care to.

I'm just saying that if we want to act as a group, then it would be nice

*if we acted as a group*.

I can understand that some MFCers might want to work together on this,

and am trying to come up with a way that will satisfy the majority of

the fan club members, while not overwhelming the organization that we're

trying to help.

Wait a bit and see what we come up with. Then,

if you decide you want to be a part of that effort, you can be.

And if you decide instead that you want to go off and do things your own

way, you can do that, too.

That's not exactly what I meant :naughty: But when you said that receiving a lot of cash at the same time could cause a negative reaction, to me, it sounded like you were almost against the idea, but the probability of everyone sending cash individually at the same time is remote, especially considering that we are all from different areas of the globe. I still think sending cash individually is the best way to go and see no cons to this plan at all.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When my parents died, we got many donations made to causes and it made me happy to see that people did. :wub2:

I think it would be nice for HEMS to know that the money is coming in because of the Pennimans as well. It is them broadcasting their gratitude towards HEMS for saving Paloma that is prompting MFCers to donate and I think it would be nice for them to know the kind of impact it's had.

I think that there's anything wrong with either giving a donation personally or doing it as a group. It's down to the individual, however they want to do it.

I'm happy to go either way.

And I'm up for helping with a gift too, if you decide to go that way as well:thumb_yello:

I think it would be nice for HEMS to know that the money is coming in because of the Pennimans as well. It is them broadcasting their gratitude towards HEMS for saving Paloma that is prompting MFCers to donate and I think it would be nice for them to know the kind of impact it's had.

exactly. had it not been for Mika mentioning them, we would have never known the impact that they had on Paloma and her family. He broadcasted it and now we are reacting.

Doing a joint donation would indirectly be voluntarily "donating" part of the money to the banks. I personally don't see that is necessary. Someone said she wouldn't mind donating £2 instead on £1 and so to say split it between the hospital and banks. I rather see the £2 going straight to the hospital with the state paying ... was it 28p extra per each £.

As Sariflor nicely put it, to the hospital and patient it does not matter, where or who the money comes from. The sum, on the other hand, does.

If some of us need to have the feeling of doing something together or to be "awarded" for donating money, well why not have a little something we can add to our signature in MFC, for example, to show that we have donated. Who else would we want to show our generosity but our fellow MFCers. Using the tag would fully be based on each and everyone's honesty.

As for letting MIKA know about our donations, I'm sure he knows we care but if we want to point that out to him one more time (just to be sure or actually I don't know, what the reason would be, because we know that he knows that we care, but anyway) we could let him know. Not to get his eternal gratitude, but just to tell him that we have become aware of the difference HEMS can make and we wish to make our contribution to keep it going. We don't want him to get the impression that we do it only because of what happened to Paloma and otherwise we wouldn't really care.

I understand what you're saying here, but I think it's nice to let Mika know we can get together and mobilize as a group to do something like this.

It's not that we wouldn't care if this hadn't happened to Paloma, but actually, for non-UKers, donating to this particular emergency service is only "logical" because of her accident. I donate for Portuguese Red Cross, and support other organizations from time to time...but I would have never thought of donating to an emergency service in London.

And that doesn't mean I don't care... :wink2:

It's just the thing of letting Mika know "hey, we're here, as always, and this time we're with you and your family by helping the people who saved your sister's life." :wink2:

exactly. had it not been for Mika mentioning them, we would have never known the impact that they had on Paloma and her family. He broadcasted it and now we are reacting.

It's true - I never knew about HEMS until this incident happened. I'm not against donating, I just don't see the point in donating as a group via paypal when paypal gonna swallow quite a bit of the money and it's not all going to go where we want it to go. If you can find a way to do a group thing without paypal and losing money...go ahead, but until a solution is found I still think individually is the best way.

I understand what you're saying here, but I think it's nice to let Mika know we can get together and mobilize as a group to do something like this.

It's not that we wouldn't care if this hadn't happened to Paloma, but actually, for non-UKers, donating to this particular emergency service is only "logical" because of her accident. I donate for Portuguese Red Cross, and support other organizations from time to time...but I would have never thought of donating to an emergency service in London.

It's just the thing of letting Mika know "hey, we're here, as always, and this time we're with you and your family by helping the people who saved your sister's life." :wink2:

That is something I understand and agree with and also referred to in my previous entry. Letting him now that he has made us aware of another way we can make a difference in people's lives, :thumb_yello:.

Ok, yes, I totally understand what you're saying here, and I think that it's a very good point.

@Christine when you said "what is the fuss?"-> there is no fuss. It sort of became a fuss when some people were talking of making a group donation and it was pointed out that they would be throwing money away, and despite this other still said that they'd rather donate in a goup fashion, which is how it sort of became a fuss. If you know what I'm saying :roftl:.

