Mika: "Louboutin started designing man shoes for me"

Mikasister

This is a interview in a spanish newspaper from today, I used google translate because I don't dare translating on my own bcause my english is not good enough but I thought it was an interesting interview. I hope all of you understand it :wink2:

He likes to be (and go) nomadic artist. The king of happy songs spent months living in hotel rooms because of his work as a judge of talent shows and preparing for his new album. Being a parent is part of its new objectives.

mika_9521_635x.jpg

He's here to load the prestige of sad. Mika, born Michael Holbrook Penniman, has spent almost a decade as the billing happy songs that made ​​him famous, Grace Kelly. After an itinerant period in which he has served as X Factor judges in Italy, and La Voz in France prepares new album this year. Oh, also says he wants "a bunch of kids." But it's still too soon.

¡Where do you live now?

In the Bristol hotel in Paris. Seem to be on the set of Woody Allen film. I've lived in hotels throughout the year, so my room is full of records, books, clothes and magazines. Right now I move between the United States, Paris, Milan ... but my house is still in London. I have been working in television and also preparing my new album.

What can you say about the album?

It goes on sale this year. People who have heard it said that sounds to me as a teenager, when I was 19.

And how it was when you were 19?

My music had a strange combination of reflection and extreme joy. I did not care what people thought of it, if it was too melodic or too happy or whatever.

His previous album, The Origins of Love, was also a happy, of being in love disc. Although commonly believed that the best music comes from sadness ...

That is an absurd superstition indie. The best music of Fleetwood Mac to Prince, the backbone of pop, is in the happy songs. It's easy to be depressed but it is very difficult to be happy elegantly. Got Elton John, Carole King, Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams (who collaborated on that album) ... Pharrell, for example, understand it, in part because one of his heroes was Marvin Gaye, who also had the gift.

You became famous with one of those songs, Grace Kelly, the almost overnight.

Say what? That's not true at all. Well, it was perceived that way. I started working 10 years. And then, even that song took two years to become a success. It became popular in the most rare, thanks to the people, not the media manner. I was one of the first artists that came out of the Internet. My label did not know what shows first single, but the fans decided on MySpace. Now it seems normal, but seven or eight years ago it was not so. It is true that I will always remember one night I went to bed and only 351 people had heard the song. And when I got up in the morning and were 58,000. In that sense has ra-zon. I thought there was a mistake. And from there he went to 320,000!

So, you were ready for fame?

Well, one day you're a 10 year old boy, you kicked out of school, everyone tells you you're a loser and would never do anything and the next year you're singing one opera at the Royal Albert Hall. I was a small boy soprano. But the next year I lost again especially since my voice changed. So I believe in the power of transformation.

You came out of the closet publicly two years ago. Why did you think it was necessary?

I did at one point that came naturally. I am a real person and not a politician. I have no interest in the politics of sexuality and I've always kept my privacy. But I was happy, I had solved many things in my life and I liked the idea of ​​taking something that mystery does not have to have it. It is a personal decision. It took time and I did it my way. If someone does not want to come out, is not the end of the world.

Did it also because we are at an important time in regards to gay rights?

Countries without gay marriage are becoming a rarity, although we still see cases of repression in countries like Russia. There are many people fighting for equality in different ways, people who have sacrificed their lives for the rights of others. When I speak of this in Italy, for example, that, as is known, is not the most open country in the world, I think it humanized the idea of ​​a same-sex union. If two people love each other, how can something bad out there?

In Italy, in fact, said in an interview that he wants to have "a handful of children." Is it a short-term plan?

If I did it now it would be very irresponsible, as you do not buy a dog if you know you're not going to be home. In the future, yes, I have several children. I come from a family of five brothers and I used to live in a happy chaos, I could not raise a child otherwise.

Your family was quite nomadic. Moved from Lebanon to France, then to England ...

I was born immigrant. I do not consider any nationality, maybe European. Of course, I do not like how the British often remind you that you were not born there. That does not happen in America. In the UK they call me 'the Lebanese singer. " What do you mean by that? I studied with the English educational system. I feel more at home in Spain, France or Italy.

