The artist-fan dynamic in the Twitter era

zoots14

Hi all!

Many of you probably don't remember me, but some of you who have been here for a long time will. I haven't been around for a while, but I still have a close group of MFC friends who I talk with regularly on Twitter, MSN and email.

I wrote them an email this morning... some ramblings about Twitter that I just woke up thinking about for some reason. We've been having some back-and forth discussion about it, and they've encouraged me to come back and post it here.

Keep in mind this was meant as an email between a few friends, and I've said a few things you may not agree with. That's perfectly fine... the reason I'm posting it here is because I'm hoping it will spark some interesting debate. Please feel free to discuss (and disagree if you wish!).

I hope everyone's well,

All the best,

Zoots xx

The email:

For some reason it just really struck me this morning just how much of an impact Twitter has had on the celebrity-fan relationship in the past 2 years. I think maybe it was the Katy-Calvin dirty laundry thing that did it for me.

It's really been a massive shift in the way the world of celebrity works. It's the great equalizer. It has completely leveled the playing field...

Every celebrity has the same chance, the same 140 characters, the same formatting, the same rules of communication, and it's up to them to use it or not, to use it well or not, and to use it often or not. They can tweet by themselves or can have staff tweet for them (make it personal or not). They can tweet about random personal things, work related things, keep it at the level of simple news/tour updates, or just say good morning a la George Michael. It's up to them. They'll benefit from it in exact proportion to what they put into it.

I think a lot of them resisted at the beginning because of the nature of it. Like a conversation with a friendly coworker - sometimes you can get a bit too comfortable and say too much & then regret it later, but what you've said is already out there.

When you have zillions of followers (or just those 1000 core fan followers), every tweet has weight. Every tweet is open to interpretation and scrutiny, and that's scary when your reputation is your career. Your words have the potential to be misinterpreted & misconstrued, retweeted with comments that might be negative, etc. That's always the case with celebrities, but now they have a platform that's more direct (unfiltered by publicists), much more casual, and with more frequent interaction. It's easy to get lulled into letting your guard down and saying things you might regret a bit the next day, whether it's drunk tweeting or airing dirty laundry when you're angry. Everyone sees everything and often your tweets are published in the rag mags the next day if they're noteworthy.

In the end though, I think the majority have realized that it's an incredible and historical new level of connection, personalization and communication with your fan base. It makes the most untouchable celebrity seem accessible. It gives the struggling up-and-comer the opportunity to reach thousands of new people who otherwise wouldn't have heard of them. It encourages word-of-mouth in an unprecedented way. It gives ALL of them, regardless of status, the chance to show their personality. Or to not show it.

• You can be charming and friendly and interactive if you have that in you.
  • You can put tons of effort into it and word of mouth will spread - like Sam Beeton & Imogen Heap, perfect examples.
  • You can be friendly yet professional - I think Jimmy & Imma have done a phenomenal job of this... they've really embraced it and endeared themselves to us via Twitter.
  • You can be inconsistent and confuse your fanbase - Mika.
  • You can be goofy and win back public opinion - George Michael.
  • You can let it all hang out and not give a hoot what people think of your tweets - Katy & Calvin.
  • You can have verbal diarrhea and people will write songs just to mock your tweets - Kanye. :naughty:

I think most of the ones who recognize the opportunity are already on Twitter... anyone who jumps on now (if they're not a new star) is probably just being pushed there by their managers because it's "the thing to do".

The ones who have been on for a while are still figuring out their balance. Others just don't care and have an "I am what I am, take it or leave it" attitude... I like those. It's open & sincere which is appealing even if they make some blunders. The ones who hold back a bit more to maintain professionalism can still be very appealing as long as they're somewhat consistent and/or interesting.

To me, Mika has been communicating like the boyfriend who might be breaking up with you... you're not quite sure. Sometimes he calls, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he says things that you're sure have a double meaning or that are so vague that you know he's not telling you something. He throws you a bone every once in a while and you're all happy again, convincing yourself it's just like it used to be. He knows he has you on a string and he knows how to pull those strings just enough to keep you around. You're not his main priority anymore.

