Mika's Sister in Serious Accident

dcdeb

Perhaps because money doesn't really matter atm? And because we feel like doing something together since MFC is an official fan community?

I think you're right.. even if I understand perfectly the point to make individual donations

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think everyone is aware of what you are saying, but maybe think it would be a nice gesture to do it under the MFC banner.

I was looking, for myself, at the standing order, option last night, to send a few pounds a month for the next few months, as I don't have a card. But if it gets organised on here to so it as a group, I'd be happy to join in.

I was wondering if anyone from the UK used their PayPal account, could they use the Gift Aid facility, or do PayPal just not let you at all?

I can't see a sensible reason to do it under the MFC banner, the charity will get less. :blink:

I can totally understand wanting to donate in the name of MFC, but listening to the facts here, it actually does make more sense to donate individually if you live in the UK as the government pays an extra 28 pence per donation. For those of us overseas, Paypal fees eat up 3.4% of money sent, so really the hospital would be losing valuable money on these transactions.

One suggestion might be that if you wanted the hospital to know that you are from MFC, then in the online payment form where it says "Company" we could add something like (from Mika Fan Club ). Still I guess then we will all get receipts sent to us at our registered addresses as Ms. XXX (from Mika fan Club)!!

So that might not suit everyone. Let me talk to the other mods and get back to you here.

Of course in a life or death situation money doesn't matter, but this isn't a life or death situation now, and also, if people's motives are to genuinely help the HEMS service and other patients, then their money would be better spent in actually helping them, rather than paying Paypal fees in multiple transactions :dunno:

When it comes to donations to charities, every pound counts. If 500 people donate an extra pound instead of paying it to Paypal for an added transaction that will need to then be replicated from MFC to the Hems, that is 500 more pounds, which is substantial. It can get them two dishwashers :naughty:

What I'm trying to say is that money may not matter to you now, but it will matter to the charity.

Also, maybe my focus is totally wrong, but this is the MIKA fan community. Paloma works with him, but she seems to keep in the shadows a lot, not seeking fan contact, etc...I'm sure that she will appreciate any token of interest from anyone, but really, does it matter to her that she gets one big "present" from her brother's fanclub? Will it make a difference to her if she knows that people's efforts have been put into individual donations?

I understand people's desire to do something as a community, but I can only understand that up to the point where it remains practical. When it starts being clear that it's not practical or efficient doing it like that, I just don't see the point, to be honest.

Anyway, each to their own I guess.

The problem with Paypal is that it charges you a fee per transaction, which is a percentage of what you are spending. So if you pay to MFC via Paypal (and how would one pay to MFC otherwise, if MFC were to send it all in one go? You can't send a money order to MFC...And in your case, Rose, how would you send the cash to MFC if you don't have a card or Paypal?) you are paying for a transaction fee there.

Then, once MFC has all the funds, they need to send it to the charity, which will be again another fee (proportional to the total amount). This is what I mean: the money is being thrown away in fees to Paypal.

The Gift Aid facilty is only in place when you are paying the charity directly, I think, but in any case you'd be losing money that could be put to better use. And at the end of the day, if our aim is to help the charity, why does it matter that it's "officially from MFC"? That won't matter to the HEMS or to the patients

EDIT:

Oh, and something else that I thought of in practical terms: in order to Paypal money, one needs to know the recipient's email address, and you get to see their billing address once you send the cash. Which means that everyone would need to know someone's email address (whoever in MFC would be taking care of getting all the money sent to them and then sending to the HEMS) and this person would also have all their contact details disclosed to everyone who donated.

Am I really the only one who sees this as a huge mess that can be easily avoided by just donating individually?!

I was looking into getting a PayPal account, for other reasons for work, so I could send it that way.

Like I said, I liked the standing order option that HEMS offer, which is what I was looking last night at doing, but thought it would have been nice to do it all together.

Is PayPal the only way we could do an MFC donation, is there no other similar type of organisation that we can pool money into to send on to HEMS, that possibly doesn't have charges?

I was looking into getting a PayPal account, for other reasons for work, so I could send it that way.

Like I said, I liked the standing order option that HEMS offer, which is what I was looking last night at doing, but thought it would have been nice to do it all together.

Is PayPal the only way we could do an MFC donation, is there no other similar type of organisation that we can pool money into to send on to HEMS, that possibly doesn't have charges?

Believe me, I wish there was :aah:. They all want your money, nobody does anything for free in this world.

I have been using Paypal for years....you lose a lot in their fees, no avoiding it. And setting up a Paypal account actually requires a credit card I believe.

Yup to both points. I think that you can add a bank account to it, but only after you opened the account with a card?

I'm in if you want to organize a donation for the hospital, I think is a good idea. About paypal it's right...it requires fees...but maybe is the easiest way to pay someone if you live far our outside UK.

I'm in if you want to organize a donation for the hospital, I think is a good idea. About paypal it's right...it requires fees...but maybe is the easiest way to pay someone if you live far our outside UK.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the easiest way to contribute is through the charity's website?

So is the point in doing a donation from the MFC to let the charity know who it's from?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the easiest way to contribute is through the charity's website?

Yes, it's as Bab said.

Sarina, if you pay to MFC and then MFC pays the hospital, you are losing the fees TWICE. It's pointless.

So is the point in doing a donation from the MFC to let the charity know who it's from?

I think that this is it, yes. Which I can understand, but only to a certain degree. Ie, when it doesn't clash with cold, hard, practical facts, like in this case :dunno:

Believe me, I wish there was :aah:. They all want your money, nobody does anything for free in this world.

Yup to both points. I think that you can add a bank account to it, but only after you opened the account with a card?

That's a shame.

I don't think you do need a card to open an account, not according to their video, you can use a card or bank details to open one:thumb_yello:

I guess I'll go with the standing order for a few months, send a little each month.

That's a shame.

I don't think you do need a card to open an account, not according to their video, you can use a card or bank details to open one:thumb_yello:

I guess I'll go with the standing order for a few months, send a little each month.

Ah, that is good news then, if you can open it with a bank account now! It used to be only cards but I did it many years ago so maybe they've changed it.

Good stuff :biggrin2:

So basically if, say, 500 of us, donated £1 and got £500, then got the money together and paid via PayPal, the hospital will NOT get the £500 because of PayPal's charging fees, they would get less. Whereas if we all paid £1 individually through the site or whatever, they would get the full amount?

Well individually certainly does sound a lot better, I don't want some of my money going somewhere else when I want it to go to a specific place or cause. It doesn't matter whether it's from MFC or not. This isn't about showing ourselves as a community, this is about donating to a hospital that save lives from the general public. When our money is received it doesn't matter why we donated, where we donated from and who we are. The only thing that's important is that we HAVE donated, and that ALL of the money is going to the hospital.

So basically if, say, 500 of us, donated £1 and got £500, then got the money together and paid via PayPal, the hospital will NOT get the £500 because of PayPal's charging fees, they would get less. Whereas if we all paid £1 individually through the site or whatever, they would get the full amount?

from your £1 (paid online by a UK resident), they'd get £1.28 - and that is even better :wink2:

About paypal it's right...it requires fees...but maybe is the easiest way to pay someone if you live far our outside UK.

I live outside the UK and the easiest thing for me is to give my credit / debit card details on the London Air Ambulance’s charity page as posted before:

http://www.londonsairambulance.com/SecureStore/welcome.aspx?Q1788=30&J847=x30&A988=&NL477=&F=&G=&C=&SC=&S9=0&UT1=&R=1&S=&RE=www.londonsairambulance.com&D=32

That is the most convenient way and the one that ensures the most money being transferred to the charity.

At the moment I cannot see any other justifiable reason why fans should not follow this method after having been explained all the costs that come with other methods and the additional benefit that comes with this.

That one I classify as self-interest, so I automatically reject that, of course.

Ah, that is good news then, if you can open it with a bank account now! It used to be only cards but I did it many years ago so maybe they've changed it.

