Mikasounds and Twitter updates - Part 11

guylainem123

What's so wrong or complicated with Eurovision? :dunno:

I can't understand, some friends say it's good, others say it's bad, I think I will never understanding :doh:

It's not a serious competition. I have always watched it and I love it as something totally silly, camp and entertaining. It's a song contest, but big, colorful shows around the songs are very typical. ESC can be good for unknown artists from smaller countries (it can even boost their careers) and sometimes winners become huge hits and "Eurovision classics". Usually serious artists are not interested in it at all and I guess I have always thought Mika is far too talented to waste his time for that and he has always said he wouldn't do it.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in the same position as you are:blink:

Me too :blush-anim-cl: Remember ABBA's carriere started when they won the ESC with "Waterloo" :fisch: Cliff Richard got his "Congratulations" forever living after ESC - Johnny Logan had several songs there - etc etc. But maybe MIKA writes a song for UK - if so, we should know this for sure by now, it's taking place in Malmø, Sweden already in May :fisch:

Last Saturday I was in Oslo Spektrum and saw the Norw. finale - cause a band from my place took part, without winning, even they were the best, IMO ...

Love,love

me

It's not a serious competition. I have always watched it and I love it as something totally silly, camp and entertaining. It's a song contest, but big, colorful shows around the songs are very typical. ESC can be good for unknown artists from smaller countries (it can even boost their careers) and sometimes winners become huge hits and "Eurovision classics". Usually serious artists are not interested in it at all and I guess I have always thought Mika is far too talented to waste his time for that and he has always said he wouldn't do it.

Well, one of the best and most respected Dutch singers is entering for The Netherlands this year. Not just unknown artists.

Maybe Mika just write a song to any contestant, like Deb say, yet black cloud in my mind, I think cause I am no native european, is famous not famous, etc, but I think I'm beginning understand the concept Eurovision :thumb_yello:

Thanks for explain :huglove:

Well, one of the best and most respected Dutch singers is entering for The Netherlands this year. Not just unknown artists.

Actually the situation is changing in Finland too. Entries for 2013 were not well-known (artists), but the general quality was very good, imo. I mean several songs were better than in years.

MIKA official ‏@mikasounds

Was woken up at 3am by the hotels earthquake alarm. Picked up my iPad &saw the meteor strike story in Russia. I thought the world was ending

However in other news...!

The US tour fan pre-sale has started! Tickets go on sale over the next few hours for all the dates, all info here! http://on.fb.me/YvMhgk

What's so wrong or complicated with Eurovision? :dunno:

I can't understand, some friends say it's good, others say it's bad, I think I will never understanding :doh:

I'm in the same position as you are:blink:

Have you seen it? Like... ever? Seriously, go watch the entries and you'll be up to date in not time. I understand why Mika keeps coming up as an option. His image is totally camp and foolish, as least as far as some people are concerned. And then he would fit right in Eurovision. But if he does that, he'll make a caricature out of himself, at least in my opinion.

I still don't understand why she does it, but at least she doesn't run the risk of being framed as a camp idiot.

Have you seen it? Like... ever? Seriously, go watch the entries and you'll be up to date in not time. I understand why Mika keeps coming up as an option. His image is totally camp and foolish, as least as far as some people are concerned. And then he would fit right in Eurovision. But if he does that, he'll make a caricature out of himself, at least in my opinion.

I still don't understand why she does it, but at least she doesn't run the risk of being framed as a camp idiot.

All I know about it is Celine Dion sang for Switzerland(???) many years ago:naughty:

All I know about it is Celine Dion sang for Switzerland(???) many years ago:naughty:

That was the first time I heard Celine Dion, and I knew then she would be a HUGE star - with that voice it just couldn't fail :fisch:

ESC has been a door opener to many artists :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

That was the first time I heard Celine Dion, and I knew then she would be a HUGE star - with that voice it just couldn't fail :fisch:

ESC has been a door opener to many artists :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

Believe me, I would not have bet a lot on her the first time I saw her:naughty:

Yes,in 1988,with a french song,and she won.She said it helped her career :teehee:

It hekped her getting recognition outside Quebec, that's for sure:thumb_yello:

Me too :blush-anim-cl: Remember ABBA's carriere started when they won the ESC with "Waterloo" :fisch: Cliff Richard got his "Congratulations" forever living after ESC - Johnny Logan had several songs there - etc etc. But maybe MIKA writes a song for UK - if so, we should know this for sure by now, it's taking place in Malmø, Sweden already in May :fisch:

Last Saturday I was in Oslo Spektrum and saw the Norw. finale - cause a band from my place took part, without winning, even they were the best, IMO ...

