PRIDE 2021

dcdeb

new-pride-flag-01.jpg

As you may already know, "PRIDE" is a term used to promote the self-affirmation, dignity, equality, and increased visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) people as a social group. Every year, many cities and countries set aside a period of time to observe and promote Pride, with parades and other events designed to recognize the impact LGBTQ+ people have had in the world. Pride month celebrations take place at different times around the world, but many countries celebrate it in June to commemorate the 1969 Stonewall riots in New York City, a pivotal moment in modern LGBTQ+ social movements.

Today is June 1, 2021, marking the first year that Mika Fan Club will be observing Pride Month, with an eye to amplifying the voices of our LGBTQ+ members.

While we plan to celebrate Pride all month, we're designating next week, June 6 through June 12, as MFC Pride Week, and will have a number of special activities. Among the highlights will be a few competitions and giveaways, and a PRIDE-themed edition of our weekly Mika Fan Club Instagram Live.

If you'd like to participate in MFC's Pride celebration, there are a number of things you can do. For our LGBTQ+ members: if you have a story about how Mika/his music has affected you -- perhaps he's inspired or uplifted you in some way, is part of your coming out story, or possibly just helps you celebrate in your daily life -- please share that with us either here in this thread or on Instagram with the hashtag #MFCPride, and we will share those stories on social media. Additionally, if you are an LGBTQ+ musician or performer who would be interested in performing a short piece for the MFC Insta Live, please let us know. For everyone: if the idea of Pride inspires you to create art of some kind, please share that with us on social media with the hashtag #MFCPride and we'll repost you. And when we say "art" we don't just mean drawing or painting -- it could be photography, dance, poetry, music... you get the idea.

Throughout the week, we'll also share some useful resources for LGBTQ+ members and allies.

167355721_742741063039423_6970103362387925613_n.jpg

• Like 17

• dcdeb changed the title to PRIDE 2021
7 hours ago, dcdeb said:

1969 Stonewall riots in New York City, a pivotal moment in modern LGBTQ+ society 

Yay Pride is finally here! 🎉  A lot of my friends do actually refer to it as Riot Month 😅

I hope MFCers and Mika fans all like what we're doing and get involved with our Pride events! 

Really hoped that my Pride flags would have turned up by now but I'm still waiting for them... :(

🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍⚧️  🌈  🏳 ❤🧡💛💚💙💙💜🤎🖤

• Like 7

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPloTGxlWVE/

mikainstagram

A very happy Pride month to everyone! Tune in TODAY June 1st 8pm EST for the
thestonewallinnsafespacesconcert.com

I can honestly tell you that LGBTQ venues have provided me with a safe haven during my adulthood and adolescence. Without them, life would have felt very different. This is why I will be doing a reading tonight and am so happy to kick off Pride month with @thestonewallinn and take part in this amazing star packed event. This event is a fundraiser benefitting six LGBTQ safe spaces through the USA as they physically reopen and recover from the COVID’19 pandemic.

More info on @thestonewallinn insta page!

#safespaces #sigbisafespaces #fundraiser #lgbtq #pridekickoff #wherepridebegan #stonewall #thestonewallinn @newnownext @logotv

195149005_595460251378722_929014007898555786_n.jpg

194755854_982283489184330_2610941793584356308_n.jpg

194814042_118221340382661_288185833739924990_n.jpg

195218295_331407598487828_1925120942427212560_n.jpg

194210859_540030964044241_4805695338367681365_n.jpg

• Like 5

YouTube

#StonewallGivesBack

The Stonewall Inn Safe Spaces Concert, Presented By Logo

Happy Pride! Tonight’s #StonewallGivesBack concert is The Stonewall Inn’s official PRIDE kick-off, benefiting The Stonewall Inn Gives Back Initiative’s Safe Spaces Community Partners, which are LGBTQA+ Centers in select areas across the country.

GoFundMe (Donations) Link: https://gofund.me/4bfd597e
The Community Partners who will be helping build out The Stonewall Inn Gives Back Initiative Safe Spaces designation process across the country are: * The Borderland Rainbow Center, El Paso, Texas * Just Us at Oasis Center, Nashville, Tennessee * The Magic City Acceptance Center, Birmingham, Alabama * The Gulf Coast Equality Council, Gulfport/Biloxi, Mississippi * The Utah Pride Center, Salt Lake City * Kansas City Center for Inclusion, Kansas City, MO All proceeds from the event will go to helping raise funds and awareness for Community Partner LGBTQA+ centers and safe spaces as they reopen physically.

Connect with Logo TV:
Instagram LogoTV: http://instagram.com/LogoTV
Follow Logo TV: https://twitter.com/LogoTV
News from Logo TV: http://www.NewNowNext.com
Like Logo TV: http://facebook.com/Logo
LogoTV's Official Site: https://www.logotv.com
Logo is a television and entertainment brand inspired by and for the LGBTQ+ community, and a leading voice when it comes to representation, equality and justice. From entertainment to activism, Logo features one-of-a-kind personalities, shows, specials, and stories with a distinctly queer lens.

FACEBOOK

• Like 2

@PerezHilton chatting on YouTube,

he mentions Mika.

AAUvwni_3zoVJaNV4J8L5fHsYqgugU-f7Ia8kQLw
Perez Hilton And Family
I'm so honored to be a part of this! The Stonewall Inn has been such an important part of my life! From living across the street at 160 Waverly Place while I was a college student at NYU until today!

So excited for Mika too

He's STILL popular

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the screenshot.
404605747_(83).thumb.jpg.60f723edfdda9ad6dbc455495dba9c55.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3

I'll be in bed when this is on 😅, if someone does watch this live could you please share the time when Mika appears? 

Hopefully I can catch up tomorrow.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I appreciate what Mika has done but it's a shame he didn't sing anything for this 🙁

Still want him to notice MFC Pride though... :fisch:

Maybe he will when there will be the Pride Week. :pray:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, krysady said:

I think he will, you'll see :)

Having never met Mika, I really just want him to notice me if I'm honest! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Having never met Mika, I really just want him to notice me if I'm honest! 😄

If we assume that Mika visits the forum here and there, he has known you for a while by now. :wink2:

• Like 3

3 minuten geleden, holdingyourdrink zei:

Ik denk dat dit de (niet zo geheime) wens van elke fan is :knipoog2: 

You are right 💙💙💙💙 :mikalove:we are certainly not the only ones with this wish....💙🏳️‍🌈💙🏳️‍🌈

• Like 2

Don't you think the video belongs here?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPodJfOhbsA/

mikainstagram

Indeed x Pride

There’s nothing more important than the ability to feel like you can show up and be your true self at work and with colleagues, which is why I’m joining @Indeedworks this year, in celebration of #Pride, and in pursuit of a more empathetic workplace where you can be you. #SoundtrackOfEmpathy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Presci1108 said:

Maybe he will when there will be the Pride Week. :pray:

3 hours ago, krysady said:

I think he will, you'll see :)

You're both a little more optimistic than I am, but you never know! :making-a-wish:

1 hour ago, Mikasister said:

Don't you think the video belongs here?

Well, the thread was supposed to be about the MFC's celebration of Pride Month, but OK, I guess we'll allow Mika to intrude a bit.

:lol3:

So I also wanted to post a few things here that I've been watching/reading to start off this Pride Month - thought others might be interested.

It's a Sin on HBO: I just finished watching this series featuring Olly Alexander from the band Years and Years, and it just about broke my heart. Having lived through the "'80s AIDS epidemic" and losing several dear friends to this at-the-time always fatal disease, it dredged up a lot of memories. It's so worth the time to watch it, though.

Final season of POSE on Netflix: This coming Sunday is the final episode, in fact, and I know I'm going to be devastated. I have known or still know many of these characters in real life -- that is to say, people like the fictional characters portrayed here. People who have lost their jobs, their homes, their families, just because of who they love, how they behave, how they dress... The 1980s and '90s probably seem like ancient history to many of you younger fans, but when I think back on how it WAS vs how it IS now, times really have changed. Even though yes, progress is slow, and things could always be better.

PFLAG: https://pflag.org/WhatMakesPride

PFLAG (originally Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) is one of the first LGBTQ+ organizations that I became aware of, way back in the 1980s. Over the years, I've had a number of friends who worked for PFLAG and the work they have done and continue to do is amazing. This year, they've produced a special series called What Makes Pride, "dedicated to uplifting the work and lives--and sharing the stories--of LGBTQ+ BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) people, communities, and grassroots organizations." There are 5 episodes, one debuting on every Tuesday during June on PFLAG's YouTube and Facebook accounts.  The episodes cover:

JUNE 1 | BIPOC Pride
JUNE 8 | Housing Justice
JUNE 15 | Incarceration 
JUNE 22 | Community 
JUNE 29 | BIPOC Families of LGBTQ+ People 

Finally, I just read through this: https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/996319297/gender-identity-pronouns-expression-guide-lgbtq

Trying to get a better handle on all of that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

It's a Sin on HBO: I just finished watching this series featuring Olly Alexander from the band Years and Years, and it just about broke my heart. Having lived through the "'80s AIDS epidemic" and losing several dear friends to this at-the-time always fatal disease, it dredged up a lot of memories. It's so worth the time to watch it, though.

I also finished to watch this mini-series a couple weeks ago, and I may add the movie Tucked on HBO as well, I really liked it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I'm so pleased that this is available in the US. Not ashamed to say that I cried, I cried a lot... 😥

I really like the look of Pose, definitely something I would watch, once I get time I'll probably check that out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

You're both a little more optimistic than I am, but you never know! :making-a-wish:

Well, the thread was supposed to be about the MFC's celebration of Pride Month, but OK, I guess we'll allow Mika to intrude a bit.

