2011 - MIKA Fronts Global Hugo Boss Fragrance Campaign

dcdeb

I am neither fond of the advertisement nor opposed to it. However, I remember one old interview I saw in which Mika said he thought it was silly when celebrities have their own lines of scent. I know it is not his own line of scent but it is still very similar and I thought that was sort of funny. I think he looks good in the picture but in my opinion, he looks much better in other pictures. I prefer seeing him wearing his own more interesting and unique clothing than seeing him in a black suit.

Stamp_of_Approval.jpg

RE: Brilliant move

hugoboss.png

This is a big and brilliant step for Mika. It shows that he is gorgeous, and more particularly, grown up and a beautiful/handsome man. His look is haunting and not one you would forget easily - I think it will make people take a look at who is he and what he does.

He can't stay a goofy kid forever and this shows how different he is and how beautiful he has become. Not to mention how Masculine he looks it's absolutely brilliant. There was a video with Jonathan Rhys Meyers with a girl in an empty arena in a boxing ring - it was very, very beautiful and very, very sexy. Hopefully it would great to see Mika in video for the Hugo Boss fragrance.

He is a young man and he is expanding his horizons - he has people to meet, places to go and music to write. He needs lots of space to grow and create. His creativity I think reminds me of a young Andrew Lloyd Weber (but much, much, better looking and a different genre obviously). He has to outgrow tofu dolls, etc. - it's nice to see him looking and acting his age - young, beautiful and very sexy with those smoldering eyes.

Mika is truly blessed with so many assets. Let him use them - everyone seemed to think the Coke Cola episodes was so great and creative. He's growing up and hopefully will spread his wings as far as he can and land on his feet giggling and laughing and successful with a long and diverse career - in many different directions.

Edited by A. Clay

Stamp_of_Approval.jpg

RE: Brilliant move

hugoboss.png

:thumb_yello:

He is a born artist, music is its main ingredient, but that does not mean he can't reach other levels, I enjoyed the campaign... The BOSS :mf_lustslow:

The slogan is perfect!!!! :biggrin2:

"Creativity Drives Sucess"

I remember one old interview I saw in which Mika said he thought it was silly when celebrities have their own lines of scent. I know it is not his own line of scent but it is still very similar and I thought that was sort of funny.

Celebrities 'creating' their own line of scent is COMPLETELY different: a cheap way of selling products with your name to the masses.

I prefer seeing him wearing his own more interesting and unique clothing than seeing him in a black suit.

Everyone seems to forget that it is not his own image you can see there. It is his face and 'story' that support the message Hugo Boss want to get across. The ad is NOT for Mika fans. It is for the target group of that particular brand. I hope it will be a successful campaign but otherwise it has no relevance to the way Mika is going to present himself in public in the future.

Edited by suzie

This is a big and brilliant step for Mika. It shows that he is gorgeous, and more particularly, grown up and a beautiful/handsome man. His look is haunting and not one you would forget easily - I think it will make people take a look at who is he and what he does.

He can't stay a goofy kid forever and this shows how different he is and how beautiful he has become. Not to mention how Masculine he looks it's absolutely brilliant. There was a video with Jonathan Rhys Meyers with a girl in an empty arena in a boxing ring - it was very, very beautiful and very, very sexy. Hopefully it would great to see Mika in video for the Hugo Boss fragrance.

He is a young man and he is expanding his horizons - he has people to meet, places to go and music to write. He needs lots of space to grow and create. His creativity I think reminds me of a young Andrew Lloyd Weber (but much, much, better looking and a different genre obviously). He has to outgrow tofu dolls, etc. - it's nice to see him looking and acting his age - young, beautiful and very sexy with those smoldering eyes.

Mika is truly blessed with so many assets. Let him use them - everyone seemed to think the Coke Cola episodes was so great and creative. He's growing up and hopefully will spread his wings as far as he can and land on his feet giggling and laughing and successful with a long and diverse career - in many different directions.

I am agree with few aspects of your post here, but I don't think that he need to play the model to show to the people that he is growing up, that is not because you are on the page of magazine that you are more mature... there is so many ways to growing up, he can do that in his creative part and that is the main part for him... If he needs to do that to have more confidence in himself so go for it, but I don't think he really need it.