Love,love

me

Cliff Richard was already famous before he entered Eurovision:wink2:

Yes,in 1988,with a french song,and she won.She said it helped her career :teehee:

Back in the 80s it was fun and people enjoyed it. But now, in the UK at least, it gets ridiculed a fair bit, and considering the fact that Mika is pretty much ignored by the UK buying public, because of the camp image they have of him (it's pathetic I know, but it's what happened since TBWKTM)I worry that if he does happen to be this years entry, that he'll get ridiculed by the detractors,and I don't think it would help him at all.

Cliff Richard was already famous before he entered Eurovision:wink2:

Of course, I know that - my very first vinyl single record was Cliff's "Lucky lips" :blush-anim-cl: And I wouldn't be happy to see MIKA in this year's ESC - cause as I've already said: he's far too big for that :wub2:

But I can't agree that it's a total unserious music competition either - after all it the world's biggest. People love to hate it, but the program has millions of viewers - which might be useful for artists :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

I'm totally agree. Have you seen Verka Serdiuchka? He/she was on Eurovision from Ukraine. In fact, she is funny, but totally stupid, she distorts and twists the image of Ukraine. He is considered being of a cheapest quality. So, personally I don't want Mika to stay on the same scale. And, moreover, I don't want to hear his songs, which for me are something special, at such a banal event (like I've heard him singing UW with that boring guy).

Back in the 80s it was fun and people enjoyed it. But now, in the UK at least, it gets ridiculed a fair bit, and considering the fact that Mika is pretty much ignored by the UK buying public, because of the camp image they have of him (it's pathetic I know, but it's what happened since TBWKTM)I worry that if he does happen to be this years entry, that he'll get ridiculed by the detractors,and I don't think it would help him at all.

What's camp image Rose?

Oh,I understand.....Anyway,this contest it's not very objective IMO,and Mika should stay away from it.

'camp' means effeminate, sissy. That's the image some people have of Mika.

"In short, camp mocks bad taste; kitsch exploits it. Camp arouses our sense of the ridiculous and we respond with amused tolerance. When we see Bette Davis or Ruth Gordon, fine if sometimes flamboyant performers, relax their self-discipline and overextend their acting technique in a superfluity of ineffective gestures—finger-twitching and hip-switching, hand-rubbing or hip-protruding—we label the sum total as camp. Mae West, whose nasally provocative delivery, eye-rolling, lip-pursing, and pelvic tics parody the conventional invitation to dalliance, is never out of control and

is camp, pure and simple.... Camp was also the stock-in-trade of Carmen Miranda, whose retina-searing Technicolor get-ups, skyscraper headdresses bearing a season's fruit harvest, clomping platform shoes and garbled English projected in a voice that could be heard on Mars all came together beautifully in her campy personification of Exaggeration. Had we been blessed with the Brazilian Bombshell's own blazing interpretation of Joan of Arc,

the grotesque, if fascinating, result would surely have been kitsch."

Edited by A. Clay

'camp' means effeminate, sissy. That's the image some people have of Mika.

I don't think that's what it means exactly. There is a big difference between American and British definitions but I think even in Britain it's more or less a synonym for flamboyantly gay. But to me effeminate and sissy are meant more as insults (especially sissy which is really a less vulgar way of calling a boy a fag because he is weak).

It can come across as dismissive and mocking when people carry on about Mika being camp but it's not inherently insulting especially if you're talking about someone's stage image. Some people ARE camp and by 21st century standards it's really not too far off the mark where Mika is concerned. I don't know how else you would describe that King Louis outfit for example. :naughty:

Oh,I understand.....Anyway,this contest it's not very objective IMO,and Mika should stay away from it.

I don't think that's what it means exactly. There is a big difference between American and British definitions but I think even in Britain it's more or less a synonym for flamboyantly gay. But to me effeminate and sissy are meant more as insults (especially sissy which is really a less vulgar way of calling a boy a fag because he is weak).

It can come across as dismissive and mocking when people carry on about Mika being camp but it's not inherently insulting especially if you're talking about someone's stage image. Some people ARE camp and by 21st century standards it's really not too far off the mark where Mika is concerned. I don't know how else you would describe that King Louis outfit for example. :naughty:

I think I understand the term, thanks :thumb_yello: