Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

you contradict yourself as oom pah pah is actually waltz and in 3/4 ..:teehee:

I did not say the whole song is in 3/4, it is the drum base that is in it. There are changes in the meter throughout the song and the 'all I wanna do is make you happy' layer is not in 3/4, so that gives the strage 'off beat' or however you'd call it.

Concerning 3/4, there are lots pop popular music songs in it, although you may not have heard them all. The two examples I can think of is Kiss from a Rose by Seal or Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway , but there are many others.

This song breaks with conventions in the time signature, there is no need to try to apply conventional rules to it as it is unconventional :wink2:

surprise! surprise! :teehee:

So i went back and read the whole thread...

Some general 3:30am thoughts...

-earlier today, before i was aware of the new song, i was listening to old Kraftwerk. In comparison this song is not so robotic at all xD this song is actually much more in the style of what i was into before i found Mika so i :wub2: it

-its interesting his tweet said this isnt the FIRST single, makes me wonder if it'll be single 2 or 3. Maybe it'll depend on fan reactions and thats why it "leaked" earlier

-i cant wait to hear what he does with this live. i can imagine it a few different ways, probably none of which are how it will be :aah:

I was a bit worried about the concept of TOOL being an album of 12 love songs - I was scared it'd be really sappy and depressing but if the rest of it is anything like this I can't wait to hear it. I'm still shocked that it's so different from what we're used to but I love it, I think the lyrics are very sweet. :wub2:

EDIT: I also think Dee will be pleasantly surprised to see her cat on the YouTube clip. :naughty:

I too was worried it'd be sappy love songs which i kinda hate usually, but this song is twisted love which i'm all for!

:aah: i was listening for the first time and had my eyes closed because he's too damn distracting and i opened them at 2:50 and was all "WTF WHY IS LEELOO IN MIKA'S VIDEO?" :teehee: then i remembered its not official. i dont know who the person who made the vid is, they mustve got the pic from my tumblr xD i hope they know it is photoshopped

wow! what a day!

woke up only thinking about my exam - checked twitter to find it had imploded with this news..thanks a bunch!!:aah::aah:

i hated the electronic voice on first hear..but now it's grown on me..and from the very FIRST listen it was stuck in my head - distractingly so!:naughty:

so a definite big like! whether it grows to love we'll see...

20 seconds in and the video froze for me but i was already singing 'all i wanna do is make you happy' xD

I agree. I´ve been upset sometimes reading some sad tweets or posts here, like... people who never post here, come to post how annoyed they are with Mika´s new direction... Was it me the only one reading his tweets?? He said he was going to be electronic, he said he was going to be different... so... what now? :blink:

I also know this is a forum and all of us are allowed to say what we think, but no Mika wasn´t the best singer in the world when he launched GK, and no, Mika is not the worst singer in the world now. He is a good singer, a great songwriter and a very weird guy who likes to do things like making all his band dress like clowns, while he is in a suit wearing Louboutins. That is Mika, so I think that this song is exactly the sample he wanted to show us. It´s not that the album is all going to be like this song, OH, COME ON!!! OF COURSE NOT!!! It´s as if many of us are pretending we forgot he had Relax and Over My Shoulder in the same album!!! And then, in TBWKTM we have IN THE SAME ALBUM songs like Rain, WAG, PUOTF and Toy Boy...

This song doesn´t mean he is going to record 12 electronic songs for TOOL......but if so.... it´s his choice, and as far as Im concerned, I´m gonna buy the album and Im going to go to his gigs untill I really hate him. I don´t like EVERY song of his albums. In fact there are songs I have deleted from my mp3 selection. More than 5, tbh. But still, then I go to gigs, and he performs a couple of those songs AND I F*CKING SING ALONG WITH HIM!!!! Cause Mika it´s not a voice in a cd, it´s a singer who performs his songs as no one, and a performer who connects with the crowd ALWAYS.

It´s not that bad to dislike a song, but don´t forget it´s just A SONG. I dont think we need to cry our eyes out saying that Mika lost us forever and things like that

In my case, if he decided to release Blue Eyes or HMDYLM as a single, Id be annoyed cause I don´t like any of those, but I wouldn´t hate him. He is not a song, he is LOTS OF THINGS.

