Mika: "Louboutin started designing man shoes for me"

Mikasister

Thank you! Do you have the link of the interview? :)

http://smoda.elpais.com/articulos/mika-louboutin-empezo-a-disenar-zapatillas-de-hombre-por-mi/4299

It seems to be part of the El Pais newspaper, right? That's huge, isn't it the biggest newspaper of Spain? :thumb_yello:

I wish he can be one day in "Le Monde" :teehee: (the biggest newspaper in France)

Thanks for posting Alba!

I agree with a lot of things here, including the bit that I don't like him doing reality shows. Call me selfish, but I want him to create new songs that touch me heart and I want to see him on stage because nothing compares to seeing him perform live.

But although it is obvious that some new fans will soon forget him, quite a few of them just happened to discover him through these TV-shows and for the rest are no different from the rest of us. Let's all be very careful not to give them the feeling they're 'lesser' fans just because of the way they happened to discover him.

http://smoda.elpais.com/articulos/mika-louboutin-empezo-a-disenar-zapatillas-de-hombre-por-mi/4299

It seems to be part of the El Pais newspaper, right? That's huge, isn't it the biggest newspaper of Spain? :thumb_yello:

I wish he can be one day in "Le Monde" :teehee: (the biggest newspaper in France)

Thanks for posting Alba!

Yes, it's one of the most important newspaper in Spain :thumb_yello:

This is not about Italy and France. This is about his fans in other countries. And frankly most of them have zero interest in him doing tv shows in languages they don't understand.

He is losing his old fans more and more and if he wants to just be a star in Italy and France, perfect. Otherwise, no.

And there is no whenever it's out option because then his fame in France and Italy will have faded too. It should be this year, tops beginning 2015, but not later. But as he said this year I expect it this year. Promises. Why should I remain loyal to someone who just tells lies to keep me satisfied? I don't believe there will be new music until it's here.

Yes, the sooner the album is out the better he can use the benefits from these television projects. I'm sure he knows it.

I agree with a lot of things here, including the bit that I don't like him doing reality shows. Call me selfish, but I want him to create new songs that touch me heart and I want to see him on stage because nothing compares to seeing him perform live.

But although it is obvious that some new fans will soon forget him, quite a few of them just happened to discover him through these TV-shows and for the rest are no different from the rest of us. Let's all be very careful not to give them the feeling they're 'lesser' fans just because of the way they happened to discover him.

Oh god please let's not start the 'new fan vs old fan' discussion again. That is not the point. It is not about who came when. It is about there being enough people who are going to be loyal enough or willing to buy his stuff to make him successful. That can't be done on an international level with only the fans he gained from X-factor and the Voice.

And yes, he says a lot of things. But I will not believe he spends the money on new music unless there is new music. He's told too many fairy tales in the past to make me believe him without showing proof.

Well as Stefa pointed out, all fans of Mika's music are being neglected at the moment. Whether they live in Italy or France or somewhere else. Whether they discovered Mika in 2007 or 2013. Whether they discovered Mika on the radio or on TV. The bottom line is the only people who are going to be happy if he puts music on the backburner to focus on side project after side project after side project are the ones who are not music fans.

Mika has sold millions and millions of albums. That is his core fan base. We are not a small screaming minority. We are the majority. Alienating these people to court non music fans is compounding the problem of not being able to sell music. It's not a viable long term solution if his goal is to primarily be a musician.

Mika talks a good game but January's schedule is filling up with non music related obligations after he said he'd spend it in the studio. Just like he said he'd spend his spare time in Milan in the autumn of 2013 in the studio. Something that seems extremely unlikely given his commitments to Swatch and two TV shows and promoting the songbook. As Ingie says if this goes on indefinitely and the new music doesn't materialize people are just going to give up. It's too much to expect of even the most loyal fans.

Well, regardless of whether it's more a real "it goes on sale this year" or "it's my plan at the moment I get ready this year" it's nice to read such words :wub2:

My thoughts exactly :thumb_yello:

Add me to your lot...

That's all I have to say, find this discussion pretty depressing:shocked:

I feel slightly abandoned, at this point I actually have a fund to get out of the country this year for a gig because i feel like there won't be much promo or gigs in the UK :( I think he really does love all of his fans but for example at the Swatch signing, there were not enough UK fans to even fill the pub ! Kudos to the people who flew in ! I think he has just given up on the UK because there aren't as many fans as their used to be :( Personally I think he didn't promote TOOL as well as he should have last year. He did however dig himself into a hole constantly reminding everyone he was Lebanese, the press just decided to feed of that !

This is not about Italy and France. This is about his fans in other countries. And frankly most of them have zero interest in him doing tv shows in languages they don't understand.

He is losing his old fans more and more and if he wants to just be a star in Italy and France, perfect. Otherwise, no.

And there is no whenever it's out option because then his fame in France and Italy will have faded too. It should be this year, tops beginning 2015, but not later. But as he said this year I expect it this year. Promises. Why should I remain loyal to someone who just tells lies to keep me satisfied? I don't believe there will be new music until it's here.

Completely agree Ingie !

Yes, even if something like that never was meant, sometimes it can unintentionally come across like it th_UnsureSmiley.gif

I'm sad to say I think there is a split between fans and I have been thinking about it recently. It's not between new and old fans. Fans who are younger have grown up in a world where meeting their idol is more important than getting new music. They would prefer to see x factor every week than get a new album. Sadly Mika is currently catering to them. They also think that every living decision Mika makes must be correct. Then there are the fans who are primarily in to him for the music, mainly the population of the MFC, creating the problem we have. These fans I am one of them, does in fact want the best for Mika but however is not over the moon at every decision he makes. I would not support Mika if he did something outrageously bad ,where others will. The fans who are in it for the celebrity not the music will then claim that we are bad fans because we do not agree with every one of his choices. This is where the problem lies. Bit depressing but had to be said.

I think he really does love all of his fans but for example at the Swatch signing, there were not enough UK fans to even fill the pub !

By the time the party was announced the many people who are not interested enough to go to a watch signing had already made other plans and couldn't make it. But I'm sure many many more people would have made the effort for a gig. Toronto has been more neglected than the UK by an exponential amount. No gigs or promo here of any kind between 2009-2013. And still 850 people went to a gig. Music fans don't care about watches. They care about music.

I don't understand why 1000 hysterically screaming fans turning up for a watch signing is seen as a country loving him but 2000 people turning up at the Roundhouse to hear his music is twisted to be the UK not supporting him anymore.

I'm sad to say I think there is a split between fans and I have been thinking about it recently. It's not between new and old fans. Fans who are younger have grown up in a world where meeting their idol is more important than getting new music. They would prefer to see x factor every week than get a new album. Sadly Mika is currently catering to them. They also think that every living decision Mika makes must be correct. Then there are the fans who are primarily in to him for the music, mainly the population of the MFC, creating the problem we have. These fans I am one of them, does in fact want the best for Mika but however is not over the moon at every decision he makes. I would not support Mika if he did something outrageously bad ,where others will. The fans who are in it for the celebrity not the music will then claim that we are bad fans because we do not agree with every one of his choices. This is where the problem lies. Bit depressing but had to be said.

Don't you think that there a million different splits inbetween that? Actually I think a lot of drama arises because people feel like placed into one of these groups from others because of having positive or negative opinions on special decisions of Mika, but there are actually so many shades.

Edited by DerMoment1608

Well as Stefa pointed out, all fans of Mika's music are being neglected at the moment. Whether they live in Italy or France or somewhere else. Whether they discovered Mika in 2007 or 2013. Whether they discovered Mika on the radio or on TV. The bottom line is the only people who are going to be happy if he puts music on the backburner to focus on side project after side project after side project are the ones who are not music fans.

Mika has sold millions and millions of albums. That is his core fan base. We are not a small screaming minority. We are the majority. Alienating these people to court non music fans is compounding the problem of not being able to sell music. It's not a viable long term solution if his goal is to primarily be a musician.

Mika talks a good game but January's schedule is filling up with non music related obligations after he said he'd spend it in the studio. Just like he said he'd spend his spare time in Milan in the autumn of 2013 in the studio. Something that seems extremely unlikely given his commitments to Swatch and two TV shows and promoting the songbook. As Ingie says if this goes on indefinitely and the new music doesn't materialize people are just going to give up. It's too much to expect of even the most loyal fans.

That's precisely what I meant, even if my style might have sounded slightly harsher :naughty:

It is not about how many shows he had in UK or France in 2013, now it is about producing some new music and performing it instead of using his time in yet another interview where he repeats pretty much the same story all over again. Even I who have not been such an "hard core" fan from the beginning, or whatever you want to call it, am tired of listening to the same story told to different meaningless TV hosts. I can just imagine how you, Christine, Rose, and many others must feel about it.

This is a interview in a spanish newspaper from today, I used google translate because I don't dare translating on my own bcause my english is not good enough but I thought it was an interesting interview. I hope all of you understand it :wink2:

He likes to be (and go) nomadic artist. The king of happy songs spent months living in hotel rooms because of his work as a judge of talent shows and preparing for his new album. Being a parent is part of its new objectives.

mika_9521_635x.jpg

He's here to load the prestige of sad. Mika, born Michael Holbrook Penniman, has spent almost a decade as the billing happy songs that made ​​him famous, Grace Kelly. After an itinerant period in which he has served as X Factor judges in Italy, and La Voz in France prepares new album this year. Oh, also says he wants "a bunch of kids." But it's still too soon.

¡Where do you live now?

In the Bristol hotel in Paris. Seem to be on the set of Woody Allen film. I've lived in hotels throughout the year, so my room is full of records, books, clothes and magazines. Right now I move between the United States, Paris, Milan ... but my house is still in London. I have been working in television and also preparing my new album.

What can you say about the album?

It goes on sale this year. People who have heard it said that sounds to me as a teenager, when I was 19.

And how it was when you were 19?

My music had a strange combination of reflection and extreme joy. I did not care what people thought of it, if it was too melodic or too happy or whatever.

His previous album, The Origins of Love, was also a happy, of being in love disc. Although commonly believed that the best music comes from sadness ...

That is an absurd superstition indie. The best music of Fleetwood Mac to Prince, the backbone of pop, is in the happy songs. It's easy to be depressed but it is very difficult to be happy elegantly. Got Elton John, Carole King, Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams (who collaborated on that album) ... Pharrell, for example, understand it, in part because one of his heroes was Marvin Gaye, who also had the gift.

You became famous with one of those songs, Grace Kelly, the almost overnight.

Say what? That's not true at all. Well, it was perceived that way. I started working 10 years. And then, even that song took two years to become a success. It became popular in the most rare, thanks to the people, not the media manner. I was one of the first artists that came out of the Internet. My label did not know what shows first single, but the fans decided on MySpace. Now it seems normal, but seven or eight years ago it was not so. It is true that I will always remember one night I went to bed and only 351 people had heard the song. And when I got up in the morning and were 58,000. In that sense has ra-zon. I thought there was a mistake. And from there he went to 320,000!

So, you were ready for fame?

Well, one day you're a 10 year old boy, you kicked out of school, everyone tells you you're a loser and would never do anything and the next year you're singing one opera at the Royal Albert Hall. I was a small boy soprano. But the next year I lost again especially since my voice changed. So I believe in the power of transformation.

You came out of the closet publicly two years ago. Why did you think it was necessary?

I did at one point that came naturally. I am a real person and not a politician. I have no interest in the politics of sexuality and I've always kept my privacy. But I was happy, I had solved many things in my life and I liked the idea of ​​taking something that mystery does not have to have it. It is a personal decision. It took time and I did it my way. If someone does not want to come out, is not the end of the world.

Did it also because we are at an important time in regards to gay rights?

Countries without gay marriage are becoming a rarity, although we still see cases of repression in countries like Russia. There are many people fighting for equality in different ways, people who have sacrificed their lives for the rights of others. When I speak of this in Italy, for example, that, as is known, is not the most open country in the world, I think it humanized the idea of ​​a same-sex union. If two people love each other, how can something bad out there?

In Italy, in fact, said in an interview that he wants to have "a handful of children." Is it a short-term plan?

If I did it now it would be very irresponsible, as you do not buy a dog if you know you're not going to be home. In the future, yes, I have several children. I come from a family of five brothers and I used to live in a happy chaos, I could not raise a child otherwise.

Your family was quite nomadic. Moved from Lebanon to France, then to England ...

I was born immigrant. I do not consider any nationality, maybe European. Of course, I do not like how the British often remind you that you were not born there. That does not happen in America. In the UK they call me 'the Lebanese singer. " What do you mean by that? I studied with the English educational system. I feel more at home in Spain, France or Italy.

Your mother was a seamstress. Why? Fired your interest in fashion?

It helped that I saw as a fashion thing, not really catch me. She worked for major fashion houses and had the suits hanging around in the living room. So we looked the most normal.

You've collaborated with Paul Smith, for example.

For six years also with Louboutin. He began his sports shoes man for me, because I needed some shoes that could dance on stage.

And now living among hotels, is there any garment that can not be separated?

I have a cashmere coat three quarter, made in Savile Row, and the truth is that you can take with him whatever you want, your gym clothes, whatever. With this fantastic coat over you, you're a real dandy. Which I think is very important. A dandy never seem to follow fashion, you can wear Gap, Valentino, whatever, and eventually gets it all work. To me, that is the definition of how a man should dress.

Thank you sweet Alba :huglove: Muchas gracias para ti :flowers2:

I m happy everytime Mika mentions his future children :woot_jump:

I wish I could be their nanny :swoon: And a handfull is perfect :swoon:

Don't you think that there a million different splits inbetween that? Actually I think a lot of drama arises because people feel like placed into one of these groups from others because of having positive or negative opinions on special decisions of Mika, but there are actually so many shades.

I definitely agree with you

That's precisely what I meant, even if my style might have sounded slightly harsher :naughty:

It is not about how many shows he had in UK or France in 2013, now it is about producing some new music and performing it instead of using his time in yet another interview where he repeats pretty much the same story all over again. Even I who have not been such an "hard core" fan from the beginning, or whatever you want to call it, am tired of listening to the same story told to different meaningless TV hosts. I can just imagine how you, Christine, Rose, and many others must feel about it.

