Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

I like it and love it, a very lovely surprise this morning. It's like 3 different Mikas singing...A-ok in my book. :thumb_yello:

And okay maybe it's just my strangeness but any song that has the line "Never gonna give you up" is going to have me crack a grin cause Rick Astley domintated the market with that line lol. I smiled in many ways today. . .mission accomplished.

Remember what Mika said about the song on Twitter a few weeks or months ago?

"now back in studio working on Make You Happy. its dreamy, think Royksopp meets Bjork meets Kings of Convenience and MJ"

Strange thing, but without watching video I liked it more... Just sound, lyrical pure sound. And also robot's voice doesn't seem so "ugly". I guess he'll surprise us with the new album much more.

Totally agree with you. At first I kinda liked the vid, but then I realized that without the video it sounds much deeper.

I wish I heard this song without the visuals! I feel that I would appreciate it much more

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

Don't get me wrong, of course it's up to him what he does, and if I personally don't like it, well he won't be losing too much sleep... I know he needed to move on, and all artists change, but for someone who has such immense vocal talent, not to mention his piano-playing and ear for a wonderful melody, this change to me is a total waste of that unique talent, and a change borne far more out commercial/financial consideration than artistic integrity.

I think that encapsulates how I feel about this song too :sad:

Weezy tweeted that it was in 3/4 time -and I listened again - and it is - basically in 3/4 time - 3 beats in a bar like a waltz - but then he has put odd cross rhythms in - that's why the emphasis in "All i want to do is make you happy" comes in different places each time :shocked:

Interesting :thumb_yello: - but still not ever going to be my facvourite song :teehee:

Weezy tweeted that it was in 3/4 time -and I listened again - and it is - basically in 3/4 time - 3 beats in a bar like a waltz - but then he has put odd cross rhythms in - that's why the emphasis in "All i want to do is make you happy" comes in different places each time :shocked:

yeah, i think the song lives from the rhythms more than from the melodies. the rhythm sounds very unusual, i guess it wasn't easy to make this, and probably won't be easy to do live. although it's mainly at the robots voice part, and i guess they won't sing that live. :teehee:

finally new music!!!!!! :thumb_yello: I'm really happy for that!!!!!!

about the song....well...:mikasweat:...I have my doubts...all I can say, with only one hearing, I just get bored! :shocked:... I mean, this wouldn't be a song I'd hear 10 times a day as I do with the two previous albums! he has made better songs, slow and more rythmical songs, but this one...I dunno....I'm not 100% convinced by it! perhaps the film didn't let me appreciate it better...but so far...I'm still waiting for more songs where his voice, and talent can be shown and admired deeper!!! :thumb_yello::wink2:

Maybe hidden, hardly a bolt from the blue :wink2:

I'm pretty sure it's "I knew", not "hidden". We're just not sure about "Baby" or "Maybe". Maybe makes more sense to me, but I don't count on Mika to make sense :naughty:

I'm pretty sure it's "I knew", not "hidden". We're just not sure about "Baby" or "Maybe". Maybe makes more sense to me, but I don't count on Mika to make sense :naughty:

Oh, so I have to hear it again then :wink2:

You're right it's "I knew" but I'm sure the other word it's "Maybe" :naughty:

I can't believe I"m so tired but still up as I wanted to figure out how the song worked and I had to listen to it 4-5 times more :aah:

That's because "all I wanna do is make you happy" is actually 4/4 (cut in a funny way though that makes it uneven within the bar) but the drum base is in 3/4 so when the drum starts these come on top of each other you hear the stressed beat at different parts of the 3/4 meter: first on the first beat then on the second and then on the third.

The verse starts with some irregular rhythm but the 3/4 returns when the drum beat returns, keeping the funny accents / stresses on different parts of the beat as the "All i wanna do is make you happy" is repeated again on top.

Then there is the 'What're you gonna do, I am not over you" part, which is 4/4 2/4 and 3/4 3/4., breaking the structure. Following that 3/4 returns and the song finishes with the original "all I wanna do is make you happy" bit alone, and again the meter changes.

I've listened to the song four times now and whilst not exactly blown into next week by it, I do like it. It's subtly catchy with that cool Scandinavian vibe to it (do we know who his collaborator(s) is on this one?)

I don't object to the autotune/"robot" voice at all. I'm a fan of electronic music and actually really love sampled and modified voices in songs provided they are done wisely.

My favourite part of the track by far is the end part, the 'never gonna give you up' bit. That actually makes the hairs on my neck stand on end as it's so definably Mika *coughfalsetto* and yet something new too.

Haven't been home so I found out about the new song now. I was really excited about the song until I listened to it... and sadly I don't like it :sad: I want to like it so bad, but I can't. :tears:

But maybe it is a song that you need to listen to multiple times before you like it? I've only listen to it three times so maybe that's why I don't like it, I hope so...

Please help someone, convince me!

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

It's... it's...

It's so unusual, strange, and not mikaish at all.

If I heard this song somewhere on the radio, I wouldn't recognize him, I'm afraid!

To gather my feelings I should wait several days and listen more times.

Anyway, great present for my future b-day..

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Fabulous song, even if it's REALLY different from everything he's ever done. I especially love his voice on the "cry on you" bit and that moment when the guy licks the girl on the video. So sweet! :wub2:

Could someone please update the first post with the latest lyrics version people could write down? Thanks a lot in advance!

Fabulous song, even if it's REALLY different from everything he's ever done. I especially love his voice on the "cry on you" bit and that moment when the guy licks the girl on the video. So sweet! :wub2:

Could someone please update the first post with the latest lyrics version people could write down? Thanks a lot in advance!

Me too.:wub2::wub2: