Mika in other international press - 2023

Kumazzz

Australia :aussie:

NINE com.AU

Today Extra

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/videos/entertainment/pop-star-mika-sits-down-with-today-extra/clnayakon007j0jqb07fgld1f

4 October 2023

Facebook Video https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=851840369639742

Pop star Mika sits down with Today Extra

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/mika-cest-la-vie-new-music-french-and-english-album-chat-with-richard-wilkins/85466188-e1ae-44d8-b169-b47456f62f32

Dickie's Aussie terminology leaves Mika blushing

A recent chat with Dickie had one of the most prolific pop musicians of the 21st century second-guess what he was hearing out of the Nine entertainment editor's mouth.

Mika has been a regular on radio and streaming platforms for the past 16 years, ever since his number one banger Grace Kelly hit the airwaves.

And to celebrate turning 40 recently, the singer has a new song, Cest la Vie out, and not one, but two new albums on the way.

He joined Dickie on Today Extra to talk about the milestone.

"It's funny because if I said turning 40 didn't mean anything, I'd just be lying to you," Mika told Dickie.

"Two years ago I thought I really want to get into my 40s furiously creative and a little scared - not scared because of getting older but scared because I'm taking risks like I would in my 20s."

But when Dickie assured Mika he would enjoy being in his 40s, that's when things got a little lost in translation.

"Take it from someone with a few more miles on the speedo, your 40s are a time to be enjoyed, I urge you to embrace it," Dickie said.

Mika was all for it, saying he just hoped "life doesn't throw me any curveballs along the way".

But he did ask Dickie if he meant actually wearing speedos, the popular swimwear.

"Speedo means speedometer, we abbreviate everything in Australia," Dickie clarified, with his guest bursting out laughing.

"Oh, I thought you meant swimming more miles in your speedos," Mika laughed.

"There I was visualising you swimming across the Pacific in your speedos."

But Dickie assured Mika he is more of a boardies (or boardshorts) kind of guy.

Cest la Vie is available on streaming platforms now and Mika's two as-yet-untitled albums will be out later this year. 

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

NINE com.AU

Today Extra

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/videos/entertainment/pop-star-mika-sits-down-with-today-extra/clnayakon007j0jqb07fgld1f

4 October 2023

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/mika-cest-la-vie-new-music-french-and-english-album-chat-with-richard-wilkins/85466188-e1ae-44d8-b169-b47456f62f32

A recent chat with Dickie had one of the most prolific pop musicians of the 21st century second-guess what he was hearing out of the Nine entertainment editor's mouth.

Mika has been a regular on radio and streaming platforms for the past 16 years, ever since his number one banger Grace Kelly hit the airwaves.

And to celebrate turning 40 recently, the singer has a new song, Cest la Vie out, and not one, but two new albums on the way.

"It's funny because if I said turning 40 didn't mean anything, I'd just be lying to you," Mika told Dickie.

"Two years ago I thought I really want to get into my 40s furiously creative and a little scared - not scared because of getting older but scared because I'm taking risks like I would in my 20s."

But when Dickie assured Mika he would enjoy being in his 40s, that's when things got a little lost in translation.

"Take it from someone with a few more miles on the speedo, your 40s are a time to be enjoyed, I urge you to embrace it," Dickie said.

Mika was all for it, saying he just hoped "life doesn't throw me any curveballs along the way".

But he did ask Dickie if he meant actually wearing speedos, the popular swimwear.

"Speedo means speedometer, we abbreviate everything in Australia," Dickie clarified, with his guest bursting out laughing.

Cest la Vie is available on streaming platforms now and Mika's two as-yet-untitled albums will be out later this year. 

Is Mika perhaps heading to Australia next year?

• Like 1

NINE com.AU

Today Extra

4 October 2023

I'm intrigued by the description of the English album: "crazy, art-pop (?), experimental, super-joyous and anarchic record."