And you, you guys who are here, are here because of the artist and not because of a song. Give him the chance to release the album :huglove:

i especially agree with the bold bits :thumb_yello: its not as if he didnt warn us it would be different. And i'm glad it is different, i'd hate if the album seemed like a stagnation, or worse, a back sliding.

Edited by kreacher

This song marks the start of a new beginning. Mika has been re-branded and this song is to send the message a new Mika returns to the stage / on the airwaves.

Considering the song itself: it is completely Mika: young, free, complex, intelligent and unique.

Do you mean the whole album will be filled by robotic voices? Even Underwater and Karen? I don't think so,but who knows.....:dunno: I'll wait and see.

Hi

Good news that new song :dance_man:

But I need to listen to it, I eard it only once and that was not like love at first sight :huh: , I was expecting something more "dancing".

My first thought was that it was like "plane" or air music...

Edit : I've listened to the song another time and I feel more like singing and dancing on it ! I am even singing in my head " I'll never gonna make you cry"... which sounds good !

/COLOR]

Edited by Sweetieval

I liked the song from the first listening, it worked really well for me. I'm not a huge fan of electronic music, but I was expecting it so it was not a surprise. I was still a bit shocked to hear the song, because I really couldn't recognize him in the song at first.

I mean it's his voice and I really enjoy it, but the vibe is really different... It's somehow much more positive, and I think it's the message he wants to send. There's more balance and happiness instead of confusion and angst. He sounds a bit more adult and I see it only as a good thing, I really felt I can't handle teenage issues any more, lol!

As Suzie said the song is intelligent and unique (that's Mika), and I'm sure the whole album will be like that, with different kind of songs. I hope there will be a bit more "edge" (not sure how to say it in English) in some songs too, it will make it even more Mika (at least for me). I'm really looking forward to Underwater, I want to trust he has kept it beautiful :wub2:

i thought yesterday that the song would stick easily in your head, but although i've listened to it about 10 times yesterday, i can't remember it anymore today. :blink: i think it won't become my fave mika song and i hope he has better songs for the singles... also because the video is nice, but not really special, imo. but i'll definitely enjoy hearing myh on the album and won't skip it like i always do with "by the time". :teehee:

though you never know... some songs i only love since seeing them live, e.g. love today. :naughty:

it definitely made me even more curious about the album, and i guess that was the purpose behind this "leak". :naughty:

funny thing is, after hearing this song, it's hard for me to imagine him playing his old songs at the gigs, next to this. maybe rain, but not songs like lollipop or we are golden. :aah:

no one is tied here by a blood oath!

If you don't like his choices and music, you can give him up! :naughty:

Are you sure?I'm not ready to abandon Mika. I'm drowning always at the first sound of a new song. But this is the first song I listened without enthusiasm. Three times. I want to wait for a week to hear it with fresh ears.

I left it for dessert. To listen in a calm atmosphere in a good mood.

But so pity, I read the lyrics and did translation. I can not jump into the ecstasy from these words of the song, if Mika has devoted these words of love to any particular person.

i thought yesterday that the song would stick easily in your head, but although i've listened to it about 10 times yesterday, i can't remember it anymore today. :blink: i think it won't become my fave mika song and i hope he has better songs for the singles... also because the video is nice, but not really special, imo. but i'll definitely enjoy hearing myh on the album and won't skip it like i always do with "by the time". :teehee:

though you never know... some songs i only love since seeing them live, e.g. love today. :naughty:

it definitely made me even more curious about the album, and i guess that was the purpose behind this "leak". :naughty:

funny thing is, after hearing this song, it's hard for me to imagine him playing his old songs at the gigs, next to this. maybe rain, but not songs like lollipop or we are golden. :aah:

About the bold parts: I feel the same :blink: If I'd listen to it now, I wouldn't remember it in an hour :dunno: In fact I have tried a few times to recall it but it doesn't work.

Anyway, this song, not my cup of tea. And contrary to a lot of people apparently, I don't get a happy vibe from the song at all. I'll wait and see what else is on the album. :original:

The video on its own is beautiful though and does fit with the song imo.