Your mother was a seamstress. Why? Fired your interest in fashion?

It helped that I saw as a fashion thing, not really catch me. She worked for major fashion houses and had the suits hanging around in the living room. So we looked the most normal.

You've collaborated with Paul Smith, for example.

For six years also with Louboutin. He began his sports shoes man for me, because I needed some shoes that could dance on stage.

And now living among hotels, is there any garment that can not be separated?

I have a cashmere coat three quarter, made in Savile Row, and the truth is that you can take with him whatever you want, your gym clothes, whatever. With this fantastic coat over you, you're a real dandy. Which I think is very important. A dandy never seem to follow fashion, you can wear Gap, Valentino, whatever, and eventually gets it all work. To me, that is the definition of how a man should dress.

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 1

This is a interview in a spanish newspaper from today, I used google translate because I don't dare translating on my own bcause my english is not good enough but I thought it was an interesting interview. I hope all of you understand it :wink2:

He likes to be (and go) nomadic artist. The king of happy songs spent months living in hotel rooms because of his work as a judge of talent shows and preparing for his new album. Being a parent is part of its new objectives.

mika_9521_635x.jpg

He's here to load the prestige of sad. Mika, born Michael Holbrook Penniman, has spent almost a decade as the billing happy songs that made ​​him famous, Grace Kelly. After an itinerant period in which he has served as X Factor judges in Italy, and La Voz in France prepares new album this year. Oh, also says he wants "a bunch of kids." But it's still too soon.

¡Where do you live now?

In the Bristol hotel in Paris. Seem to be on the set of Woody Allen film. I've lived in hotels throughout the year, so my room is full of records, books, clothes and magazines. Right now I move between the United States, Paris, Milan ... but my house is still in London. I have been working in television and also preparing my new album.

What can you say about the album?

It goes on sale this year. People who have heard it said that sounds to me as a teenager, when I was 19.

And how it was when you were 19?

My music had a strange combination of reflection and extreme joy. I did not care what people thought of it, if it was too melodic or too happy or whatever.

His previous album, The Origins of Love, was also a happy, of being in love disc. Although commonly believed that the best music comes from sadness ...

That is an absurd superstition indie. The best music of Fleetwood Mac to Prince, the backbone of pop, is in the happy songs. It's easy to be depressed but it is very difficult to be happy elegantly. Got Elton John, Carole King, Daft Punk, Pharrell Williams (who collaborated on that album) ... Pharrell, for example, understand it, in part because one of his heroes was Marvin Gaye, who also had the gift.

You became famous with one of those songs, Grace Kelly, the almost overnight.

Say what? That's not true at all. Well, it was perceived that way. I started working 10 years. And then, even that song took two years to become a success. It became popular in the most rare, thanks to the people, not the media manner. I was one of the first artists that came out of the Internet. My label did not know what shows first single, but the fans decided on MySpace. Now it seems normal, but seven or eight years ago it was not so. It is true that I will always remember one night I went to bed and only 351 people had heard the song. And when I got up in the morning and were 58,000. In that sense has ra-zon. I thought there was a mistake. And from there he went to 320,000!

So, you were ready for fame?

Well, one day you're a 10 year old boy, you kicked out of school, everyone tells you you're a loser and would never do anything and the next year you're singing one opera at the Royal Albert Hall. I was a small boy soprano. But the next year I lost again especially since my voice changed. So I believe in the power of transformation.

You came out of the closet publicly two years ago. Why did you think it was necessary?

I did at one point that came naturally. I am a real person and not a politician. I have no interest in the politics of sexuality and I've always kept my privacy. But I was happy, I had solved many things in my life and I liked the idea of ​​taking something that mystery does not have to have it. It is a personal decision. It took time and I did it my way. If someone does not want to come out, is not the end of the world.

Did it also because we are at an important time in regards to gay rights?

Countries without gay marriage are becoming a rarity, although we still see cases of repression in countries like Russia. There are many people fighting for equality in different ways, people who have sacrificed their lives for the rights of others. When I speak of this in Italy, for example, that, as is known, is not the most open country in the world, I think it humanized the idea of ​​a same-sex union. If two people love each other, how can something bad out there?

In Italy, in fact, said in an interview that he wants to have "a handful of children." Is it a short-term plan?

If I did it now it would be very irresponsible, as you do not buy a dog if you know you're not going to be home. In the future, yes, I have several children. I come from a family of five brothers and I used to live in a happy chaos, I could not raise a child otherwise.

Your family was quite nomadic. Moved from Lebanon to France, then to England ...

I was born immigrant. I do not consider any nationality, maybe European. Of course, I do not like how the British often remind you that you were not born there. That does not happen in America. In the UK they call me 'the Lebanese singer. " What do you mean by that? I studied with the English educational system. I feel more at home in Spain, France or Italy.

Your mother was a seamstress. Why? Fired your interest in fashion?

It helped that I saw as a fashion thing, not really catch me. She worked for major fashion houses and had the suits hanging around in the living room. So we looked the most normal.

You've collaborated with Paul Smith, for example.

For six years also with Louboutin. He began his sports shoes man for me, because I needed some shoes that could dance on stage.

And now living among hotels, is there any garment that can not be separated?

I have a cashmere coat three quarter, made in Savile Row, and the truth is that you can take with him whatever you want, your gym clothes, whatever. With this fantastic coat over you, you're a real dandy. Which I think is very important. A dandy never seem to follow fashion, you can wear Gap, Valentino, whatever, and eventually gets it all work. To me, that is the definition of how a man should dress.

:thumb_yello: Thanks a lot - you've done a great job!! :huglove: I love it,

especially the part where he talks about his new alb. "People who have heard it" etc - which means he has a lot of songs ready for recording - already!! :fisch:

So don't worry about his upcoming booked dates in Europe - haven't we just started this new year !? :teehee:

Love,love

me

If I did it now it would be very irresponsible, as you do not buy a dog if you know you're not going to be home.

Wasn't that exactly what he did?

Thank you for the interview :blush-anim-cl:

Wasn't that exactly what he did?

Thank you for the interview :blush-anim-cl:

I think it's Google translator fault... He once said that he couldn't think about kids right away because he couldn't find time to go home and see his dog. I assume he just said the same here and it got lost in translation...

Thanks for the interview. :thumb_yello:

:blink:

I will rejoice when Greg Wells or Jodi Marr say the songs sound like vintage Mika. Or that they exist at all. :naughty:

I'll just hope for the latter. Last time he said he sounded like himself as a teenager gave us TBWKTM, and to be honest I prefer TOOL to that album.

Great interview! I am a fan who hasn't been worried about the album. The reason is that if it comes out before he does something significant in the UK, it's just going to flop there as he won't get airplay or publicity. In places like France, Spain, or Italy, it doesn't matter how quickly it comes out, it will be a success.

I'm sad to say he's right about Britain. He never seemed to be accepted as one of us, not even at first. There was always this underlying attitude in the media, that he didn't belong, and I'm convinced that this was the reason he didn't win Best Male at The Brits. It went to Mark Ronson, who can't write songs, or sing. He just rearranged them for people like Amy Winehouse, but he won because the alternative was to give it to the foreigner. It is so sad, but, I think, very true. Still, at least he won Best Breakthrough Artist that year (2008)

I'm sad to say he's right about Britain. He never seemed to be accepted as one of us, not even at first. There was always this underlying attitude in the media, that he didn't belong,

That is his own doing. He pitched himself over and over and over - ad nauseam - as being Lebanese and born in Beirut, etc. The media didn't do it. They were his words, his press releases. He wanted to make himself sound exotic and different. And it worked.

He spends so much time flattering other countries and naturally it endears him to the fans and press in those countries. And for exactly the same reason all this moaning about Britain has the exact opposite effect. I know that the British press can be cutting - but that is their way. They didn't invent snark just to attack Mika. It's not like Amy Winehouse et al have not been used as fodder as well. I know it also must have hurt to suddenly lose radio support in 2009 but blaming all of Britain 5 years later is not helping his cause. He is not going to hurt the British media with these spiteful comments. The only people listening now are his fans and it's not going to give them much hope for the future or make them feel as if their support all these years has been appreciated.

That is his own doing. He pitched himself over and over and over - ad nauseam - as being Lebanese and born in Beirut, etc. The media didn't do it. They were his words, his press releases. He wanted to make himself sound exotic and different. And it worked.

He spends so much time flattering other countries and naturally it endears him to the fans and press in those countries. And for exactly the same reason all this moaning about Britain has the exact opposite effect. I know that the British press can be cutting - but that is their way. They didn't invent snark just to attack Mika. It's not like Amy Winehouse et al have not been used as fodder as well. I know it also must have hurt to suddenly lose radio support in 2009 but blaming all of Britain 5 years later is not helping his cause. He is not going to hurt the British media with these spiteful comments. The only people listening now are his fans and it's not going to give them much hope for the future or make them feel as if their support all these years has been appreciated.

This is how I felt when I read this, not wanting to sound a bit over dramatic, but it cut me to the bone.

X Factor Italia/The Voice France notwithstanding, I have been unwaveringly supportive to Mika over the last 7 years, and don't plan on abandoning him anytime soon. But reading that, makes me wonder if he feels the same about us UK fans.

At the afterparty for the Swatch signing here, it felt like he still cared, but when he gives interviews and says things like that, does he think we won't see it, and that it makes us wonder if we should even bother to support him anymore?

Surely he must realise that these interviews get translated and that we can see what's being said. I can imagine that a lot of UK fans here might start feeling under appreciated and wonder if he is going to bother touring here again anytime soon.

He needs to send out a message to the UK fans, so they don't feel like they have been abandoned.

This is how I felt when I read this, not wanting to sound a bit over dramatic, but it cut me to the bone.

X Factor Italia/The Voice France notwithstanding, I have been unwaveringly supportive to Mika over the last 7 years, and don't plan on abandoning him anytime soon. But reading that, makes me wonder if he feels the same about us UK fans.

At the afterparty for the Swatch signing here, it felt like he still cared, but when he gives interviews and says things like that, does he think we won't see it, and that it makes us wonder if we should even bother to support him anymore?

Surely he must realise that these interviews get translated and that we can see what's being said. I can imagine that a lot of UK fans here might start feeling under appreciated and wonder if he is going to bother touring here again anytime soon.

He needs to send out a message to the UK fans, so they don't feel like they have been abandoned.

:thumb_yello:

I've felt this way for a while Rose, and got to the point should I waste my money paying to go to other countries to see him, when he doesn't perform in the UK :sad:

That's how he makes me feel, when I read things like this:(

I've felt abandoned for a long time.

I feel abandoned as a fan as well and I'm not from UK. I think most of fans out of France and Italy feel the same way

Edited by Mikasister

He was not giving the interview for the UK press. The only people that are going to read these translations is a small group die-hard fans (aka us). His favourite country is whatever country he happens to be in at the time. If he ever manages to do an interview in the UK again, I'm sure he'll profess his undying love of the country and his fans there. And given the fact that he still considers his home to be in London, he obviously feels more connected to the UK than to Italy, France, or any other country he might mention.

It's obvious he's frustrated with his lack of success in the UK, but I see a lot more harsh comments about the press on here than I hear coming from his mouth. The only time he really spoke bad about the British press was after he asked if the mic was off, and they said it was (while obviously it wasn't).

I didn't interpret this particular comment as a criticism of the British press, and definitely not his fans. Europe as a whole has not been particularly welcoming to immigrants in the past 12 years, especially if they're from a different culture. Lots of people have been made to feel foreigners in what they had come to consider their own country, and none of them are happy about it. The place where he's going to feel that the most will be the UK, because in all other countries he's primarily seen an international star, rather than an immigrant.

I feel abandoned as a fan as well and I'm not from UK. I think most of fans out of France and Italy feel the same way

Why? He did several festivals, the San Miguel commercial and some promo in Spain last year, he only spent 1 day for the signings in the UK.