• Like 2

I know he's talking to Dickie here:

But Mika in speedos, now there's something I can visualise too! :teehee:

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I know he's talking to Dickie here:

But Mika in speedos, now there's something I can visualise too! :teehee:

I think he once said in an interview years ago that he doesn't wear speedos because it's too much information. :naughty: It's only thanks to that interview that I even know what speedos are, lol! :lol3:

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Haha! This is the first time I hear him speak French with an English pronunciation, usually he speaks English with a French pronunciation when doing a French interview :lol3:

Haha, when I heard that, my first thought was "why does his French suddenly sound as bad as mine?!"  :lmfao:

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, mellody said:

I think he once said in an interview years ago that he doesn't wear speedos because it's too much information. :naughty: It's only thanks to that interview that I even know what speedos are, lol! :lol3:

Which means we will never see him swimming in Belgian pools. Speedos are mandatory there :facepalm:

• Confused 2

Just now, holdingyourdrink said:

Which means we will never see him swimming in Belgian pools. Speedos are mandatory there :facepalm:

Really? They have rules what kind of swimming trousers you have to wear?! :shocked: Well, he can use a ball pool instead, as in that Belgian interview from 2019. :teehee:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mellody said:

Really? They have rules what kind of swimming trousers you have to wear?! :shocked: Well, he can use a ball pool instead, as in that Belgian interview from 2019. :teehee:

Yes, it’s a hygiene measurement. But I believe very tight shorts are also allowed. They also give too much information, though :facepalm: 

Either way, I have no desire to see anyone in speedos, not even Mika (sorry @TinyLove_CJ)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Either way, I have no desire to see anyone in speedos, not even Mika (sorry @TinyLove_CJ)

Thinking about it now, it might be a bit much! I'd rather see Mika in a ball pool, at least that way I can join in too! :biggrin2:

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Yes, it’s a hygiene measurement. But I believe very tight shorts are also allowed. They also give too much information, though :facepalm: 

44 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Thinking about it now, it might be a bit much! I'd rather see Mika in a ball pool, at least that way I can join in too! :biggrin2:

Hmm, why couldn't you join in a swimming pool? There's usually more space than in a ball pool. :teehee: I don't mind either pool and either swimwear... generally I'd agree that speedos might be too much information, but as long as Mika feels comfortable about it, I won't complain. :dunno_grin: I don't know how he thinks about it meanwhile for himself, but at least it seems he can imagine the presenter in speedos, swimming through the pacific. :lmfao:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SusanT said:

I'm intrigued by the description of the English album: "crazy, art-pop (?), experimental, super-joyous and anarchic record."

Maybe Mika said "alt-pop."

I also find it interesting that he says he'd also like to do TV in Australia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SusanT said:

I'm intrigued by the fact that he's doing press / media in Australia! :huh:

1 hour ago, SusanT said:

Maybe Mika said "alt-pop."

I also find it interesting that he says he'd also like to do TV in Australia.

I listened again and I'm pretty sure he said "art pop". :thumb_yello:

I'm kinda over him doing TV anywhere, but at least in Australia I wouldn't have to work that hard to understand it.

I find it interesting that the article said BOTH albums are due out later this year. :pray:

• Like 6

8 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

This is the first time I hear him speak French with an English pronunciation, usually he speaks English with a French pronunciation when doing a French interview

My thoughts exactly!! I think he was making fun of the interviewer possibly because of that strange question about why he didn't make the music video for c'est la vie one big french stereotype.

I love how he dragged Emily in Paris in his response to that though saying that show does it enough :D

Edited by CharlotteL
"C'est la view"??
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I'm kinda over him doing TV anywhere

Yup, this. :mf_rosetinted: I just thought the other day how wonderful it was in 2019 when he said he'll stop doing TV and will focus on the music. :wub2: It was like him saying "I'm here for you" - tho it's probably not what he meant, he just does what he feels like doing... but it felt that way. I don't have the feeling that his head can bloom when he's doing TV (at least not in those casting formats like The Voice or Xfactor). But well, it's good promo and probably helps him to finance his crazy ideas - and maybe even the affordable concert tickets. Can't blame him for maybe wanting to spend the 2024 winter in Australia, it's warmer there, lol! But as I just said on the live, he doesn't seem to be aware that a day has only 24 hours. :teehee:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Czech music website informing about Mika's new French album:

https://musicserver.cz/clanek/72144/mika-nahral-sve-prvni-francouzsky-zpivane-album/

They are also mentioning Mêlée des Chœurs and the Rugby World Cup performance. 