Everyone seems to forget that it is not his own image you can see there. It is his face and 'story' that support the message Hugo Boss want to get across. The ad is NOT for Mika fans. It is for the target group of that particular brand. I hope it will be a successful campaign but otherwise it has no relevance to the way Mika is going to present himself in public in the future.

I agree, I'm just wondering if he will make any compromises with his third album, especially for US markets, I'm referring to his style and image... I hope not, I want to trust him not to :teehee: (And on the other hand, it's not about the style in the end.)

The only thing that bothers me now is the fact that he is not the first Mika representing HB, I think a Finnish formula driver used to have a deal with them, and I just can't see them representing the same label :aah: :aah:

Edited by tiibet

I agree with you! Besides, just because he had his photo taken for the ad, and has been to a couple of things in the evening, that doesn't mean he isn't working hard during the day.

I'm sure he is, but this campaign will hopefully get the public interested in him, help him to sell the albums he records and get him more fans.

Very well said:thumb_yello:

I agree, I'm just wondering if he will make any compromises with his third album, especially for US markets, I'm referring to his style and image... I hope not, I want to trust him not to :teehee: (And on the other hand, it's not about the style in the end.)

The only thing that bothers me now is the fact that he is not the first Mika representing HB, I think a Finnish formula driver used to have a deal with them, and I just can't see them representing the same label :aah: :aah:

Yes that was my point too... I remember the guys who promoted HB before,and Mika just doesn´t match :aah: :aah:

To me it seems a bit more difficult. I see him as an artist who has been known to create his work on his own terms, being proud of not compromising, not caring if he can't please everybody.

With his face he represents first and foremost the brand MIKA, though. These things are inseparably connected, as he is not only a faceless writer, but a public performer, too. Not only the puppet player but also his puppet. He's representing his own business in first place and this is different to an actor for example. In the past, especially in the beginning of his career he spent a lot of time, effort and thought in establishing and especially positioning that brand in a certain place, that I would call courageously different. His face on that ad looks to me like disturbingly common instead. Not only does it jeopardize that image he has created of himself as a real and special artist, he may even systematically nullify it.

However, I don't think of him as dumb. He did it with his eyes open, so maybe this is the plan.

To me it seems a bit more difficult. I see him as an artist who has been known to create his work on his own terms, being proud of not compromising, not caring if he can't please everybody.

With his face he represents first and foremost the brand MIKA, though. These things are inseparably connected, as he is not only a faceless writer, but a public performer, too. Not only the puppet player but also his puppet. He's representing his own business in first place and this is different to an actor for example. In the past, especially in the beginning of his career he spent a lot of time, effort and thought in establishing and especially positioning that brand in a certain place, that I would call courageously different. His face on that ad looks to me like disturbingly common instead. Not only does it jeopardize that image he has created of himself as a real and special artist, he may even systematically nullify it.

However, I don't think of him as dumb. He did it with his eyes open, so maybe this is the plan.

I don´t like the plan then :mf_rosetinted:

Yes that was my point too... I remember the guys who promoted HB before,and Mika just doesn´t match :aah: :aah:

It is called repositioning - unless (and more likely) it is a different brand of HB Mika is the face of now vs the brand Mika Häkkinen was representing. :wink2:

Could not have said it better myself. Actually this pic sort-of reminds me of a poster of Elvis that my sister had on her side of the bedroom wall when we were kids. It had a similar smouldering expression on the face and in the eyes.

To me, what this picture of Mika proves is that this talented guy can show different sides to himself. If you compare the HB photo with the ones taken at the Queen Exhibition, you'll understand what I mean. It's the same person, but a different persona. Goodness me! We are so lucky that Mika can surprise us so much and show his different looks to the world. We're never going to get bored with him!

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

It is called repositioning - unless (and more likely) it is a different brand of HB Mika is the face of now vs the brand Mika Häkkinen was representing. :wink2:

I can't think this in a rational way, what ever marketing term we use :aah: Mika Häkkinen represents an opposite of "our Mika" in every way, and HB makes it's possible to mention those two men in the same sentence :roftl:

But in general, I'm sure he knows what he is doing, this is a great promotion to him and the ad is gorgeous :thumb_yello:

With his face he represents first and foremost the brand MIKA, though. These things are inseparably connected, as he is not only a faceless writer, but a public performer, too. Not only the puppet player but also his puppet. He's representing his own business in first place and this is different to an actor for example.

Yes, that is true. He is representing himself anywhere he appears vs an actor who is meant to play roles. However, to me he is playing a role on stage and his stage persona is not the 'real' Mika.

In the past, especially in the beginning of his career he spent a lot of time, effort and thought in establishing and especially positioning that brand in a certain place, that I would call courageously different. [/b]His face on that ad looks to me like disturbingly common instead. Not only does it jeopardize that image he has created of himself as a real and special artist, he may even systematically nullify it.

Yes, exactly. The way I interpret the slight change in his real life appearace (more laid back, less colourful) it is that being courageously different is the new trend. All the artists who have been successful in the last couple of years (from the likes of Lady Gaga via Adam Lambert to Katy Perry) are delivering that message both in their songs and in their appearance. And to tell you the truth, I am pretty much tired of it. :cool:

The way I see the ad fit in Mika's perception is that he has been using all these first 'original' concepts of being proud to be different (that other artists 'stole' and achieved massive success with it) to take him to a level that ensures his creative freedom.

So, to me, on that ad he is laughing back at his critics.

Edited by suzie

Yes, that is true. He is representing himself anywhere he appears vs an actor who is meant to play roles. However, to me he is playing a role on stage and his stage persona is not the 'real' Mika.

Yes, exactly. The way I interpret the slight change in his real life appearace (more laid back, less colourful) it is that being courageously different is the new trend. All the artists who have been successful in the last couple of years (from the likes of Lady Gaga via Adam Lambert to Katy Perry) are delivering that message both in their songs and in their appearance. And to tell you the truth, I am pretty much tired of it. :cool:

The way I see the ad fit in Mika's perception is that he has been using all these first 'original' concepts of being proud to be different (that other artists 'stole' and achieved massive success with it) to take him to a level that ensures his creative freedom.

woah! never thought about this in this way!! I like it!!:thumb_yello:

You're probably very right there. Now looking at it this ad seems to me as nothing but the manifestation of a transformation process that has been completed already, unnoticed by few (like me) who were watching without being aware that many gradual steps of change may lead to something far away from the point of departure.

I like these thoughts, I think you can be right :thumb_yello: I'm so curious about his new music...

This ad is all about HB. it just happens to have Mika's face on it.

We notice the change in Mika, but most people will not know the difference.

in a way, he's endorsed a few products along the way, maybe just not as official as this one (coke, louboutin etc...)

i'm not bothered by it, as long as he goes back to the microphone :fangurl:

Celebrities 'creating' their own line of scent is COMPLETELY different: a cheap way of selling products with your name to the masses.

Exactly!! :thumb_yello:

could not have said it better myself. Actually this pic sort-of reminds me of a poster of elvis that my sister had on her side of the bedroom wall when we were kids. It had a similar smouldering expression on the face and in the eyes.

To me, what this picture of mika proves is that this talented guy can show different sides to himself. If you compare the hb photo with the ones taken at the queen exhibition, you'll understand what i mean. It's the same person, but a different persona. Goodness me! We are so lucky that mika can surprise us so much and show his different looks to the world. We're never going to get bored with him!

never!

Another great post! Yes, you put it wonderfully well! He's remaining one-step-ahead of the current trends.

I agree, he DID start the movement that they've all copied, about being 'different', and people like Gaga have taken it to such extremes that if Mika continued in that vein, he wouldn't actually BE different anymore. They'd think of him as a male Gaga, or else keep comparing him to Adam Lambert.

So he's on a new track, and good for him.

I think the lesson here for all of us is to just trust Mika and let him do things HIS way. We're not going to loose him, but we have to let him do what feels right, to him.