It's true - I never knew about HEMS until this incident happened. I'm not against donating, I just don't see the point in donating as a group via paypal when paypal gonna swallow quite a bit of the money and it's not all going to go where we want it to go. If you can find a way to do a group thing without paypal and losing money...go ahead, but until a solution is found I still think individually is the best way.

i think we are passed the point of the paypal option, as you said, it isn't right to let them swallow our money & yes, individual donation is probably best. but as there is no rush, i'm waiting to see what other option we can come up with. :blush-anim-cl:

i think we are passed the point of the paypal option, as you said, it isn't right to let them swallow our money & yes, individual donation is probably best. but as there is no rush, i'm waiting to see what other option we can come up with. :blush-anim-cl:

Oh I don't think anyone was rushing, just trying to help people realise that this group method wasn't the way to go :original:

I wasn't aware that "a lot of fuss" had been kicked up - sorry if I/we caused any, it wasn't my intention. I just didn't want the hospital to lose out unnecessarily nor did I want people donating for the wrong reasons.

Oh I don't think anyone was rushing, just trying to help people realise that this group method wasn't the way to go :original:

I wasn't aware that "a lot of fuss" had been kicked up - sorry if I/we caused any, it wasn't my intention. I just didn't want the hospital to lose out unnecessarily nor did I want people donating for the wrong reasons.

I'm sure everyone is donating to help the air ambulance, for what they did for Paloma, without an ulterior motive. I would hope that is the only reason they'd be doing it!

i donate to quite a few organizations here in Canada. Both personally & also via my business. Had it not been for Paloma, HEMS would have never heard of me. :wub2: i wonder how rare it is for HEMS, to receive donations from around the world. they may wake up and go WTF?? :aah:

We are all working to give the organization the best return we can! so it's all good!! :huglove:

Sorry! I don't want to seem impatient or pushy, just trying to end up with the best possible solution so that the maximum of donations would reach the aim we intended, as most of us agreed that it is the most important thing.

So could anybody please comment on my previous post:

Seems like we came to a conclusion that UK residents could donate more if they make individual donations due to the tax system and avoiding unnecessary paypal fees.

But one more thing came to my mind. How about foreign fans? I am not really sure how the system works(how much do we loose in fees etc.), so this is not a statement, but just a question: Can't it be that if all the foreign fans sent their donations to one of the UK residents and then he made a donation on behalf of us, it would in the end turn out as more amount of the money due to the tax system and despite paypal fees? :dunno::blush-anim-cl:

I guess it could depend on the amount of donations, but may it turn out to be this way? Please someone correct me, if I am wrong. Anyone better with all these calculations - please help! :aah:

If it's totally irrelevant, please say so. I was just a little worried that it might have been skipped. And it seemed to make sense to me. So I'd be grateful if someone could explain it to me. :blush-anim-cl:

I thought we were talking about either a group donation or a message signed MFC (with or without flowers). :blink: I prefer the card, but since a donation had been mentioned, I considered that, too.

I don't particularly care about giving a present or a bunch of flowers, but a MFC card would be nice for different reasons. They posted an update for us fans on mikasounds.com, MFC is an official fan community, they can keep it :blush-anim-cl:, one collective card is better than flooding the family with hundreds of cards.

Moreover I have never felt like sending stuff to the family privately, because it's just annoying for them, as they may have to deal with extra mail, and I'm not a relative or a family friend. With the help of Team MIKA it would be easier for the mods to deliver a MFC card to the right place (hospital, management, private address).

I'm sure everyone is donating to help the air ambulance, for what they did for Paloma, without an ulterior motive. I would hope that is the only reason they'd be doing it!

Well I was concerned that people were doing it just to be noticed rather than genuinely caring for HEMS and future life-saving incidences, because it was something that wasn't going to Paloma. But hey. I'm probably wrong. I think it's nice to show gratitude towards people who have saved someone's life. I know I couldn't do it! Dealing with my mum's burn was bad enough, let alone blood and guts and railings and shizz! :lmfao:

-We all want to do something for Paloma and Mika.:thumb_yello:

-We agree to make a donation.:thumb_yello:

-If we decide that one day, all on the same day, we make an individual donation from MIKA FAN CLUB = We are making a joint donation without losing money.:thumb_yello:

-Easier to organize for the people of the United Kingdom and the rest of the world.:thumb_yello:

When you're worried about your family sick in hospital, you are more sensitive and greatly appreciates the sign of affection. I think it's a good idea to send a card from MIKA FAN CLUB, explaining why we make the donation.

I can know you love me but I like to tell me you love me.I like to listen:

I love you.Mika knows that we love, and care about him, but I'm sure that right now more than ever thanks to the say with a card with a gift ... Instead of sending the Hospital can be sent directly to him or his manager to give it to him. But I think the sign of affection are always positive.:wink2:

Sorry for my english :wub2:

Well I was concerned that people were doing it just to be noticed rather than genuinely caring for HEMS and future life-saving incidences, because it was something that wasn't going to Paloma. But hey. I'm probably wrong. I think it's nice to show gratitude towards people who have saved someone's life. I know I couldn't do it! Dealing with my mum's burn was bad enough, let alone blood and guts and railings and shizz! :lmfao:

Oh good grief, yes!

I'm rubbish,if someone has a cut bigger than a fingernail!:naughty:

Oh good grief, yes!

I'm rubbish,if someone has a cut bigger than a fingernail!:naughty:

I honestly don't know how people do it. I saw a man on the bus the other day - bald man with tattoos everywhere on his face and head - and his right ear had split. Like...split. In half. You know the bit above the ear lobe? His ear was in half horizontally. It was so, SO grim that it made me feel physically sick but at the same time I kinda couldn't stop looking! :shocked::puking:

I honestly don't know how people do it. I saw a man on the bus the other day - bald man with tattoos everywhere on his face and head - and his right ear had split. Like...split. In half. You know the bit above the ear lobe? His ear was in half horizontally. It was so, SO grim that it made me feel physically sick but at the same time I kinda couldn't stop looking! :shocked::puking:

Gross!:shocked:

This is why I have nothing but respect for my big sis, I couldn't be a nurse for all the tea in China!

I must say, I personally do agree with that. Of course they didn't treat Paloma any better than anyone else because she's a celebrity's sister. They probably didn't even realise who she was at the time. But the fact that they helped someone more high-profile and it got reported, has drawn attention to the service and the work they do mainly as unsung heroes. Therefore, I think they'll be happy to learn that Mika's fans have realised what they do every day and the fact that Mika himself has mentioned it, and thanked them on his site, has put that fact right out there.

So I'd personally like to state that I'm part of the MFC.

I don't pay income tax because I am medically retired, so the tax benefit to the charity doesn't apply in my case, even though I'm a UK citizen.

Sorry! I don't want to seem impatient or pushy, just trying to end up with the best possible solution so that the maximum of donations would reach the aim we intended, as most of us agreed that it is the most important thing.

So could anybody please comment on my previous post:

If it's totally irrelevant, please say so. I was just a little worried that it might have been skipped. And it seemed to make sense to me. So I'd be grateful if someone could explain it to me. :blush-anim-cl:

only just saw this, and you have a point there. does anyone know how high the paypal fees are? if donations from uk residents get the organization 30% more, and the paypal and currency exchange fees are less than 30%, it'd make sense for the foreigns to send their money to a uk resident.

though i'd personally prefer an individual donation, but in case a group one from the foreign fans gets them more money because of that uk tax thingie, i'd do that too. :wink2:

:Update:

from MIKASOUNDS:

Pamola

On behalf of my whole family, we would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and kindness over the past week. Paloma is in a stable condition at the Royal London Hospital.

She has undergone extensive surgery to her legs and surgery to her abdomen. Although she is in a lot of pain, things are looking remarkably good considering what happened. Over the coming weeks Paloma will undergo more surgery and start her rehabilitation programme. Her recovery will be a long and difficult one but at this point in time there is no reason to believe that it won’t be a successful one.

Paloma and the whole family feel extremely lucky and we are eternally grateful to the Helicopter Response Unit, Doctors and Nurses of the Royal London for saving her life.

Every card, text message and bunch of flowers has been shown to Paloma. We are extremely grateful to you all for keeping Paloma in your thoughts and prayers

GREAT!!!!!! :thumb_yello::clap: the best news ever !!!:biggrin2:

i just had another idea when i read marylins post: do you think we could get press attention for the charity organization (!) by donating in the name of mfc? the press has written so much about paloma's accident, they could write something positive now too, and draw attention to that organization, because it surely would help them to get more donations if they were mentioned in the press. dunno if it's a good idea, and i definitely first would ask them if it was ok for them - but like i said, i think it could get them even more donations, so i thought i'd mention it. :wink2:

i just had another idea when i read marylins post: do you think we could get press attention for the charity organization (!) by donating in the name of mfc? the press has written so much about paloma's accident, they could write something positive now too, and draw attention to that organization, because it surely would help them to get more donations if they were mentioned in the press. dunno if it's a good idea, and i definitely first would ask them if it was ok for them - but like i said, i think it could get them even more donations, so i thought i'd mention it. :wink2:

i'm not sure i would run to the press with this at all. i have a feeling that if it had been possible, this wouldn't have been in the press to start with. i didn't think it had that much coverage, except for every sites/newspaper were reporting the same story over and over. i think i heard of 1 Montreal newspaper who mentioned it.

did it get much coverage in the UK?

Archived