(Although it's a bit of a stretch to write that besides English, French and Italian, he also speaks Spanish... :teehee:)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

IRELAND

:irish:

Found an album review in Irish press, they say nice things!

Album review: Mika blooms in French with Que ta Tête Fleurisse Toujours (irishexaminer.com)

Mika broke through in 2007, but his new album suggests there's still life in his music career 
FRI, 01 DEC, 2023 - 02:00
ED POWER
  • Mika
  • Que ta Tête Fleurisse Toujours
  • ★★★★☆

It’s 16 years since Mika exploded onto the pop landscape with his diligently playful chart-topping debut Life In Cartoon Motion. He went on to release a string of albums – but his recent prominence is partly owed to a performance at the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony in France and to his hosting of the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest in Turin.

Some of that Eurovision pizazz has rubbed off on the artist born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr, whose latest LP – his first entirely in French – brims with Europop exuberance. 

That it isn’t in English might be off-putting to some – yet Que ta tête fleurisse toujours (“May Your Head Always Bloom”) is one of the catchiest things he’s ever done, as underscored from the start with the techno-Abba throb of opener 'Bougez'.

It’s a twinkle-toed scene-setter for a record which rarely allows the pace to drop. Mika dabbles with tasteful Euro-trance on Jane Birkin while a starry-eyed restlessness fuels Apocalypse Calypso.

Mika was born in Lebanon, was largely raised in Paris, and is at home singing in French. He has also had his ups and downs. The success of Life In Cartoon Motion was overwhelming, and for several years, he struggled to push forward with the second act of his career.

“When you tour as much as I do, the writer in you dies. My first album was massive. The second album was much harder to push. I promoted it in person,’ he said in 2012 when he sounded ready to throw in the towel. “It came at a price. I was spent. That s**t doesn’t come for nothing.” 

But he seems to have come back around to the idea of being a pop star. He also embraced a variety of styles on the new project: 'Moi Andy et Paris', for instance, dabbles in glossy folk, while 'Touche Touche' is an enjoyably slick bopper. 

A solid return ends on a downbeat note with the plaintive 'Passager '– a reminder there’s more to Mika than pomp and ceremony.

Edited by kreacher
Forgot the flag!
  • Thanks 2

🇬🇷 Greece

postmelody.gr - Μουσικά Νέα

Ο MIKA ανθίζει ξανά – Μία πολύχρωμη pop μεταμόρφωση στη γλώσσα της καρδιάς του

Με μυαλό ανοιχτό και καρδιά ανθισμένη – Το πιο προσωπικό άλμπουμ του MIKA

Ο MIKA κυκλοφορεί το πρώτο γαλλόφωνο άλμπουμ της καριέρας του, με τίτλο «Que ta tête fleurisse toujours».

Ο γεννημένος στη Βηρυτό καλλιτέχνης πέρασε τους τελευταίους μήνες γράφοντας και κάνοντας την παραγωγή του άλμπουμ με νέους εκπροσώπους της γαλλικής σκηνής. Αυτή η απελευθερωτική εμπειρία απέδωσε ένα εκπληκτικό αποτέλεσμα.

Σε ηλικία 40 ετών, ο MIKA πήρε το ρίσκο να ξεκινήσει από το μηδέν και αποφάσισε ότι το έκτο άλμπουμ του θα είναι η πρώτη του κυκλοφορία εξ ολοκλήρου στη γαλλική γλώσσα.

Καθώς μεγάλωσε στο Παρίσι, μεταξύ άλλων, ο MIKA δίνει μία οικουμενική διάσταση στη γαλλική γλώσσα στο νέο άλμπουμ του.

Για τον ίδιο, έγινε το κλειδί για να μιλήσει για την οικειότητά του και του επέτρεψε επίσης να αλλάξει τη στάση του απέναντι στη μουσική. Ο MIKA αντιμετωπίζει τους φόβους του χωρίς αναστολές και τους παρουσιάζει σε όλο το φως τους.

