Your SHORT opinion about 3 new songs

1 Was not impressed with the distorted vocals but this song has a couple of fantastic hooks so it's irresistible. :biggrin2:

2 Boring. Maybe I would like it if it was in English but it holds so little interest for me I have not bothered to look at the translation. One French song at a time is enough for me to absorb and I find it crazy that he is wasting time producing yet another 3 French songs when the world needs another great Mika album pronto.

3 Worst song Mika has ever written. :boxed:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Elle Me Dit

I've absolutely adored it from the first time. I was scared before cause he said this album was gonna be different, but when I heard that I knew I was gonna love it all.

2. 82, rue des Martyrs (Karen)

Love the mellody. I've just heard it 3 times though. I've already had a hard time trying to learn EMD and I failed, didn't even try with this one.

Comment on 1 and 2

I love both songs and I'm ok with him writting in French, but I must admit I find it dissapointing not being able to sing to/understand them.

3. Blame It On The Weather

I absolutely adore it! I think it has a lot of passion on the mellody, kind of HE like. I hope he adds a few lines to it and removes one chorus though. And Gosh! Please don't let him name it like that! BIOTG+Rain+BIOTW will be too much.

1. Loved it since the first time I have heard it. Catchy song, definitely my summer hit. 2. It sounds great, even if I can't understand the lyrics very well. I think his French sounds better here than on Elle me dit. 3. The instrumental part is such a beautiful lullaby, but it's true that the lyrics could be improved. Anyway, I don't really find something wrong with this song; I like this kind of music. Maybe it's just me.

1- Elle Me Dit

It's ok. Not earth shattering, nothing special, but it's got a good beat and it's catchy. Very catchy. It can do the trick for a short while (but is a very short lived song I feel. The type that gets you obsessed for a few weeks and then you can't ever bear listening to again later)

2-"Karen"

As I said in the other thread, I find that it's kinda dull but it has a nice mellody to it (the chorus, mainly, how it builds up). However, the fact that Mika's French singing (IMNSO) sounds really phony and unnatural and forced, ruins the song for me. If this song was in English I think I would actually like it :dunno:

Not because it's French and English, but because English is his native tongue and not French (despite what anyone says.).

The facts speak for themselves. He had to stop speaking french at the gig the other day and turn to English cause he could not express himself properly in French. I rest my case!

French does not come naturally to him, and it comes across and transpires in the way he writes the songs and how he performs them. I can feel it and I'm not even French...

And it's not a matter of not understanding what he says, becuase I do. Its just that I find that he doesn't come across like he's singing in a genuine way.

3- Blame It On The Weather

So boring and dull and poor, that I haven't even been able to listen to it in full. I keep stopping it because I can't listen to it longer.

Part of it is that I find the song really bad, and part of it is that I really dislike Ida's voice in it. She has a great voice no doubt, but I find that her operatic style REALLY doesn't work here, and her voice sounds way too shrilly and just ruins it.

Then again, I think the song is really badly written (with one of my most hated grammatical errors, the 'nothing' at the start :doh:) and just meh

1. Elle Me Dit

It's fine. Not great, not crappy, a decent summer dance song, but not mindblowing. My biggest gripe is the synthed-up vocals.

My favourite of the three! I love the way it starts slow and then builds up when the drums kick in. I do wish I could understand the words, but the melody is good enough that I can overlook that. :teehee:

I hope he goes with "82 Rue Des Martyrs" instead of just "Karen" for the official title.

Meh. I don't think Ida makes a good pop singer. It's like they're trying to force her stunning classical voice into a box it doesn't fit into. I preferred her doing the opera intro last year for Good Gone Girl. I'd like to hear iMMa do this song with him.

Oh and it needs a new title. How about just "Weather"...? We've already blamed it on the girls, no need to blame it on the weather too. :naughty:

I quote you Mana because I totally agree with you about 1) and 2). I see number 3) a bit differently, not as a typical pop song but an over-emotional, melodramatic song and I love it, maybe because I'm a tiny bit over-emotional person :teehee: So let's blame in on the weather, but I would change the official title too.

1 - Meh...I got used to it. It will probably grow on me once (if) I listen to it live. But it's just an "ok" song, compared to other Mika has done. :dunno: Not bad for a radio hit, I guess...

2 - Really like it. Got my attention right when I listened to it for the first time, and I actually haven't got tired of it, as it happened with Elle Me Dit. :naughty:

It's a very good bonus track, IMO. Maybe not perfect for gigs/festivals, but still very nice.

3 - :sleep_1:

2. It sounds great, even if I can't understand the lyrics very well. I think his French sounds better here than on Elle me dit.

Heaven knows Mika's French accent is far, far better than mine but are you talking about some of the line-endings where he over enunciates (at least that's how it seems to me, especially compared to normal speech)? Because he also does this in English to the point where you hear extra syllables in some words. I think this is just the way he likes to phrase a few songs (Good Gone Girl has a few examples of this).

Or do you mean the lyrics are actually written in better French?

1. Elle Me Dit

I loved this song in the first hearing, very danceable, very much, makes me happy :boing:

My favourite :mf_lustslow: delight to hear, one of the most beautiful song I've ever heard :fangurl: don't speak french, but just love french music :biggrin2:

I don't know :dunno: I don't like the melody, maybe I need to hear more often.

1. Elle Me Dit

I loved this song in the first hearing, very danceable, very much, makes me happy :boing:

My favourite :mf_lustslow: delight to hear, one of the most beautiful song I've ever heard :fangurl: don't speak french, but just love french music :biggrin2:

I don't know :dunno: I don't like the melody, maybe I need to hear more often.

I think I agree with everything you just said! literally...! :naughty::blush-anim-cl:

I think I definatly need to listen to Blame It On The Weather more..I still dont understand the duet or the melody..but I really enjoy the chorus :wub2:

1. Elle Me Dit - I like it! Can't understand a word of it but I really like it!

2. 82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - It starts off really slow, but once the beat kicks in it sounds kinda cool...

3. Blame It On The Weather - I don't really want to judge it until I hear the studio version, but so far I'm not liking it...

I haven't say anything about any of new songs, so this thread is perfect for me :teehee:

1. Elle Me Dit. First time I listened it, I didn't liked it. But it was first Mika song after such a long time, so I wanted to like it and because of that I listened to it again and again and again... So now I kinda like it, but don't love it :blush-anim-cl:

2. 82, rue des Martyrs (Karen). Can't stop listening to it. Love it :mf_lustslow: Nothing to add more :thumb_yello:

3. Blame It On The Weather. Love this one too. I think it's beautiful ballad :wub2:

Heaven knows Mika's French accent is far, far better than mine but are you talking about some of the line-endings where he over enunciates (at least that's how it seems to me, especially compared to normal speech)? Because he also does this in English to the point where you hear extra syllables in some words. I think this is just the way he likes to phrase a few songs (Good Gone Girl has a few examples of this).

Or do you mean the lyrics are actually written in better French?

As somebody has said before, French doesn`t come to him as naturally as English does. But `82, rue de martyr` seems more fluent. Maybe the lyrics are written in better French, but I have to read them first :wink2: do you know where could I find them, if they are available?

1- Elle Me Dit

It's ok. Not earth shattering, nothing special, but it's got a good beat and it's catchy. Very catchy. It can do the trick for a short while (but is a very short lived song I feel. The type that gets you obsessed for a few weeks and then you can't ever bear listening to again later)

2-"Karen"

As I said in the other thread, I find that it's kinda dull but it has a nice mellody to it (the chorus, mainly, how it builds up). However, the fact that Mika's French singing (IMNSO) sounds really phony and unnatural and forced, ruins the song for me. If this song was in English I think I would actually like it :dunno:

Not because it's French and English, but because English is his native tongue and not French (despite what anyone says.).

The facts speak for themselves. He had to stop speaking french at the gig the other day and turn to English cause he could not express himself properly in French. I rest my case!

French does not come naturally to him, and it comes across and transpires in the way he writes the songs and how he performs them. I can feel it and I'm not even French...

And it's not a matter of not understanding what he says, becuase I do. Its just that I find that he doesn't come across like he's singing in a genuine way.

3- Blame It On The Weather

So boring and dull and poor, that I haven't even been able to listen to it in full. I keep stopping it because I can't listen to it longer.

Part of it is that I find the song really bad, and part of it is that I really dislike Ida's voice in it. She has a great voice no doubt, but I find that her operatic style REALLY doesn't work here, and her voice sounds way too shrilly and just ruins it.

Then again, I think the song is really badly written (with one of my most hated grammatical errors, the 'nothing' at the start :doh:) and just meh

totally agree on most of your opinion. I'm not English Speaker, but his french songs sound so uncomfortable for me. I could feel that he can't perfectly express himself in French ....:dunno:

Every song is different and I really love every song in it´s way. Elle Me dit reminds me to One Foot Boy because I could discover so many hidden details like his different backing voices every time I heard it. And I love the different mellodies in it, it simply makes me happy.

Karen is very powerful for me and shows his beautiful voice.

BIOTW is always in my head since I heard it and I really cried when I heard it for the first time. I love ballads ( and I have a movie in my head when I listen to the lyrics :wink2:)

1. Elle Me Dit

really catch song, cool and dancy...feel like drinking soda drink in hot summer.

I loved it so much when I first heard that. It sounds so MIKA.

But, it has weak impact as a top single. the melody and beat is so easy and simple so I think People can be fed up with it so quickly....

2. Karen

It has some nice melody line.. If he rearrange the song with some other melody or beat, the song can be improved to a nice one later...I think.

this one is little bit boring..

3. Blame it on the weather

the worst song ever heard from Mika.

Mika's voice itself is really perfect and great for me so I loved every song he covered so far. But in case of this one, Ida's voice just kills Mika's great voice so it spoils the dull melody line again..

I just want to say... I love Mika's voice so much. so I hope he would make simple songs which can express his perfect voice itself. I think Good Gone Girl is a great example. hope he wouldn't spoil his amazing voice with weird electronic sounds...

So...

here is my option..

1. Elle Me Dit - first time I heard it, I thought - "It's OK", but Now I like it very much..!! Even I dont understand anything - I love it..!!:wub2:

2. 82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - hmm.. since I listening it -the melody is good... lovely... but some time after - I even dont remember the melody..:blink:

3. Blame It On The Weather - I dont know.. really....!!! Maybe thats not my favorite song type, but maybe I just dont like it...:blink:(Sorry Mika:aah:)

1. Elle Me Dit

really catch song, cool and dancy...feel like drinking soda drink in hot summer.

I loved it so much when I first heard that. It sounds so MIKA.

But, it has weak impact as a top single. the melody and beat is so easy and simple so I think People can be fed up with it so quickly....

2. Karen

It has some nice melody line.. If he rearrange the song with some other melody or beat, the song can be improved to a nice one later...I think.

this one is little bit boring..

3. Blame it on the weather

the worst song ever heard from Mika.

Mika's voice itself is really perfect and great for me so I loved every song he covered so far. But in case of this one, Ida's voice just kills Mika's great voice so it spoils the dull melody line again..

I just want to say... I love Mika's voice so much. so I hope he would make simple songs which can express his perfect voice itself. I think Good Gone Girl is a great example. hope he wouldn't spoil his amazing voice with weird electronic sounds...

I really hope it so much as well

1. Elle Me Dit: Like it! A very catchy pop song, so called party song, it will work pretty well on the concerts.

2. 82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - Boring. Nothing new + a very bad lyric.

3. Blame It On The Weather: Both, lyric and song are a little bit cliche but it can be a beautiful song after he worked on it. I like Ida's voice - but in this case doesn't works.

So...

here is my option..

1. Elle Me Dit - first time I heard it, I thought - "It's OK", but Now I like it very much..!! Even I dont understand anything - I love it..!!:wub2:

2. 82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - hmm.. since I listening it -the melody is good... lovely... but some time after - I even dont remember the melody..:blink:

3. Blame It On The Weather - I dont know.. really....!!! Maybe thats not my favorite song type, but maybe I just dont like it...:blink:(Sorry Mika:aah:)

Same here :wink2:

To sum up my impressions just for time being:

Elle me dit: I didn't like it so much at first, even though I fancy sweet french pop and nothing bothers me with the language. When I heard it in the Mika live performance it started to grow in me, but really nothing's spectacular.:teehee:

Karen: This is my favourite one so far. I'm very sorry lyrics have not been written in english, I mean the song has great potential and it's typical Mika song, mellodicaly pretty demanding and he sings it amazingly.

But after a couple of times the tune stucked in my head. Especially chorus.:wub2:

BIOTW: Something's deeply wrong with this song for many reasons. The main of them: it sounds very old fashioned to me and I can't identify myself with this duet experiment. :dunno:

Archived