Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Fabulous song, even if it's REALLY different from everything he's ever done. I especially love his voice on the "cry on you" bit and that moment when the guy licks the girl on the video. So sweet! :wub2:

Could someone please update the first post with the latest lyrics version people could write down? Thanks a lot in advance!

I love this part, but my part is totally "If I said I'm upbeat, I'd be lying" at the beginning, love it.

WAHHHHHHH! Omg, new song. Listened to it like 5 times already.

It's so different from what we're used to.. But I like it :wub2: I guess it grew on me quickly because after taking a listen to the lyrics (and reading them on here), it's definitely a song and feeling that I REALLY connect to. I am going to listen to this OVER AND OVER until this CD comes out :thumb_yello:

The song is soooo great, cant stop listening:wub2:

About the robot voice: maybe it is a dialoque between Mika and a robot, and that electronic voice is necessary? A robot, making him happy? It would make sense... for the lyrics... A story about Mika and a robot ? :))))) I love it :huglove:

:mikalove:

cant stop listening to this song, its so catchy xD at first i was thrown but now i dont want to stop...

we wants it! we needs needs it, my precioussssss *strokes MYH and hisses at all who try to take it away* the precious makes us happy, yes precious

:mikalove:

cant stop listening to this song, its so catchy xD at first i was thrown but now i dont want to stop...

we wants it! we needs needs it, my precioussssss *strokes MYH and hisses at all who try to take it away* the precious makes us happy, yes precious

Oh my God. :lmfao: Posts like this are what make being addicted to the Internet worth while. :lmfao:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertina

I hope more old fans will be back to liking him

now he really needs to get rid of the old stuff in his gigs!

No! His old songs are so much better than this! I've listened to it about 10 times, tried to like it, but I can't. Literally the first mika song i dont like.This is not mika! At this rate his fan base will completely change hands. This can't be happening. Mika was fine just the way he was.:aah::aah::aah:

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertina

I hope more old fans will be back to liking him

now he really needs to get rid of the old stuff in his gigs!

No! His old songs are so much better than this! I've listened to it about 10 times, tried to like it, but I can't. Literally the first mika song i dont like.This is not mika! At this rate his fan base will completely change hands. This can't be happening. Mika was fine just the way he was.:aah::aah::aah:

oh no...don't get me wrong!

I absolutely LOVE his old songs, but now it's time to go on, and he needs to make up a new live show with new music.

Quote:

Let's hope this is only a song for promoting him on the radio,and the rest of the album will be much more like Mika....

Let's hope this is only a song for promoting him on the radio,and the rest of the album will be much more like Mika....

I hope so! Anyway for me it's a little bit strange choice...but if "the boss" said so. He's always right:aah:

I can't believe I"m so tired but still up as I wanted to figure out how the song worked and I had to listen to it 4-5 times more :aah:

That's because "all I wanna do is make you happy" is actually 4/4 (cut in a funny way though that makes it uneven within the bar) but the drum base is in 3/4 so when the drum starts these come on top of each other you hear the stressed beat at different parts of the 3/4 meter: first on the first beat then on the second and then on the third.

The verse starts with some irregular rhythm but the 3/4 returns when the drum beat returns, keeping the funny accents / stresses on different parts of the beat as the "All i wanna do is make you happy" is repeated again on top.

Then there is the 'What're you gonna do, I am not over you" part, which is 4/4 2/4 and 3/4 3/4., breaking the structure. Following that 3/4 returns and the song finishes with the original "all I wanna do is make you happy" bit alone, and again the meter changes.

Pretty sure it's not in 3/4 having listened to it after this post. Pop music is very rarely in 3/4. The only 2 songs (not classical) that I can think of are piano man (billy Joel) and over my shoulder. There is a completely different beat on these and you can easily go oom-cha-cha (or similar) and make it fit the pulse. Make you happy has a syncopated beat to it most of the time though.

no one is tied here by a blood oath!

