Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

I love "Make me happy" :wub2:

I love the vid too :wub2:

The vis is really sweet, the song is catchy and I like robotic voices ever since I heard "Believe" by Cher, and Mika's wonderful voice singing "All I want to do is make you happy" never fails to make me truly happy :woot_jump:

And it should be a single in my opinion. It's good that all songs are different in an album. The only problem is that I would like to hear all of them now :naughty:

I have to say that, after a few days of listens and watching the video, I'm really liking this song. It's very catchy, and I like the 'robotic' voice, especially the repetition towards the end. I know that these things are not about comparing different songs, but I think it's much better than Elle Me Dit.

If he's going into this electronic type thing I would like it as well if he'd go a bit more 'hard core' and do something slightly heavier in that sense, if you know what I mean, cause I think that Make You Happy is only a little bit in that vein, and I'd actually like him to jump in the water rather than just dip his toes, if this is the direction that he's going in with certain songs. I don't know if I'm making any sense but I know what I'm trying to say :wink2:.

Anyway, I would really like for him to not do this with all the new songs though,and keep some slower ones where one can appreciate his vocal talent properly, especially when he does them live.

The one criticism I have though is of the chorus lyrics, because since I've been listening to this, the Britney Spears "born to make you happy" song has been creeping up in my brain, and I REALLY don't appreciate that :aah::lmfao: so yeah, please, Mika sort it out :doh:

I think I know what you mean about wanting him to go that little bit more hardcore with the electronic sound. I like Make You Happy, but it feels as if he's holding back a bit, to me. I almost want to get my hands on it and remix the song a bit, turn up the volume so to speak, to give certain parts a bit more oomph and conviction.

As for the live rendition of this song (and maybe any others he may have in the same vein), I don't think we need worry. I think he will find a way to deliver the songs live that does them justice, and showcases his voice, and shows that there are solid tunes behind the studio whistles and bells. He's been generally good at that kind of thing in the past after all.

I think I know what you mean about wanting him to go that little bit more hardcore with the electronic sound. I like Make You Happy, but it feels as if he's holding back a bit, to me. I almost want to get my hands on it and remix the song a bit, turn up the volume so to speak, to give certain parts a bit more oomph and conviction.

As for the live rendition of this song (and maybe any others he may have in the same vein), I don't think we need worry. I think he will find a way to deliver the songs live that does them justice, and showcases his voice, and shows that there are solid tunes behind the studio whistles and bells. He's been generally good at that kind of thing in the past after all.

Yeah,exactly!!! It may have to do with the fact that I've been listening to a lot of music in that style lately, and loving it, but I wish he'd let loose and just totally go with it. I'd love it if he'd go for a bit of a trancey vibe too...

Re the live,I guess you're right. I've gone to a couple of Example gigs lately and he managed to mix the sounds very well, so you could still get his main vocals perfectly live and 'strong', yet the songs had enough oomph behind them.

I

The boy knows what he's doing. I don't think his sound will be totally electronic, or totally anything. You know what this reminds me of. Has anyone ever seen the old movie about Glen Miller? He was a bandleader in the 1930s and 40s. His plane was lost over the English channel during the war... but anyway... In the movie of his life, he's looking for a certain sound. He can't find it, then (I think) the trumpet player cuts his lip and can't play. Glen decides to use the clarinet instead, then he conducts the music you see his face light up. IT's THE SOUND.

Well I think Mika is like that. He's been after a certain sound, and by the fact that he's so pleased with how the album has turned out, and so happy to share this song, I think he's found it!

That's my two cents anyway.

Well, if the website and the new photos are something to go by, I can safely say that I'm liking the new look A LOT.

He's finally going for the fresh, clean, dare I say 'normal' look that I have wished he did for a while, so me likey :wink2:

I hope he keeps it for shows too, and NEVER goes back to those naff 'gig costumes' that he was so fond of, figure skater gear included :aah:

Well, if the website and the new photos are something to go by, I can safely say that I'm liking the new look A LOT.

He's finally going for the fresh, clean, dare I say 'normal' look that I have wished he did for a while, so me likey :wink2:

It's funny it's so cliché to say it's fresh and clean but he looks like he just stepped out of the shower and smells all nice in all these pics. :teehee:

I hope he keeps it for shows too, and NEVER goes back to those naff 'gig costumes' that he was so fond of, figure skater gear included :aah:

Indeed!

Here's the short notice on Make you Happy at the Serbian website Popcorner:

http://popkutak.tk/index.php/9-muzika/11-mikahappy

Mika has released a video for "Make You Happy" - one of the songs that will be on the new album, "The Origin of Love".

I will start with the fact that I love when musicians are not satisfied with some kind of stagnation and are willing to try something new with their music. "Make You Happy" sounds more like something from Owl City opus than Mika’s but still it does not seem forced.

Song (and video as well) celebrate love and everything that follows that “annoying” package. Although it seems as if the song is a little more oriented to the fans of a good music, I'm sure it has potential for a commercial success. "Make You Happy", together with the previous single "Elle Dit Me," gives the impression that "The Origin of Love" will be a very good album that we await for.

Rate 8/10

Sounds promising :thumb_yello:

OMG some of these reviewers are so clueless they take ideas from some of the comments under the videos. I remember Owl City was mentioned on the site of one of the gay magazinies that first published the video. This band is one of the very few current electro pop bands in the US - the most obvious reference Americans can think of.

Glad at least the reviewer added a good score and did not start complaining about the misrepresentation of gay couples in the video :teehee:

OMG some of these reviewers are so clueless they take ideas from some of the comments under the videos. I remember Owl City was mentioned on the site of one of the gay magazinies that first published the video. This band is one of the very few current electro pop bands in the US - the most obvious reference Americans can think of.

Glad at least the reviewer added a good score and did not start complaining about the misrepresentation of gay couples in the video :teehee:

Indeed, I've thought the same thing.

Even though gay scenes take just a second or two, they are still visible:aah:

Indeed, I've thought the same thing.

It is reassuring to see many critics like MYH - that's a nice change from some previous releases. Do you like it, btw? I don't remember reading your opinion on the new songs yet.

It is reassuring to see many critics like MYH - that's a nice change from some previous releases. Do you like it, btw? I don't remember reading your opinion on the new songs yet.

Yes, I like them both, a bit more "Make you happy".

I wrote something about that the first day I heard them about having mixed feeling. Mika has really jumped me with the change of his musical concept.

But I find it very useful both for him and for us, his fans.

And not only in a pragmatic but also in an artistic way.

Even though I've exprected move in some other direction I can't say that he

disappointed me.

@Shine I think we have similar opinion then. I also prefer MYH. Celebrate I don't even like that much, but mainly because of the 'rap' part sounding odd and my expectations being higher. I actually wanted him to sound a bit more progressive. Make You Happy fulfills my expectations but not sure about the rest of the songs now. I have a feeling I will love Underwater as I don't think he can spoil that one. :naughty:

@Shine I think we have similar opinion then. I also prefer MYH. Celebrate I don't even like that much, but mainly because of the 'rap' part sounding odd and my expectations being higher. I actually wanted him to sound a bit more progressive. Make You Happy fulfills my expectations but not sure about the rest of the songs now. I have a feeling I will love Underwater as I don't think he can spoil that one. :naughty:

For what I´ve been reading, it seems to me that older fans (not in age, just being fans from a lot of time) like more MYH. Still, Celebrate is the one they chose to be a single... and Mika leaked MYH.... I´ve been thinking that maybe Mika himself realised this could happen... Make You Happy sounds more "Mika-ish" (IMO) and that´s the reason why he leaked that one (again IMO) since Celebrate is maybe better for the mainstream, but not "good enough" for hardcore? (FML, I can´t find the words today....)

You know what I mean?

I came to the conclusion, over the first few days, that Celebrate was written with the masses in mind.

Of the two, I prefer MYH. It's a gorgeous haunting song. But Celebrate took a while to grow on me. But I had a kind of epiphany about it, mainly when I saw the vids from Lovebox. MYH, as I expected, was beautiful and I loved his attention to detail with the instrument he talked through for, what my son calls, "The Dalek bit".

But then I saw celebrate and realised how perfect it is for the concerts. It gets everyone going, and singing "It'll be OK." I realized then that the two songs are doing two different jobs.

MYH is the new Mika sound. Still Mika, still recognisable, but more grown up and gorgeous.

But Celebrate is a bridge between the two. With his bits you can sing along to and shout out. But a step or two away from the teenage anthems of old.

I think Celebrate is also here to appeal to ppl who haven't discovered Mika yet, or who thought he was too much about Lollipops and Big Girls and Teenagers. But would like this new song very much.

So I love them both, in different ways.

I came to the conclusion, over the first few days, that Celebrate was written with the masses in mind.

Of the two, I prefer MYH. It's a gorgeous haunting song. But Celebrate took a while to grow on me. But I had a kind of epiphany about it, mainly when I saw the vids from Lovebox. MYH, as I expected, was beautiful and I loved his attention to detail with the instrument he talked through for, what my son calls, "The Dalek bit".

But then I saw celebrate and realised how perfect it is for the concerts. It gets everyone going, and singing "It'll be OK." I realized then that the two songs are doing two different jobs.

MYH is the new Mika sound. Still Mika, still recognisable, but more grown up and gorgeous.

But Celebrate is a bridge between the two. With his bits you can sing along to and shout out. But a step or two away from the teenage anthems of old.

I think Celebrate is also here to appeal to ppl who haven't discovered Mika yet, or who thought he was too much about Lollipops and Big Girls and Teenagers. But would like this new song very much.

So I love them both, in different ways.

That was exactly what I thought and wasn´t able to say :aah:

Celebrate is maybe better for the mainstream, but not "good enough" for hardcore?

A lot of fans love Celebrate – it is more about the type of music fans got into Mika’s music with. Those who started to follow him with the release of the second album are probably more likely to prefer Celebrate. To me, even WAG was a shock but unlike many others that time, I didn’t leave as I knew he could do better. I even have déjà vu about this release, actually.

I think Celebrate is also here to appeal to ppl who haven't discovered Mika yet, or who thought he was too much about Lollipops and Big Girls and Teenagers.

I think it is MYH that could function like that, that’s why they ‘leaked it’ – to raise the attention of people who think Mika is a ‘lightweight’ musician. I am afraid the release of Celebrate right after that was pretty contra-productive though, as it really sounds like some easy-listen boy-band song from two decades ago. Even his voice is distorted in a way that sounds ‘sugary’ at parts, particularly at the beginning.

As I want to believe Mika, I’d say it was produced and chosen as a single with that in mind. They may have tried to make it sound ‘current’ but it does not, actually. All they achieved that it sounds really simple and uncharacteristic. :dunno: And it's not even that I don't like simple songs but as a comeback single it falls short of expectations and I personally don’t think it will work unless the media start playing it because of the Olympics. And I really wish him luck with it - that is a chance he should not miss.

I don't know, I don't get an "emotional connection" to this song. Which is kind of strange because I like this style of songs and listen to them regularly. For example I like the first album of frYars, whose style you can hear clearly in MYH I think, very much.

I don't know, maybe that's the problem? I would say there are a lot of other songs in this style I like much more and for me it doesn't feel that much progressive? :dunno:

But I don't think that's the real reason why MYH doesn't "work" for me. Maybe it's the distorted voice I have a problem with? Definitely it isn't "rememberable" for me somehow. If someone wanted me to describe the song aside "All I wanna do is make you happe" and the "Never gonna give you up..."-part, I just couldn't do it (and I have listened to MYH a lot…)

The only part I really like is the "Never gonna give you up..."-part :)

Edited by DerMoment1608

I don't know, I don't get an "emotional connection" to this song. Which is kind of strange because I like this style of songs and listen to them regularly. For example I like the first album of frYars, whose style you can hear clearly in MYH I think, very much.

I don't know, maybe that's the problem? I would say there are a lot of other songs in this style I like much more and for me it doesn't feel that much progressive? :dunno:

But I don't think that's the real reason why MYH doesn't "work" for me. Maybe it's the distorted voice I have a problem with? Definitely it isn't "rememberable" for me somehow. If someone wanted me to describe the song aside "All I wanna do is make you happe" and the "Never gonna get you up..."-part, I just couldn't do it (and I have listened to MYH a lot…)

The only part I really like is the "Never gonna get you up..."-part :)

It sounds a lot more Mikaish live :huglove::thumb_yello:

If I didn't know Mika and I heard Celebrate, it wouldn't "grab me." That worries me as a single. And I'm still shocked that this is a Pharrell project, because I don't "feel" Pharrell in the music, other than the fun part, which seems silly and the gap in music seemed awkward live for this part.

I had to play these songs over and over to like them and that scares me, because I adore Mika, I'm biased to like it 110% and then I struggled. So what will the casual listener think?