Good stuff :biggrin2:

It'll come in handy for work:thumb_yello:

from your £1 they'd get £1.28 - and that is even better :wink2:

I live outside the UK and the easiest thing for me is to give my credit / debit card details on the London Air Ambulance’s charity page as posted before:

http://www.londonsairambulance.com/SecureStore/welcome.aspx?Q1788=30&J847=x30&A988=&NL477=&F=&G=&C=&SC=&S9=0&UT1=&R=1&S=&RE=www.londonsairambulance.com&D=32

That is the most convenient way and the one that ensures the most money being transferred to the charity.

At the moment I cannot see any other justifiable reason why fans should not follow this method after having been explained all the costs that come with other methods and the additional benefit that comes with this.

That one I classify as self-interest, so I automatically reject that, of course.

If people donate it straight to the charity, there's nothing stopping them from identifying who the are or who the might want to represent, so it wouldn't matter whether we do it under the MFC banner or not really.

from your £1 you pay individually they'd get £1.28 - and that is even better :wink2:

Oh wow!! That's even better and MUCH more beneficial. I honestly don't understand why people are insisting with paypal so MFC can "pay altogether" when the hospital are going to get less from it. This is about helping the HOSPITAL and helping other people in the future. This is our way of saying thanks for doing such a great job with Paloma. Surely that's a better way of showing our gratitude than some old card or giving a joint donation when they're not even going to receive all of it?

The problem with Paypal is that it charges you a fee per transaction, which is a percentage of what you are spending. So if you pay to MFC via Paypal (and how would one pay to MFC otherwise, if MFC were to send it all in one go? You can't send a money order to MFC...And in your case, Rose, how would you send the cash to MFC if you don't have a card or Paypal?) you are paying for a transaction fee there.

Then, once MFC has all the funds, they need to send it to the charity, which will be again another fee (proportional to the total amount). This is what I mean: the money is being thrown away in fees to Paypal.

The Gift Aid facilty is only in place when you are paying the charity directly, I think, but in any case you'd be losing money that could be put to better use. And at the end of the day, if our aim is to help the charity, why does it matter that it's "officially from MFC"? That won't matter to the HEMS or to the patients

EDIT:

Oh, and something else that I thought of in practical terms: in order to Paypal money, one needs to know the recipient's email address, and you get to see their billing address once you send the cash. Which means that everyone would need to know someone's email address (whoever in MFC would be taking care of getting all the money sent to them and then sending to the HEMS) and this person would also have all their contact details disclosed to everyone who donated.

Am I really the only one who sees this as a huge mess that can be easily avoided by just donating individually?!

No you are not :naughty:

Really - the simplest thing is to make an individual donation direct to the charity. Any other way

a) makes work for someone on MFC

b) incurs transaction costs eg to paypal

c) loses gift aid (this has to go direct to the charity for the tax to be reclaimed)

And even a bunch of flowers may be a problem since many wards won't let patients have them (my mother wasn't allowed flowers :no:)

Really - the online messages and direct individual donations are the best option :thumb_yello:

I don't think it's that simple. I guess this is not only giving money to charity. I think people want to also comfort themselves and show their support by doing something useful and doing it as a group.

And I don't say it should be like that, and it is a pure and good thing to only give, but I can understand it and I think it's quite human. I liked the idea of doing it together. I think we might even raise more money that way, because more people would be involved. But I perfectly see the points Sara and Suzie made earlier, and making it individually is far more efficient :thumb_yello:

So whatever the decision will be, I think it's just fine. And donating money to the hospital is much better solution than bothering Mika and his family with hundreds of flowers and cards etc etc. I'm sure he knows we all care.

I really don´t think they will be very happy with tons of gifts, cards and flowers send to the hospital. What should they do with it? I think it´s better to post here in the Get well Paloma thread or on Mikasounds.