If you don't like his choices and music, you can give him up! :naughty:

I agree. I´ve been upset sometimes reading some sad tweets or posts here, like... people who never post here, come to post how annoyed they are with Mika´s new direction... Was it me the only one reading his tweets?? He said he was going to be electronic, he said he was going to be different... so... what now? :blink:

I also know this is a forum and all of us are allowed to say what we think, but no, Mika wasn´t the best singer in the world when he launched GK, and no, Mika is not the worst singer in the world now. He is a good singer, a great songwriter and a very weird guy who likes to do things like making all his band dress like clowns, while he is in a suit wearing Louboutins. That is Mika, so I think that this song is exactly the sample he wanted to show us. It´s not that the album is all going to be like this song, OH, COME ON!!! OF COURSE NOT!!! It´s as if many of us are pretending we forgot he had Relax and Over My Shoulder in the same album!!! And then, in TBWKTM we have IN THE SAME ALBUM songs like Rain, WAG, PUOTF and Toy Boy...

This song doesn´t mean he is going to record 12 electronic songs for TOOL......but if so.... it´s his choice, and as far as Im concerned, I´m gonna buy the album and Im going to go to his gigs untill I really hate him. I don´t like EVERY song of his albums. In fact there are songs I have deleted from my mp3 selection. More than 5, tbh. But still, then I go to gigs, and he performs a couple of those songs AND I F*CKING SING ALONG WITH HIM!!!! Cause Mika it´s not a voice in a cd, it´s a singer who performs his songs as no one, and a performer who connects with the crowd ALWAYS.

It´s not that bad to dislike a song, but don´t forget it´s just A SONG. I dont think we need to cry our eyes out saying that Mika lost us forever and things like that :fisch:

In my case, if he decided to release Blue Eyes or HMDYLM as a single, Id be annoyed cause I don´t like any of those, but I wouldn´t hate him. He is not a song, he is LOTS OF THINGS.

And you, you guys who are here, are here because of the artist and not because of a song. Give him the chance to release the album :huglove:

This song marks the start of a new beginning. Mika has been re-branded and this song is to send the message a new Mika returns to the stage / on the airwaves.

Considering the song itself: it is completely Mika: young, free, complex, intelligent and unique.

This song marks the start of a new beginning. Mika has been re-branded and this song is to send the message a new Mika returns to the stage / on the airwaves.

Considering the song itself: it is completely Mika: young, free, complex, intelligent and unique.

oh well...I have to quote you entirely!

oh well...I have to quote you entirely!

Allow me to quote both of you.

"Electro"-music usually reminds us of Pet Shop Boys or Lights by Scissor Sisters, or many others....

But MYH is Mika, no doubts. His uniqueness is that he`s able to stay himself through any style.

Allow me to quote both of you.

"Electro"-music usually reminds us of Pet Shop Boys or Lights by Scissor Sisters, or many others....

But MYH is Mika, no doubts. His uniqueness is that he`s able to stay himself through any style.

and IMO the film is great part of it, to make the song work in Mikastyle.

The song itself might be too electro for some, but by watching the video you can have whole Mikaworld again.

Pretty sure it's not in 3/4 having listened to it after this post. Pop music is very rarely in 3/4. The only 2 songs (not classical) that I can think of are piano man (billy Joel) and over my shoulder. There is a completely different beat on these and you can easily go oom-cha-cha (or similar) and make it fit the pulse. Make you happy has a syncopated beat to it most of the time though.

you contradict yourself as oom pah pah is actually waltz and in 3/4 ..:teehee:

I did not say the whole song is in 3/4, it is the drum base that is in it. There are changes in the meter throughout the song and the 'all I wanna do is make you happy' layer is not in 3/4, so that gives the strage 'off beat' or however you'd call it.

Concerning 3/4, there are lots pop popular music songs in it, although you may not have heard them all. The two examples I can think of is Kiss from a Rose by Seal or Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway , but there are many others.

This song breaks with conventions in the time signature, there is no need to try to apply conventional rules to it as it is unconventional :wink2: