Mika's Sister in Serious Accident

dcdeb

Donaiting is a very good Idea :thumb_yello:.

I´m a nurse and we have here a lot of promblems with the hundrets of flowers , the smell ist horrible in the rooms and we put them every evening outside the rooms.

Something to consider . . .

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No you are not :naughty:

Really - the simplest thing is to make an individual donation direct to the charity. Any other way

a) makes work for someone on MFC

b) incurs transaction costs eg to paypal

c) loses gift aid (this has to go direct to the charity for the tax to be reclaimed)

And even a bunch of flowers may be a problem since many wards won't let patients have them (my mother wasn't allowed flowers :no:)

Really - the online messages and direct individual donations are the best option :thumb_yello:

Thanks :roftl:. Of course, I totally agree with this. It's exactly what I was saying. The best way forward for sure.

I don't think it's that simple. I guess this is not only giving money to charity. I think people want to also comfort themselves and show their support by doing something useful and doing it as a group.

And I don't say it should be like that, and it is a pure and good thing to only give, but I can understand it and I think it's quite human. I liked the idea of doing it together. I think we might even raise more money that way, because more people would be involved. But I perfectly see the points Sara and Suzie made earlier, and making it individually is far more efficient :thumb_yello:

I totally understand people's need for comfort, to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, that is not the point of giving, right? I know that it's only human nature, but really, we are not personally known to Paloma, and I'm sure that her and the whole family are very aware of the level of support that they have in this fanclub. I don't think that they need to see it in the form of a "tangible MFC donation", if you know what I mean.

So whatever the decision will be, I think it's just fine. And donating money to the hospital is much better solution than bothering Mika and his family with hundreds of flowers and cards etc etc. I'm sure he knows we all care.

I think that the only rational decision possible has already been stated...That people who wish to donate, do so directly to the HEMS charity :wink2:

I'm thinking the same thing. If everyone sends individual cards and gifts it could be a nusence to them. I'm thinking also of the staff in the hospital who have to look after the patients, not run around with sacks of gifts like Santa Clause. That's why I'm not going to send one. I've left messages in various threads and other places on the internet. Also on Mikasounds website. I'm also still praying for her recovery and for Mika and the rest of the family. I think that will be enough.

Exactly. I had visions of the poor hospital staff carting crap around and not being able to do anything with it, and it horrified me :naughty:

This is what I find a bit disturbing though, Tiibet. I get the feeling - and tell me if I am wrong - that people only want to do a joint account because then people will *definitely* donate because it will have the MFC stamp on it, whereas if they pay individually they'll just look like someone else donated. Therefore, I get the feeling that people only want to donate as a group to be recognised, but the hospital will benefit much, much more if we donate individually. Doing it just to say "us MFCers donated! Look at how kind we are!" is just...well...a bit selfish, isn't it? This isn't about making us look good, it's about helping the hospital because we genuinely care.

I too understand that doing things as a group is a nice gesture, but in this instance, it's just better if we do it off our own backs rather than rally everyone together, because as it's already been said: Together = losing money, individually = MORE money.

And I don't want to sound harsh, but when the facts and statistics are staring at you in the face plain and simply like this, and people are STILL wanting to do it as a group DESPITE the cons, then it makes me wonder what their real motive is.

I won't be doing the group donation if it happens. I'll be doing it myself. NOT because I want to be a party pooper and disconnect myself from the fanclub (if I wanted to do that I'd just leave), but because I want the hospital to get ALL of my money because they deserve it.

I think people might donate more if they think they are doing it as a group. Not necessarily because they want to show that "it comes from MFC" but because they want to have a "group feeling" and also because they feel a pressure to donate. And yes, that sounds ugly, I know, but I think it works that way.

And I already said it should not be like this, and that I see perfectly well that it would be far more efficient to do it individually, and I think I just do it, but I think more people might donate as a group. Just guessing.

. . .

I think that this is a great idea! It would make their daily lives easier, as they say, and I personally think that this is a far more tangible thing for the actual people who do the job every day than anything else :biggrin2:.