:lol3:

So I also wanted to post a few things here that I've been watching/reading to start off this Pride Month - thought others might be interested.

Final season of POSE on Netflix: This coming Sunday is the final episode, in fact, and I know I'm going to be devastated. I have known or still know many of these characters in real life -- that is to say, people like the fictional characters portrayed here. People who have lost their jobs, their homes, their families, just because of who they love, how they behave, how they dress... The 1980s and '90s probably seem like ancient history to many of you younger fans, but when I think back on how it WAS vs how it IS now, times really have changed. Even though yes, progress is slow, and things could always be better.

PFLAG: https://pflag.org/WhatMakesPride

PFLAG (originally Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) is one of the first LGBTQ+ organizations that I became aware of, way back in the 1980s. Over the years, I've had a number of friends who worked for PFLAG and the work they have done and continue to do is amazing. This year, they've produced a special series called What Makes Pride, "dedicated to uplifting the work and lives--and sharing the stories--of LGBTQ+ BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color) people, communities, and grassroots organizations." There are 5 episodes, one debuting on every Tuesday during June on PFLAG's YouTube and Facebook accounts.  The episodes cover:

JUNE 1 | BIPOC Pride
JUNE 8 | Housing Justice
JUNE 15 | Incarceration 
JUNE 22 | Community 
JUNE 29 | BIPOC Families of LGBTQ+ People 

Finally, I just read through this: https://www.npr.org/2021/06/02/996319297/gender-identity-pronouns-expression-guide-lgbtq

Trying to get a better handle on all of that.

Thank you for the suggestions! I actually only have surface level knowledge of the aids crisis and in general of queer history and what it was like to be lgbt in the past century (which is bad i want to learn more, so I will be checking this out 😊. I wish things like this were discussed more in school also! It's an important part of history and it might also help make people understand why we still have Pride and why there is no such thing as "straight pride" etc. (because somehow people still ask that question every year 🙄) and why it's so important to have a month like this

• Like 3

Deb, your documents and series's suggestions are really interesting ! :thumb_yello: I already checked some, and I will probably continue when I have some time. 

Edited by Presci1108
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 10:53 PM, Kumazzz said:

@PerezHilton chatting on YouTube,

he mentions Mika.

AAUvwni_3zoVJaNV4J8L5fHsYqgugU-f7Ia8kQLw
Perez Hilton And Family
I'm so honored to be a part of this! The Stonewall Inn has been such an important part of my life! From living across the street at 160 Waverly Place while I was a college student at NYU until today!

So excited for Mika too

He's STILL popular

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the screenshot.
404605747_(83).thumb.jpg.60f723edfdda9ad6dbc455495dba9c55.jpg

I'm a little bit late but i feel like this might be a good moment to address how extremely problematic Perez Hilton is. He made a career out of trying to out lgbt celebrities and somehow thought that was his "right" as a fellow gay man. He would often literally harass them and even said people who stayed in the closet contributed to the stigmatisation of gay people, which is ridiculous. Anyone has the right to come out at their own pace and when they are ready for it, just like Mika did. Perez has even been asked why he didn't out Mika and he said he tried to, but "didn't have to repeat his sexuality everytime". I think the only reason he didn't do it was because he and Mika became friends. And, to be honest, i will always wonder if the reason Mika became friends with him was so that he would not be outed by that trashbag. Cause be honest, how often have we seen them together after 2012? Perez still regularly mentions Mika, but i dont see him reacting to it much and i get the impression that their "friendship" cooled down quite a bit and is largely one sided at this point. Anyway, i could bring up all the other stuff he has done, making mysoginistic comments about women, harassing a teenage girl on Tiktok, etc. but I feel like the witch hunt on gay celebrities alone should be enough reason to keep him away from Pride events like this Stonewall thing. If there is anyone who has created an UNSAFE space for gay people, rather than a safe space, it's him. 

I also really wish we as Mika fans would stop putting him on a pedestal just because he is the only American media person who still seems to care about Mika. He doesn't deserve our attention, he doesn't deserve anyone's attention. He is past his due date, has been for years and should have been left in 2012 or so in my opinion. 

Edited by Jaela
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Jaela said:

I also really wish we as Mika fans would stop putting him on a pedestal just because he is the only American media person who still seems to care about Mika. He doesn't deserve our attention, he doesn't deserve anyone's attention. He is past his due date, has been for years and should have been left in 2012 or so in my opinion. 

Finally someone said it! Say it louder Jae! 📣

I was actually annoyed when I saw him commenting on the Stonewall concert video the other day 😡

• Like 4