On the positive side he was on Twitter relatively early and has tweeted a lot, although sporadically. He has experimented with Twitter's potential with things like the secret Roxy gig. He tweets by himself, not through Team Mika. He doesn't edit in terms of running it past a publicist first - which I think is great - so we see all his spelling mistakes & drunk tweets. That's more authentic and personal. I love it when he really interacts with us and when he actually keeps us updated on what he's up to.

What I don't like is when he either tweets some useless two words to keep us satisfied (which works for a certain segment of the fan base, sure). Or when he vaguely says "oh I'm working so hard on my new album, I'm hiding away from everything to work so hard for you, my fans". That's obviously a load of fluff if he then disppears from us but we find all sorts of other random people around the world tweeting that they've just hung out with him or seen him doing such and such. That only serves to make us feel like it's us, his fans, that he's 'hiding' from... not hiding away in the studio making a new album. It was so much nicer last time around when we had those lovely semi-regular blogs & vlogs to fill the gap. Even his old bare-bones blog site was much better (on WordPress I think?)... the MikaSounds site is not user friendly and is left unattended to whither away. His original vision of it is long gone and he needs to understand that content is king - not gimmicks. Given all of that, he should really be using Twitter more effectively to keep himself in our hearts until he revamps the site.

The great thing about Mika's twitter style is one and the same as the downside of Mika's twitter style... we see his personality, the good along with the bad. I really wish he'd wise up and realize that if he wants longevity he needs to nourish his fan base in a more effective way. He's always been creative, well-intentioned and wanting to give his all to his fans, we know that, but the follow-through is really lacking. Even in the Magic Numbers gig it looked like he couldn't get out of there fast enough after. Wasn't there supposed to be a champagne reception with him (ie not just amongst the fans themselves before he got there?)

When he comes on Twitter and takes a passive-agressive shot like "Twitter bitter" and then runs away because we didn't like his clown picture, he's acting like a child who's saying "Humph! Fine! I'm not playing with you any more!" - and he's not even saying it directly, he's hiding behind a vague response! He's missing the opportunity to reevaluate what's working or not working in terms of his interaction & communication with his fans.

I'm not trying to blindly or randomly criticize him here... I'm saying he has a massive opportunity to evolve and grow right now as an artist who, let's face it, wants and needs his fans. We all still love him and he's done some incredible things, but if he opens his eyes and sees the opportunities here he could really take it to the next level. He needs to stop focusing on gimmicks, homemade costumes and abundance of props, and get back to basics. Keep it simple. He's got a voice of gold and great songwriting skills. He needs to get back to the core of it, what really matters, and the rest will fall into place.

But I'm getting off track...

I give him a grade of C- on his use of Twitter as a tool for cultivating his artist-fan relationships. :naughty:

Thoughts?

Anyway guys... sorry for the loooong and rambling email! I don't know what got into me! Talk to ya soon.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Zoots!:punk:

I remember you ofcourse! (Welcome back!)

I made myself a Twitter-account just to be able to follow Mika's tweets. But now I only think about it as "nice" when he tweets, unless ofcourse it's something really interesting.

But as it comes to Twitter itself: I am an addict:teehee: It feeds my curiosity quit fine:biggrin2:

However, I do have to say re the Magic Numbers gig: Mika was already running late when he finally arrived, and during the M&G he kept saying he had to go (presumably for a soundcheck for his evening gig). So I think it ended up being more rushed than it had been intended to be.

Three watches and he still can't keep track of time :mf_rosetinted:

What a great post! :thumb_yello:

There are so many points I’d like to comment on but first let me react to the ones I find the most relevant at the moment:

To me, Mika has been communicating like the boyfriend who might be breaking up with you... you're not quite sure. Sometimes he calls, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he says things that you're sure have a double meaning or that are so vague that you know he's not telling you something. He throws you a bone every once in a while and you're all happy again, convincing yourself it's just like it used to be. He knows he has you on a string and he knows how to pull those strings just enough to keep you around. You're not his main priority anymore.