That's one of the thing I have the hardest time to understand: because he's a musician, the only thing he should do 24/24 7 days a week is do music? Do you do your job all day long?

Those interviews might be a little repetitive, but I always find something interesting nonetheless... Plus, they ain't targeted at me, but to people reading their paper and don't know his story. They are also part of his job to get people realize he does exist...

Can't agree more!

Yes it is more nuanced between hardcore fans. All of us have an investment in Mika as a human being and not just a musician or we wouldn't be here. And everyone who supports his side projects also loves his music obviously.

But I think if you are talking about millions of people in the general population you can categorize them in this way. The vast majority of people who buy albums and gig tickets don't care about meeting the artist and buying their random products. If they did there would be 5000 people waiting to get Mika's autograph after a gig and not 50 or 100. If Mika announces a gig at a pub in London tomorrow instead of a party after a Swatch promotional event it will not be half empty. I can guarantee it. But this music fanbase is getting smaller because there is nothing to hold their interest and keep Mika in their consciousness. Not outside of France. That seems to be the only place where there is a sustainable balance between his level of fame and appreciation for his music.

I can just imagine how you, Christine, Rose, and many others must feel about it.

Yes that is what I have meant when I say I've been around a long time but it is always misinterpreted by someone to the point where I can't mention it anymore so I'm glad you understand.

That's one of the thing I have the hardest time to understand: because he's a musician, the only thing he should do 24/24 7 days a week is do music? Do you do your job all day long?

24 hours a day? No. When I am at work? Yes.

No one is complaining about Mika skiing or going on a cross continental trip with his family or dressing up his dog. No one expects him to focus on his career 24 hours a day and not enjoy a private life or a break. The issue is that he seems to be switching careers. If that's what makes him happy and he doesn't want to have a full time career in music, that's fine. But if he is sincere that he wants to make music his primary focus he has got his work cut out for him. Because music fans will not stick around indefinitely and it's not going to be easy to squeeze out an album and tour properly to support it in and amongst all these other commitments.

24 hours a day? No. When I am at work? Yes.

No one is complaining about Mika skiing or going on a cross continental trip with his family or dressing up his dog. No one expects him to focus on his career 24 hours a day and not enjoy a private life or a break. The issue is that he seems to be switching careers. If that's what makes him happy and he doesn't want to have a full time career in music, that's fine. But if he is sincere that he wants to make music his primary focus he has got his work cut out for him. Because music fans will not stick around indefinitely and it's not going to be easy to squeeze out an album and tour properly to support it in and amongst all these other commitments.

Switching careers???

It's not like he went on and go on Occupation double or celebrity chef...

I'm more a wait and see person, so we'll see what 2014 will bring. We're only January 5 after all:teehee:

By the time the party was announced the many people who are not interested enough to go to a watch signing had already made other plans and couldn't make it. But I'm sure many many more people would have made the effort for a gig. Toronto has been more neglected than the UK by an exponential amount. No gigs or promo here of any kind between 2009-2013. And still 850 people went to a gig. Music fans don't care about watches. They care about music.

I don't understand why 1000 hysterically screaming fans turning up for a watch signing is seen as a country loving him but 2000 people turning up at the Roundhouse to hear his music is twisted to be the UK not supporting him anymore.

I agree with this, obviously the majority of people are here for the music, me included. So many more people would have showed up for a gig! He kinda says that the UK does not support him but there hasn't been a gig since Roundhouse.

We came back to the same discussion again... :doh:

Well for me it is like this:

1. Go to the talent shows in Italy and France to make MONEY!

2. Go to the studio to record new album (using MONEY)

3. Make the promotion for the new record (using MONEY)

4. Go on tour.

Of course he can sell his houses, risk all he has and then make an album and promotion. But Mika in 2014 is not Mika from 2006. He's famous enough to earn money for his records using less hard ways like doing couple of talent shows :mf_rosetinted: I really don't understand why fans don't understand (sorry :aah:) he needs money to make music :fisch:

And why he can't say he feels uncomfortable in the UK if it's true. I always have an impression he feels more cosy in France, so I let him feel what he feels.

But I agree with one thing: he surely NEED to make all the efforts to come back to the UK and US with his 4th album, because these are the main music markets :thumb_yello: And I don't mean XF or something like this :teehee: I mean MUSIC! He can choose the easy way and go to the places he's welcomed already like France and Italy. But it's not the best idea. He wanted to conquer the world and I hope he still wants it :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah yeah money to make music. I will believe that when we get a proper album in English this year.

And Mika feels abandoned by the UK, but has it occurred to anyone UK fans feel abandoned by Mika? Of course he feels at home in France. He is adored there without having to put much effort into it. But that is not the standard so he should not blame the UK or the record company. Both parties should put in the effort.