mika of ritual before the presentation Does Not Think It Was a person Who Gave Importance to it, But that's the way to connect with religion in Some Way.

Thanks for posting, coolcat and Lucrezia!

Thanks for asking about the original, robertina!

Once again extremely well written column by Mika allowing us to see another angle of him! :clap: I am really happy he shares his thoughts on subject like this because that is something we would not normally hear in a pre-gig or after-gig interview. I agree that his style of writing is sincere and clearly expressed. I feel that he's not afraid to express his opinion and make a statement, yet manage to be respectful enough at the same time.

Keep it coming, Mika!:thumb_yello:

P.S. With his colourful and rich vocabulary and skills to write like this I think he could be an author of bestsellers (not that he isn't already:teehee: ,but I meant books this time) or at least be the one that brings us Mika autobiography. (Not leave it to some "professionals"). But that still can wait. It could be his way to relax, yet keep in touch with us, when he is in his old age. :roftl: I mean very old age, cause we all want many many Mika's gig years to come. And for now he can collect his material for the "Crazy, dedicated freaks I happen to love" chapter. :wink2:

With everything else he refers to - contraception, tolerance, gay unions, and faith - he's simply saying that he is in favour of all of those things despite the traditional point of view of the church.

Agreed. Of course I do like reading or watching interviews where he goes on about his clothes or whatever, but this feels far more substantial.

I have to commend him for tackling such a sensitive topic. I don't necessarily agree with him on all points, but I respect his position and admire his ability to clearly express his point of view. I do relate to what he said about the feeling of escape and detachment within the walls of a church (or, for me, any sort of religious building).

I also found it interesting that he wrote "we must be brave enough to take what we like and not have them impose what we do not believe in." My initial reaction to that is to disagree. I can't imagine one could comfortably affiliate themselves with a particular religion or attend a weekly religious service only to disagree with a significant portion of what's being taught. That was the problem I had with the Catholic school I attended from ages 14 to 17; I just did not agree with much of what was taught, and those matters put me off Catholicism as a whole.

But on the flip side, if most of one's faith-based activities are carried out privately - a quick prayer backstage before performing to a frenzied crowd - what's to say you can't pick and choose? I suppose that's one of the differences between faith and religion. Religion is prescribed, organized, and in my opinion, inflexible. But broad faith affords far more flexibility. One can select the relevant bits from organized religions, accepting the parts that fit their own beliefs (love thy neighbour, for example) and discarding the parts that don't fit (say, homosexuality is a sin).

And I suppose that applies to life in general. Of all the perspectives, opinions and advice out there you just have to take what fits and discard the rest. Thanks Mika, for making me think. :pinkbow:

Agreed.

Growing up in a religion free society I can understand why he says religion is important for ethics, since I know how horrible a society can be when pple don't believe in anything except money.

On the other side now I live in Bavaria, the most catholic region in Germany and most pple around me are Catholics. Most of my friends, relatives etc. share his opinion on the subject so I am not at all astonished at his views, it is the "normal" opinion about the Cath. church and on those specific topics where I live. I would define it as a kind of "Middle European mixed conservative-liberal" point of view. (EDIT: Stuck in the middle :teehee:). Even the recent scandal about child abuse was something most pple just shrugged off like: "Yes, it is horrible but what else can you expect from them?" which imo is really a pity, because it shows the standing of the Cath. church here at the moment.

Edited by southeast

Agreed.

Growing up in a religion free society I can understand why he says religion is important for ethics, since I know how horrible a society can be when pple don't believe in anything except money.

On the other side now I live in Bavaria, the most catholic region in Germany and most pple around me are Catholics. Most of my friends, relatives etc. share his opinion on the subject so I am not at all astonished at his views, it is the "normal" opinion about the Cath. church and on those specific topics where I live. I would define it as a kind of "Middle European mixed conservative-liberal" point of view. Even the recent scandal about child abuse was something most pple just shrugged off like: "Yes, it is horrible but what else can you expect from them?" which imo is really a pity, because it shows the standing of the Cath. church here in the moment.

i´m not religious at all,i think last time i went to the church,it was when i baptized my son four years ago,and i did it (to baptize him) because it´s a tradition,not because i really need a priest to put water over my son....

but Church is an institution and of course there have been faults. but i also know that Church is doing a great job in Africa,helping people,and in the small villages in centre of Spain,where there are no money enough, the Church uses to help people.

i think,about the child abuses,that justice should do its own duty. and pederast must be behind bars FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE... but as in everything in this world,there are good and bad,as mika says. i was :shocked: when i saw the Vaticano... if they just sell all the gold they have there,there would be no hungry in world for a long season

He is very intelligent. This shows that once again!