It is a perfect analogy. Your boyfriend might be fed up with you and looking for new areas to explore but he still wants to keep the strings with which he can pull you back any time should he need you. It is a dangerous game though. What if I set my eyes on someone else or my priorties change in the meantime? I hate to be taken for granted - I need to be won over and impressed each time. :shun:

The great thing about Mika's twitter style is one and the same as the downside of Mika's twitter style... we see his personality, the good along with the bad. I really wish he'd wise up and realize that if he wants longevity he needs to nourish his fan base in a more effective way. He's always been creative, well-intentioned and wanting to give his all to his fans, we know that, but the follow-through is really lacking.

Yes, I’d like to see him making an effort now and then – something he did at the beginning of his career. He can’t possibly be fed up with communicating with his fans. :dunno:

I do remember you Zoots , that's nice to see you're still around :wink2:

I guess we all feel the same, missing the old site and the closeness we could feel there, longing for twits but needing long blogs and Vlogs :wub2:

La Republica 's column is great , but there are not enough...

We're all watching old Mika vids and hoping for some new ones with bits of new song...aww!

Well, Mika is a human being, he deserves free time as well and we can't blame him for that.

They'll come in due time I'm sure :thumb_yello:

Twitter is great as we can always hope he reads one of our twits one day :wink2:

It's also wonderful to keep in touch with all the other Mika fans :clap:

And once in a while, we get some news from Mika...I don't mind that he twitted "bitter twitter" , that's totally understandable as if he does read his twits, all are nor from fans and all are not nice, but I don't want to get into this...and I guess all famous people get all sorts of twits on their twitter :boxed:

At some point it would be great to merge MS and MFC , so we would take care of it in a better way that MS team does now...and I'm not the only one around who thinks that :wink2:

I'm saying he has a massive opportunity to evolve and grow right now as an artist who, let's face it, wants and needs his fans.

[/font][/color]

This is wat Annemaaikie and I were talking about. He is losing fans here in the Netherlands. On Mikasounds.hyves.nl last year we had almost 7000 members, now only 5000.

I think that if Mika would treat his fans as he used to do (vidblogs and all) the fans would stay interested!

All the people are speaking about the good old times with all the vlogs and blogs on the holdingpage. I also was there and I remember very well all the discussions at that time. We also have had a long time without vlog when Mika started recording in LA. You can see it when you watch the vlogs. He told us that he is in LA and then the next vlog came out in spring with hints of the new music. ( O.K. there was the sledging vlog for christmas )

Yes we got blogs but I remember that a lot of people were angry about Mika blogging pictures of bubble gum or book towers or plastic bags. He didn´t blog about his work!!! ( I have all his blogs ) and he also had times where he didn´t write anything. Am I really the only one who remember the bad discussions at that time?

Nothing really changed .......

At some point it would be great to merge MS and MFC , so we would take care of it in a better way that MS team does now...and I'm not the only one around who thinks that :wink2:

I don't think MS and MFC have the same interests at heart so I don't think a merger would work.

What we need on MS is someone who actually cares about Mika to run it.

I'm going to comment on the rest later...

Yes we got blogs but I remember that a lot of people were angry about Mika blogging pictures of bubble gum or book towers or plastic bags. He didn´t blog about his work!!! ( I have all his blogs ) and he also had times where he didn´t write anything. Am I really the only one who remember the bad discussions at that time?

I want to ask you about the blogs...since they seem to be trashed on MS a few of us have been talking about recreating them. Would you mind forwarding me a copy at some point? Would it be a lot of work to put them together? Some people have already started putting a large video archive together and I'd love to save Mika's blogs as well.

I remember well what happened last time. And I don't want to see it happen again. :dunno:

I don't think MS and MFC have the same interests at heart so I don't think a merger would work.

What we need on MS is someone who actually cares about Mika to run it.

Exactly.:thumb_yello:

Even if they don't care about him but understand the basic principles of how to help build and keep a fanbase with the help of a website and are passionate about their work, it should work.

Well, I will comment more when I am feeling a bit more awake, but as you know, this is exactly how I view it too....You explained it all really well, and there really isn't much to add. I think that you've done a magnificent job at laying it all out there in a really organised and concise way. Perfect.

Oh please no :aah: Actually in 2008 we were worried that Mikasounds and MFC would be merged when MFC became official, but the other way around - with Mikasounds taking care of MFC. Which I'm sure we can all agree would be a complete disaster. :roftl:

Mikasounds is owned by Universal and I can't imagine they would ever fully hand the reins over to fans. As far as I'm concerned the only way for Mikasounds to ever see competent, hands-on maintenance would be if it was no longer under record label control and Mika managed to hire a competent third party web company to take care of it. Right now it's just not a priority. Mika's not doing anything, he's not the next big thing like he was in 2007, and they're all busy plugging Jessie J or whoever.

It drives me nuts that Mikasounds is always half broken, but I can bear it as long as they keep their hands off MFC. :aah:

All the people are speaking about the good old times with all the vlogs and blogs on the holdingpage. I also was there and I remember very well all the discussions at that time. We also have had a long time without vlog when Mika started recording in LA. You can see it when you watch the vlogs. He told us that he is in LA and then the next vlog came out in spring with hints of the new music. ( O.K. there was the sledging vlog for christmas )

I disagree - what has changed is that we are now getting nothing from him at all. His 2008 Wordpress holding page that was nothing but blogs and vlogs was the best incarnation of Mikasounds ever, IMHO. Why? Because it worked, and because it contained current content. That's all it takes - and that should be prioritized WAY above pretty graphical backgrounds and half-implemented functionality.

You say there was a long time between the LA studio vlog and the first new music vlog - but it was really less than four months. AND as you mentioned, we also got that White Christmas vlog in between (which notably has way more views than even some of the vlogs from when he was doing the festival tour - so clearly people are watching). What has Mika shared in the last four months? Just a few tweets, really. I don't count the XL Repubblica columns because they are not targeted at his broader fanbase; they are meant for the readers of that particular Italian publication. If not for MFC we wouldn't know those columns exist, nor would the English originals be available.

I remember people complaining about Mika blogging about random things rather than his music back in 2008, but I also remember a vocal opposition to the complainers who were just happy to hear something from him, to get a little bit of insight into what he was interested in and maybe get some exposure to some new things. Especially since in addition to the random blogs we also got things like those Q&As he did for five minutes, or the studio vlog from London when he was still just in the demo phase. Personally I find his delivery interesting which is why I'm happy to read his thoughts about online dating, random art or the state of healthcare. I would happily welcome that back.

As for Twitter and fan relations...

I think the biggest thing artists need to realize is that every music fan who is on Twitter with any regularity is a huge opportunity, and every fan who follows you becomes low hanging fruit. For example, I wouldn't be actively seeking out what Jewel or Pink are doing, but now that I'm following them, they can directly advertise their wares without spending a penny. I don't need to see a TV spot or a newspaper ad to know that Jewel has a new single out or is coming to my city; I check Twitter when I'm rolling out of bed and bam, the information is right there for the consuming.

So updates about what the artist is up to (read: what they have to sell) are important and necessary, but it's when artists use Twitter to build a connection that it really shines. I find that if an artist who was only peripherally on my radar proves to be entertaining, human, funny, or interesting that translates into real dollars-and-cents return in that I'm more eager to spend money on what they're creating. Again, Pink is a good example. I've always liked a few of her singles, but following her and realizing that she's actually quite intelligent, warm and witty has made me respect and admire her, and would make me far more likely to go suffer through a concert at the crappy Saddledome (our local arena venue, which I don't particularly enjoy) because I like her. Jewel has a particularly interesting approach: she has her own account through which her personality shines, and then her manager has an account which is used for fielding fan concerns, answering questions and holding contests.