Ο έρωτας, το σεξ, η ηλικία, ο θάνατος – τραγουδάει για όλα αυτά, ενώ χορεύει προς έκπληξή του. Τα συναισθηματικά πυροτεχνήματα της πολύχρωμης pop μουσικής του, σε συνδυασμό με την αισθησιακή αλλά και ταυτόχρονα ανθρώπινη ποίησή του, επιστρέφουν στο νέο άλμπουμ του.

Το επιτυχημένο μείγμα της pop μουσικής των δεκαετιών του ’80 και του ’90 και του γαλλικού chanson εναρμονίζεται απόλυτα με τους ειλικρινείς στίχους, οι οποίοι προσκαλούν τον ακροατή να κάνει μία μικρή αυτοκριτική.

«Είναι ένα δώρο γενεθλίων. Ένα μυαλό σε πλήρη άνθιση δημιουργικότητας που εκφράζει την κληρονομιά του με τη χαρακτηριστική φράση: “Είθε το μυαλό σου να ανθίζει πάντα”», σχολιάζει ο MIKA.

Ο MIKA εμπνεύστηκε το θέμα της αναγέννησης και τον τίτλο του νέου άλμπουμ του από ένα σχέδιο και τα λόγια που του είχε στείλει η μητέρα του λίγο πριν από τον θάνατό της. Ο MIKA γράφει και συνθέτει μουσική με ανοιχτή καρδιά, δεν υπάρχουν ταμπού γι’ αυτόν.

Στο άλμπουμ, το οποίο είναι ένα μήνυμα αγάπης προς τη μητέρα του και μία ωδή στο πέρασμα του χρόνου, ανοίγεται σε νέους ορίζοντες, αναζητώντας τη χαρά σε θλιβερές συνθήκες.

Ο MIKA – άγγελος ή διάβολος, γιορτάζει στο «Apocalypse Calypso». Αναζητώντας σώματα που καίγονται από πόθο, χορεύει μέχρι το ξημέρωμα στο «Sweetie Banana» και τους εκπληκτικούς ρυθμούς του.

Στο «30 Seconds» μιλάει για τις στιγμές που όλα εκρήγνυνται. Αγγίζει το θέμα του ρίσκου, του κεραυνοβόλου έρωτα που χτυπάει χωρίς προειδοποίηση και μίας επιλογής που αλλάζει το πεπρωμένο σου και σε δεσμεύει σε μία σχέση για το υπόλοιπο της ζωής σου.

Στο «Je sais que je t’aime», ιχνηλατεί την ομορφιά του πάθους στα απομεινάρια μίας ζωής για δύο.

Στο «Moi, Andy et Paris», είναι ειλικρινής όσο ποτέ για την ερωτική σχέση του με τον σύντροφό του επί 18 χρόνια. Στην πόλη του έρωτα, τα συναισθήματα κυριαρχούν και κάνουν τους καβγάδες παρελθόν: Στο Παρίσι.

Το πνεύμα της Jane Birkin, η κομψότητα, η ελευθερία και η μοναδικότητά της πλανώνται σε ολόκληρο το άλμπουμ. Με μία ωδή στη βρετανική προφορά της, ο MIKA αποτίει φόρο τιμής στην καλλιτέχνιδα σε ένα τραγούδι με τον λιτό τίτλο «Jane Birkin», που γράφτηκε πριν από τον θάνατό της.

Το «Bogues» είναι ένα ειρωνικό μανιφέστο ενάντια στην τιμωρία της απόλαυσης και τις παράδοξες επιταγές της καταναλωτικής κοινωνίας. Ο MIKA καλεί σε αντίσταση σε αυτούς τους τυποποιημένους, συγκρατημένους καιρούς. Ίσως να εκδικείται έναν κακοποιητικό δάσκαλο που τον έδεσε σε μία καρέκλα.

Ο MIKA ζει πολλές ζωές, μιλάει πολλές γλώσσες, έχει πολλά διαβατήρια και ανήκει σε πολλούς τόπους.

Οι πολλές ταυτότητες του καλλιτέχνη και η δίψα του για ανακάλυψη, η ανικανοποίητη περιέργειά του και η φρενήρης ενέργεια που τον ταξιδεύει σε όλο τον κόσμο έγιναν η έμπνευση για το «Passager», μία αναφορά στον Georges Moustaki.

