“It is fun. It’s f***ing fun!”

Milda

I thought it was Martin´s FB page, is it not? Now I´m confused :blink:

Well maybe it is. I thought it's kind of a "fan page" and I didn't know if he updates it personally. There is a page for Jimmy too, not controlled by him, with hundreds of "likes". And the word "rebranding" is quite strong and I was wondering who wrote it.

You know, if Martin says Mika is rebranding it tells something, if it comes from a random person it tells nothing.

No,it's not his page,it says: "this page is not monitored by Martin" :wink2: : http://www.facebook.com/MartinWaughAppreciation

FB is dangerous, it´s so easy to get wrong. Yes " rebranding " was the term which made me goose skin and not in a good way.

:naughty: that's why i refuse to follow so many "mika" pages... gets confusing and the info is repeated all the time. i stick to MIKA & MFC :naughty:

my brain can't take anymore :aah:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Martin wrote on his FB that he left the band as part of Mika´s rebranding for the launch of the third album. I´m not sure that I got the exactly meaning of these words but I think he said Mika´s image will change very much, right?

I'm feeling excited! I'm hoping the new vibe will mean a load of new fans and great sales of the third album.

I also hope he, at last, gains the respect that he is due, which has been lacking in the UK, in certain quarters.

I think we'll still recognise Mika, but it will be an exciting new sound.

edit: I've just noticed that Martin didn't say Mika was re-branding himself.

I just deleted my edit part because it was so random and I sounded so negative with Jessie J. I thought it's only about my taste (because I don't like her style) but I guess I wasn't alone with my thoughts.

Well I don't think it's negative to just give an honest opinion. :wink2:

For me it's not that I don't like her style really. I mean Domino is a very catchy pop song, especially the chorus. She was writing for other artists before she broke out as a performer so she's a good songwriter.

But she is also a very good vocalist with a fairly unique voice yet the first time I heard her last two songs I couldn't figure out who it was. It is the same with Kelly Clarkson. All female pop singers now seem to sound exactly like Katy Perry (who has also strayed from her original quirky sound).

Individually they are not bad, but when all of them sound exactly the same it just seems very mediocre and when they each have their own unique talents and voices it doesn't make any sense that they are produced to be carbon copies of one another. Just because something works once doesn't mean it needs to be reproduced ad infinitum. :aah: Their original sounds were also working which is how they became popular in the first place so I don't understand this need to squeeze everyone into the same mould after they've had some success. I thought those moulds were for people who didn't have much talent or direction and needed it to break into the top 40.

You mean the new music is so different he just had to change the band/ the combination of musicians to sound right?

Yes that's what I meant although I am just speculating and don't know of course.

FB is dangerous, it´s so easy to get wrong. Yes " rebranding " was the term which made me goose skin and not in a good way.

Oh I was wondering how you were reading Martin's FB updates! :shocked::naughty:

I'm feeling excited! I'm hoping the new vibe will mean a load of new fans and great sales of the third album.

Me too. I feel like he's reaching for the brass ring again instead of doing what's easy and expected. Can't wait to see what happens.

Well I don't think it's negative to just give an honest opinion. :wink2:

For me it's not that I don't like her style really. I mean Domino is a very catchy pop song, especially the chorus. She was writing for other artists before she broke out as a performer so she's a good songwriter.

But she is also a very good vocalist with a fairly unique voice yet the first time I heard her last two songs I couldn't figure out who it was. It is the same with Kelly Clarkson. All female pop singers now seem to sound exactly like Katy Perry (who has also strayed from her original quirky sound).

Individually they are not bad, but when all of them sound exactly the same it just seems very mediocre and when they each have their own unique talents and voices it doesn't make any sense that they are produced to be carbon copies of one another. Just because something works once doesn't mean it needs to be reproduced ad infinitum. :aah: Their original sounds were also working which is how they became popular in the first place so I don't understand this need to squeeze everyone into the same mould after they've had some success. I thought those moulds were for people who didn't have much talent or direction and needed it to break into the top 40.

No I meant it was negative because I really didn't give her any possibility, I decided very quickly I don't like her... :naughty:

I don't like many female singers in general, and that's one thing I'm worried about. I actually learnt to like iMMa and Ida, and I'm afraid it will take time to learn to like new female voices.

No I meant it was negative because I really didn't give her any possibility, I decided very quickly I don't like her... :naughty:

I don't like many female singers in general, and that's one thing I'm worried about. I actually learnt to like iMMa and Ida, and I'm afraid it will take time to learn to like new female voices.

Oh I see. There are so few really good male vocalists in popular music I have always favoured women. That's one of the reasons I never worry about Mika sounding like everyone else. All the other male artists are doing R&B it seems and he's never going to sound like that.

I'd like to hear some of this organic electronic music (mainly because Mika's new songs never sound like how he describes them) :naughty:

Yes, in that genre I am thinking of Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis but he could be thinking of something totally different.. :teehee:

I see your point.
So do I yours, actually, and it is an interesting topic. To me, neither Billy Brown nor Toy Boy are 'gay songs'. They are just couplets characterized by wit and satire - probably not appealing more to a gay audience than any other of his songs.

If his image and / or his music changes he is likely to draw in other audiences and I'm curious to see if that happens. :teehee:

Sarah McLachlan is also a great vocalist/songwriter and often sings melancholic and what could almost be classed as Celtic folk music but she was featured in one of the greatest dance tracks of the late 90s.

Silence?

That's 'organic' meets electronic, too, in terms of the vocals. I like it

Of course that's just my own bias about what I think is great electronic music and I'm not sure if Mika would ever stray that far away from pop to club music. What he's doing could end up sounding like Jessie J's Domino I suppose.

:aah: Noooo :roftl:

I actually have trust in the people he works with. I'm so glad at least we know the names.

As much as I like it I don't think Elle Me Dit hit the mark at all and I guess I would be a bit disappointed if the whole album sounded like that. But he said that the production of EMD was rushed and he's spent a lot of time and worked with a lot of people to make this album so I'm expecting something of a different calibre.

I would be totally disappointed with an album full of songs similar to EMD - both in terms of the lyrics and the music. First, it is high time he grew up and stopped talking about himself as a child and secondly, be a bit more creative and innovative with the sound on electro/pop tracks. This one sounds like a computer game. There is definitely some effort in there already that I really like as it is so pink and sweet it hurts (some funny electronic bits that remind me some of Klas Ahlund's work) but all in all, it sounds like some title track to a children's show.

I used to like Jessie J. I saw her in the same club where I first saw Mika singing acoustically and she was just as good IMO. But now she sounds like a manufactured pop star which is unfortunate. .

I can't believe she agreed to record an album like that with the vocal and performing talent she has. On the other hand, maybe she saw that as her only chance. Or isn't that about the money money money.. (ella ella ella :roftl:)

But now we know. It's electronic and he's tried to use organic sounds. He did it with Rain and Owen Pallett's violin so we can at least imagine how this can be achieved and "organic electronic music" is not the oxymoron it may sound like. .

Yes, I think he tried that with Rain on the second album but Greg could never make it work and it ended up sounding like the Pet Shop Boys. The version of Rain he played on tour was much better, IMO, but the best one was the one he played at some festivals last year.

I have no idea what sound he is working on but to me William Orbit's and Nick Littlemore's names basically guarantee a more unique approach.

Individually they are not bad, but when all of them sound exactly the same it just seems very mediocre and when they each have their own unique talents and voices it doesn't make any sense that they are produced to be carbon copies of one another. Just because something works once doesn't mean it needs to be reproduced ad infinitum. :aah: Their original sounds were also working which is how they became popular in the first place so I don't understand this need to squeeze everyone into the same mould after they've had some success. I thought those moulds were for people who didn't have much talent or direction and needed it to break into the top 40..

They probably call that 'avoiding risks' at the record label. :naughty:

It doesn't work in the long term as they are always late to catch up with trends but makes sense financially to make artists churn out the same sound that has already worked for others and sold to a large audience.

Oh I see. There are so few really good male vocalists in popular music I have always favoured women. That's one of the reasons I never worry about Mika sounding like everyone else. All the other male artists are doing R&B it seems and he's never going to sound like that.

Even I prefer male voices in general I have always seen Mika in a special category. He sounds somehow extraordinary and I really love his voice more than any other and that's why I look forward to the new music so much even he says it will be electronic (hahah, I guess I just trust he knows how to do it in his own way).

Please, someone can explain me what Mika's answer mean ?

:

Lovebox, June 17th. Your first show in the UK in ages, and it’s on my stage! What have you got in store?

It’s either gonna be really up or completely, like, just stopping in it’s tracks for two minutes and then back in again. Full of contrast. I’m actually really looking forward to it

I don't understand it :/

Yes, in that genre I am thinking of Jean-Michel Jarre and Vangelis but he could be thinking of something totally different.. :teehee:

So do I yours, actually, and it is an interesting topic. To me, neither Billy Brown nor Toy Boy are 'gay songs'. They are just couplets characterized by wit and satire - probably not appealing more to a gay audience than any other of his songs.

If his image and / or his music changes he is likely to draw in other audiences and I'm curious to see if that happens. :teehee:

I'd just like him to gain more respect as a serious musician. Sometimes certain DJs have made fun of him, or just not played his music. An example of total disrespect for Mika, I remember, on the panel show Never Mind The Buzzcocks and (I think it was) Rufus Hound who made fun of Mika and said he was tied to a chair in the basement, listening to the radio, rocking back and fourth saying "why don't you like me." Rufus taunted that Mika is allowed some food, but is not allowed to make music anymore.

They would say it was a joke, but it's not a joke to me. I'd say it's an insult! Olly Murs was also on the panel, laughing his ass off, needless to say, I went right off him from that moment on!

So things like that, I want to see an end of for Mika. I'd love him to become a national treasure, a music icon, and be widely respected at last.

Please, someone can explain me what Mika's answer mean ?

:

Lovebox, June 17th. Your first show in the UK in ages, and it’s on my stage! What have you got in store?

It’s either gonna be really up or completely, like, just stopping in it’s tracks for two minutes and then back in again. Full of contrast. I’m actually really looking forward to it

I don't understand it :/

I am not sure what he's saying here. It would be nice if he spoke English more clearly sometimes. :teehee: I think he may be talking about high energy ("up"). Maybe he'll do something slower for a bit a couple of times in the set but then get back to something high energy very quickly. That's my best guess anyway. :roftl:

I am not sure what he's saying here. It would be nice if he spoke English more clearly sometimes. :teehee: I think he may be talking about high energy ("up"). Maybe he'll do something slower for a bit a couple of times in the set but then get back to something high energy very quickly. That's my best guess anyway. :roftl:

:roftl:

Thank you for your explain ! :D :D

I'd just like him to gain more respect as a serious musician.

For that he'd need a full "re-branding" (:mf_rosetinted:).

In a way, I understand what an easy target he is to be laughed at because of his non-conventional voice, songs, clothing and presenting himself in general. Not everyone can relate to that - one needs to have a different type of sensitivity to get that.

What baffles me is how few people acknowledge him as a songwriter in the industry (and I obviously don't mean "the Olly Murs" but but musicians). I hope it will all change with the new album.

What baffles me is how few people acknowledge him as a songwriter in the industry (and I obviously don't mean "the Olly Murs" but musicians). I hope it will all change with the new album.

From a critical point of view I have to say that Mika writes wonderful melodies, but his lyrics leave a bit to be desired. For every line that is poetic and meaningful, there is one that seems to have been put in just because it rhymes.

I remember being so impressed with Grace Kelly because he had used the word "loathsome" in a pop song. I think he should be making better use of his vocabulary :naughty:

For that he'd need a full "re-branding" (:mf_rosetinted:).

In a way, I understand what an easy target he is to be laughed at because of his non-conventional voice, songs, clothing and presenting himself in general. Not everyone can relate to that - one needs to have a different type of sensitivity to get that.

What baffles me is how few people acknowledge him as a songwriter in the industry (and I obviously don't mean "the Olly Murs" but but musicians). I hope it will all change with the new album.

Yes, and he does need to alter certain things at this stage. Like some have already said, he needs to stop writing like he's a teenager, because everyone knows he's a grown man. But this is why I love Underwater, and to a bit lesser extent, BIOTW, because they are both adult love songs. I agree with some of what's been said about EMD. I do love the track, music wise, but lyrics about "grow up you're wasting your life sitting up in your bedroom". It's WAG in disguise and he's too old for this. So yes, sometimes he has been his own worst enemy in terms of gaining respect from others. But I'm hopeful there will be some incredible, mature songs on the album. I'm pleased by Uw, and BIOTW so far. One thing I do like about the new interview, is that he's talking more about his music and colabs, and not about his childhood anymore. Which is a good thing for his new image. The Madonna thing will help him to hopefully gain more status as a songwriter, because writing for her is a great thing for him.

I'd just like him to gain more respect as a serious musician. Sometimes certain DJs have made fun of him, or just not played his music. An example of total disrespect for Mika, I remember, on the panel show Never Mind The Buzzcocks and (I think it was) Rufus Hound who made fun of Mika and said he was tied to a chair in the basement, listening to the radio, rocking back and fourth saying "why don't you like me." Rufus taunted that Mika is allowed some food, but is not allowed to make music anymore.

They would say it was a joke, but it's not a joke to me. I'd say it's an insult! Olly Murs was also on the panel, laughing his ass off, needless to say, I went right off him from that moment on!

So things like that, I want to see an end of for Mika. I'd love him to become a national treasure, a music icon, and be widely respected at last.

I remember that episode!! It was Noel Fielding as far as I remember! I got so angry after seeing that! It was so rude! I had to stop watching....

I remember that episode!! It was Noel Fielding as far as I remember! I got so angry after seeing that! It was so rude! I had to stop watching....

I couldn't remember who actually said it. But I was so livid! They wouldn't get away with talking about someone like Tom Jones that way, or Robbie Williams, or anyone else really.

From a critical point of view I have to say that Mika writes wonderful melodies, but his lyrics leave a bit to be desired. For every line that is poetic and meaningful, there is one that seems to have been put in just because it rhymes.

As a general rule (to which there may be exceptions, of course) his best lyrics are from songs he collaborated on with others and to me, the most awkward ones are the lyrics he wrote himself. :teehee:

Thank you Milda for finding and posting the interview:thumb_yello:

It's a very interesting one since he talks a lot about the sound of the new album. It will be fascinating to hear a song thats been co-written with Benassi being replayed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Needless to say, cant wait to hear the album and really looking forward to Lovebox:biggrin2:

and can I just add that I love this quote "I have never been pushed into anything that I don’t want to do. I sell records and manage to fill at least a theatre or whatever around the world doing what I love." :wub2:

I just add that I love this quote "I have never been pushed into anything that I don’t want to do. I sell records and manage to fill at least a theatre or whatever around the world doing what I love." :wub2:

I think it has been clear since day one that his record company (his contract) gave him a free hand to write the songs he wants to and record them with the producers of his choice. :dunno: It basically means that anything he returns with will be the choice of his own and not something he was 'forced' to do.

and can I just add that I love this quote "I have never been pushed into anything that I don’t want to do. I sell records and manage to fill at least a theatre or whatever around the world doing what I love." :wub2:

anything he returns with will be the choice of his own and not something he was 'forced' to do.

This reminds me of what he said to someone on Twitter recently about his changes not being "reactive or copycat". I think he's probably going to be reiterating this message a lot so it's understood that his new direction is being driven by him and he's not just pandering to the latest trends.

This reminds me of what he said to someone on Twitter recently about his changes not being "reactive or copycat". I think he's probably going to be reiterating this message a lot so it's understood that his new direction is being driven by him and he's not just pandering to the latest trends.

Well now that you mention it, I can totally see this as the new "I wanted to create a comicbook version of my teenage years". :lmfao:

Seriously though, I can't wait to hear the new album and what he has to say about it. I've been trying to think about the album as little as possible because I'm such an impatient person that if I constantly kept thinking about the release date it would drive me nuts. That's why I really don't have many expectations for TOOL and whatever it's going to be like it's probably going to come to me as a surprise. And I can't wait to experience that. :fangurl:

Archived