Mika was really good at that for the first year he was on Twitter. I was reading his 2009 tweets and they really conveyed a lot of his personality. If Mika had maintained that and nurtured it he would have far more followers than he does - again, followers who could translate into easy targets who don't have to be reached by airplay or conventional advertising when he's got a new album and tour to sell. Mika is naturally interesting and terribly charismatic, so he wouldn't even really need to try all that hard.

Hello Zoots, nice to see you again!:bye:

I can't but agree with almost every word you said in your post!:thumb_yello:

Lovely to read too:wub2: because you made so many funny examples!

Mika and his Twitter is imo just a sad story.:emot-sad: They really doesn't say anything, they are just weird.:aah:

It feels like I've given up on him to ever be interested to give us something worth of interest, it's a little sad but I think his tweets are as good as it gets.

In the worst case scenario he has given up too, I'm thinking about how we have seen him loose interest in a lot of things he has once started and then just stopped.:blink:

I'm following some more artists on twitter and that way I've got tips on new movies, good TV series, books and stuff, which otherwise would have taken ages to reach my little faraway country.:kachinga:

Some examples of artists who seem to make the most of twitter:

John Barrowman, he mixes tweets about new events with links to his official site and personal little greetings.

Caley Couco, gives lots of tips about TV series, and news about her own work of course.

Ellen DeGeneres talks a lot and has links to her You Tube site with snippets from her shows and funny pictures.

There are so many more....

Zoots! Welcome back! And what a great thread!

I have thought a lot about twitter too. People like Gaga have several MILLION followers, that might give her a lot of influence if every one one of them read her tweets.

My thought is that a lot of celebs don't bother with reading their @replies. It's a one-way street for them - they have something they'd like to say/promote/sell and that is all they use it for, and they don't wait for or look at @replies. They never reply to anyone, so nobody expects a response.

However, there are other celebs who may be curious to see what people are saying back. (Narcissists? Superfans? Stalkers? see that thread:roftl:)

But if a celeb has 1 million followers, and everyone tweets back to them every time they tweet, then that's a huge number of @replies....so they must just have to skim over them and get the gist or pick one or two interesting ones to reply to.

And I can see this might be what frustrates Mika about Twitter. In the beginning he saw Twitter as a chance to interact with fans. And it was, and it was heaps of fun at the start. But if *you* opened your own twitter account everyday and checked your @replies or mentions, can you imagine how awful it must be the get MILLIONS of spammy tweets, complaints, Follow Fridays, confessions of undying love or whatever? Some people would surely lose interest, and start to revile twitter...knowing that if you tweet, a floodgate of crappy @replies will appear, and any chance of reading an interesting response is lost in all of that.

But instead of running away and never using Twitter, maybe what is required is an actual effort to ENCOURAGE interesting responses. Mika hasn't tweeted anything interesting for ages - it's like he gets on a plane, has nothing better to do, so checks Twitter on his phone and tweets "Now I am going to Florida." You can't make a good conversation out of that.

Another thing - why isn't Mika's account a verified account? That way he would be sure to get a broader fan base, people could be sure it's him. That's part of the appeal of Twitter, people want to "talk" to celebrities. It's just fun! Don't be boring MIKA!!:teehee:

question: what would you expect, in term of communication via twitter or else, from an artist who decides to take 5 years to work on its new album?

when was the last time George Michael had an album out? 6 years maybe?

either way, it's been a long time & yet, he found a way to communicate with existing fans & pick up new ones along the way.

i used to like him alot, then forgot all about him & seeing how he interacts with fans, i'm finding myself looking at some of his youtube performance & listening to some of his music while working....

so he did find a way to connect with me, even without having an album out.

one thing i always wondered... i don't know anything about the music industry and how it all works, but wouldn't it benefit Mika's career if he came out with a song even before his album is completed? perhaps get some air time on radios & gain/maintain fans along the way?