Το «Que ta tête fleurisse toujours» είναι μία προσευχή και ένα κάλεσμα στη δημιουργία, δείχνοντάς μας για άλλη μία φορά ότι ο MIKA δεν σταματά ποτέ να ανθίζει.

:uk: Google translator

Spoiler

MIKA blooms again – A colorful pop transformation in the language of his heart

With an open mind and a blooming heart – MIKA's most personal album

MIKA releases the first French-language album of his career, entitled "Que ta tête fleurisse toujours".

The Beirut-born artist spent the last few months writing and producing the album with young representatives of the French scene. This liberating experience yielded a surprising result.

At the age of 40, MIKA took the risk of starting from scratch and decided that his sixth album would be his first release entirely in the French language.

Having grown up in Paris, among other places, MIKA gives a universal dimension to the French language in his new album.

For him, it became the key to talk about his intimacy and also allowed him to change his attitude towards music. MIKA faces his fears without inhibitions and presents them in all their light.

Love, sex, age, death – he sings about it all while dancing to his surprise. The emotional fireworks of his colorful pop music, combined with his sensual yet human poetry, return on his new album.

The successful mix of pop music from the 80s and 90s and French chanson harmonizes perfectly with the honest lyrics, which invite the listener to do a little self-criticism.

“It's a birthday present. A mind in full bloom of creativity that expresses its legacy with the signature phrase: "May your mind always bloom," comments MIKA.

MIKA was inspired by the theme of rebirth and the title of his new album from a drawing and words sent to him by his mother shortly before her death. MIKA writes and composes music with an open heart, there are no taboos for him.

In the album, which is a message of love to his mother and an ode to the passage of time, he opens up to new horizons, looking for joy in sad circumstances.

MIKA – angel or devil, celebrates in 'Apocalypse Calypso'. Seeking bodies burning with lust, he dances until dawn to "Sweetie Banana" and its amazing beats.

In "30 Seconds" he talks about the moments when everything explodes. It touches on the subject of risk, the sudden love that strikes without warning and a choice that changes your destiny and binds you to a relationship for the rest of your life.

In "Je sais que je t'aime", he traces the beauty of passion in the remnants of a life for two.

In 'Moi, Andy et Paris', he is as candid as ever about his love affair with his partner of 18 years. In the city of love, emotions rule and make fights a thing of the past: In Paris.

The spirit of Jane Birkin, her elegance, freedom, and uniqueness permeates the entire album. With an ode to her British accent, MIKA pays tribute to the artist in a song simply titled 'Jane Birkin', written before her death.

"Bogues" is an ironic manifesto against the punishment of pleasure and the paradoxical dictates of consumer society. MIKA calls for resistance to these formulaic, restrained times. Maybe he's getting revenge on an abusive teacher who tied him to a chair.

MIKA lives many lives, speaks many languages, has many passports and belongs to many places.

The artist's many identities and his thirst for discovery, his insatiable curiosity and the frenzied energy that takes him around the world became the inspiration for "Passager", a reference to Georges Moustaki.

"Que ta tête fleurisse toujours" is a prayer and a call to creation, showing us once again that MIKA never stops blooming.

• Like 2

🇬🇷 Greece

Hit Channel

https://gr.hit-channel.com/o-mika-epistrefei-me-gallofono-album-anthizontas-ti-galliki-pop/

03/12/2023

Ο MIKA Επιστρέφει με Γαλλόφωνο Album

Ο Έκτος Δίσκος 'Que ta tête fleurisse toujours' κυκλοφόρησε.

Ο MIKA αποκαλύπτει τον έκτο του δίσκο, σηματοδοτώντας το πρώτο του ταξίδι στη γαλλόφωνη μουσική, με τίτλο “Que ta tête fleurisse toujours.” Γεννημένος στη Βηρυτό, ο Βρετανός καλλιτέχνης, γνωστός για το ζωηρό του ποπ, συνεργάστηκε με ανερχόμενα γαλλικά ταλέντα γι’ αυτήν την συναισθηματικά φορτισμένη κυκλοφορία.

Στα 40 του, ο MIKA έκανε ένα τολμηρό βήμα, δημιουργώντας ολόκληρο τον έκτο του δίσκο στα γαλλικά, προσφέροντας έναν παγκόσμιο χαρακτήρα στη γλώσσα. Ο δίσκος εξερευνά ανενδοίαστα θέματα αγάπης, σεξ, γήρανσης και θανάτου, παρουσιάζοντας μια ανάμειξη της ποπ των 80s και 90s με το γαλλικό τραγούδι, συνοδευόμενη από εσωστρεφείς στίχους.

Εμπνευσμένος από ένα σχέδιο και λόγια της αείμνηστης μητέρας του, ο δίσκος λειτουργεί ως ένα ειλικρινές μήνυμα προς αυτήν και ως ανακεφαλαίωση της πάροδος του χρόνου. Ο MIKA πλοηγείται μέσα από διάφορα συναισθήματα, από τους αισθησιακούς ρυθμούς του “l’Apocalypse Calypso” ως τη νοσταλγική ερωτική ιστορία του “Moi, Andy et Paris.”

Αποτίοντας φόρο τιμής στη Jane Birkin και προκαλώντας κοινωνικά πρότυπα με το “Bogues,” ο MIKA εκθέτει την ευελιξία και το βάθος του. Ο δίσκος, με τίτλο “Que ta tête fleurisse toujours,” αγκαλιάζει μια προσευχή και έκκληση για διαρκή δημιουργικότητα, επαναβεβαιώνοντας την ανθεκτική καλλιτεχνική δύναμη του MIKA.

Spoiler

MIKA Returns with a French-Language Album

The Sixth Disc 'Que ta tête fleurisse toujours' was released.

MIKA unveils his sixth album, marking his first foray into French-language music, titled “Que ta tête fleurisse toujours.” Born in Beirut, the British artist known for his soulful pop has teamed up with rising French talent for this emotionally charged release.

At 40, MIKA took a bold step, creating his sixth album entirely in French, offering a global character to the language. The record unflinchingly explores themes of love, sex, aging and death, presenting a mix of 80s and 90s pop with French song, accompanied by introspective lyrics.

Inspired by a drawing and words of his late mother, the record acts as a heartfelt message to her and a recapitulation of the passage of time. MIKA navigates through various emotions, from the sensual rhythms of “l’Apocalypse Calypso” to the nostalgic love story of “Moi, Andy et Paris.”

Paying homage to Jane Birkin and challenging social norms with “Bogues,” MIKA exhibits his versatility and depth. The record, titled “Que ta tête fleurisse toujours,” embraces a prayer and plea for continued creativity, reaffirming MIKA's enduring artistic power.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:swiss:Switzerland

20 minutes

https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/mika-est-tres-reconnaissant-du-privilege-de-faire-ce-job-541259834024

Publié12. décembre 2023, 07:42

Mika

«Je suis très reconnaissant du privilège de faire ce job»

Le chanteur Mika, qui vient de sortir un album pop tout en français, promet encore de très belles surprises à son public.

Le chanteur britannico-américain, qui sort son sixième disque, «Que ta tête fleurisse toujours», ne s’était jamais autant dévoilé que dans cet album aux sonorités pop, entièrement chanté en français. Bientôt en tournée, Mika se produira le 28 mars 2024 à l’Arena de Genève.

Pourquoi avez-vous eu envie de sortir un album entièrement en français?

Je parle bien le français, mais l’écrire est beaucoup plus difficile. Ça m’a donc forcé à être très précis dans ce que je cherchais à exprimer. Le langage que j’ai utilisé est plus essentiel, avec des thèmes très larges. Ce que je raconte devait être vrai et fort. Chanter en français, c’était aussi comme un refuge qui m’a permis de me confier plus librement.

Quel message voulez-vous faire passer avec son titre «Que ta tête fleurisse toujours»?

