Mika: "Louboutin started designing man shoes for me"

Mikasister

I didn't interpret this particular comment as a criticism of the British press, and definitely not his fans. Europe as a whole has not been particularly welcoming to immigrants in the past 12 years, especially if they're from a different culture. Lots of people have been made to feel foreigners in what they had come to consider their own country, and none of them are happy about it. The place where he's going to feel that the most will be the UK, because in all other countries he's primarily seen an international star, rather than an immigrant.

But Mika is not from a substantially different culture. He's an American raised by American parents. The only reason anyone perceives him as Lebanese is because every single time he has opened his mouth in public in the past 7+ years he says he is from a Leanese family and/or that he is foreign born. He reserves the right to feel slighted if people in the UK make ethnic Lebanese feel like foreigners no matter how long they have lived in Britain but I don't understand why he is blaming anyone for calling him Lebanese. He is the one who has gone to very deliberate lengths to single himself out in this way.

I also think his comments about the US being more inclusive in this way are absurd. He should go to Oklahoma and tell everyone he comes across that he's an Arab and see if he is more welcome than he is in Chelsea. :naughty:

Why? He did several festivals, the San Miguel commercial and some promo in Spain last year, he only spent 1 day for the signings in the UK.

You're right with the few time he spent in UK, I think it's totally unfair for his fans there but it wasn't better in spain in comparison with the things he's doing in France and Italy. In Spain just did one festival in 2013, San Miguel ad was something special that won't happen every year and vodaphone concerts were something unexpected but IMO he still does not have promotion enough for being well known and loved in Spain as he's in France but I've started to assume that. Sometimes is very sad to see the succes he has in other countries and I have the lack of him in mine and if I want to see him more than once I have to spend lots of money travelling

You're right with the few time he spent in UK, I think it's totally unfair for his fans there but it wasn't better in spain in comparison with the things he's doing in France and Italy. In Spain just did one festival in 2013, San Miguel ad was something special that won't happen every year and vodaphone concerts were something unexpected but IMO he still does not have promotion enough for being well known and loved in Spain as he's in France but I've started to assume that. Sometimes is very sad to see the succes he has in other countries and I have the lack of him in mine and if I want to see him more than once I have to spend lots of money travelling

He has better chance of promo in Spain than he does in the UK, he is always welcome on El Hormiguero tv show, not something that seems to be happening in the UK right now, as no one invited him to be on any UK tv shows in the last 2 years, even to promo TOOL. So I think you have more chance of things happening in Spain than we do here.

This is how I felt when I read this, not wanting to sound a bit over dramatic, but it cut me to the bone.

X Factor Italia/The Voice France notwithstanding, I have been unwaveringly supportive to Mika over the last 7 years, and don't plan on abandoning him anytime soon. But reading that, makes me wonder if he feels the same about us UK fans.

At the afterparty for the Swatch signing here, it felt like he still cared, but when he gives interviews and says things like that, does he think we won't see it, and that it makes us wonder if we should even bother to support him anymore?

Surely he must realise that these interviews get translated and that we can see what's being said. I can imagine that a lot of UK fans here might start feeling under appreciated and wonder if he is going to bother touring here again anytime soon.

He needs to send out a message to the UK fans, so they don't feel like they have been abandoned.

Some of us already have completely given up ... I find it really hard to find anything of interest in anything he has to say ... shame cos' he did win me back again after that Heaven gig in 2012 ... I'm not holding my breath for it happening again :no:

He has better chance of promo in Spain than he does in the UK, he is always welcome on El Hormiguero tv show, not something that seems to be happening in the UK right now, as no one invited him to be on any UK tv shows in the last 2 years, even to promo TOOL. So I think you have more chance of things happening in Spain than we do here.

Yes, El Hormiguero it's worth it but he just goes there when he's promoting the album. We'll see what happen in the near future but I'm not optimistic about him doing things in Spain, as I said, we'll see...

I also think his comments about the US being more inclusive in this way are absurd. He should go to Oklahoma and tell everyone he comes across that he's an Arab and see if he is more welcome than he is in Chelsea. :naughty:

:naughty: the same goes for France for sure and probably Italy as well.

Yes, El Hormiguero it's worth it but he just goes there when he's promoting the album. We'll see what happen in the near future but I'm not optimistic about him doing things in Spain, as I said, we'll see...