and zoots, i really enjoyed reading your post... :blush-anim-cl:

when was the last time George Michael had an album out? 6 years maybe?

either way, it's been a long time & yet, he found a way to communicate with existing fans & pick up new ones along the way.

i used to like him alot, then forgot all about him & seeing how he interacts with fans, i'm finding myself looking at some of his youtube performance & listening to some of his music while working....

so he did find a way to connect with me, even without having an album out.

one thing i always wondered... i don't know anything about the music industry and how it all works, but wouldn't it benefit Mika's career if he came out with a song even before his album is completed? perhaps get some air time on radios & gain/maintain fans along the way?

and zoots, i really enjoyed reading your post... :blush-anim-cl:

but of those 6 years, didn't he totally disappear for a few years?

Don't know much about the music industry either, but I like your suggestion.

PS: I recently reconnect with Duran DUran and I decide to try to get a tocket for their show in april:wink2:

but of those 6 years, didn't he totally disappear for a few years?

Don't know much about the music industry either, but I like your suggestion.

PS: I recently reconnect with Duran DUran and I decide to try to get a tocket for their show in april:wink2:

i think he did lay low :naughty: but what a great way to reconnect with people via twitter & remind us that he is still alive & well. :biggrin2:

i think he did lay low :naughty: but what a great way to reconnect with people via twitter & remind us that he is still alive & well. :biggrin2:

I agree:wink2:

Not that I would like Mika to do that:shocked:

Will check George Michael, I did like him a lot a few (many) years ago:teehee:

I agree:wink2:

Not that I would like Mika to do that:shocked:

Will check George Michael, I did like him a lot a few (many) years ago:teehee:

well, i think they have different circumstances. i think george needed to lay low & figure out a thing or 2... which doesn't seem to be Mika's case :naughty:

i agree in a way, but not 100%. it's right what you say, that mika should use his twitter more, show his personality, interact with fans... but fact is, he doesn't like twitter. he's said that more than once, not for the first time with his "twitter bitter" tweet. and bluesky, i think you explained very well the reasons for that. :thumb_yello: fact is also, he's currently working in the studio, not touring or promoting a new cd. i remember this interview he did in california in 2009, where he said sth along the lines of that at some point he had the feeling he got too close to his fans. i can totally understand him that he needs some distance, a few months without hundreds and thousands of people around the world analyzing and often also critizising his every step, every day, 24/7. ok he could stop reading his @ replies, but that wouldn't be interaction anymore then.

so yeah, it would be good for his career if he used twitter in the way you say. it also would be good for his career if he had a proper website (with someone behind it who cares). but i guess he just wants to concentrate on the thing that's most fun for him, and most important in his career: his music. the important things he has to say, he communicates in his songs. i guess the reason why he tweets at all, despite having nothing to sell right now, and despite hating twitter so much, is because he knows we're happy to hear from him. he probably can't think of much to say, because his private life is private, and because he doesn't want to give anything away re. his new album yet. i'm sure that when he's ready for it, we'll get to hear about his new songs. :wink2:

we've come a long way since 2007, where we didn't even hear about gigs being cancelled until the last minute. i don't know mika either, but his very own way of communicating, that might not always be the best rational option, is probably part of his personality.

so although i find his current tweets not very interesting, i'm just happy to hear from him at all. :thumb_yello:

Or maybe even an EP :biggrin2:

Artists even used to release singles in their own right - not as a "taster" for an album. I think those days are gone :sad:. What worries me more is the trend to go for digital only releases. I would hate to have a Mika album on MP3 only, with no artwork.

Or maybe even an EP :biggrin2:

Artists even used to release singles in their own right - not as a "taster" for an album. I think those days are gone :sad:. What worries me more is the trend to go for digital only releases. I would hate to have a Mika album on MP3 only, with no artwork.

I also want to have the album in my hands, the REAL thing.

Archived