I'm thinking the same thing. If everyone sends individual cards and gifts it could be a nusence to them. I'm thinking also of the staff in the hospital who have to look after the patients, not run around with sacks of gifts like Santa Clause. That's why I'm not going to send one. I've left messages in various threads and other places on the internet. Also on Mikasounds website. I'm also still praying for her recovery and for Mika and the rest of the family. I think that will be enough. But I do like the donation idea though. I think that's a much better idea.

I don't think it's that simple. I guess this is not only giving money to charity. I think people want to also comfort themselves and show their support by doing something useful and doing it as a group.

And I don't say it should be like that, and it is a pure and good thing to only give, but I can understand it and I think it's quite human. I liked the idea of doing it together. I think we might even raise more money that way, because more people would be involved. But I perfectly see the points Sara and Suzie made earlier, and making it individually is far more efficient :thumb_yello:

So whatever the decision will be, I think it's just fine. And donating money to the hospital is much better solution than bothering Mika and his family with hundreds of flowers and cards etc etc. I'm sure he knows we all care.

This is what I find a bit disturbing though, Tiibet. I get the feeling - and tell me if I am wrong - that people only want to do a joint account because then people will *definitely* donate because it will have the MFC stamp on it, whereas if they pay individually they'll just look like someone else donated. Therefore, I get the feeling that people only want to donate as a group to be recognised, but the hospital will benefit much, much more if we donate individually. Doing it just to say "us MFCers donated! Look at how kind we are!" is just...well...a bit selfish, isn't it? This isn't about making us look good, it's about helping the hospital because we genuinely care.

I too understand that doing things as a group is a nice gesture, but in this instance, it's just better if we do it off our own backs rather than rally everyone together, because as it's already been said: Together = losing money, individually = MORE money.

And I don't want to sound harsh, but when the facts and statistics are staring at you in the face plain and simply like this, and people are STILL wanting to do it as a group DESPITE the cons, then it makes me wonder what their real motive is.

I won't be doing the group donation if it happens. I'll be doing it myself. NOT because I want to be a party pooper and disconnect myself from the fanclub (if I wanted to do that I'd just leave), but because I want the hospital to get ALL of my money because they deserve it.

i think we can send a small bunch of flowers with a card from the MFC explaining that we are donating both individually and as a group (for the ones who are not confident with donating online - and we can find an easy way to do that, just be patient *mods at work*)

:original:

Yes, it's as Bab said.

Sarina, if you pay to MFC and then MFC pays the hospital, you are losing the fees TWICE. It's pointless.

Yes Sara, I get that and you're right, but I also like the fact that we, like MFC family, give a donation all together to "show" how much we're grateful to the Hospital and (correct me if I'm wrong) this is not possible with a single donation.

So I say that, even if it's not fair, I can auto-tax myself to spend a little more and send the money to MFC including the double fees (I don't think is a lot different if instead of £1 I have to send £2). I know it's not fair....but it's how the system works and paypal works.

If we send money with "friend" option the recepit won't pay any fee but only the sender will pay the whole amount.

If we send money with friend/family option to the MFC account we'll pay fees and MFC account won't pay any fee.

At the moment I cannot see any other justifiable reason why fans should not follow this method after having been explained all the costs that come with other methods and the additional benefit that comes with this..

You're right Suzie, to use a credit card through the site it's easier...but...like I said I also like the idea of sending all together as MFC.

If people donate it straight to the charity, there's nothing stopping them from identifying who the are or who the might want to represent, so it wouldn't matter whether we do it under the MFC banner or not really.

If you're sure about it Rose, then, we can use our credit card throught the site without paypal :thumb_yello:

yes, actually, you are right on that one - I shouldn't make assumptions about people's motivation when it is not really hard facts. I liked the idea of the group donation first, too, until I read the arguments (posted by many and later on summed up brilliantly by Nectar) why the individual donations make much more sense. It's just that people keep bringing up how you can identify yourself even with individual donations and make a point by doing it under the MFC banner...etc

donating money to the hospital is much better solution than bothering Mika and his family with hundreds of flowers and cards etc etc.
:thumb_yello:

I'm sure he knows we all care.

of course he does. and because we all care, he cares, too.

Archived