I haven't seen their staff area upstairs in the helipad myself, but having been in the one in the downstairs A&E, and them saying that the helipad one is worse, I reckon that they could do with a LOT of help and some mod cons . . .

Hey, don't we all know a certain someone who has a couple of bright red dishwashers sitting around unused?

Seriously,

since getting a new copter for them is a little pricey, I like the dishwasher idea;

they've selected the exact model they're after and it's something they'd likely use daily . . .

I think people might donate more if they think they are doing it as a group. Not necessarily because they want to show that "it comes from MFC" but because they want to have a "group feeling" and also because they feel a pressure to donate. And yes, that sounds ugly, I know, but I think it works that way.

And I already said it should not be like this, and that I see perfectly well that it would be far more efficient to do it individually, and I think I just do it, but I think more people might donate as a group. Just guessing.

Oh I wasn't going against your post, I know that you understand that working individually is better for the hospital :thumb_yello: I was just adding to the bold bit, because I was fearing that members may have wanted to do the donation for themselves, rather than for the hospital.

I can totally understand wanting to donate in the name of MFC, but listening to the facts here, it actually does make more sense to donate individually if you live in the UK as the government pays an extra 28 pence per donation. For those of us overseas, Paypal fees eat up 3.4% of money sent, so really the hospital would be losing valuable money on these transactions.

One suggestion might be that if you wanted the hospital to know that you are from MFC, then in the online payment form where it says "Company" we could add something like (from Mika Fan Club ). Still I guess then we will all get receipts sent to us at our registered addresses as Ms. XXX (from Mika fan Club)!!

So that might not suit everyone. Let me talk to the other mods and get back to you here.

If we do individual donations, can't we still say we're from the Mika Fanclub?

That way they would know that we are donating.

I do think the individual donations make more sense and will raise more money.

Hey, don't we all know a certain someone who has a couple of bright red dishwashers sitting around unused?

Seriously, since getting a new copter for them is a little pricey, I like the dishwasher idea; they've selected the exact model they're after and it's something they'd likely use daily . . .

Yeah Mika could just give one of HIS up, selfish man! :lmfao::roftl:

I'm kidding.

BTW - nice to see you posting without any links or pictures! Good to see you in a discussion! :thumb_yello:

Wow, an awful lot can happen here while we in the US are asleep. :naughty:

I can't possibly quote everything that's been said here that I'd like to,

and you're all moving so fast... I better type quickly.

I understand that MFC would like to do a group thing -- either a big

group donation, or a group gift -- but I think we also need to look at

the practicality of this, as some of you have been pointing out.

As far as a group donation:

The mod team is looking into what makes the most sense logistically.

We do have a paypal account, but the transaction fees that would have

to be paid if we have hundreds of you making small donations to us,

and then again when we make the donation to the ambulance service,

would eat away at our contribution. That doesn't make good sense.

In addition, many of you don't have paypal, or don't have access to credit

cards.

I think the solution of making individual donations, in Paloma's name, and

including the MFC title somewhere in your name, makes a lot of sense.

About a group gift:

We could certainly send one small gift to Paloma, on behalf of the MFC,

to share our concern and acknowledge the good news that Mika reported

yesterday, and also to let her and the family know of our other efforts,

as far as the donation to the charity goes.

In this way, no one is overburdened by having to collect money, or

signatures, and not too much time will pass before we can send

something -- I think this is perhaps the most expedient and efficient

way to handle this.

I'd just ask that everyone wait a bit until we sort out the specifics -- I

think we'll have much more of an impact if we coordinate our efforts. :thumb_yello:

I totally understand people's need for comfort, to a certain degree, but at the end of the day, that is not the point of giving, right? I know that it's only human nature, but really, we are not personally known to Paloma, and I'm sure that her and the whole family are very aware of the level of support that they have in this fanclub. I don't think that they need to see it in the form of a "tangible MFC donation", if you know what I mean.

I totally agree with you. I just tried to explain why people like to do things as a group. And we definitely don't know Paloma and she seems to be very private person, and as I already wrote in my previous message, I'm sure Mika already knows that people care.

i think we can send a small bunch of flowers with a card from the MFC explaining that we are donating both individually and as a group (for the ones who are not confident with donating online - and we can find an easy way to do that, just be patient *mods at work*)

:original:

:thumb_yello:

Take your time mods, we'll be patient !

I honestly understand the 2 points of view of this debate and I agree with both of them, so I'm sure the mods will find the best way to be efficient and to satisfy everyone's feelings and wishes.

Thank you! Good to know a mod agrees that this isn't the best idea :naughty:

cards.

About a group gift:

way to handle this.

think we'll have much more of an impact if we coordinate our efforts. :thumb_yello:

Ready when you are Deb:wink2:

Wow so much info since I last checked the thread... :blink:

Ok, I must admit I understand absolutely NOTHING of money transactions and online payments and all that stuff, BUT if or donations are more helpful if we donate individually, why do it all together?

I liked the idea of a nice donation, on behalf of the MFC...it would be our "thank you" to the Rescue team for saving Paloma's life, and our contribution for them to continue doing such a great job. But if the idea is to help and not being noticed as "the kindest fan club on earth", there's no point in doing it all together, because we lose money. :boxed:

We can, however, send a card/message/mail/carrier pigeon/smoke sign to Mika telling him we decided to make donations and support to the emergency services, instead of sending Paloma 129871645 gifts. No? :dunno:

There are many ways we can help them, people should do it the way they feel more comfortable with, wether is by donating in group, donating individually, sending stuff for them to recycle (which gives them money too), buying their merchandise, whatever. The point is to help, right?

cards.

About a group gift:

way to handle this.

*Agrees with you*

cards.

About a group gift:

way to handle this.

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Wow so much info since I last checked the thread... :blink:

Ok, I must admit I understand absolutely NOTHING of money transactions and online payments and all that stuff, BUT if or donations are more helpful if we donate individually, why do it all together?

I liked the idea of a nice donation, on behalf of the MFC...it would be our "thank you" to the Rescue team for saving Paloma's life, and our contribution for them to continue doing such a great job. But if the idea is to help and not being noticed as "the kindest fan club on earth", there's no point in doing it all together, because we lose money. :boxed:

We can, however, send a card/message/mail/carrier pigeon/smoke sign to Mika telling him we decided to make donations and support to the emergency services, instead of sending Paloma 129871645 gifts. No? :dunno:

There are many ways we can help them, people should do it the way they feel more comfortable with, wether is by donating in group, donating individually, sending stuff for them to recycle (which gives them money too), buying their merchandise, whatever. The point is to help, right?

So glad that someone else agrees!

As for presents, I personally am not liking the idea of flowers. She could be allergic/have hay fever or someone else in the ward could be.

Wasn't aware of the tax system in UK. Great that it can even increase the amount of donation!

After I've read all the previous post, must agree that individual donations would probably be the most efficient way and do the most good for hospital.:thumb_yello:

Also, as stated before, if people want to, they still can indicate "MFC" while making a direct donation.

And yes, I can also understand the wish to do something together, but I guess this time it would be more useful if hospital would get the maximum of our donations. And if it is about showing or feeling our unity that matters, we should ascribe it to different project, let it be one bouquet of flowers, thread of get well cards or anything else of that matter.

yes, actually, you are right on that one - I shouldn't make assumptions about people's motivation when it is not really hard facts. I liked the idea of the group donation first, too, until I read the arguments (posted by many and later on summed up brilliantly by Nectar) why the individual donations make much more sense. It's just that people keep bringing up how you can identify yourself even with individual donations and make a point by doing it under the MFC banner...etc

:thumb_yello:

of course he does. and because we all care, he cares, too.

My thoughts too, I had no idea how the system works in the UK!

And Robi and Deb, just read posts, thanks! Take your time and let us know what to do :thumb_yello:

Yeah Mika could just give one of HIS up, selfish man! :lmfao::roftl:

I'm kidding.

BTW - nice to see you posting without any links or pictures! Good to see you in a discussion! :thumb_yello:

WOT?

cz47.gif

You don't fancy such entertainment?

This is what I find a bit disturbing though, Tiibet. I get the feeling - and tell me if I am wrong - that people only want to do a joint account because then people will *definitely* donate because it will have the MFC stamp on it, whereas if they pay individually they'll just look like someone else donated. Therefore, I get the feeling that people only want to donate as a group to be recognised, but the hospital will benefit much, much more if we donate individually. Doing it just to say "us MFCers donated! Look at how kind we are!" is just...well...a bit selfish, isn't it? This isn't about making us look good, it's about helping the hospital because we genuinely care.

I too understand that doing things as a group is a nice gesture, but in this instance, it's just better if we do it off our own backs rather than rally everyone together, because as it's already been said: Together = losing money, individually = MORE money.

And I don't want to sound harsh, but when the facts and statistics are staring at you in the face plain and simply like this, and people are STILL wanting to do it as a group DESPITE the cons, then it makes me wonder what their real motive is.

I won't be doing the group donation if it happens. I'll be doing it myself. NOT because I want to be a party pooper and disconnect myself from the fanclub (if I wanted to do that I'd just leave), but because I want the hospital to get ALL of my money because they deserve it.

Very good post, Caz, I totally agree with you.

i think we can send a small bunch of flowers with a card from the MFC explaining that we are donating both individually and as a group (for the ones who are not confident with donating online - and we can find an easy way to do that, just be patient *mods at work*)

Just a question: if people are not "confident donating online", how will they send the money to the MFC from different countries? I don't understand why this would be any easier than people sending it directly to the charity.

These are the same fans who regularly buy gig tickets online, book hotels and flights, and surf the web daily on multiple devices :roftl:. I'm sure they are capable of sending one transaction on one web page :naughty:.

This is why it bothers me, Nina. Because I think that you are right on this.

If we do individual donations, can't we still say we're from the Mika Fanclub?

That way they would know that we are donating.

I do think the individual donations make more sense and will raise more money.

I don't think that there is anything stopping you from making that note if you donate directly.

cards.

About a group gift:

way to handle this.

What is the impact that we're aiming for?

I thought that it was to raise funds for the HEMS charity as a means of showing our support to Paloma and the Pennimans? In that case, isn't that best achieved (as has been said before) by donating directly to them?

I think that adding one small gift to Paloma in the name of MFC is not a very bad idea, but I don't see the point of coordinating efforts to have an impact, to be honest :dunno:

WOT?

cz47.gif

You don't fancy such entertainment?

:roftl::roftl:

It's just nice to see a person behind the pictures and links with thoughts and opinions! I don't mind a little promotion, but don't feel afraid to get stuck in a discussion once in a while! We don't actually bite, despite what some may think :roftl:

That was my guess, too, so there must be something in it.

It was actually part of the reason why I called the group donation a way of acting on self-interest, which may sound harsh but probably reflects reality more than making excuses for being unable to send money online. However, I do not mean that it is necessarily a bad thing, just human nature, really. You join groups and projects with which you can make a huge impact. If it means more money to that charity (that no one can ever prove, btw), I am definitely not against it.

cards.

About a group gift:

way to handle this.

I agree with that too. If individual donations means that more money will be given to the charity, then thats definitely the way to go.

Also a small gift to Paloma on behalf of the MFC sounds like a good idea:thumb_yello:

What is the impact that we're aiming for?

I thought that it was to raise funds for the HEMS charity as a means of showing our support to Paloma and the Pennimans? In that case, isn't that best achieved (as has been said before) by donating directly to them?

I think that adding one small gift to Paloma in the name of MFC is not a very bad idea, but I don't see the point of coordinating efforts to have an impact, to be honest :dunno:

Of *course* the point is to help the organization and show our

concern to the family. I don't think that I said anything that indicated

that wasn't the point. :blink:

What I meant is that if we all donate using the same

sort of signature, or designation, we can, in effect, show that we are

making a "group" donation, even though we're donating individually. And

to be honest, a hundred of us donating to the charity all at one time

could have the same negative effect on them as a hundred cards and

flower baskets might have on the hospital or the Penniman family --

especially since HEMS says on their site that they acknowledge each

contribution. I think

the objective is to HELP not create havoc, no matter how we decide to

proceed, which is why I think coordinating our efforts makes some sense.

Archived