From XL Column to a BOOK! Mika's writing career!

robertina

You still have plenty of time to learn Italian...... he did it,you can do it as well! :thumb_yello:

He also had someone coaching him constantly in person, a propensity for learning foreign languages already, and a background with other Romance languages. I'm very good with the English, but anything else... ugh.

I fought with Spanish in college, and couldn't pick up Russian from a Latvian woman who was an opera singer during WW2. Wish I were more skilled in that area!

Did you call? :naughty:

We have an important announcement to do! After the experience with the regular column in the Italian magazine XL, Mika has decided to continue to write, allowing himself a space of his own, very personal and intimate: a book!

Title, format, contents, release date and mode of purchase in Italy and abroad will remain a surprise that you can find only in autumn, when the book will be published by Rizzoli.

For now, we have only Mika's words about it: "This book for me is a very important thing because for the first time I can collect all my thoughts, my story, my music. In a word, my life. This is a big gift that Rizzoli makes me and a great personal pleasure that I want to share with my fans. "

:thumb_yello: WOW - this sounds great!! :blush-anim-cl: MIKA knows that we need this book in English as well - I don't worry about the language here, but thanks to Italy, such a book now will be written/created - another positive result, because of XF, Italy !! ... :teehee::fisch:

Love,love

me

Thanks for posting and translating! So is he collecting his old columns and maybe adding some new or is it going to be like a traditional biography?

Neither of these, imo.

another positive result, because of XF, Italy !!

:hungary: ups sorry

:irish: nope

:italia::winner_first_h4h::italia:

(yeah, I've never cared about italy, but how could I resist? :mf_rosetinted: )

Edited by Elwendin

I'm hoping Mika wrote this in English first, makes sense to me, then having it translated, therefore i hope it will be released in English for a bigger market abroad, can't see anyone being interested in buying a book in a language they can't read or understand,not even Mika fans wou.......:doh: what am i saying, i'm sure this has come out of writing the XL column, as he has been writing for them a lot longer than doing xcaptor :teehee::naughty::fisch:

I can't deal with English for...let me say 13 years :aah::doh: So I'll wait for biography in English :fisch:

You might need to wait for another 13 years :mf_rosetinted:

He also had someone coaching him constantly in person, a propensity for learning foreign languages already, and a background with other Romance languages. I'm very good with the English, but anything else... ugh.

I fought with Spanish in college, and couldn't pick up Russian from a Latvian woman who was an opera singer during WW2. Wish I were more skilled in that area!

That's true,learning foreign languages requires some skills and a lot of practice......maybe you should spend your holiday in Italy,I think this is the best way to find your latin side :wink2:

From a authors view I know how great it feels to publish a book. I have no problem with it, if it is in Italien alsso I will not understand much. However; wish Mika luck and great sucess with it

That's true,learning foreign languages requires some skills and a lot of practice......maybe you should spend your holiday in Italy,I think this is the best way to find your latin side :wink2:

Right now, just getting ready to apply for my passport so I can get to Montreal. I miss the days when my family could just hop the border into Canada. I grew up 100 miles from the border under British Columbia and we used to take day trips up...

You might need to wait for another 13 years :mf_rosetinted:

Perhaps you're right :aah:

I'm spending my holiday in Italy :fisch: Do you think it will help? :aah:

Did you call? :naughty:

We have an important announcement to do! After the experience with the regular column in the Italian magazine XL, Mika has decided to continue to write, allowing himself a space of his own, very personal and intimate: a book!

Title, format, contents, release date and mode of purchase in Italy and abroad will remain a surprise that you can find only in autumn, when the book will be published by Rizzoli.

For now, we have only Mika's words about it: "This book for me is a very important thing because for the first time I can collect all my thoughts, my story, my music. In a word, my life. This is a big gift that Rizzoli makes me and a great personal pleasure that I want to share with my fans. "

It's great that he wants to continue writing. He did so well with the XL column and his articles were so fresh, with unexpected subjects.

He has such a wealth of knowledge about so many subjects, and a way of writing about them that is really exciting.

I'm really happy to read that the book will be available outside of Italy. I'm always sad when Summer is over and it's Autumn again, but this year I'll be happy.

Thank you Mika!

I'm hoping Mika wrote this in English first, makes sense to me, then having it translated, therefore i hope it will be released in English for a bigger market abroad, can't see anyone being interested in buying a book in a language they can't read or understand,not even Mika fans wou.......:doh: what am i saying, i'm sure this has come out of writing the XL column, as he has been writing for them a lot longer than doing xcaptor :teehee::naughty::fisch:

:thumb_yello: That sounds reasonable. And I think this book will be made because of both XL column and XF, and MIKAs increasing popularity, now also as a friend of Dario Fo ...:teehee:

Love,love

me

Right now, just getting ready to apply for my passport so I can get to Montreal. I miss the days when my family could just hop the border into Canada. I grew up 100 miles from the border under British Columbia and we used to take day trips up...

:thumb_yello:

Perhaps you're right :aah:

I'm spending my holiday in Italy :fisch: Do you think it will help? :aah:

:yes:

I'm really very happy about this news!

I liked very much his columns on the XL magazine, and a whole book is a very exciting thing :wub2:

I think Mika totally deserves it :thumb_yello: he's a complete Artist and I imagine it will be something original like him, not a simple autobiography :blush-anim-cl:

I'm really very happy about this news!

I liked very much his columns on the XL magazine, and a whole book is a very exciting thing :wub2:

I think Mika totally deserves it :thumb_yello: he's a complete Artist and I imagine it will be something original like him, not a simple autobiography :blush-anim-cl:

Totally agree! I loved reading his column and have missed it very much ever since XL went out of print. Now to have a whole book written by him is super exciting! This book is going to be something like a treasure for me, so much looking forward to reading it:wub2:

I was re-reading some of his articles on XL a couple of days ago and saw this:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3969017&postcount=531

xl3.png

He says:

Domanda: Che fine faranno i pezzi della tua rubrica "Pop Up"? Li riunirai tutti insieme?

Mika: Voglio raccoglierli in un libro, ma vorrei riscriverli, come se il volume fosse una mappa del mio corpo…. Vorrei mettere ogni mio articolo finito su "XL", in relazione con una parte del mio corpo e raccontare così la mia storia. E' un'idea stramba a cui sto lavorando.Vedremo se funziona.

Translation

Question: What will happen to (/what will become of) the articles of your column "Pop Up"?Will you bring them all together?

Mika: I want to collect them in a book, but I would like to rewrite them, as if the volume is a map of my body.... I would like to put every my article ended up on "XL", in relation to a part of my body and thus (in this way) tell my own story.It’s some crazy (odd/bizarre) idea I'm working on. We'll see if it works.

I don't know about the map of his body :teehee:, but is it possible that his book (will) be something like that?

I was re-reading some of his articles on XL a couple of days ago and saw this:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3969017&postcount=531

xl3.png

He says:

Domanda: Che fine faranno i pezzi della tua rubrica "Pop Up"? Li riunirai tutti insieme?

Mika: Voglio raccoglierli in un libro, ma vorrei riscriverli, come se il volume fosse una mappa del mio corpo…. Vorrei mettere ogni mio articolo finito su "XL", in relazione con una parte del mio corpo e raccontare così la mia storia. E' un'idea stramba a cui sto lavorando.Vedremo se funziona.

Translation

Question: What will happen to (/what will become of) the articles of your column "Pop Up"?Will you bring them all together?

Mika: I want to collect them in a book, but I would like to rewrite them, as if the volume is a map of my body.... I would like to put every my article ended up on "XL", in relation to a part of my body and thus (in this way) tell my own story.It’s some crazy (odd/bizarre) idea I'm working on. We'll see if it works.

I don't know about the map of his body :teehee:, but is it possible that his book (will) be something like that?

I wouldn't be surprised. I vaguely recalled that he had said something about putting the columns into a book but couldn't remember where I'd seen it. When I couldn't find it, I thought maybe I'd dreamed it. :naughty: Anyhow, glad you found this, and like I said I wouldn't be surprised at all if the book is a re-working of at least some of the XL columns.

I wouldn't be surprised. I vaguely recalled that he had said something about putting the columns into a book but couldn't remember where I'd seen it. When I couldn't find it, I thought maybe I'd dreamed it. :naughty: Anyhow, glad you found this, and like I said I wouldn't be surprised at all if the book is a re-working of at least some of the XL columns.

I could remember he had said something like this too, that's why I asked it a bit earlier, but I couldn't remember where I read it either. I like this idea, hoping he will write some new bits as well (in case this is happening) :thumb_yello: I'm more interested in him writing than someone else writing about him.

Pity (for me) that they'll all be in Italian

It's a pity for all us foreigners of course. He wrote the columns originally in English so maybe there will be an English version at some point later :dunno: Probably not planned now though as they country tag updates for Italy.

These words make me think to the "Journal D'un Corps", by Daniel Pennac (in italian "Diario di un corpo", in english "Diary of a body"), a book based on the life of the writer seen only through his body perceptions, since when he was 12 years old till his death. Who knows... :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Marta.

:thumb_yello: WOW - this sounds great!! :blush-anim-cl: MIKA knows that we need this book in English as well - I don't worry about the language here, but thanks to Italy, such a book now will be written/created - another positive result, because of XF, Italy !! ... :teehee::fisch:

Love,love

me

Never thought I'd agree with that sentence but :trumpet: YES IT IS

Woot! I'm going to Italy! And Chris is paying! Wahooooooo!

... wait, what? You're not?

LOL

It's a pity for all us foreigners of course. He wrote the columns originally in English so maybe there will be an English version at some point later :dunno: Probably not planned now though as they country tag updates for Italy.

Is it really, REALLY sad that I'll probably still buy it :blush-anim-cl: - some time in 2020, I imagine, knowing Mika :naughty:

These words make me think to the "Journal D'un Corps", by Daniel Pennac (in italian "Diario di un corpo", in english "Diary of a body"), a book based on the life of the writer seen only through his body perceptions, since when he was 12 years old till his death. Who knows... :mf_rosetinted:

Hmmmm. Don't know whether I'm more pleased that Mika's book might make sense after all, or disappointed that the, um, eccentric, idea isn't his

Edited by Soaring Simpson

• 2 months later...

Allegedly, the book title seems to be "From Mika to Mika".

From Hoepli online library:

http://www.hoepli.it/libro/from-mika-to-mika/9788817077378.html

It's also listed in several other online bookstores with the same title.

FROM MIKA TO MIKA

Forthcoming publishing

Publisher's note:

Thoughts, drawings and aspirations of an eccentric and all-round artist, much loved by the Italian public, not only for his songs.

Preface:

"Dear Mika, even though you are 80 and I have no idea where you will be when you read this letter, I just hope you are still weird".

This is the incipit of the series of 18 letters, observations, reflections that Mika decided to collect for the first time in an autobiographical book, as the message in a bottle for himself and anyone who's willing to read it. It all started when Mika had a column on " La Repubblica XL", where he dealt with various topics in a profound and light way at once, just like he is. A collection embellished with artwork by him and his sister (who goes by the pen name DaWack) to discover Mika's world: fresh, witty, at times bitter, just like life is.

Edited by Log lady