Je travaille dans ce métier depuis un moment déjà. L’industrie de la musique pop est très brutale et peut faire des dégâts sur votre esprit et votre manière de voir le monde. Elle peut avoir un impact très négatif avec toute cette pression commerciale. Mais il ne faut pas pour autant être victime de cette gravité. Il faut résister. Et cette douce résistance est seulement possible si l’on a de la créativité, des idées. Il faut oser rester rêveur, même en vieillissant. «Que ta tête fleurisse toujours», c’est aussi ce que m’a soufflé ma mère à l’oreille. C’était son dernier message avant sa mort. C’était une sorte de cadeau d’anniversaire qui m’a beaucoup aidé.

Dans le premier single, «C’est la vie», vous dites que la vieillesse est un naufrage.

Oui. Comment ne pas le penser quand on voit des gens autour de nous en train de vieillir et de disparaître, ou quand on voit notre propre visage en train de changer? Mais pourquoi pas ne pas confronter cette chose? Si le corps va vers la terre, eh ben la tête et le cœur doivent aller vers le ciel. Et ça, c’est le challenge!

Comment gérez-vous le poids des années?

J’ai une routine physique bien précise, voire extrême, car mes concerts sont très physiques. Je fais très attention, car je veux avoir presque une attitude d’athlète pour mes shows, pour ma musique. Je ne veux pas gaspiller mes années. Quand je vois Mick Jagger, avec tout ce qu’il a fait dans sa vie, il vieillit, mais il est complètement en accord avec son corps. Donc c’est comme ça qu’il faut trouver l’équilibre. Tant que je peux tout faire pour être très engagé physiquement et poétiquement, je vais le faire au maximum. Personne ne va m’arrêter, sauf la maladie.

Vous avez 40 ans, quel regard portez-vous sur votre carrière?

Je suis trop dans le moment présent pour prendre du recul. Pour moi, c’est comme une conversation constante. Il y a bien sûr des moments de tension, de joie, de frustration, de tristesse. Mais je n’aurai jamais une nonchalance qui pourrait diminuer l’intensité de cette conversation entre moi et mon travail. Quand je fais quelque chose de manière intense et sincère, ça devient quelque chose d’humain où je peux m’exprimer. Ce n’est pas juste du business. Et tous les gens qui travaillent avec moi le savent. Que ce soit pour un concert, une performance à un événement, peu importe, je vais à chaque fois y aller à fond la caisse et je vais amener toute ma troupe de cirque poétique avec moi.

Vous êtes donc ravi d’être chanteur?

Je suis très reconnaissant du privilège de faire ce job. Je dis bien «job», parce que si l’on ne dit pas que c’est un job, on perd la tête. Il faut avoir conscience que c’est un métier de rêve parce qu’il est multidisciplinaire. C’est là où l’on peut parler de la vie. Je peux être inspiré par une conversation que je peux entendre à l’aéroport ou dans le métro, autant que dans un livre qui gagne le prix Goncourt. Et je peux exprimer tout ça pour les gens qui m’écoutent ou qui viennent me voir sur scène.

Vous parlez aussi de votre compagnon dans «Moi, Andy et Paris».

Oui, j’avais envie d’aller droit au but, surtout parce que c’est un lien entre moi et les gens qui m’écoutent en français. Parce que mon compagnon parle très peu français. Ce n’est pas une chose négative d’en parler, c’est normal de trouver un refuge et d’y aller à fond quand on est auteur.

Vous êtes en couple avec lui depuis dix-huit ans. Quel est votre secret?

Il faut se donner la permission de s’engueuler. D’engueuler, mais aussi d’écouter l’autre qui vous engueule! (Rire.) Je dirai également qu’il faut cuisiner. Et si les deux personnes cuisinent d’une manière ou d’une autre, peu importe. C’est un échange très important. J’y crois vraiment.

Vous reverra-t-on dans le jury de la prochaine saison de «The Voice»?

Oui, on vient de commencer le tournage de l’émission. Et c’est une ambiance fantastique. Ce qui est drôle, c’est que, dans le jury, on est tous en pleine activité avec des albums et des tournées en ce moment. Et ça crée une complicité très forte entre nous, car on comprend les challenges de chacun.

Vous serez en concert à Genève en mars 2024. À quoi peut-on s’attendre?

C’est la première fois que j’écris un show avec un scénario. J’ai en tête l’idée de mettre en scène une sorte d’opéra electro rock avec mon propre matériel. Je mélangerai les langues et les cultures. Ce sera une sorte d’opéra qui parle de la vie, de l’amour et de l’espoir dans le contexte de la fin du monde.

Spoiler

“I am very grateful for the privilege of doing this job”

Singer Mika, who has just released a pop album all in French, still promises very nice surprises to his audience.

The British-American singer, who is releasing his sixth album, “Let your head always bloom”, has never revealed himself as much as in this album with pop sounds, entirely sung in French. Soon on tour, Mika will perform on March 28, 2024 at the Geneva Arena.

Why did you want to release an album entirely in French?

I speak French well, but writing it is much more difficult. So it forced me to be very precise in what I was trying to express. The language I used is more essential, with very broad themes. What I say had to be true and strong. Singing in French was also like a refuge that allowed me to confide more freely.

What message do you want to send with its title “May your head always bloom”?

I have been working in this profession for a while now. The pop music industry is very brutal and can wreak havoc on your mind and the way you see the world. It can have a very negative impact with all this commercial pressure. But you should not be a victim of this gravity. We must resist. And this gentle resistance is only possible if we have creativity, ideas. You have to dare to remain a dreamer, even as you get older. “May your head always bloom” is also what my mother whispered in my ear. It was his last message before his death. It was a kind of birthday present that helped me a lot.

In the first single, “C’est la vie”, you say that old age is a shipwreck.

Yes. How can we not think so when we see people around us growing old and disappearing, or when we see our own faces changing? But why not confront this thing? If the body goes towards the earth, well the head and the heart must go towards the sky. And that’s the challenge!

How do you manage the weight of the years?

I have a very specific, even extreme, physical routine because my concerts are very physical. I'm very careful, because I want to have almost an athlete's attitude for my shows, for my music. I don't want to waste my years. When I see Mick Jagger, with everything he's done in his life, he's getting older, but he's completely in tune with his body. So that’s how you have to find the balance. As long as I can do everything to be very engaged physically and poetically, I will do it to the fullest. No one is going to stop me except illness.

You are 40 years old, how do you view your career?

I'm too in the present moment to step back. For me, it’s like a constant conversation. There are of course moments of tension, joy, frustration, sadness. But I will never have a nonchalance that could diminish the intensity of this conversation between me and my work. When I do something intensely and sincerely, it becomes something human where I can express myself. It's not just business. And everyone who works with me knows it. Whether it's for a concert, a performance at an event, it doesn't matter, I'm going to go all out every time and I'm going to bring my entire poetic circus troupe with me.

So you’re excited to be a singer?

I am very grateful for the privilege of doing this job. I say “job”, because if you don’t say it’s a job, you lose your mind. You have to be aware that it is a dream job because it is multidisciplinary. This is where we can talk about life. I can be inspired by a conversation I overhear at the airport or in the metro, as much as by a book that wins the Goncourt Prize. And I can express all that for the people who listen to me or who come to see me on stage.

You also talk about your companion in “Me, Andy and Paris”.

Yes, I wanted to get straight to the point, especially because it is a link between me and the people who listen to me in French. Because my companion speaks very little French. It’s not a negative thing to talk about it, it’s normal to find a refuge and go all out when you’re an author.

You have been in a relationship with him for eighteen years. What is your secret?

You have to give yourself permission to argue. To yell, but also to listen to the other who yells at you! (Laughing.) I would also say that you have to cook. And if both people cook in one way or another, it doesn't matter. This is a very important exchange. I really believe in it.

Will we see you again on the jury for the next season of “The Voice”?

Yes, we just started filming the show. And it’s a fantastic atmosphere. What’s funny is that, on the jury, we are all busy with albums and tours at the moment. And that creates a very strong bond between us, because we understand each other’s challenges.

You will be in concert in Geneva in March 2024. What can we expect?

This is the first time I’ve written a show with a script. I have in mind the idea of staging a sort of electro rock opera with my own material. I will mix languages and cultures. It will be a kind of opera that talks about life, love and hope in the context of the end of the world.

AuwtstiJqw880PzHCNWSZ-.thumb.jpg.955bcfbbfdf5af8fcfa3dfae9412d321.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2