Mika's Sister in Serious Accident

dcdeb

only just saw this, and you have a point there. does anyone know how high the paypal fees are? if donations from uk residents get the organization 30% more, and the paypal and currency exchange fees are less than 30%, it'd make sense for the foreigns to send their money to a uk resident.

though i'd personally prefer an individual donation, but in case a group one from the foreign fans gets them more money because of that uk tax thingie, i'd do that too. :wink2:

Thank you for taking time to answer!

I am not sure about calculations, but that is just something that crossed my mind (actually my sister's mind, when we discussed this group or individual donations thing), so i thought I should ask you, guys!

The only thing I found on paypal was 3.14% +0.35euro But I don't know if that is the one we are talking about.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm not sure i would run to the press with this at all. i have a feeling that if it had been possible, this wouldn't have been in the press to start with. i didn't think it had that much coverage, except for every sites/newspaper were reporting the same story over and over. i think i heard of 1 Montreal newspaper who mentioned it.

did it get much coverage in the UK?

It was mentioned twice in The Sun, that's all I know. I haven't checked the paper's since Mikasound's update.

i'm not sure i would run to the press with this at all. i have a feeling that if it had been possible, this wouldn't have been in the press to start with. i didn't think it had that much coverage, except for every sites/newspaper were reporting the same story over and over. i think i heard of 1 Montreal newspaper who mentioned it.

of course it'd have been better if it hadn't been in the press at all. but unfortunately, it was. dunno bout the uk, but if it was similar to germany, then it was a lot. it even was on german newspapers (yellow press), and i guess EVERY single german website (yellow press AND reputable ones) that has an entertainment section. and usually the german press never writes anything about mika. :aah:

but yeah, thinking about it, probably the pennimans would prefer if it wasn't mentioned in the press again, cause if they did, they'd have sent out a press release with their thank you to the organization. like i said, was just an idea. :wink2:

@enniey i'm not good at percentage calculations either, but if those are the fees, then donations of 1€ definitely wouldn't make sense via paypal. higher amounts might make sense though. but some might just want to donate 1 or 2 euro. :dunno:

of course it'd have been better if it hadn't been in the press at all. but unfortunately, it was. dunno bout the uk, but if it was similar to germany, then it was a lot. it even was on german newspapers (yellow press), and i guess EVERY single german website (yellow press AND reputable ones) that has an entertainment section. and usually the german press never writes anything about mika. :aah:

but yeah, thinking about it, probably the pennimans would prefer if it wasn't mentioned in the press again, cause if they did, they'd have sent out a press release with their thank you to the organization. like i said, was just an idea. :wink2:

@enniey i'm not good at percentage calculations either, but if those are the fees, then donations of 1€ definitely wouldn't make sense via paypal. higher amounts might make sense though. but some might just want to donate 1 or 2 euro. :dunno:

if Mika wants to raise money for HEMS, then he can go to the press with the story. :naughty: til then, i'm not for us doing it.

if Mika wants to raise money for HEMS, then he can go to the press with the story. :naughty: til then, i'm not for us doing it.

you're right, like i said in my last post, when i thought about it more closely, i came to that conclusion too. :bleh:

Yes, that's what I came up with too. But then again, if a person donates 5euros, for example it seemed to be worth the fees. And I think it didn't even have to be as much as 5euros to be worth it. I guess it really depends on the amount of donation. So maybe it is useful to make a group for those who want to donate as much. :dunno: Don't know really, just a thought.

I think Mika and his family want to keep it privat so we as his fanclub shouldn´t promote it to the press. It´s only my opinion.:wink2:

yes please, no press rampage! :aah:

Yes, I think they very clearly asked for privacy!

Not so much in the newspapers, but got picked up by a few online news sources.

Just spoke to my big sis, and she asked how Paloma was (she NEVER asks me anything about stuff to do with Mika!), as she saw it on MSN news online.

Well , i don't know what is HEMS but if it's a emergency unit of the Royal Hospital or something like this, i am ok for a very discreet donation in the name of MFC and i suppose that non UK fans would like to be a part of this.

I am working in a emergency surgery unit ( anesthesia).

I forgot to say that we should be thankful that we got such an update on mikasounds.com, because it really wasn't due to us fans. I expected a more general "she will be ok", instead of a long post. Perhaps they thought to write more because they saw how involved we were. :blush-anim-cl:

My exact thoughts! :wub2:

God....So many posts,so many time lost just to decide to donate some money!:shocked:

For me it's as simple as that:you wan't to help?Donate some money through their web page online.That's it.Over.:aah:

And just one more comment.Someone said(sorry don't remember who)that the MFC is not giving the money because this accident happened to Paloma,or that MFC don't want to give this impression,something like that.And that it makes the donations because MFC cares.For me it's OBVIOUS that the reason MFC is doing this is exactly because it happened to Paloma.Just because it happened to Paloma.Why nobody raised such a topic before?Because,if this didn't happen to her,the sister of MIKA,then we wouldn't really care about the rescue-guys,or their dishwasher.Do you want to make a donation to the fire appartment?Or the anonymous alcoholics?No,because none of these is related to the Penniman's.Just saying.....Besides,there are far too many organizations and hospitals and social groups who need money much more than this rescue team does.If the only thing that they want is a dishwasher then things can't be that bad.And,no,i'm not saying that the MFC should start saving the world,but,come on,we all know why you want to do this.And it is for a good cause as it is,you don't have to exaggerate.:wink2:

Whoa, I don't understand what the problem here is. I'm sure we can find a way to donate individually and have the money earmarked as coming from MFC at the same time. It's just a matter of working out the logistics. If it can't be done then we can discuss the alternatives.

Can everyone just hold off for a bit until it's sorted? What is the huge rush??

I really like the idea of donating to HEMS and to do it as a group. There's no reason not to at least TRY to make both these things happen without any loss to HEMS via unnecessary charges or loss on tax breaks.

I think it would be nice for HEMS to know that the money is coming in because of the Pennimans as well. It is them broadcasting their gratitude towards HEMS for saving Paloma that is prompting MFCers to donate and I think it would be nice for them to know the kind of impact it's had.

I've just come home and read pages and pages of this thread that made my blood boil then came nearly to the last page and saw your response and it sums up what I wanted to say but without getting angry!

I very much doubt that any of us would have donated a single penny if Paloma hadn't been injured, etc so to argue about the amount that would be donated by individual means rather than a global donation is pointless.

It simply stops 1000's of 'Get Well Soon' cards and flowers/chocs/fluffy toys being bought and sent to Paloma and focuses the money instead into a practical 'gift'.

For all those altruistic souls who have stated that they will not mention why they are donating or join a in group effort like the rest of us illogical and wasteful MFCr's.....I say go ahead and stop giving the rest of us a hard time!!

I will await the consensus of the Mods and act accordingly with the majority wishes of the MFC. The reason being that regardless of what I do off this forum, what happens on here is not governed by what I think but what the community as a whole thinks.

I may even go wild and make a personal donation in addition to what happens on here!!!!!! What a crazy idea!! :naughty:

God....So many posts,so many time lost just to decide to donate some money!:shocked:

For me it's as simple as that:you wan't to help?Donate some money through their web page online.That's it.Over.:aah:

And just one more comment.Someone said(sorry don't remember who)that the MFC is not giving the money because this accident happened to Paloma,or that MFC don't want to give this impression,something like that.And that it makes the donations because MFC cares.For me it's OBVIOUS that the reason MFC is doing this is exactly because it happened to Paloma.Just because it happened to Paloma.Why nobody raised such a topic before?Because,if this didn't happen to her,the sister of MIKA,then we wouldn't really care about the rescue-guys,or their dishwasher.Do you want to make a donation to the fire appartment?Or the anonymous alcoholics?No,because none of these is related to the Penniman's.Just saying.....Besides,there are far too many organizations and hospitals and social groups who need money much more than this rescue team does.If the only thing that they want is a dishwasher then things can't be that bad.And,no,i'm not saying that the MFC should start saving the world,but,come on,we all know why you want to do this.And it is for a good cause as it is,you don't have to exaggerate.:wink2:

I hope someone can clarify this for me, but when Tegan was in hospital last year, didn't someone mention donations to the hospital she was in, at the time?

I'm sure that even in the future, we would probably all do this again for members on here, donate to whatever hospital they might be in, if it's a long illness the person has.

Didn't anyone do this for Axie, and is anyone looking into doing a similar thing for Wonka?

I think it's a lovely idea to do, as a thank you to those places that looked after people on here we love.

It doesn't have to be much, does it, just like giving to the HEMS for Paloma, just a gesture of thanks for what they did (especially for Axie).

I hope someone can clarify this for me, but when Tegan was in hospital last year, didn't someone mention donations to the hospital she was in, at the time?

I'm sure that even in the future, we would probably all do this again for members on here, donate to whatever hospital they might be in, if it's a long illness the person has.

Didn't anyone do this for Axie, and is anyone looking into doing a similar thing for Wonka?

I think it's a lovely idea to do, as a thank you to those places that looked after people on here we love.

It doesn't have to be much, does it, just like giving to the HEMS for Paloma, just a gesture of thanks for what they did (especially for Axie).

That's all well and good Rose, but - correct me if I am wrong - I think her point was that we're only doing this because we know someone has just been to hospital because of her accident. Would we still be donating even this hadn't happened? Of course not. I think that was her point.

:blink:

:dunno:

I don't know, Rose, but if you donated anything to those hospitals, let us know, so that we can learn from your payment methods.

That's all well and good Rose, but - correct me if I am wrong - I think her point was that we're only doing this because we know someone has just been to hospital because of her accident. Would we still be donating even this hadn't happened? Of course not. I think that was her point.

I guess you're right, but to bring up another point that ssshhh made, what the money will go to, it doesn't necessarily go to buying them a dishwasher, that's on their wish list. But I would hope our donation would go more to the service itself, the upkeep of the helicopter and emergency packs they need to take out with them.

I'm sure it would be nice for them to get a new dishwasher, I'm sure they need one, but they need to keep the helicopter running and the packs a lot more. We have a similar service here, and I know there is one down in Cornwall, as my friend has supported them in the past, and they are vital for some cases, and aren't cheap to run. So the fundraising is essential for them to keep going. I hope that any money we donate goes someway to doing that.

You do have a point there. :thumb_yello:

As I said before, specially for us non-UKers it wouldn't make any sense donating to a foreing rescue team if we didn't have a reason to do so. All of us have some association in our country that needs help.

It doesn't mean we're not altruistic or that we don't care, but the truth is, we are only thinking of doing this because of this particular case. Cause if it wasn't for Paloma's accident, if I was to donate to a foreing association, I would rather think of doing it to help the hungry children in africa or something.

It IS because of Paloma, and because Mika said how crucial they were in saving her life. End of story. Next time it can be due to any other situation, or to help another cause, but this time, yeah, it's because it happened to her.

Archived