I love the old churches, the architechture is magnificent. Bath Abbey, Bristol and Salisbury Cathedrals, are stunning. I DO NOT like the new ones, like Clifton and Liverpool cathedrals, they are totally souless, and look more like concert venues than churches. Liverpool Metropolitan cathedral is even nicknamed "Paddys WigWam"

250px-Metropolitan_Cathedral_of_Christ_the_King_in_Liverpool_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1304.jpg

Looks more like something that fell off a space ship!:sneaky2:

It used to also be nicknamed, 'The Mersey Funnell'. I went on a trip to see it, not long after it was built, with my Auntie. It's quite nice inside. It is built in the round, with the alter in the middle and the seats all around. It's a bit of a culture shock for people who love the more traditional church. I also went to see the Anglican Cathederal after that was built and it's lovely inside. Very traditional, with a huge stained-glass-window over the alter.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to see old churches you should come to my country, they're mucking about everywhere!:wink2:

This is the one closest to me and my favourite:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Brannkyrka_kyrka_view1.jpg

in old churches here, the cemetaries are often close to/on church properties. i guess it was the best way to have your loved ones close to god then. :dunno:

in old churches here, the cemetaries are often close to/on church properties. i guess it was the best way to have your loved ones close to god then. :dunno:

It's the same here. There is a large cemetery around the church and even a memorial garden where my old relatives are resting.:wub2:

Anyway, going "on topic" again, and back to Mika's column, I must admit that when I read the first comments about it I had great expectations, and that I didn't feel the same once I read the whole thing. I guess that I just can't see where he's coming from, where he talks about picking bits that he agrees with and others that he doesn't. The way I see it, if one supports a particular church, they will be part of the driving force behind it, so if they disagree with fundamental aspects of it, it is their social responsability to not support them, and perhaps find a different church to be a part of, which they agree with more.

Otherwise, things never change, and these churches just carry on more and more powerful, counting on the "numbers" behind them.

Anyway, going "on topic" again, and back to Mika's column, I must admit that when I read the first comments about it I had great expectations, and that I didn't feel the same once I read the whole thing. I guess that I just can't see where he's coming from, where he talks about picking bits that he agrees with and others that he doesn't. The way I see it, if one supports a particular church, they will be part of the driving force behind it, so if they disagree with fundamental aspects of it, it is their social responsability to not support them, and perhaps find a different church to be a part of, which they agree with more.

Otherwise, things never change, and these churches just carry on more and more powerful, counting on the "numbers" behind them.

In Germany thousands of pple have left the church in the last months because of the recent scandals about money, child abuse and idiotic commentaries of some cardinals on sensitive topics. Pple leave the church all the time, but at the moment the exodus is really amazing. Most of them just don't want to pay any church taxes to support the church and the pretty comfortable lifestyle of priests and cardinals. Many of my friends prefer to donate the same sum of money they should otherwise pay as church taxes to some charity organisation they want to support. Not such a bad idea imo. :dunno:

He's entitled to his opinion, but I can't see the merit in picking and choosing either. For me there are so many things out of kilter with the teachings of the Church, I would find it impossible to do as he does.

I think it's particularly hard for people who were brought up as Catholics, to break away. No matter how much they want to, they never seem to be able to shake off the the teachings of childhood, even when they say they don't believe what they were taught.

For me apart from the fact that in a lot of Church teachings there is so much intolerance, I am with those who believe that the Church and the Bible are ancient tools to keep the rich rich and the masses in their place.

I think it's particularly hard for people who were brought up as Catholics, to break away. No matter how much they want to, they never seem to be able to shake off the the teachings of childhood, even when they say they don't believe what they were taught.

hmm, maybe that's true for those whose parents were really strict catholics, who teach their kids that god will punish them if they ever leave church, or anything like that... i guess stuff like that might stick with you. or if you're part of your local church community, you have friends there, and although you don't agree with everything the pope says, you don't want to leave this community (not every priest agrees with the pope either...). but i was brought up as a catholic, and left church as soon as they wanted taxes from me. :bleh: i had to go to church every sunday as a kid, and from age 6-10, i even went to a catholic school, where 90% of the teachers were nuns. but i stopped believing in god at some point, like i stopped believing in fairytale figures like santa claus or the easter bunny.

i must admit though that i'd probably still be a member of the catholic church, if i didn't have to pay taxes for it. so in a way, you might be right. it's just such a common thing that you grow up with, that it feels weird to leave - like a club you've belonged to all your life, even if the purpose of the club doesn't have any meaning to you anymore, you still feel some sort of loyalty. it's childhood memories (i remember how happy i was at my First Communion, because i got to wear a pretty dress, and got many presents), it's the celebrations that i wouldn't want to miss (like christmas or easter), it's the things you grow up with that you always think you'd be doing some time in your life, because it's just "normal", and/or a family tradition (like getting married in a church in a white dress, or having your kids baptized). and well, tbh, i wouldn't want to miss childhood memories like that, and i don't know yet what i'll do if i have kids. it's just traditions, and something you can hardly get away from - like, try to ignore christmas, guess that'd be quite hard. :bleh: especially for children, if all their classmates and friends are celebrating it.

He's entitled to his opinion, but I can't see the merit in picking and choosing either. For me there are so many things out of kilter with the teachings of the Church, I would find it impossible to do as he does.

For me apart from the fact that in a lot of Church teachings there is so much intolerance, I am with those who believe that the Church and the Bible are ancient tools to keep the rich rich and the masses in their place.

That's true. My mum was brought up as Catholic and she will never be able to break away with that sort of practise and point of view. I belong to the Ortodox church but thanks to my late dad I managed to avoid all the burden which traditional and even conservative education can give you.

The younger generations in my country are extremely exposed to the manipulation with religious feelings though.

Thanks for this article :)

That's the first time I heard him talk about faith, that's kind of new... And what he said does not really surprised me, he is just himself.

I like to go inside of churches also, I like the atmosphere there and when people sing, but for the rest I guess I am just a believer of something highter than us...

Edited by Etoile2roses

I just read the column!

I don't agree with him in everything he said but I do admire the way he put his words in a very artistic and decent way to such a controvercial topic. Especially because he managed to avoid insults and harsh words to make his point (as many public figures tend to do). No doubt his a true artist

On the other hand, I gotta say, catholic schools seem to cause the same efect in everybody. I studied in one for 14 years and all my classmates and friends from other cath schools happened to go throw the same thing. At some point we all rejected what was being presented to us.

But I think if you're born in a religous family (as some of you had said) is really hard to completly detach yourself from it. Becuase, we are humans and we can't control everything in this life, so for those mayor moments we wish we could, we turn to religion, it gives (as mika said) a sense of security in something we are completly unable to control. It's like running to your family whenever you have problems eventhough you know they can solve it, is just a feeling of comfort and safety, becasue that's where you come from.

Hope to read more columns from Mika, it's wonderful to be able to have a glance of his thoughts.

" I disagree with what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it" Voltaire

T4P:flowers2::flowers2:

This is going to be really hard to talk about in English :aah: but I'll give it try.

Many times I have found that people who are not religious, atheists and agnostics seem to know so much more about religions and above all are taking these discussions and religious behaviour very seriously.

My grandfather was a true atheist, like all my family members are, and he knew so much about Christianity and religions in general that he could challenge any priest in a discussion, which he also did!:teehee:

Growing up like I did in a non religious environment, free to believe or not believe, was perhaps so much easier than have to break free from a religion or faith.

Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings but I really can't take prayers seriously.

But to have a moment to collect ones thoughts and focus before for example a big performance is absolutely logical to me!:wink2:

oh babs! that is such a nice cathedral. your country is so rich of history and lovely architectures. i want to visit it so bad. :wub2:

this is the Notre-Dame basilica of Montreal. it is absolutely gorgeous.

the construction was started in 1832, but took many decades to finish it.

arson also destroyed part of it in the 70s, but they managed to retain its architectures. Famous people have ceremonies there. It is the church used for Pierre-Elliot Trudeau's funeral (past prime minister of Canada) and also famous people get married there, such as my favorite signer, Celine Dion :aah:

cathedrale.jpg

http://www.basiliquenddm.org/en/

i also love to go inside small country churches. they have their own richness.

oh babs! that is such a nice cathedral. your country is so rich of history and lovely architectures. i want to visit it so bad. :wub2:

this is the Notre-Dame basilica of Montreal. it is absolutely gorgeous.

the construction was started in 1832, but took many decades to finish it.

arson also destroyed part of it in the 70s, but they managed to retain its architectures. Famous people have ceremonies there. It is the church used for Pierre-Elliot Trudeau's funeral (past prime minister of Canada) and also famous people get married there, such as my favorite signer, Celine Dion :aah:

cathedrale.jpg

I got married int the first church built in Canada (and I even think it's in North America). It's in my hometown, Quebec City.

http://www.quebec-guidetouristique.com/vieux-port/Eglise-Notre-Dame-des-Victoires/

small but beautiful:biggrin2:

Since it is in the middle of the tourist district, load of people watch me enter the church and took pictures when we got out, including one gentleman from Ireland, and hundred of japanese tourists:naughty:

@ guylaine That's pretty impressive too, I can sense the peaceful atmosphere just by looking a the picture.

it does give a sense of peacefulness, it is so beautiful to look at.

Montreal, being an older city (well, North America standard that is...), does have beautiful architectures.

when i worked in Montreal, if i looked in the horizon, this was the view from my window. It is the Montreal St-Joseph Oratory. Very religious people are often seen climbing the 233 steps on their knees. more then 2 million people visit it every year, some in hopes of a health miracle.

Montreal_St_Joseph_Oratory.jpg

Check out this virtual tour of Bath Abbey, it's amazing.

http://www.bathabbey.org/Web%20Page%20-%20Mini%20Tour/index.html

It´s amazing to discover a church with the virtual tour if you can´t see it in real life. Thank you Rose.

Hello Guy, your pic is also very amazing, it´s a wonderful church :thumb_yello:

Sorry I haven't read all of the discussion but I did read that Mika picking the bits he agrees with or likes about 'his' church is something that's not so easy to understand. I totally see where's he's coming from. He just doesn't exclude the religious part from his universal source of inspiration. And I guess this is a brilliant thing and also a huge part of the reason why he is so good at what he does. Not the religion in particular. More the non-exclusive approach he has. He just makes use of literally everything he comes across. I think I once have read in one of his interviews that he likes services for the theatrical aspect. And that totally makes sense to me even though I haven't been a church goer for about 15 years now. Especially the catholic church is good about theatre and altar servers choreography and such things. :teehee: In another interview (I think in Australia back in 2007) he said that influences are everywhere.

Oh, and I don't really think he talks about the concept of the catholic church as in dogmata when it comes to the bits he likes about it. I guess there it's more of the perception he had of a church service when he was a child. Memories are sticky and such a service can be pretty impressive, especially on high Christian holidays.

When it comes to supporting the Catholic Church and their antiquated view in general, I agree with what Sariflor said. Supporting the institution in general, even though they maintain so many ideas that are just inhuman in this day and age, that's not really the way to go.

I got married int the first church built in Canada (and I even think it's in North America). It's in my hometown, Quebec City.

http://www.quebec-guidetouristique.com/vieux-port/Eglise-Notre-Dame-des-Victoires/

small but beautiful:biggrin2:

Since it is in the middle of the tourist district, load of people watch me enter the church and took pictures when we got out, including one gentleman from Ireland, and hundred of japanese tourists:naughty:

oh i think i was there this summer :naughty:

is it facing this?

P1010185.jpg

and is this the building to the left of it?

P1010184.jpg

unfortunately, i didn't take a pic of the church... many tourists were taking group pictures in front of it. it is a beautiful church :wub2:

cathedrale.jpg

:shocked: This church is so beautiful!!

Here in Montpellier there are a lot of churches :roftl: (I love so much churches... I'm served :aah:)

Those two are close to my place: St Roch and St Anne, both built in the 19th century

photo12-gf.jpg

3833141388_70864a7e02.jpg

And the cathedral St Pierre (so huge and overwhelming) built in the 14th century

IMG_0433-2-1.jpg