Luck of the day: you're not a latin-american fan :mikacool::mikacool::mikacool:

Sometimes is very sad to see the succes he has in other countries and I have the lack of him in mine and if I want to see him more than once I have to spend lots of money travelling

Welcome to the club. At least France and Italy are within reach for the Spanish. For me a trip to Europe is $1000+ just for the flight. And since it would take me 18 hours for the return flight it's not like I can just stay one night in a hotel and come home. The more Mika excludes English speaking fans from everything he is involved in the less willing any of us are to go to this trouble and expense to see him. It's a funny irony that many of the Brits who used to love to go to foreign gigs are no longer motivated to do, even though that is now the only way to see him.

:naughty: the same goes for France for sure and probably Italy as well.

Yes so we all understand that he loves to flatter whatever country he's in at the moment, but I think it's unnecessary to slam the UK in the process. And he's mentioned it enough times that he seems to believe it or think it's a valid explanation, much like he used to blame his comparative lack of success in the US on homophobia.

Luck of the day: you're not a latin-american fan :mikacool::mikacool::mikacool:

I know, I know :itsok: I have less reasons to complain than you but you know I don't like that situation, it seems he has "forgotten" he got fans all over the world. I love Mika if not I won't be here and follow him but I'm disappointed to see some fans have everything and others don't :emot-sad: I think the whole thing should be more balanced

Edited by Mikasister

Yes so we all understand that he loves to flatter whatever country he's in at the moment, but I think it's unnecessary to slam the UK in the process. And he's mentioned it enough times that he seems to believe it or think it's a valid explanation, much like he used to blame his comparative lack of success in the US on homophobia.

It's only (hu)man to blame others for things that go wrong, but it would be wiser if he didn't do it in interviews.

It's only (hu)man to blame others for things that go wrong, but it would be wiser if he didn't do it in interviews.

Exactly. 7 years ago the UK gave him a number 1 single and number 1 album and provided him with the credibility and backing to go to France, Italy, etc. If rewriting history so that the UK is too xenophobic to embrace him makes him feel better he can believe whatever he wants. But saying it in interviews is not helpful.

I love Mika if not I won't be here and follow him but I'm disappointed to see some fans have everything and others don't :emot-sad: I think the whole thing should be more balanced

In my opinion no fans have everything now.

Maybe the only ones that have something are those scary screaming teenagers that just care to see him at crappy talent shows or shopping malls, with zero interest for his music.

And they hardly can be called fans.

What can you say about the album?

It goes on sale this year. People who have heard it said that sounds to me as a teenager, when I was 19.

Well, regardless of whether it's more a real "it goes on sale this year" or "it's my plan at the moment I get ready this year" it's nice to read such words :wub2:

Maybe the only ones that have something are those scary screaming teenagers that just care to see him at crappy talent shows or shopping malls, with zero interest for his music.

Oh, do you want an example: 11 festivals in France last summer, 0 festivals in UK :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Mikasister

Exactly. 7 years ago the UK gave him a number 1 single and number 1 album and provided him with the credibility and backing to go to France, Italy, etc. If rewriting history so that the UK is too xenophobic to embrace him makes him feel better he can believe whatever he wants. But saying it in interviews is not helpful.

And 7 years ago also France and Norway gave him a no 1 single and no 1 alb.! I know that my country doesn't mean anything to him - and the fact that he just came here twice for concerts, we are responsible for ourselves - it's all a matter of offer and demand. As RAK1 said, he goes where he's invited - it's obvious and as simple as that.

My thought today is "poor MIKA" - it really can't be easy to be multicultural :blink: In most of these interviews he's being asked about his background - and he has explained it, honestly and patiently, over and over again. Now it seems like it's been used against him - if he dares to tell where he feels " most wanted and at home". I do agree with Smokesignal, he doesn't speak about, or blame, the UK press or the UK fans at all, in this last interview shared by Mikasister - imo he just answers questions! :doh: May be the best thing for him should be to stop giving interviews - but I think we all know what that would lead to ...

Love,love

me

Well to me he has always been a British pop star. He grew up here, has a London accent & lives here. The only multicultural problem(:mf_rosetinted:) is that he speaks fluent French. I can totally understand why Europe loves him so much. There are not many pop stars that speak French. They feel that they have something in common. Unfortunately for the British & American fans he has spent more time in Europe and neglected the market. He therefore hasn't done well and then blames the countries.

Mika is a flatterer but is also notorious for talking out of his arse. Harsh but true.

Well to me he has always been a British pop star. He grew up here, has a London accent & lives here. The only multicultural problem(:mf_rosetinted:) is that he speaks fluent French. I can totally understand why Europe loves him so much. There are not many pop stars that speak French. They feel that they have something in common. Unfortunately for the British & American fans he has spent more time in Europe and neglected the market. He therefore hasn't done well and then blames the countries.

Mika is a flatterer but is also notorious for talking out of his arse. Harsh but true.

I agreed Mika is a British song writer... I am glad tha he spent months in my Milan but this turns him in something different a TV star.. which is not good for us but probably in his masterlan makes sense :blush-anim-cl:

I'm going to be brutally honest here and it will probably upset the 'we must support everything Mika does' fans, but I don't care.

If he wants to keep/attract fans who are interested in his MUSIC and have the means and are willing to go to gigs, he should make music, stop blaming everyone else and work hard for it.

If he wants to attract fans who like him for being celebrity Mika and will probably go to a gig but will forget about him once the next hot thing arrives, he can be my guest and continue to way he is doing now.

Fact of the matter is, he is alienating every fan outside of France and Italy and it may be the perfect solution for now, but in the long run this will come back to bite him in the ass and his pretty face can't save him from that. And no, this is not the minority who feels this way. This is the majority.

So yes, album this year, I'll believe it when I see it.

Wow that is really harsh! :shocked: I do like your style. :teehee:

As RAK1 said, he goes where he's invited - it's obvious and as simple as that.

Who do you think was inviting Mika to do anything anywhere in October 2006? Did he just crawl up into a ball because there were only 16 people at his gigs in the UK? Or did he get out there and pay his dues like everyone else has to if they expect to earn a living as a musician? If Mika had to wait for an invite to perform in his own country he'd probably be sitting in an office in the City right now pushing papers and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

in this last interview shared by Mikasister - imo he just answers questions! :doh:

How does the mere mention (it was not even a question) of the fact that has moved from Lebanon to France and England necessitate him to say what he does "not like" about the way he is treated in England and to point out that he feels more at home in countries he has never lived than he does there? He was not asked "So what do you hate about England?" :blink:

I'm going to be brutally honest here and it will probably upset the 'we must support everything Mika does' fans, but I don't care.

If he wants to keep/attract fans who are interested in his MUSIC and have the means and are willing to go to gigs, he should make music, stop blaming everyone else and work hard for it.

If he wants to attract fans who like him for being celebrity Mika and will probably go to a gig but will forget about him once the next hot thing arrives, he can be my guest and continue to way he is doing now.

Fact of the matter is, he is alienating every fan outside of France and Italy and it may be the perfect solution for now, but in the long run this will come back to bite him in the ass and his pretty face can't save him from that. And no, this is not the minority who feels this way. This is the majority.

So yes, album this year, I'll believe it when I see it.

Doing television shows (celebrity things) in Italy and France helps him to sell more albums and gigs/tours in those countries and maybe also to finance promoting his new music in many other countries. He considered his options and chose this one. It's obvious there are new fans who like him only because he is a celebrity but a part of new fans are staying for his music. Any way, I can't see him as someone who enjoys being "only a celebrity". Surely he is doing his best with the album whenever it's out.

Edited by tiibet

This is a interview in a spanish newspaper from today, I used google translate because I don't dare translating on my own bcause my english is not good enough but I thought it was an interesting interview. I hope all of you understand it :wink2:

He likes to be (and go) nomadic artist. The king of happy songs spent months living in hotel rooms because of his work as a judge of talent shows and preparing for his new album. Being a parent is part of its new objectives.

mika_9521_635x.jpg

He's here to load the prestige of sad. Mika, born Michael Holbrook Penniman, has spent almost a decade as the billing happy songs that made ​​him famous, Grace Kelly. After an itinerant period in which he has served as X Factor judges in Italy, and La Voz in France prepares new album this year. Oh, also says he wants "a bunch of kids." But it's still too soon.

¡Where do you live now?

In the Bristol hotel in Paris. Seem to be on the set of Woody Allen film. I've lived in hotels throughout the year, so my room is full of records, books, clothes and magazines. Right now I move between the United States, Paris, Milan ... but my house is still in London. I have been working in television and also preparing my new album.

What can you say about the album?

It goes on sale this year. People who have heard it said that sounds to me as a teenager, when I was 19.

And how it was when you were 19?

My music had a strange combination of reflection and extreme joy. I did not care what people thought of it, if it was too melodic or too happy or whatever.

His previous album, The Origins of Love, was also a happy, of being in love disc. Although commonly believed that the best music comes from sadness ...

That is an absurd superstition indie. The best music of Fleetwood Mac to Prince, the backbone of pop, is in the happy songs. It's easy to be depressed but it is very difficult to be happy elegantly. Got Elton John, Carole King, Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams (who collaborated on that album) ... Pharrell, for example, understand it, in part because one of his heroes was Marvin Gaye, who also had the gift.

You became famous with one of those songs, Grace Kelly, the almost overnight.

Say what? That's not true at all. Well, it was perceived that way. I started working 10 years. And then, even that song took two years to become a success. It became popular in the most rare, thanks to the people, not the media manner. I was one of the first artists that came out of the Internet. My label did not know what shows first single, but the fans decided on MySpace. Now it seems normal, but seven or eight years ago it was not so. It is true that I will always remember one night I went to bed and only 351 people had heard the song. And when I got up in the morning and were 58,000. In that sense has ra-zon. I thought there was a mistake. And from there he went to 320,000!

So, you were ready for fame?

Well, one day you're a 10 year old boy, you kicked out of school, everyone tells you you're a loser and would never do anything and the next year you're singing one opera at the Royal Albert Hall. I was a small boy soprano. But the next year I lost again especially since my voice changed. So I believe in the power of transformation.

You came out of the closet publicly two years ago. Why did you think it was necessary?

I did at one point that came naturally. I am a real person and not a politician. I have no interest in the politics of sexuality and I've always kept my privacy. But I was happy, I had solved many things in my life and I liked the idea of ​​taking something that mystery does not have to have it. It is a personal decision. It took time and I did it my way. If someone does not want to come out, is not the end of the world.

Did it also because we are at an important time in regards to gay rights?

Countries without gay marriage are becoming a rarity, although we still see cases of repression in countries like Russia. There are many people fighting for equality in different ways, people who have sacrificed their lives for the rights of others. When I speak of this in Italy, for example, that, as is known, is not the most open country in the world, I think it humanized the idea of ​​a same-sex union. If two people love each other, how can something bad out there?

In Italy, in fact, said in an interview that he wants to have "a handful of children." Is it a short-term plan?

If I did it now it would be very irresponsible, as you do not buy a dog if you know you're not going to be home. In the future, yes, I have several children. I come from a family of five brothers and I used to live in a happy chaos, I could not raise a child otherwise.

Your family was quite nomadic. Moved from Lebanon to France, then to England ...

I was born immigrant. I do not consider any nationality, maybe European. Of course, I do not like how the British often remind you that you were not born there. That does not happen in America. In the UK they call me 'the Lebanese singer. " What do you mean by that? I studied with the English educational system. I feel more at home in Spain, France or Italy.

Your mother was a seamstress. Why? Fired your interest in fashion?

It helped that I saw as a fashion thing, not really catch me. She worked for major fashion houses and had the suits hanging around in the living room. So we looked the most normal.

You've collaborated with Paul Smith, for example.

For six years also with Louboutin. He began his sports shoes man for me, because I needed some shoes that could dance on stage.

And now living among hotels, is there any garment that can not be separated?

I have a cashmere coat three quarter, made in Savile Row, and the truth is that you can take with him whatever you want, your gym clothes, whatever. With this fantastic coat over you, you're a real dandy. Which I think is very important. A dandy never seem to follow fashion, you can wear Gap, Valentino, whatever, and eventually gets it all work. To me, that is the definition of how a man should dress.

Thank you! Do you have the link of the interview? :)

Doing television shows (celebrity things) in Italy and France helps him to sell more albums and gigs/tours in those countries and maybe also to finance promoting his new music in many other countries. He considered his options and chose this one. It's obvious there are new fans who like him only because he is celebrity but a part of new fans are staying for his music. Any way, I can't see as someone who enjoys being "only a celebrity". Surely he is doing his best with the album whenever it's out.

I totally agree with you, he has always said that he makes television in order to keep on making HIS music! and of course, who wouldn't like to have more fans? I know that Italy and France are very small compared to USA or UK, but I think he's just starting with them maybe because he feels more comfortable there, I actually don't know! he may have other plans for the other countries in the future, who knows? I also want to add that for example last year he did the intimate evenings in the US which I would totally prefer than X Factor! I liked to see his pretty face every week but what I like the most is always his music.

Doing television shows (celebrity things) in Italy and France helps him to sell more albums and gigs/tours in those countries and maybe also to finance promoting his new music in many other countries. He considered his options and chose this one. It's obvious there are new fans who like him only because he is celebrity but a part of new fans are staying for his music. Any way, I can't see as someone who enjoys being "only a celebrity". Surely he is doing his best with the album whenever it's out.

This is not about Italy and France. This is about his fans in other countries. And frankly most of them have zero interest in him doing tv shows in languages they don't understand.

He is losing his old fans more and more and if he wants to just be a star in Italy and France, perfect. Otherwise, no.

And there is no whenever it's out option because then his fame in France and Italy will have faded too. It should be this year, tops beginning 2015, but not later. But as he said this year I expect it this year. Promises. Why should I remain loyal to someone who just tells lies to keep me satisfied? I don't believe there will be new music until it's here.