Origin of Love - Song and Lyrics Discussion

suzie

I agree. But the discussion has been good though.

Yes, good discussion, although the song itself does not have such sophisticated view on religion or the etymology of words in the Bible:teehee: I think when Mika talks about God's acts in the lyrics he simply talks about the teachings of the Roman Catholic church.

And I still don't know what he says in the Latin 'prayer' part :aah:

Can anyone give it another go? I want ot figure it out badly :roftl:

Yes, good discussion, although the song itself does not have such sophisticated view on religion or the etymology of words in the Bible:teehee: I think when Mika talks about God's acts in the lyrics he simply talks about the teachings of the Roman Catholic church.

And I still don't know what he says in the Latin 'prayer' part :aah:

Can anyone give it another go? I want ot figure it out badly :roftl:

I love that bit! Someone said it's not proper Latin. I wouldn't know because I don't speak Latin, but all I know is it sounds awesome!!

Deus machismo

Spiritus sanctus etc

you also hear 'deus machismo'? :yay:

I consider it confirmed then, even if 'machismo' is not Latin, of course :roftl:

I love that bit! Someone said it's not proper Latin. I wouldn't know because I don't speak Latin, but all I know is it sounds awesome!!

It is in Latin with some odd words, probably. No-one could figure out all the lyrics with certaintly but what we can hear at some parts, for example 'patre deus', is not Latin as the 'case' does not match. So apparently it can only be pater deus and I understand that. I am not sure if Mika is aware of it though :naughty:

Anyway, after his next performance we'll try to give it another try, ok? :teehee:

you also hear 'deus machismo'? :yay:

I consider it confirmed then, even if 'machismo' is not Latin, of course :roftl:

It is in Latin with some odd words, probably. No-one could figure out all the lyrics with certaintly but what we can hear at some parts, for example 'patre deus', is not Latin as the 'case' does not match. So apparently it can only be pater deus and I understand that. I am not sure if Mika is aware of it though :naughty:

Anyway, after his next performance we'll try to give it another try, ok? :teehee:

Yes, that is what I hear. I'm googling for days trying to find the meaning. I think it should Deus ex Machine (God from a machine) but I am not sure. Found this tho: http://uphillwriting.org/2011/01/13/quips-quotes-deus-machismo/

Don't know if it will help us.....:dunno:

Yes, that is what I hear. I'm googling for days trying to find the meaning. I think it should Deus ex Machine (God from a machine) but I am not sure. Found this tho: http://uphillwriting.org/2011/01/13/quips-quotes-deus-machismo/

Don't know if it will help us.....:dunno:

no, that meaning does not fit. Also, you pronounce that with 'k' and not with 'tʃ'.

some portuguese fans suggested 'batismo', which is not Latin, either, but at least has a religious meaning - it does not make more sense to me that the Spanish word with the word God put ahead of it though :dunno: . Besides, I think that word begins with 'm'.

Edited by suzie

no, that meaning does not fit. Also, you pronounce that with 'k' and not with 'tʃ'.

some portuguese fans suggested 'batismo', which is not Latin, either, but at least has a religious meaning - it does not make more sense to me that the Spanish word with the word God put ahead of it though :dunno: . Besides, I think that word begins with 'm'.

Finally, getting a chance to work through the lyrics on these new songs.

Took me a while to catch up after vacation!

I hear a few minor things differently -- For example, I think the line

is "Let's push their stories aside..." not "Switched their stories aside..."

But overall I think you all have nailed them. :thumb_yello:

I'm so excited that these lyrics are so developed and diverse. The one

thing I've always felt some of Mika's songs lacked was lyrics I

could sink my teeth into. This song (and Lola, too!) has some lyrics

of substance. :yay:

And FWIW I hear "Deus Machismo" in that chant part -- which I don't think is

any specific prayer or chant. Having

been raised Roman Catholic, I've attended my fair share of Masses in

Latin (plus I studied a couple years of Latin in school). I'm fairly sure that's

meant to be something like "faux" religious chanting --

just supposed to *sound* like something you might hear in church, just for

effect. :wink2:

Yes,machismo means male sexism. I thought it existed also in English like machism or sthing like that :aah:

No we borrowed it wholesale, as machismo I think. :naughty: And the adjective is macho. But no one really uses it anymore, just reminds me of The Village People. :teehee:

I hear a few minor things differently -- For example, I think the line

is "Let's push their stories aside..." not "Switched their stories aside..."

But overall I think you all have nailed them. :thumb_yello:

yes,I agree. It was mentioned earlier by someone else and it made sense to me,I just forgot to change it in the first post. Now I have done so.

I'm so excited that these lyrics are so developed and diverse. The one

thing I've always felt some of Mika's songs lacked was lyrics I

could sink my teeth into. This song (and Lola, too!) has some lyrics

of substance. :yay:

yes:wub2:

And FWIW I hear "Deus Machismo" in that chant part -- which I don't think is any specific prayer or chant. Having

been raised Roman Catholic, I've attended my fair share of Masses in

Latin (plus I studied a couple years of Latin in school). I'm fairly sure that's

meant to be something like "faux" religious chanting --

just supposed to *sound* like something you might hear in church, just for

effect. :wink2:

yes, it totally is a 'chant' that gets repeated at the end of each line and to emphasize how the almighty God uses his power to dominate and control people. (It translates to machoism but it is more than being about masculinity or oppressing females.)

Can you try to do the rest? :teehee: I hear the following :

..........................., deus machismo

Patre deus, deus machismo

in ode mage, deus machismo

deus extus santus spirito

In Nibe, where it went from taped and Mika sang over it, it was clearer and also, the first line was not patre/padre deus, unlike what the band seems to sing both times in later performances.

When I listen to the Tallin performance though, I can still hear the band sing "padre deus" and "i ode madre - sounding like a mix of Spanish and Latin"

Can't wait for the next live version. :teehee:

Edited by suzie

yes,I agree. It was mentioned earlier by someone else and it made sense to me,I just forgot to change it in the first. Now I have done so.

Yes for sure. "Switched" was just a placeholder because the first video we had was muffled but it never made sense.

yes,I agree. It was mentioned earlier by someone else and it made sense to me,I just forgot to change it in the first. Now I have done so.

Also, I think the line that you have as

"I gave you all that you feel and everything you hold dear

If you feel broken and..."

is actually

"Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear..."

But I can't for the life of me get the next line. :sneaky2: I think the

last word may be "pocket" but in every version I've seen/listened to, he's

covering his mouth with the microphone, so I can't make it out. There are

a couple of other videos of the song on youtube that I haven't watched yet,

so I'm going to keep after it! Obsessed? Just a little... :naughty:

yes, it totally is a 'chant' that gets repeated at the end of each line and to emphasize how the almighty God uses his power to dominate and control people. (It translates to machoism but it is more than being about masculinity or oppressing females.)

Oh yes, I totally got that. :wink2:

Can you try to do the rest? :teehee: I hear the following :

..........................., deus machismo

Patre deus, deus machismo

........... magis, deus machismo

deus extus santus spirito

In Nibe, where it went from taped and Mika sang over it, it was clearer and also, the first line was not patre/padre deus, unlike what the band seems to sing both times in later performances.

When I listen to the Tallin performance though, I can still hear the band sing "padre deus" and "i ode madre - sounding like a mix of Spanish and Latin"

Can't wait for the next live version. :teehee:

Yeah, I may have to wait for that, too, because I'm getting nothing more. I

mean, I think I hear "madre" in there as well, but it's really SO hard to

distinguish the words. :blink:

"I gave you all that you feel and everything you hold dear

If you feel broken and..."

is actually

"Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear..."

thanks, I have corrected that line. I don't know what is following that though. That part seems to be too low for him :teehee:

Actually, doesn't it end ..'broken about it'?

This is a better version as he changed the melody and sings that part higher:

There are a couple of other videos of the song on youtube that I haven't watched yet,

so I'm going to keep after it! Obsessed? Just a little... :naughty:

Let me warn you: this melody is going to haunt you throughout the day even if you stop listening to it :roftl:

Yeah, I may have to wait for that, too, because I'm getting nothing more. I

mean, I think I hear "madre" in there as well, but it's really SO hard to

distinguish the words. :blink:

ok, the latest is that I hear 'mage'. It means magician in Latin and you pronounce it with dʒ . Mika makes that sound but perhaps not the band so that's why we may not hear that sound clearly.

so, my latest take is 'in ode mage', which would mean something like 'the hated magician' - :teehee: How does that sound?

Edited by suzie

After the "Like everyone that you fear and everything you hold dear..."

I hear if you feel broken and parted.

And I can't make any other contribution to the weird part :aah: I think I've heard something else, can't remember now, cause again, I thought it was my Spanish tricking me :mf_rosetinted:

I would say it's "matre" after hearing this version. But no new ideas about the other parts :dunno:

I think when it is the band singing this live they are uncertain about the first line, then sing something that sounds patre and then matre.

The problem is that when I listen to the recorded version with Mika singing on top (Nibe festival, first performance) I hear a word pronounced with "dʒ" sound - something like mage or magis.. However, when it is the band singing it, I hear matre, too, something like 'in ode madre'. We need a proper recorded version:teehee:

PS: Katydid: I corrected the lyrics to your version - I think we had somethingsimilar originally.

Plus, I changed lyrics to

"Some love’s a pill, some love is a candy cane"

as in the version from Nice it sounds more like it

Edited by suzie