I agree. I´ve been upset sometimes reading some sad tweets or posts here, like... people who never post here, come to post how annoyed they are with Mika´s new direction... Was it me the only one reading his tweets?? He said he was going to be electronic, he said he was going to be different... so... what now? :blink:

I also know this is a forum and all of us are allowed to say what we think, but no, Mika wasn´t the best singer in the world when he launched GK, and no, Mika is not the worst singer in the world now. He is a good singer, a great songwriter and a very weird guy who likes to do things like making all his band dress like clowns, while he is in a suit wearing Louboutins. That is Mika, so I think that this song is exactly the sample he wanted to show us. It´s not that the album is all going to be like this song, OH, COME ON!!! OF COURSE NOT!!! It´s as if many of us are pretending we forgot he had Relax and Over My Shoulder in the same album!!! And then, in TBWKTM we have IN THE SAME ALBUM songs like Rain, WAG, PUOTF and Toy Boy...

This song doesn´t mean he is going to record 12 electronic songs for TOOL......but if so.... it´s his choice, and as far as Im concerned, I´m gonna buy the album and Im going to go to his gigs untill I really hate him. I don´t like EVERY song of his albums. In fact there are songs I have deleted from my mp3 selection. More than 5, tbh. But still, then I go to gigs, and he performs a couple of those songs AND I F*CKING SING ALONG WITH HIM!!!! Cause Mika it´s not a voice in a cd, it´s a singer who performs his songs as no one, and a performer who connects with the crowd ALWAYS.

It´s not that bad to dislike a song, but don´t forget it´s just A SONG. I dont think we need to cry our eyes out saying that Mika lost us forever and things like that :fisch:

In my case, if he decided to release Blue Eyes or HMDYLM as a single, Id be annoyed cause I don´t like any of those, but I wouldn´t hate him. He is not a song, he is LOTS OF THINGS.

And you, you guys who are here, are here because of the artist and not because of a song. Give him the chance to release the album :huglove:

I agree! But sometimes you forget. We have been waiting for something new for ages and when it comes and you don't like it, it can be a bit ground shaking and you're afraid that maybe you will stop liking the artist you've liked for several years, and that can be a bit frighting!

So I need to thank you for your text, it put me back in reality and reminded me of why I like Mika in the first place! :huglove:

Just wondering when will the album be released, he said before summer. It's summer now!

This song made me really curious about how much the album will distinguish itself from LICM and TBWKTM...

I think I've listen to it too many times now, and I'm still not convinced... but I know it probably would be a good radio song, and then I don't care if I like the song or not. I've been dying for a new Mika song to be played on the radio since 2007!

But it is definitely different from Mika's other songs, and yeah I think it's time Mika renew himself.

A new era Mika?

- Just bring it on, I'm ready!

-i cant wait to hear what he does with this live. i can imagine it a few different ways, probably none of which are how it will be :aah:

+1. When I think about the verses I can see him performing this as a more acoustic version live, with him playing the piano. I'm not sure what would happen with the chorus if this was the case ( :teehee: ) but I'm eager to see what he does with the song once he starts performing it.

:aah: i was listening for the first time and had my eyes closed because he's too damn distracting and i opened them at 2:50 and was all "WTF WHY IS LEELOO IN MIKA'S VIDEO?" :teehee: then i remembered its not official. i dont know who the person who made the vid is, they mustve got the pic from my tumblr xD i hope they know it is photoshopped

:roftl:

I mean it's his voice and I really enjoy it, but the vibe is really different... It's somehow much more positive, and I think it's the message he wants to send. There's more balance and happiness instead of confusion and angst. He sounds a bit more adult and I see it only as a good thing, I really felt I can't handle teenage issues any more, lol!

Agreed. As someone already said, the teenage Mika is cute and all but it's about time he grew up. :naughty: I, too, loved the song from the first listening and it almost had me thinking why he hadn't done this earlier. I guess this was the right time for him to move on and mature a bit with his music and I'm glad he did.

I love LICM and TBWKTM to bits but I really want to hear something new and different from him. What he's done so far - the falsetto, happy melodies with dark lyrics, lots of piano - is great and shows what a smart songwriter he is but taking a new direction will prove he's not a one trick pony, as a lot of people might see him. This doesn't mean he's going to take these elements out of his music - the way I see it is that he's just come up with new elements he wants to add to his music. "Oh he's that Grace Kelly guy with a high-pitched voice" is getting really old and I'm pretty sure he wants to be lot more than a one hit wonder. Even if his fans know his songs are great and appreciate them the truth is that a lot of people know him only because of GK (or Relax).

Edited by flyingkites

+1. When I think about the verses I can see him performing this as a more acoustic version live, with him playing the piano. I'm not sure what would happen with the chorus if this was the case ( :teehee: ) but I'm eager to see what he does with the song once he starts performing it.

Agreed. As someone already said, the teenage Mika is cute and all but it's about time he grew up. :naughty: I, too, loved the song from the first listening and it almost had me thinking why he hadn't done this earlier. I guess this was the right time for him to move on and mature a bit with his music and I'm glad he did.

Exactly ! BUT: the video still includes teenagers as heroes....Why ? Was it totally his idea or director`s ?

I love LICM and TBWKTM to bits but I really want to hear something new and different from him. What he's done so far - the falsetto, happy melodies with dark lyrics, lots of piano - is great and shows what a smart songwriter he is but taking a new direction will prove he's not a one trick pony, as a lot of people might see him. This doesn't mean he's going to take these elements out of his music - the way I see it is that he's just come up with new elements he wants to add to his music. "Oh he's that Grace Kelly guy with a high-pitched voice" is getting really old and I'm pretty sure he wants to be lot more than a one hit wonder. Even if his fans know his songs are great and appreciate them the truth is that a lot of people know him only because of GK (or Relax).

Agreed :thumb_yello: actually, alot of my favorite artists today have changed their style a little to gain success *cough* Coldplay *cough* As they make Indie/Rock music, they went a little electronic, still very rock but unusual style. They got a little of a new audience, kept the old one, and had a huge success with the new album and the collaboration. Doing this will defenitly proove how Mika can be a great artist as he changes a little, but he stays a successfull artist. If he keeps the same old kind of music, nothing will go forward.

I also know this is a forum and all of us are allowed to say what we think, but no, Mika wasn´t the best singer in the world when he launched GK, and no, Mika is not the worst singer in the world now. He is a good singer, a great songwriter and a very weird guy who likes to do things like making all his band dress like clowns, while he is in a suit wearing Louboutins. That is Mika, so I think that this song is exactly the sample he wanted to show us. It´s not that the album is all going to be like this song, OH, COME ON!!! OF COURSE NOT!!! It´s as if many of us are pretending we forgot he had Relax and Over My Shoulder in the same album!!! And then, in TBWKTM we have IN THE SAME ALBUM songs like Rain, WAG, PUOTF and Toy Boy...

It´s not that bad to dislike a song, but don´t forget it´s just A SONG. I dont think we need to cry our eyes out saying that Mika lost us forever and things like that :fisch:

:thumb_yello:

This song marks the start of a new beginning. Mika has been re-branded and this song is to send the message a new Mika returns to the stage / on the airwaves.

Considering the song itself: it is completely Mika: young, free, complex, intelligent and unique.

Totally agree with you:thumb_yello:

At this rate his fan base will completely change hands.

Well plenty of us are still here so I don't think it's going to change hands completely. :wink2:

Was it me the only one reading his tweets?? He said he was going to be electronic, he said he was going to be different... so... what now?

Yes and he was quite specific about it too. My own preferences for electronic music are slightly different, but Mika LIKES Robyn. He LIKES Nick Littlemore's work. He LIKES Petshop Boys, etc. etc. He has been referencing Bjork, Royksopp et al while he's been making the record. This should not have been unexpected to anyone who has been following Mika the past year.

I especially don't think it's fair to imply that he's selling out. If Mika just wanted a hit song he could churn out something like Jessie J in a heartbeat and be guaranteed a top 40 song without straying quite so far from his acoustic demos. I think he's pursuing something different here. If anything I think the samey-ness of TBWKTM was taking the safe route in terms of writing a bankable record. It was just released too late to ride the wave of LICM and pop music had already moved on.

Yes I think that's the whole intention behind putting this song and film out now.

But MYH is Mika, no doubts. His uniqueness is that he`s able to stay himself through any style.

Yes especially his vocals. I don't understand when people say they can't hear Mika in this song unless they are just speaking figuratively. His vocals are unmistakable.

I too was worried it'd be sappy love songs which i kinda hate usually, but this song is twisted love which i'm all for!

Yes me too. Such a nice contrast to the blatant embarrassing sap that was BIOTW. :naughty:

Do you mean the whole album will be filled by robotic voices? Even Underwater and Karen? I don't think so,but who knows.....:dunno: I'll wait and see.

Electronic music does not mean robotic voices. I don't think there's any need to get hung up on this one aspect of one song. I would also be disappointed if the whole album sounded like this. Not because I don't like it, but because as Rosa said we've come to expect Mika to be eclectic and I don't want to hear 12 songs that sound exactly the same. I don't want 12 songs to sound like Dr. John or 12 songs that sound like Grace Kelly or 12 songs that sound like EMD.

It's not the end of the world to dislike a Mika song. I think BIOTW is the worst song he's ever written, but I'm still here a year later because I know there will be other songs. :naughty:

i thought yesterday that the song would stick easily in your head, but although i've listened to it about 10 times yesterday, i can't remember it anymore today.

I can't remember the NAME of the song and have to keep looking it up. I think "You Made Me" is interfering. :aah:

Just wondering when will the album be released, he said before summer. It's summer now!

It's still not summer in England. He said we would "hear" it before summer, not that it would be released. Something tells me that this is all that qualifies for "hearing" new music before summer. :naughty:

Exactly ! BUT: the video still includes teenagers as heroes....Why ? Was it totally his idea or director`s ?

They look like they are supposed to be in their early 20s to me. Certainly drinking, smoking and being sexual is not the kind of teenage imagery Mika was using like a boy dancing around his bedroom or being nagged by his mother.

Have you forgot something? He has his fans for this occasion :naughty:

I still can't believe how much I'm in love with this song :fangurl: I had mixed feelings after the first listening, but now I'm not even sure why. I love everything in this song, even the robotic voice. :teehee:

It's still not summer in England. He said we would "hear" it before summer, not that it would be released. Something tells me that this is all that qualifies for "hearing" new music before summer. :naughty:

Isn't summer between June-August, or when do you have summer in England? :blink:

But yeah you're probably right, I think the tweet: "After summer, I hope" is the most accurate one, unfortunately. :huh:

Agreed!:thumb_yello:Yes,the reason I love MIKA is he is a singer who make his own music and don't care who dislike his song,he always change his music style and keep it magical.:wink2:And I really love "Make You Happy" since I listened it twice.:wub2:I believe this album will be wonderful as we expect.:mikadas:

I , personnaly , like the new Mika stuff. I find this song extremely smart. It still have a "Mika-ish" vibe though quite different with new elements. But I totally recognize the Mika I've always known through this song. Perhaps I don't like much the ending , but I'll get used to it. Oh and the video...It is just awesome !

I will quote Christine: "Electronic music does not mean robotic voices. I don't think there's any need to get hung up on this one aspect of one song. I would also be disappointed if the whole album sounded like this. Not because I don't like it, but because as Rosa said we've come to expect Mika to be eclectic and I don't want to hear 12 songs that sound exactly the same. I don't want 12 songs to sound like Dr. John or 12 songs that sound like Grace Kelly or 12 songs that sound like EMD.

It's not the end of the world to dislike a Mika song. I think BIOTW is the worst song he's ever written, but I'm still here a year later because I know there will be other songs".

We're on the same wavelength!

I've listened to the song a lot since yesterday, and I love it more and more. As far as I'm concerned this is a good direction for Mika. It's different, but it is still Mika. I know if I'd heard it on the radio, without knowing who sang it, as soon as we'd got over the first electronic bit and Mika started singing (as only Mika can) I'd have known it was him.

It may not be to everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it's really great and, I think, would be popular in the mainstream, while still being true to the unique quirkiness of our own Mika

Yes especially his vocals. I don't understand when people say they can't hear Mika in this song unless they are just speaking figuratively. His vocals are unmistakable.

When I said I couldn't hear Mika (at first) I was definitely talking figurative. The vocals are pure Mika, couldn't make a mistake with them. I was referring to the vibe (which is somehow really different). I'm still a bit shocked it can be so different, but in a good way! :naughty: I'm expect to love some other songs from the album more than this, I still think this is a good choice for the first song to hear and combining it with the short story was a brilliant idea, it gives a very good impression :wub2: