Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Anyone else think it would make a great closing track for the album? It just has that sound, for me. Especially if the album version was a little longer, with an extended coda.

If it does turn out to be the final track, remember where you read it first :mikacool: (if not, ignore all the above :blink::aah:)

Anyone else think it would make a great closing track for the album? It just has that sound, for me. Especially if the album version was a little longer, with an extended coda.

If it does turn out to be the final track, remember where you read it first :mikacool: (if not, ignore all the above :blink::aah:)

I agree! It does have that 'feel'.:thumb_yello:

I really like this song... I can't stop listening for hours...

All lyrics remind me on something I have now with one of my friends... :blush-anim-cl:

and I sent him Make You Happy to listen... cos he likes Mika too, maybe this song help him to say his feelings :teehee:

Just needed to share :wink2:

I expected something like the last two albums but this is totally different! I really like it! :thumb_yello:

Actually, for some reason it sounds like Mika's all grown up... Dunno if it seems that way to anyone else, but that's kinda how I see it.

I expected something like the last two albums but this is totally different! I really like it! :thumb_yello:

Actually, for some reason it sounds like Mika's all grown up... Dunno if it seems that way to anyone else, but that's kinda how I see it.

It does to me too!

day 3 of the new mika song... it's back in my head, though i haven't listened to it yesterday! :shocked: it started this morning with the line "never gonna give you up", suddenly the melody was there again though i couldn't remember any of it yesterday. and starting from that, i now remember the whole song and it's stuck in my head. so it seems that it's one of those songs that you don't remember actively, but it creeps somewhere through the back of your mind and suddenly it's there and you have no idea where it came from (usually, if it's a song you heard on the radio... of course *I* know where it comes from. :naughty:). not bad if a song does that, i'd say. :biggrin2: ... so maybe i have to revise my opinion that it wouldn't make a good single.

I love how people are slowly but certainly falling in love with this song even if they thought it's awful! It's good, it has to be like that with good songs. :thumb_yello:

hey, i never thought it was awful! :sneaky2::naughty: but you're right, suddenly today i'm euphoric about the new song, which i wasn't until now. :teehee:

another thought: i agree with what someone wrote on here (can't be bothered to search for the post now), that mika doesn't use the electronic stuff to hide a lack of talent, but just uses it as one of many possibilities. i love this thought, it makes me accept the robot voice. :naughty: and going on from that, i want to add a thought that i've just posted on the german forum, as an answer to someone who accused mika of being "too mainstream" with the new song: it's true somehow, but it isn't a bad thing. grace kelly also was mainstream at the time when it came out. it was the time of scissor sisters et al., and GK sounded like this music, just better. and i think this is what will happen this time around too. if i imagine to hear MYH at a club, i will love it so much more than most of the other songs that are usually played at clubs - and not just because it's mika. i love that it's mainstream enough to be possibly played at clubs, and i love that it's mika enough to be better than all that electro sh*t you usually hear on the radio and at clubs. :biggrin2:

It does to me too!

Oooh good, I was hoping I wasn't the only one!

another thought: i agree with what someone wrote on here (can't be bothered to search for the post now), that mika doesn't use the electronic stuff to hide a lack of talent, but just uses it as one of many possibilities. i love this thought, it makes me accept the robot voice. :naughty: and going on from that, i want to add a thought that i've just posted on the german forum, as an answer to someone who accused mika of being "too mainstream" with the new song: it's true somehow, but it isn't a bad thing. grace kelly also was mainstream at the time when it came out. it was the time of scissor sisters et al., and GK sounded like this music, just better. and i think this is what will happen this time around too. if i imagine to hear MYH at a club, i will love it so much more than most of the other songs that are usually played at clubs - and not just because it's mika. i love that it's mainstream enough to be possibly played at clubs, and i love that it's mika enough to be better than all that electro sh*t you usually hear on the radio and at clubs. :biggrin2:

Now you mention it, it is a little mainstream (and I agree that it's not a bad thing).

Although it would be good to hear this while I'm out at the pub, I think it's a bit slow to be played (however if someone remixed it and made it faster then maybe)...

hey, i never thought it was awful! :sneaky2::naughty: but you're right, suddenly today i'm euphoric about the new song, which i wasn't until now. :teehee:

I wasn't talking about you, but in general. If you go back couple of pages you can see how the wind is slowly changing to Mika's side. That's what I was talking about. Your post was just the last one and the one that actually made me think about it.:thumb_yello:

GK was mainstream and the reason I haven't been interested in Mika as much as he deserves. :blush-anim-cl: It's a wonderful song and one of my favorites, loved it in 2007. too, but I admit I thought it's a one hit and that's it. :blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl: I was very busy back then and listening to "mainstream" music very superficially, not thinking much, just enjoying very instinctively. And again :blush-anim-cl:

i've just posted on the german forum, as an answer to someone who accused mika of being "too mainstream" with the new song: it's true somehow, but it isn't a bad thing. grace kelly also was mainstream at the time when it came out.

Yes you know I'm finding a lot of the negative critiquing of this song sounds like rationalizations for "I don't like it because it's not my taste in music". There is nothing wrong with not liking it but that doesn't mean that there is no melody, that he's selling out or that he's not utilizing his talent to the fullest. This song is as melodious as most of what was on TBWKTM and certainly moreso than EMD, which is basically just rap. Having electronic beats and adding distorted vocals doesn't strip it of the melody. I'm sure he'd have no trouble performing this song with just a piano, unlike EMD.

Mika may be classically trained but he is a pop musician, not Mozart. This song is no more frivolous than Lollipop and with the falsetto the vocals are more interesting than dull songs like Erase and Blame it on the Weather.

Grace Kelly shot to #1 instantly. Mika can talk a good game about making his own music and not compromising, but let's face it, the goal of a pop musician is to make it to #1. He didn't make a demo of GK in his basement and send it to radio stations. He collaborated with Jodi Marr to perfect it and spent months with an American producer to make a #1 record.

Just because this doesn't sound like Grace Kelly does not mean that he necessarily has some different motivation for what he's creating. If he's making music that he doesn't like just to get in the charts that's one thing, but there is no indication that's the case. He likes electronic music and always has. I don't think he needs to continue making music that is no longer relevant instead of music he likes just to prove that he's not a trend follower. :doh:

I guess I never believed Mika's "I'm such an original genius I can't be categorized" schtick so I have no problem with him switching to electronic music. I think he is an extraordinary singer but, like everyone else who started their career after the 80s, he's never made music that is truly truly original. I'm sorry but it's all been done before. I think the best talent you can have in the current age is to have a great ear and great taste and be able to borrow from the best and rearrange it to sound like something special.

But ultimately even the best results are simply a matter of taste. Some people are going to like it and some aren't. The same way some people liked LICM and some people thought it was a piece of sh*t.

Lover Boy is one of my favorites.:aah: Love that piano at the beginning and trumpets.

Funny how I absolutely hated Loverboy as a demo as I found it unoriginal but the arrangement on TBWKTM totally changed my opinion and it became one of my favourite tracks. That's why it matters how he approaches a song.

So a discussion about mika's new song has turned into sharing our 3/4 time pop songs...

no, since Norwegian Wood is 6/ 8 and Strawberry Fields Forever is 4/4 2/4 3/4(miixed). I think that playing with the rhythm and how it is organised into bars can play a huge part in a song standing out from the rest. We did not even talk about some really strange ones, like Pink Floyd's Money.

I wish I knew more 'electronic' songs to figure if this Mika track is outstanding enough in terms of the arrangement. Perhaps I'll listen to some Royskopp later... :teehee:

Great idea.:thumb_yello:

PS. now your post reminds me of our conversation on the coda to GGG... (:roftl:)

day 3 of the new mika song... it's back in my head, though i haven't listened to it yesterday!

Same with me, except that it happened to me after a day. So perhaps it could be a single after all.. perhaps the 3rd or 4th (I hope there'll be as many singles as there were to LICM)

I really like the beats (don't know how to call it...) start on 1:07 :teehee:

I called it 'idiotic electronic bits' when EMD came out but maybe someone has a better word for it :roftl: Robyn has similar sounds in several of her songs, I think.

Make You Happy now can have another name "I`ll be back":naughty:

Strange.... but it really came back to my mind 2 days after...(not only my as I see). I woke up with its lines in my head and can`t stop singing so far...

There`s something about it.

Strange.... but it really came back to my mind 2 days after...(not only my as I see). I woke up with its lines in my head and can`t stop singing so far...

I agree! I don't like it exactly, but it keeps on accidently coming back into my head, then I have to listen to it again!:sneaky2:

lol yeah me too. it comes back to me. it's in my head all the time + flashes from the video. last night when I was sleeping and dreaming- whole that time, unconscious and subconscious untill I woke up- the lines "never gonna give you up... never gonna shut you out..." grow on me :aah::aah:

I think I'm going crazy... but it's a good sign, right? :aah::teehee:

I just read back on the whole thread and it's interesting seeing people's opinions on the song and video (I don't agree of course, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion).

I thought this picture went along with the comments about MYH being a bit mainstream:

the-five-stages-of-incessant-pop-music.png

Seriously? :blink:

I never knew that, why does the summer start in the middle of June and not in the beginning?

The seasons are determined by, not the weather, but by the hours of daylight.

the summer solstice is on The 21st june. It is the longest day and signals the official start of summer. After that the days go gradually shorter, until, on September 21st there are exactly 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness. This is called The Autumn Equinox and signals the official start of Autumn. The nights continue to draw in, until, on December 21st we have the shortest day. It's called The Winter Solstice and is officially the start of Winter. After that, the days gradually get longer again, until we come to the 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night, on the Spring Equinox, on the 21st March, which is the first day of Spring.

I thought this picture went along with the comments about MYH being a bit mainstream:

the-five-stages-of-incessant-pop-music.png

:lmfao: This happens to me quite a bit and I find sometimes the most violent reaction from me will mean I end up liking a song. :naughty: There are other songs I just genuinely hate though. :no:

I do agree with Enigma though if you really don't like music, you should not try to force yourself because you have liked the artist in the past. I think that's just bizarre actually to try to force yourself to like music. I mean if you don't like Mika's music anymore then what is the point of listening to it? :blink: Just listen to something else.

:lmfao: This happens to me quite a bit and I find sometimes the most violent reaction from me will mean I end up liking a song. :naughty: There are other songs I just genuinely hate though. :no:

I do agree with Enigma though if you really don't like music, you should not try to force yourself because you have liked the artist in the past. I think that's just bizarre actually to try to force yourself to like music. I mean if you don't like Mika's music anymore then what is the point of listening to it? :blink: Just listen to something else.

The same thing happens to me as well, though not that often cause I don't really listen to the radio.

Totally agree about if you don't like a song, don't force yourself into liking it. I think sometimes you just need to be in a particular frame of mind to be able to listen to a song and (possibly) like it. And if not, it's cool. In this case, I'm sure Mika won't be terribly upset if his fans didn't like all his songs.