I do agree with him. I like the churches, but I don't like the whole situation going on right now. All the scandals, the pretend. It's not for me so I like to avoid active part of the religion.

i´m not religious at all,i think last time i went to the church,it was when i baptized my son four years ago,and i did it (to baptize him) because it´s a tradition,not because i really need a priest to put water over my son....

but Church is an institution and of course there have been faults. but i also know that Church is doing a great job in Africa,helping people,and in the small villages in centre of Spain,where there are no money enough, the Church uses to help people.

i think,about the child abuses,that justice should do its own duty. and pederast must be behind bars FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE... but as in everything in this world,there are good and bad,as mika says. i was :shocked: when i saw the Vaticano... if they just sell all the gold they have there,there would be no hungry in world for a long season

Yes, it's easy to look at the faults of the church, and not see the good that is done through organisations like Tear Fund in Africa and other third world places. I used to be a Catholic, but left that church because I didn't agree with a lot of the teachings. Now I am a Methodist, and even that denomination is nothing like the Wesley Brothers envisaged when they started it up.

Like Mika, I tend to use my own spirituality, and some common sense, to basically draw my own line in the sand. But I do use the Bible and prayer, as a guideline. With both those things in balance, that's how I get by.

For example: The stuff about the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, which zealots often refer to as a reason to hate gay people, is grossly misinterpreted.

Those citizens were not ordinary kind-and-thoughtful gay people in loving consenting relationships with each other, they were a bunch of rapists, that's why they were destroyed. So that's why, even as a Christian, I don't see a loving gay relationship as a sin.

The only part about church that I like is the stained glass windows. :teehee:

I've never actually been inside a church, though, so I guess I can neither like or dislike it. :bleh:

Although I don't believe at all, I love visiting churches (the buildings), looking at the art, at the architecture, .... I'm always in awe with that....but I also have that with mosques, synagogues, etc...I just love beautiful buildings. :wink2:

Yes, it's easy to look at the faults of the church, and not see the good that is done through organisations like Tear Fund in Africa and other third world places. I used to be a Catholic, but left that church because I didn't agree with a lot of the teachings. Now I am a Methodist, and even that denomination is nothing like the Wesley Brothers envisaged when they started it up.

Like Mika, I tend to use my own spirituality, and some common sense, to basically draw my own line in the sand. But I do use the Bible and prayer, as a guideline. With both those things in balance, that's how I get by.

For example: The stuff about the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, which zealots often refer to as a reason to hate gay people, is grossly misinterpreted.

Those citizens were not ordinary kind-and-thoughtful gay people in loving consenting relationships with each other, they were a bunch of rapists, that's why they were destroyed. So that's why, even as a Christian, I don't see a loving gay relationship as a sin.

That's a very important issue. Lots of problems arise because of interpretation. I understand that within any religion - not only the Catholic one - 'rules' are important, because otherwise there wouldn't be a consistent message, but this causes problems.

Another example, is gender within the Church: it isn't stated anywhere that Catholic priests should only be men. It's a choice that was made ages ago.

The only part about church that I like is the stained glass windows. :teehee:

I've never actually been inside a church, though, so I guess I can neither like or dislike it. :bleh:

I will take you to Westminster Abbey. It is in the top 3 must-sees for London.

And the bells of St. Paul bounce and echo over the surrounding buildings and make the most spectacular sound. You can climb up into the perfectly round dome and hear what people are whispering on the other side due to the acoustics. You can also climb further up onto the roof outside and see the entire city and Westminster from there. There are relatively few buildings over 6 storeys in London so the churches still tower over most others.

I love the churches in Europe because of their role in society and history over the centuries. They were at least as influential as the government, if not more so, in the running of the country and in people's daily lives.

Although I don't believe at all, I love visiting churches (the buildings), looking at the art, at the architecture, .... I'm always in awe with that....but I also have that with mosques, synagogues, etc...I just love beautiful buildings. :wink2:

same here. :biggrin2:

it's so fab that mika is doing this column, it's just like a blog. :wub2: AND even better, we know that we'll get a new one every month. :fangurl: btw, do we know for how long this is going? end of this year? 12 months? longer? :dunno:

It doesn't have to be about money. You can have humanitarianism without religion. There is a very firm separation of church and state in Canada, but the government has taken a lead role in promoting tolerance and acceptance in Canadian society and assuring the welfare of all through social safety nets. It has done more than its fair share on the world stage in providing peacekeeping and humanitarian efforts to countries in need, as well as accepting refugees into Canada. Canada is a very multicultural society so our shared values are not based on religion IMO. I grew up without any religious influence whatsoever and support the values of most Canadians.

It doesn't have to be about money. You can have humanitarianism without religion. There is a very firm separation of church and state in Canada, but the government has taken a lead role in promoting tolerance and acceptance in Canadian society and assuring the welfare of all through social safety nets. It has done more than its fair share on the world stage in providing peacekeeping and humanitarian efforts to countries in need, as well as accepting refugees into Canada. Canada is a very multicultural society so our shared values are not based on religion IMO. I grew up without any religious influence whatsoever and support the values of most Canadians.

Agree with you entirely :thumb_yello:

That's the reason why so many of my friends left Bulgaria to live in Canada after the fall of the Iron Curtain. :wink2: Nothing humanitarian in my home country with or without religion, earlier or now. :no:

Mika impress me in this column, he thinks really well, really brillant:clap:

Agreed.

Religion at the beginning of human societies was used not only because people believe in a god but also to give rules (no killing, respect of the family,....) because there were no state which existe at that times. That's why in our countries you could be condamne to prison if you kill someone, if you rob something. If we don't have rules it's anarchie, we can't live in society. People could kill, rape, rob what they want without be punish and other people will live reclusive and in fear.

In our times there's countries which are islamic republic who use religion to condamne people to death or torture or the both and most of times for things which are not crimes :shocked:

The roman catholic church hide and tolerate homosexuality if it's hide.

But in Iran for example homosexuals are condamne to death :shocked:

I don't think the problem is religion but more the way people used religion, finally it is more a problem of human stupidity :aah:

I will take you to Westminster Abbey. It is in the top 3 must-sees for London.

And the bells of St. Paul bounce and echo over the surrounding buildings and make the most spectacular sound. You can climb up into the perfectly round dome and hear what people are whispering on the other side due to the acoustics. You can also climb further up onto the roof outside and see the entire city and Westminster from there. There are relatively few buildings over 6 storeys in London so the churches still tower over most others.

I love the churches in Europe because of their role in society and history over the centuries. They were at least as influential as the government, if not more so, in the running of the country and in people's daily lives.

:thumb_yello:

and i add, the gothic cathedrals in Spain are so intense and beautiful, so inspiring!

I lived in Toronto for two months and I saw lots of contradictions in your country, though. Poverty is still a big issue in some cities and violence is part of everyday life more than here. In the newspaper I used to get for free in subway stations there were lots of explicit advertisements of Asian women ready to sell their body and that was considered “normal”. (I talked about it with my Canadian teacher and she looked at me sort of: you primitive Italian woman! :shun: ). And the same happened in the gay neighbourhood: lots of explicit posters with half naked guys attached along the streets. At least in my country there is more control as far as visual messages are concerned. :aah: Perhaps it’s just because the Vatican City is close and we are bigots, but I’m glad about that anyway. :boxed:

I don't think the problem is religion but more the way people used religion, finally it is more a problem of human stupidity :aah:

For sure! :sad:

So, Italian MFCers, what topic would you like him to write on next time?

Berlusconi?

Italian fashion?

His favorite Italian composer/musician?

The secret of his famous pasta tomato sauce?

Italian soccer? (:mf_rosetinted:)

politics? :no:

composer/musician would be ok.

hmmm not fashion. it gets boring.

pasta tomato sauce? i'd prefer Robie's :teehee:

italian soccer? :no:

i'll let him surprise me! :wub2: