Mika's Sister in Serious Accident

dcdeb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cards sound nice in theory, but can you imagine the amount of expense involved...buying and sending cards? Surely if we all donated the one pound instead of a card (or OK, in addition to a card if a decision is made to send cards)... we could actually do something more worthwhile for the rescue service who did such an amazing job for Paloma, and continue to do an amazing job every day, for lots of people who aren't from famous families.:wub2:

This is what I was thinking, Iona. That if we donate to the actual HEMS people, it benefits many people, and in the future too. It's not "lost" in the moment as a perishable gift, if you know what I mean.

Anyone see their "wish list" page?

THIRD SECTION under "SUPPORT US"

like, for instance,

where they say they want a dishwasher for their living quarters at the hospital!

http://www.londonsairambulance.com/SecureStore/welcome.aspx?Q1788=30&J847=x30&A988=&NL477=&F=&G=&C=&SC=&S9=0&UT1=&R=1&S=&RE=www.londonsairambulance.com&D=32

I think that this is a great idea! It would make their daily lives easier, as they say, and I personally think that this is a far more tangible thing for the actual people who do the job every day than anything else :biggrin2:.

I haven't seen their staff area upstairs in the helipad myself, but having been in the one in the downstairs A&E, and them saying that the helipad one is worse, I reckon that they could do with a LOT of help and some mod cons :roftl:.

Yeah, an online page with the cards (like .jpg or .pdf format) would be a nice idea too! :thumb_yello:

Yes, I also think that if she/they want to see the messages, then they can go to the site, but it's a non-invasive way of providing support "on demand" when she wants it; Winner all round :biggrin2:.

we already have a thread for Paloma and a guestbook by mikafans.net! i know there are some pages made on facebook for Paloma too :thumb_yello:

Aye! So probably no need for a new one? Just consolidate everyone's messages on those places?

i'm not keen on projects in this occasion, sorry.

they seem to have received stuff already, and Paloma seems such a private girl.

i'm totally for a charity action, which i'm sure Mika and his family will appreciate a lot.

I agree, Robi.

Personally, I would prefer personal donations rather than one big MFC one. If I donate, I will just do it myself, because they I can actually give more for my donation as Nectar explained. Being a UK tax payer this is the most efficient and intelligent solution. Why pay the same amount, and they see less cash, for no particularly good reason? It doesn't matter if the donations go all in together as one or in many different ones, because at the end of the day they will get there anyway. If we donate, it's for the cause, not in order to "be seen", so I don't see the point in having to make it one big MFC donation for it to have more value, if you know what I mean?

If many UK people are donating via pooling their cash, they are effectively LOSING the charity money, because each one of them is donating a tiny bit less than they would -for the same amount of cash that they are investing now- , and that money would be going to the charity if they were paying individually.

Why do that? Don't we want the charity to get as much net cash as we can from people's donations? I think that sacrificing the "one big MFC donation" idea in benefit of them getting more actual money from it is the smarter move to make, IMHO.

Also, if it's done individually, everyone can just go and do it and it's faster. If MFC have to coordinate something it will be a royal pain: first set up an account that people can donate to, and not everyone will be able to use paypal or whatever they want to use to do so...then with paypal there are costs involved when one sends or receives money anyway, so a lot of cash will be lost "in transit". It also means time lost in "man hours" organising and coordinating. We'd need a deadline, people to adhere to it, then the MFC reps sending it on......Isn't it much more efficient to let everyone just do their own thing? :dunno:

Don't get me wrong, I do think that "one big donation in the name of MFC" is a nice idea, but I just don't think that it's justifiable from a practical point of view in this situation.

Me too. And I think one bouquet of flowers on behalf of the MFC is a great idea too. Why not do both? Receiving (a normal amount of) flowers after an accident isn't trivial in my opinion.

I was relieved to read the update yesterday :thumb_yello:.

I totally agree with that :thumb_yello: The donation is a wonderfull idea :wub2:

And maybe sending only one bouquet of flowers will avoid that many bunches will be send individually...

how come i didn't see that!!!!

whoa i love this idea sooooo much!!!! :wub2:

i'm so in :wink2:

we already have a thread for Paloma and a guestbook by mikafans.net! i know there are some pages made on facebook for Paloma too :thumb_yello:

It's a good idea the online pages but I think we should start a new guestbook with more "positive" messages now we know she's ok. Don't know...

But whatever will be decided, I'll support the idea :thumb_yello:

Donaiting is a very good Idea :thumb_yello:.

I´m a nurse and we have here a lot of promblems with the hundrets of flowers , the smell ist horrible in the rooms and we put them every evening outside the rooms.

I forgot to say that we should be thankful that we got such an update on mikasounds.com, because it really wasn't due to us fans. I expected a more general "she will be ok", instead of a long post. Perhaps they thought to write more because they saw how involved we were. :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, I'll support whatever is decided too, either one big MFC donation to the air ambulance people, or individual donations.

Not sure of the logistics of how it would work if it's one donation? Someone (one of the mods?) would presumably have to organise it all, and we would send the money (via Paypal or something) to them...

I do agree about the gift aid thing, which for us UK tax payers means that our individual charity donations would qualify and therefore the recipient actually receives more. Also their website is already set up to receive donations so it might be simpler.

Hopefully an MFC decision will be made shortly as to the best way this can work, and someone will post it on here!

I forgot to say that we should be thankful that we got such an update on mikasounds.com, because it really wasn't due to us fans. I expected a more general "she will be ok", instead of a long post. Perhaps they thought to write more because they saw how involved we were. :blush-anim-cl:

I was very surprised to have such a long update too. I have read some articles in the French media and most of them state that he wrote this in order to reassure the fans and to thank them for support. To me it looked more 'detached' from fans, which would be completely normal in this context, but journalists thought differently.

I really don't think individual cards are necessary. Someone from Paloma's family would have to deal with gathering all the cards, which would be extra work they don't necessarily need right now. :dunno:

We could possibly arrange some sort of online gallery in which we could allow people to draw/design e-cards and upload them as images, if it seems enough people want to do that...?

Yeah, an online page with the cards (like .jpg or .pdf format) would be a nice idea too! :thumb_yello:

Yes, I also think that if she/they want to see the messages, then they can go to the site, but it's a non-invasive way of providing support "on demand" when she wants it; Winner all round :biggrin2:

I vote for a donation (global or individual tbd) + 1 big bouquet of flowers on behalf of MFC + an online page to send our cards or messages :thumb_yello:

i like how the uk works for donations and taxes and all that jazz.

living in a civilized country must be awesome :mf_rosetinted:

I know what you mean, even my little country with its mostly good rumour has a thing or two to learn from the UK!:thumb_yello::wink2:

Donaiting is a very good Idea :thumb_yello:.

I´m a nurse and we have here a lot of promblems with the hundrets of flowers , the smell ist horrible in the rooms and we put them every evening outside the rooms.

Good point, Tina. Plus let's remember that this is not a nice, quaint, private facility where she has a lovely large individual room that resembles a hotel room :naughty:.

This is one of the busiest NHS Hospitals in London, and she is most likely in one of the most chaotic areas of it, where staff are already overworked and overstretched, and not really in the position to be working as "receptionists" delivering things to the wards, etc... I really don't want to be a wet blanket on this, but I feel the need to keep bringing it up because I can just see that people might get carried away and start inundating the poor hospital with things. Also, in the mikasounds post it doesn't say if those gifts were sent to the hospital, so I reckon that many were actually sent to their/her home.

I know what you mean, even my little country with its mostly good rumour has a thing or two to learn from the UK!:thumb_yello::wink2:

Oh, I'm sure that Sweden can live up to its sophisticated rep :roftl:

Yes, I'll support whatever is decided too, either one big MFC donation to the air ambulance people, or individual donations.

Not sure of the logistics of how it would work if it's one donation? Someone (one of the mods?) would presumably have to organise it all, and we would send the money (via Paypal or something) to them...

I do agree about the gift aid thing, which for us UK tax payers means that our individual charity donations would qualify and therefore the recipient actually receives more. Also their website is already set up to receive donations so it might be simpler.

Hopefully an MFC decision will be made shortly as to the best way this can work, and someone will post it on here!

The problem with Paypal is that one needs to pay a high percentage of their transaction in "fees", which added up would be a great loss of money. It just seems pointless and very inefficient :dunno:

I totally agree with that :thumb_yello: The donation is a wonderfull idea :wub2:

And maybe sending only one bouquet of flowers will avoid that many bunches will be send individually...

It's a good idea the online pages but I think we should start a new guestbook with more "positive" messages now we know she's ok. Don't know...

But whatever will be decided, I'll support the idea :thumb_yello:

That was my thought too.

I was very surprised that they gave an update, I didn't actually expect any. But I was very relieved to read the good news :wub2:

I liked the idea of making one donation together, but if it's easier and more efficient to do it separate, that's fine too :thumb_yello:

The last thing I mean is to be controversial, but I fear that I'm being thick now. Could someone explain why people insist in having one donation instead of personal multiple ones, when it has been explained that it will be far more efficient and economical to make them individually?

Am I missing something? This is an honest question, btw. Not one put to cause drama. I genuinely don't understand why people would rather lose money and incur in more costs by making "one MFC donation" rather than making their own, and I would like to understand it.

The last thing I mean is to be controversial, but I fear that I'm being thick now. Could someone explain why people insist in having one donation instead of personal multiple ones, when it has been explained that it will be far more efficient and economical to make them individually?

Am I missing something? This is an honest question, btw. Not one put to cause drama. I genuinely don't understand why people would rather lose money and incur in more costs by making "one MFC donation" rather than making their own, and I would like to understand it.

Perhaps because money doesn't really matter atm? And because we feel like doing something together since MFC is an official fan community?

Perhaps because money doesn't really matter atm? And because we feel like doing something together since MFC is an official fan community?

Of course in a life or death situation money doesn't matter, but this isn't a life or death situation now, and also, if people's motives are to genuinely help the HEMS service and other patients, then their money would be better spent in actually helping them, rather than paying Paypal fees in multiple transactions :dunno:

When it comes to donations to charities, every pound counts. If 500 people donate an extra pound instead of paying it to Paypal for an added transaction that will need to then be replicated from MFC to the Hems, that is 500 more pounds, which is substantial. It can get them two dishwashers :naughty:

What I'm trying to say is that money may not matter to you now, but it will matter to the charity.

Also, maybe my focus is totally wrong, but this is the MIKA fan community. Paloma works with him, but she seems to keep in the shadows a lot, not seeking fan contact, etc...I'm sure that she will appreciate any token of interest from anyone, but really, does it matter to her that she gets one big "present" from her brother's fanclub? Will it make a difference to her if she knows that people's efforts have been put into individual donations?

I understand people's desire to do something as a community, but I can only understand that up to the point where it remains practical. When it starts being clear that it's not practical or efficient doing it like that, I just don't see the point, to be honest.

Anyway, each to their own I guess.

I guess it is not clear for you and others what "losing money" means in this case.

What Sariflor meant is that if you decide you would spend 10 EUR on this donation, the hospital would only get a certain percentage of it (not sure how much, maybe around 8-9 EUR?) because Paypal would charge that much for these cash transfers and they will need to charge twice. (That is, of course, if it is one big project instead of the individual donation, in which case the hospital would get all the money)

If, however, a UK fan decided to do the same, there would be even more me money lost as the UK government gives an additional 30% to any amount donated.

So it is NOT YOUR MONEY BUT THE HOSPITAL'S that we are talking about. They would receive 30% more from the UK fans’ donation if it was an individual one

Anyway, I am ok with whatever decision is made, I just wanted people to understand the difference. Perhaps you can choose what is more suitable for you. I don't use Paypal, for example :dunno:

Of course in a life or death situation money doesn't matter, but this isn't a life or death situation now, and also, if people's motives are to genuinely help the HEMS service and other patients, then their money would be better spent in actually helping them, rather than paying Paypal fees in multiple transactions :dunno:

When it comes to donations to charities, every pound counts. If 500 people donate an extra pound instead of paying it to Paypal for an added transaction that will need to then be replicated from MFC to the Hems, that is 500 more pounds, which is substantial. It can get them two dishwashers :naughty:

What I'm trying to say is that money may not matter to you now, but it will matter to the charity.

Also, maybe my focus is totally wrong, but this is the MIKA fan community. Paloma works with him, but she seems to keep in the shadows a lot, not seeking fan contact, etc...I'm sure that she will appreciate any token of interest from anyone, but really, does it matter to her that she gets one big "present" from her brother's fanclub? Will it make a difference to her if she knows that people's efforts have been put into individual donations?

I understand people's desire to do something as a community, but I can only understand that up to the point where it remains practical. When it starts being clear that it's not practical or efficient doing it like that, I just don't see the point, to be honest.

Anyway, each to their own I guess.

I guess it is not clear for you and others what "losing money" means in this case.

What Sariflor meant is that if you decide you would spend 10 EUR on this donation, the hospital would only get a certain percentage of it (not sure how much, maybe around 8-9 EUR?) because Paypal would charge that much for these cash transfers and they will need to charge twice. (That is, of course, if it is one big project instead of the individual donation, in which case the hospital would get all the money)

If, however, a UK fan decided to do the same, there would be even more me money lost as the UK government will give an additional 30% to the money donated already.

So it is NOT YOUR MONEY BUT THE HOSPITAL'S that we are talking about. They would receive 30% more from the UK fans’ donation

Anyway, I am ok with whatever decision is made, I just wanted people to understand the difference. Perhaps you can choose what is more suitable for you. I don't use Paypal, for example :dunno:

I think everyone is aware of what you are saying, but maybe think it would be a nice gesture to do it under the MFC banner.

I was looking, for myself, at the standing order, option last night, to send a few pounds a month for the next few months, as I don't have a card. But if it gets organised on here to so it as a group, I'd be happy to join in.

I was wondering if anyone from the UK used their PayPal account, could they use the Gift Aid facility, or do PayPal just not let you at all?

I think everyone is aware of what you are saying, but maybe think it would be a nice gesture to do it under the MFC banner.

I was looking, for myself, at the standing order, option last night, to send a few pounds a month for the next few months, as I don't have a card. But if it gets organised on here to so it as a group, I'd be happy to join in.

I was wondering if anyone from the UK used their PayPal account, could they use the Gift Aid facility, or do PayPal just not let you at all?

The problem with Paypal is that it charges you a fee per transaction, which is a percentage of what you are spending. So if you pay to MFC via Paypal (and how would one pay to MFC otherwise, if MFC were to send it all in one go? You can't send a money order to MFC...And in your case, Rose, how would you send the cash to MFC if you don't have a card or Paypal?) you are paying for a transaction fee there.

Then, once MFC has all the funds, they need to send it to the charity, which will be again another fee (proportional to the total amount). This is what I mean: the money is being thrown away in fees to Paypal.

The Gift Aid facilty is only in place when you are paying the charity directly, I think, but in any case you'd be losing money that could be put to better use. And at the end of the day, if our aim is to help the charity, why does it matter that it's "officially from MFC"? That won't matter to the HEMS or to the patients

EDIT:

Oh, and something else that I thought of in practical terms: in order to Paypal money, one needs to know the recipient's email address, and you get to see their billing address once you send the cash. Which means that everyone would need to know someone's email address (whoever in MFC would be taking care of getting all the money sent to them and then sending to the HEMS) and this person would also have all their contact details disclosed to everyone who donated.

Am I really the only one who sees this as a huge mess that can be easily avoided by just donating individually?!

I am going to donate myself on the HEMs website.

I don't want to contribute to a MFC donation as I want all of my money to go to the charity, not to Paypal or the government. (the charity will get 30% more as they will be able to reclaim the tax I've paid in the UK on my donation and Paypal charge fees for money transfers)

As someone said, the money isn't important, or where it came from, just that they get it so they may continue to help other people as they helped Paloma and in my view the best way to do that is to contribute individually.

Archived