Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

My favourite bit is when he sings Never ever ever that is the Mika voice and passion that still makes me :swoon:

And I really like the chaotic Scissor sister bit at the end Never gonna give you up.... I can just hear the crowd doing that bit live....:thumb_yello:

I totally love this song. I was dreading his new stuff tbh. I hated biotw, underwater and karen. Really not my cup of tea at all. I was ready to leave my Mika phase and run off with Foster the People. I'm so glad he has moved on, matured and is less gimmicky. I'm looking forward to the new stuff. :blush-anim-cl:

After listening to the new song I had some remarks : first of all I love the lyrics, about the music well hmmmm, not quite convinced. More mainstream I think, not so popping out like his other music; On the other hand I think about David Bowie : He used to take on multiple personalities (remember Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Ziggy Stardust, Tin Machine, ...) and moved on during his career following all sort of music genres. No one can deny he's a genius. So let's all give Mika a break :thumb_yello:. His lyrics are sublime, his music is refreshing and he is re-inventing himself every album. I will give him the benifit of the doubt. I still love the man! :wub2:

i love the song, it's the not the best Mika song i've heard, but it's really grown on me !!! and the video is brilliant. I always appreciate his efforts !!! :)

also i find it sweet hearing Mika's voice singing love songs, one of the reasons i'm really looking forward to the new album !!! :)

All right so after a few listens, here is my opinion.

I don't like the song. I wish I did, but I don't. I'm disappointed by the *lack of* melody and I don't know, maybe it's my laptop speakers, but Mika's voice just disappears behind this electronic music that I don't like... The "chorus" (all I wanna do is make you happy) does my head in to be honest... Where's the colour? I mean, when I listen to his other songs, I see colours in my head. This one's grey. Doesn't make me happy :bored:

I REALLY hope the whole album is not like that.

Isn't summer between June-August, or when do you have summer in England? :blink:

But yeah you're probably right, I think the tweet: "After summer, I hope" is the most accurate one, unfortunately. :huh:

The first day of summer is the 21st of June :wink2:

I agree. I´ve been upset sometimes reading some sad tweets or posts here, like... people who never post here, come to post how annoyed they are with Mika´s new direction... Was it me the only one reading his tweets?? He said he was going to be electronic, he said he was going to be different... so... what now? :blink:

I also know this is a forum and all of us are allowed to say what we think, but no, Mika wasn´t the best singer in the world when he launched GK, and no, Mika is not the worst singer in the world now. He is a good singer, a great songwriter and a very weird guy who likes to do things like making all his band dress like clowns, while he is in a suit wearing Louboutins. That is Mika, so I think that this song is exactly the sample he wanted to show us. It´s not that the album is all going to be like this song, OH, COME ON!!! OF COURSE NOT!!! It´s as if many of us are pretending we forgot he had Relax and Over My Shoulder in the same album!!! And then, in TBWKTM we have IN THE SAME ALBUM songs like Rain, WAG, PUOTF and Toy Boy...

This song doesn´t mean he is going to record 12 electronic songs for TOOL......but if so.... it´s his choice, and as far as Im concerned, I´m gonna buy the album and Im going to go to his gigs untill I really hate him. I don´t like EVERY song of his albums. In fact there are songs I have deleted from my mp3 selection. More than 5, tbh. But still, then I go to gigs, and he performs a couple of those songs AND I F*CKING SING ALONG WITH HIM!!!! Cause Mika it´s not a voice in a cd, it´s a singer who performs his songs as no one, and a performer who connects with the crowd ALWAYS.

It´s not that bad to dislike a song, but don´t forget it´s just A SONG. I dont think we need to cry our eyes out saying that Mika lost us forever and things like that :fisch:

In my case, if he decided to release Blue Eyes or HMDYLM as a single, Id be annoyed cause I don´t like any of those, but I wouldn´t hate him. He is not a song, he is LOTS OF THINGS.

And you, you guys who are here, are here because of the artist and not because of a song. Give him the chance to release the album :huglove:

:thumb_yello:

This song marks the start of a new beginning. Mika has been re-branded and this song is to send the message a new Mika returns to the stage / on the airwaves.

Considering the song itself: it is completely Mika: young, free, complex, intelligent and unique.

:thumb_yello:

Seriously? :blink:

I never knew that, why does the summer start in the middle of June and not in the beginning?

Haven't you heard of summer solstice?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_solstice

Do you mean the whole album will be filled by robotic voices? Even Underwater and Karen? I don't think so,but who knows.....:dunno: I'll wait and see.
for someone who has such immense vocal talent, not to mention his piano-playing and ear for a wonderful melody, this change to me is a total waste of that unique talent, and a change borne far more out commercial/financial consideration than artistic integrity.

I may have listened to a different song but besides 2 lines distorted (one of them basically running throughout the song) it is Mika’s real voice and one of the best recorded vocal performances I have ever heard from him. I find it really strange as that was the first thing I noticed. :dunno:

I’m not so sure if he is a brilliant piano player but he does play the piano in a rather original way when he spends enough time to memorize the chords. :teehee:

As far as his artistic integrity is concerned, this song sounds way less commercial to me than WAG was, for example, and I personally think this song is more ‘state of the art’ than anything Mika has performed, designed or worn (:rolls_eyes:) over the last couple of years, so I think he is totally on the right track.

PS: Funny how we think the opposite about many things but it is interesting to read something from a different perspective.

All right so after a few listens, here is my opinion.

I don't like the song. I wish I did, but I don't. I'm disappointed by the *lack of* melody and I don't know, maybe it's my laptop speakers, but Mika's voice just disappears behind this electronic music that I don't like... The "chorus" (all I wanna do is make you happy) does my head in to be honest... Where's the colour? I mean, when I listen to his other songs, I see colours in my head. This one's grey. Doesn't make me happy :bored:

I REALLY hope the whole album is not like that.

+1

You said what I've been thinking all the time!

I really like the lyrics, but when I listen to it I think the all "All I wanna do is make you happy" destroys everything. It's hard to describe but it makes me restless (in a bad way) almost frustrated 'cause it sounds suppressed. In my opinion it would have sound better if the line wasn't sung as monotone as it is, it would have been much better if you could hear some expressions in the voice. Been convinced that the person means what it sings, or at least a stress on make.

Seriously whenever "All I wanna do is make you happy" is sung I want to destroy something...:blink:

Haven't you heard of summer solstice?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_solstice

Ofc I have, it's one of the most important holidays of the year in Sweden. You dance around the maypole and everything... but I never knew that the day was the start of the summer in England since it isn't in Sweden.

So when is it the end of summer...?

Ofc I have, it's one of the most important holidays of the year in Sweden. You dance around the maypole and everything... but I never knew that the day was the start of the summer in England since it isn't in Sweden.

I thought it was all over europe...:wink2::doh:

This year it's September the 22th...but it varies from year to year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox

Don't get me wrong, of course it's up to him what he does, and if I personally don't like it, well he won't be losing too much sleep... I know he needed to move on, and all artists change, but for someone who has such immense vocal talent, not to mention his piano-playing and ear for a wonderful melody, this change to me is a total waste of that unique talent, and a change borne far more out commercial/financial consideration than artistic integrity.

I think that encapsulates how I feel about this song too :sad:

I agree with you both! The song doesn't make me happy! Too much of the robotic voice, I mean why does he has to do that when his original voice is so extremely beautiful?:blink:

In august when the schools starts again.:wink2:

Hej där, kul att möta en annan svensk här!:bye:

And btw why don't we have a Swedish flag???:sneaky2:

@Christine sorry, MFC doesn´t want me to quote you... but like you say, 12 songs sounding the same.... :puking: no need to mention if it were "12 songs sounding like EMD".... :hair: But we know it won´t be like that. In fact, we have Underwater....

So I need to thank you for your text, it put me back in reality and reminded me of why I like Mika in the first place! :huglove:

Oh, wow, so glad it helped you!!

Mika has been re-branded

Now THAT hits the nail on the head. And that's why it's so sad. Sorry, but I've listened to this a lot now and I still say it is a total waste of what is a unique talent. Whereas I am not about to suddenly desert an artist I've liked since Day One just because of one song, I am also not the type of person who will blindly like (or convince myself to like) whatever an artist does just because it's them. I'll reserve my overall judgement until TOOL is out, and I hope there's some real musicianship on the album because quite honestly I feel someone who is classically trained and SO damn talented should not be stooping to this level.

Now THAT hits the nail on the head. And that's why it's so sad. Sorry, but I've listened to this a lot now and I still say it is a total waste of what is a unique talent. Whereas I am not about to suddenly desert an artist I've liked since Day One just because of one song, I am also not the type of person who will blindly like (or convince myself to like) whatever an artist does just because it's them. I'll reserve my overall judgement until TOOL is out, and I hope there's some real musicianship on the album because quite honestly I feel someone who is classically trained and SO damn talented should not be stooping to this level.

I´m pretty sure he is the first one interested in doing things right...

I agree with you. I really don't see the art in that song. But then again, who am I to say that right?

Sound of His voice struck me with the third listening . A wonderful clean sound. I hope it was processed of computers only to a minimum. My ears have ignored the robot voice with the fourth listening. I have not listened to this song more. I want to delay the time to slowly, day after day listening to every sound. I'm starting to hear it and to love. With the third time. Is it a lot?

My first impression was deceptive. I was confused.

Still, I like to take His songs from the first sound. Without autosuggestion.

Edited by Lena

I thought it was all over europe...:wink2::doh:

This year it's September the 22th...but it varies from year to year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox

Okay :wink2:

No, or at least this was the first time I heard of it, I've always thought summer was between 1 June and 1 September. But you learn something new every day. :thumb_yello:

In august when the schools starts again.:wink2:

Hej där, kul att möta en annan svensk här!:bye:

And btw why don't we have a Swedish flag???:sneaky2:

Hej!:bye:

Ja det händer inte så ofta, tyvärr. Eller så är det jag som inte tittar så noga kanske...

I've thought of that too! There defiantly should be one, I mean Denmark, Finland and Norway have one!

you contradict yourself as oom pah pah is actually waltz and in 3/4 ..:teehee:

Don't want a massive argument here or anything but this was exactly my point! In waltz or 3/4 time you can do this. With MOST pop music you can't , because it's in 4/4 time.

Edited by Ellenowl

I agree. I´ve been upset sometimes reading some sad tweets or posts here, like... people who never post here, come to post how annoyed they are with Mika´s new direction... Was it me the only one reading his tweets?? He said he was going to be electronic, he said he was going to be different... so... what now? :blink:

I also know this is a forum and all of us are allowed to say what we think, but no, Mika wasn´t the best singer in the world when he launched GK, and no, Mika is not the worst singer in the world now. He is a good singer, a great songwriter and a very weird guy who likes to do things like making all his band dress like clowns, while he is in a suit wearing Louboutins. That is Mika, so I think that this song is exactly the sample he wanted to show us. It´s not that the album is all going to be like this song, OH, COME ON!!! OF COURSE NOT!!! It´s as if many of us are pretending we forgot he had Relax and Over My Shoulder in the same album!!! And then, in TBWKTM we have IN THE SAME ALBUM songs like Rain, WAG, PUOTF and Toy Boy...

This song doesn´t mean he is going to record 12 electronic songs for TOOL......but if so.... it´s his choice, and as far as Im concerned, I´m gonna buy the album and Im going to go to his gigs untill I really hate him. I don´t like EVERY song of his albums. In fact there are songs I have deleted from my mp3 selection. More than 5, tbh. But still, then I go to gigs, and he performs a couple of those songs AND I F*CKING SING ALONG WITH HIM!!!! Cause Mika it´s not a voice in a cd, it´s a singer who performs his songs as no one, and a performer who connects with the crowd ALWAYS.

It´s not that bad to dislike a song, but don´t forget it´s just A SONG. I dont think we need to cry our eyes out saying that Mika lost us forever and things like that :fisch:

In my case, if he decided to release Blue Eyes or HMDYLM as a single, Id be annoyed cause I don´t like any of those, but I wouldn´t hate him. He is not a song, he is LOTS OF THINGS.

And you, you guys who are here, are here because of the artist and not because of a song. Give him the chance to release the album :huglove:

I agree, basically I think that too :thumb_yello:

He sang this song so beautifully, it's one of the most wonderfully performed songs I've heard. I don't understand ones who can only hear "the robotic" voice.:blink:

Exactly :wink2: I'm IN LOVE with MAKE YOU HAPPY :wub2: KUDOS MIKA :mikalove:

In my case I still haven´t seen him performing it :mf_rosetinted:

I'm curious how he will present this song, is the way it is, I believe he will do something interesting :biggrin2:

Don't want a massive argument here or anything but this was exactly my point! In waltz or 3/4 time you can do this. With most pop music you can't , because it's in 4/4 time.

Pop music is not necessarily 4/4, that is my point. And it is a fact, not an opinion.

In my case I still haven´t seen him performing it :mf_rosetinted:

Do you want to say when you see him you'll believe it. :mf_rosetinted:

I agree with you. I really don't see the art in that song. But then again, who am I to say that right?

This song has so many layers. He is playing with rhythm and even that "Make you happy" part is not flat as someone before said. It's not a single and it shouldn't be, cause it's not a song that is catchy at a first hearing, but it's beautiful. I hope that songs like this will bring some more and different audience to him. I'm too tired now to write more, but I love it and I think Mika is on the right track with this change. Even my hardcore - jazz - loving - musician hubby says it's a good song, and he is very picky about music, believe me. It was my victory when he said it. I was like "HA! Told ya!":naughty: