Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Pop music is not necessarily 4/4, that is my point. And it is a fact, not an opinion.

I have to add an argument here

[YOUTUBE]lY5i4-rWh44[/YOUTUBE]

that isn't even his :aah:

I was thinking that too, but can't be so sure about it since you can change the voice unrecognizably in studio, so...

I knew that there'll be people who will moan about the new song - the same happened last year with the release of Elle Me Dit ;)

Like someone else said: I don't like all of Mika's songs; as far as I'm concerned, the world could go without Over My Shoulder :aah: but there are people who will disagree strongly about this statement, and it's perfectly legitimate, everyone is entitled to their own taste :wink2:

personaly, I love Make You Happy, I think it's a good song (and this comes from a person that really dislikes electronic music!) and his voice is beautiful;

frankly, I'd be rather disappointed if he continued with the whole Lollipop style of LICM :dunno: Don't get me wrong, it's a good, funny and very bold album, but it wouldn't be very good for him to stay forever teenage boy in his music :dunno: the boy has grown and so did his music. :thumb_yello:

[YOUTUBE]lY5i4-rWh44[/YOUTUBE]

I was thinking that too, but can't be so sure about it since you can change the voice unrecognizably in studio, so...

my favorite Beatles song :huglove:

I agree, you can change the voice, but i still don't think that's him... :dunno:

I knew that there'll be people who will moan about the new song - the same happened last year with the release of Elle Me Dit ;)

Like someone else said: I don't like all of Mika's songs; as far as I'm concerned, the world could go without Over My Shoulder :aah: but there are people who will disagree strongly about this statement, and it's perfectly legitimate, everyone is entitled to their own taste :wink2:

personaly, I love Make You Happy, I think it's a good song (and this comes from a person that really dislikes electronic music!) and his voice is beautiful;

frankly, I'd be rather disappointed if he continued with the whole Lollipop style of LICM :dunno: Don't get me wrong, it's a good, funny and very bold album, but it wouldn't be very good for him to stay forever teenage boy in his music :dunno:the boy has grown and so did his music. :thumb_yello:

Over My Shoulder is a good song! :fish::tongue2::boxing:

:pinkbow::huglove:

the boy has grown and so did his music:thumb_yello:

Over My Shoulder is a good song! :fish::tongue2::boxing:

:pinkbow::huglove:

:aah: love OMS :wub2:

and not everything he does I like, dislike of Blame It On Weather and Lover Boy :mf_rosetinted:

and yessss the boy has grown and so did his music :mikalove:

Now THAT hits the nail on the head. And that's why it's so sad. Sorry, but I've listened to this a lot now and I still say it is a total waste of what is a unique talent. Whereas I am not about to suddenly desert an artist I've liked since Day One just because of one song, I am also not the type of person who will blindly like (or convince myself to like) whatever an artist does just because it's them. I'll reserve my overall judgement until TOOL is out, and I hope there's some real musicianship on the album because quite honestly I feel someone who is classically trained and SO damn talented should not be stooping to this level.

I always said, even before TBWKTM came out, that Mika going all electronic and unleashing an army of Autotune and synthesizers would be it for me. I felt exactly as you do - that him going that route would be such a blatant waste of his talent and training that I couldn't possibly enjoy such a thing.

But...I love this song. You have to look at it not as Mika relying on all these electronic enhancements as a "waste" of his talent, but rather as him simply stretching his creative boundaries to try something different. Whether the end result of said creative stretching works for you or not is entirely subjective, of course.

After hearing this song, though, it's abundantly clear to me that this isn't a case of him using these effects to cover up for shortcomings in his talent (like, ahem, so many other artists these days). It's all done for creative reasons, and I'm really happy with the end result.

It reminds me of bands like Postal Service and Fun. that are very electro-heavy, but in a way that works. Or the song

" by Hellogoodbye, which may be one of my favourite songs of all time (despite my constant whining that I don't like electronic-y music. Go figure).

What I like about this song is that it still sounds like "Mika" to me - even slightly, uh, augmented, his voice is still unmistakable and still draws me in. And yet it feels like absolutely the right progression. This song sounds like Mika in 2012, not Mika in 2007, which is what he needs. Music critic types would say he's "staying relevant", especially considering the current musical landscape these days.

Well done, Mika. :wub2:

I agree, you can change the voice, but i still don't think that's him... :dunno:

My first thought was it's a female voice. :dunno:

:lmfao: You see,that's why I hate synthesized voice,you don't even know who's singing :aah: I prefer Mika's voice throughout the whole song :wink2:

Since when electro music is more mature than pop music? I don't know if it's better for him now to be compared by media with Daft Punk than Freddie Mercury :dunno: But this is only my opinion,of course :teehee:

Now THAT hits the nail on the head. And that's why it's so sad.

yes, that's where the main difference is between us in terms of how we perceive what happened. I think some of us were actually expecting a marked change. Obviously not knowing exactly what it would be but from the names he was working with and some clues he was saying you could guess.

I do understand some of the voice distortion can be odd for some people. I am not a fan of it by default, either, but it does open new ways for artists to innovate in sound and even rhythm a bit and even help convey the message of the song. For example, when George Michael covered True Faith last year he used voice distortion /autotune to underline the text that was about substance abuse..etc. Well, that was not be everyone's cup of tea, either but as an experiment and new form of expression I think it is totally acceptable. Should Mika sing with girls in bikinison an autotuned voice sounding like a chipmonk I'd be rather upset but I still don't see this attempt to be commercially driven.

Like you and many others I also expect the album to contain many different types of songs and genres. I wonder how Overrated will sound, for example.

This song has so many layers. He is playing with rhythm and even that "Make you happy" part is not flat as someone before said. It's not a single and it shouldn't be, cause it's not a song that is catchy at a first hearing, but it's beautiful. I hope that songs like this will bring some more and different audience to him. I'm too tired now to write more, but I love it and I think Mika is on the right track with this change. Even my hardcore - jazz - loving - musician hubby says it's a good song, and he is very picky about music, believe me. It was my victory when he said it. I was like "HA! Told ya!":naughty:

I had similar thoughts about it: this song is not a 'single' as it does not have an easy-to-remember, catchy chorus. To me, that is part of the appeal, actually. After a while you get bored with the verse verse chorus verse bridge chorus type of songs. In this one, the changing metre keeps it exciting throughout.

I also think a new audience is anticipated for this and that's also what I have been waiting for. Mika has a great sense of many musical genres and applies clever solutions yet lacks support from critics, the press and musicians. To be honest, I think most of them can't be snobbish enough to deny the cleverness of this song. :teehee: Well, at least that's what I hope, and also that it gets noticed.

:aah: love OMS :wub2:

and not everything he does I like, dislike of Blame It On Weather and Lover Boy :mf_rosetinted:

and yessss the boy has grown and so did his music :mikalove:

Lover Boy is one of my favorites.:aah: Love that piano at the beginning and trumpets. It has it's own story. Dislike My interpretation and I know someone who said it's his best song. :naughty:

haha, yes, thank you. This one is 3/4 or 6/8. BEsides that, the Beatles has some songs with changes in the metre, like Strawberry Fields Forever - that's my favourite, together with Eleanor Rigby . I love odd songs.:teehee:

I always said, even before TBWKTM came out, that Mika going all electronic and unleashing an army of Autotune and synthesizers would be it for me. I felt exactly as you do - that him going that route would be such a blatant waste of his talent and training that I couldn't possibly enjoy such a thing.

But...I love this song. You have to look at it not as Mika relying on all these electronic enhancements as a "waste" of his talent, but rather as him simply stretching his creative boundaries to try something different. Whether the end result of said creative stretching works for you or not is entirely subjective, of course.

After hearing this song, though, it's abundantly clear to me that this isn't a case of him using these effects to cover up for shortcomings in his talent (like, ahem, so many other artists these days). It's all done for creative reasons, and I'm really happy with the end result.

It reminds me of bands like Postal Service and Fun. that are very electro-heavy, but in a way that works. Or the song

" by Hellogoodbye, which may be one of my favourite songs of all time (despite my constant whining that I don't like electronic-y music. Go figure).

What I like about this song is that it still sounds like "Mika" to me - even slightly, uh, augmented, his voice is still unmistakable and still draws me in. And yet it feels like absolutely the right progression. This song sounds like Mika in 2012, not Mika in 2007, which is what he needs. Music critic types would say he's "staying relevant", especially considering the current musical landscape these days.

Well done, Mika. :wub2:

:thumb_yello:

:lmfao: You see,that's why I hate synthesized voice,you don't even know who's singing :aah: I prefer Mika's voice throughout the whole song :wink2:

Since when electro music is more mature than pop music? I don't know if it's better for him now to be compared by media with Daft Punk than Freddie Mercury :dunno: But this is only my opinion,of course :teehee:

It's not about the music genre, but about the approach to the music that differs. I hope he won't be compared to anyone this time.

I forgot ... good choice Beatles's song I love it :wub2:

Which one is it?

The link does not work from my iPod! So a discussion about mika's new song has turned into sharing our 3/4 time pop songs...

Came home and played it today in the background, not watching the video, and I liked it a lot better.

I really expected you would love this song! Funny how we all have different reactions to each new song. You just never know. :naughty:

Which one is it?

The link does not work from my iPod! So a discussion about mika's new song has turned into sharing our 3/4 time pop songs...

It's Norwegian Wood.

And that's MFC for you. Some people like his new song. Some people don't like his new song. No matter how many times we discuss it, the song will stay exactly as it is now. So we move on to Beatles waltzes. :naughty:

My favourite ensemble rearranges songs in a theme (last week it was the Sgt. Pepper's album). The one I liked the best was waltzes. I expected it to be classical music and some of it was, but there were also many contemporary pop songs.

I really expected you would love this song! Funny how we all have different reactions to each new song. You just never know. :naughty:.

I think the robotic thing floored me and I had to sleep on it, I'm good now. :naughty:

I think the robotic thing floored me and I had to sleep on it, I'm good now. :naughty:

Yes my ears and brain were very confused at first but somehow I knew I was going to like it and it all came together after the second or third listen. :naughty:

While everyone is disputing the Mika-ness of the song, and whether he's going in a new direction..

I'm just gonna say, I have 3 favourite bits from the song.

3) "But I feel like screaming when you're near me" - To me, this speaks to the feeling of how someone can just make you so happy, screaming is the only way to get that feeling out. I feel like it might be being used differently in the context of the whole song, but just taking the line as is, that's what I feel.

2)"Fix a heart don't break it,

Can't you see the love around you?

You know, you're crazy not to take it." - Personal experience with this one

1) "Show me what your hiding,

But if this is love then watch me die on you." - To me I feel this means that basically you're trying to solve the puzzle that is this person, and if solve the puzzle and see that it's love you'd die of presumably happiness.

And just the whole idea of all you want to do is make this other person happy.. I love that thought :wub2: It's so like me. Also, I just have like a hug personal connection to this song because where it's so like me, I feel like I've.. done this before (if that makes sense). Like all my favourite parts I have experienced, specifically with one person.

But there's my two cents. I don't know if that made any sense at all, but I just wanted to share :thumb_yello:

While everyone is disputing the Mika-ness of the song, and whether he's going in a new direction..

I'm just gonna say, I have 3 favourite bits from the song.

3) "But I feel like screaming when you're near me" - To me, this speaks to the feeling of how someone can just make you so happy, screaming is the only way to get that feeling out. I feel like it might be being used differently in the context of the whole song, but just taking the line as is, that's what I feel.

2)"Fix a heart don't break it,

Can't you see the love around you?

You know, you're crazy not to take it." - Personal experience with this one

1) "Show me what your hiding,

But if this is love then watch me die on you." - To me I feel this means that basically you're trying to solve the puzzle that is this person, and if solve the puzzle and see that it's love you'd die of presumably happiness.

And just the whole idea of all you want to do is make this other person happy.. I love that thought :wub2: It's so like me. Also, I just have like a hug personal connection to this song because where it's so like me, I feel like I've.. done this before (if that makes sense). Like all my favourite parts I have experienced, specifically with one person.

But there's my two cents. I don't know if that made any sense at all, but I just wanted to share :thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello: I can totally relate with you on this one. I have the EXACT same feelings for the EXACT same parts, so thank you!! I never could have put it into words.:huglove: