Sing along to "C'est La Vie", to appear in Mika's video!

mellody

2 minutes ago, SusanT said:

But you can give an Italian phone number! 

Yes, I think the phone number list is complete, only the country list has random countries listed...

20 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Great. Et least they give me more time to make my video :das:

Everyone has time until November 2nd anyway. I hope that by then they will have all the countries together. 😅

• Like 2

22 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I just watched the English version of the announcement again and he does say “your playback version”. 

22 hours ago, linzijay said:

Are we supposed to sing or lip-sync? I’m confused about “playbacks,” today is the first day I’ve heard the word :lmfao: Someone told me it means to lipsync so now I don’t know what to do if I make a submission :doh:

Well, when I check the Cambridge dictionary the definition for "playback" is this:

playback
noun [ C/U ]

us

/ˈpleɪˌbæk/

the act of listening to or watching something that was previously recorded:
[ C ] Each playback will sound as pure as the original.

I'm guessing that by "playback" they simply mean the recorded video of the fan. I don't understand that they mean lip-sync...
  • Like 2

Oh good to know we're all still super confused about this :lmfao:

I can say (from a quick practice session yesterday) that I absolutely agree with those of you who have said that this song is really difficult to sing when French is not your native language and the key is also not ideal for the average woman. Singing it an octave higher definitely works better for me and I'd guess it's like that for most women but still.

If he really means singing and not lip-syncing this is gonna be a hell of a mess and I'm honestly very much looking forward to seeing the result!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

I'm guessing that by "playback" they simply mean the recorded video of the fan. I don't understand that they mean lip-sync...

This is what I though too based on the definition, until I started learning that it also means lip-syncing  :confused:  I'm surprised I never heard "playback" used in this way before.

13 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

If he really means singing and not lip-syncing this is gonna be a hell of a mess and I'm honestly very much looking forward to seeing the result!

The more I think about having everyone sing, the more I have to agree that it sounds like a mess :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, linzijay said:

This is what I though too based on the definition, until I started learning that it also means lip-syncing  :confused:  I'm surprised I never heard "playback" used in this way before.

I believe that "playback" is used in this way in German. And in German, playback singing means singing to a tape, e.g. singers who only move their lips during their concerts or they sing but you can't hear them live because there is the tape that is louder.

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Prisca said:

And in German, playback singing means singing to a tape, e.g. singers who only move their lips during their concerts.

I think the multiple definitions are what's making this confusing for everyone.

I don't think I'm even going to turn in a submission anymore, there aren't enough instructions for me:dunno:

Just now, linzijay said:

I don't think I'm even going to turn in a submission anymore, there aren't enough instructions for me:dunno:

If you sing to it, you're definitely not doing anything wrong (as they say in the contest rules "to sing along"). And if (many) people do lip-sync, the jury might use that too. They want creative people. They are creative people themselves and should be able to cope with that.

And maybe wait a bit. Perhaps Mika gives more info if he sees many people are confused. :original:

• Like 5

Hi there! It’s Yuko. Could someone tell me about sending a copy of signed authorization please? Is there an authorization form? Or does it mean I only need to check ✔️the two boxes in the application form when I upload my video?
I’m not sure if I can film my video but above all, it seems a bit complicated for me to understand what I need to do to keep all the rules… :hypo: :sweatdrop:

15 hours ago, linzijay said:

15 hours ago, Prisca said:

I believe that "playback" is used in this way in German.

This is the meaning of "playback" in Romanian as well, it means lip-syncing :yes:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yuko_lyrubi said:

Hi there! It’s Yuko. Could someone tell me about sending a copy of signed authorization please? Is there an authorization form? Or does it mean I only need to check ✔️the two boxes in the application form when I upload my video?
I’m not sure if I can film my video but above all, it seems a bit complicated for me to understand what I need to do to keep all the rules… :hypo: :sweatdrop:

I don't see any authorisation form either. I think everyone is confused. :insane:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Prisca said:

I believe that "playback" is used in this way in German. And in German, playback singing means singing to a tape, e.g. singers who only move their lips during their concerts or they sing but you can't hear them live because there is the tape that is louder.

That's an informal way of using this word tho. In fact, also in German, "playback" just refers to the track. For example, Mika has half-playbacks during his shows, with the backing choruses and sometimes with his voice in the chorus, so he only sings the verses and sometimes chooses to sing a harmony over his voice in the backing track. No playback at all would be just the band and Mika.

But "singing playback" really just is a sloppy way of expressing that someone is miming / lip synching TO a (full) playback. While in fact you can do different things with it. I assume that's why they called their playback a karaoke version, so it's supposed to become clearer that people should actually sing to this playback and not just mime. They might have confused people even more by that, especially by asking them to send in their "playback". Would be interesting to know how it is used in French, maybe it's clearer there?

8 hours ago, Yuko_lyrubi said:

I think the authorization form is just the online form, as there is nothing else. That is just for legal reasons, so they know you're over 18 and they have the rights to use your video.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mellody said:

That's an informal way of using this word tho.

Yes, possible, but that was the meaning I learned first, long before I knew English....

4 minutes ago, mellody said:

In fact, also in German, "playback" just refers to the track. For example, Mika has half-playbacks during his shows, with the backing choruses and sometimes with his voice in the chorus, so he only sings the verses and sometimes chooses to sing a harmony over his voice in the backing track. No playback at all would be just the band and Mika.

In German, however, one usually uses "Backing Track" (yes, I know, it looks very German) for half-playback. At least according to my feeling and what Wikipedia says about it. :dunno_grin:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playback

11 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Yes, possible, but that was the meaning I learned first, long before I knew English....

In German, however, one usually uses "Backing Track" (yes, I know, it looks very German) for half-playback. At least according to my feeling and what Wikipedia says about it. :dunno_grin:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playback

Oh great, even the German Wikipedia page uses the words in different ways - in the one part it's a backing track, but later they also refer to it als half-playback. :doh:

And, wait for it, this is the English translation of the French Wikipedia article for "playback":

Playback (false anglicism1, also called pre-sounding2,3) is a lip-sync technique, used by singers, which consists of them singing or playing a musical instrument without their voice or sound. the instrument is picked up by a microphone, following by ear a quality recording broadcast by loudspeaker or earpiece, previously made by them, providing listeners with the sound that should normally be produced on site and at the very moment .

So in French it clearly means lip-syching. In English you don't even have a Wikipedia entry for "playback", you have to choose from different meanings.

Still, in the rules it says "your video of singing to C'est La Vie". So I assume Mika means "playback" more in the sense of what he uses on stage, that you use the playback (karaoke) track as a backing track to sing to. Assuming that we might not just need the chorus as a playback but also the verses (they are indeed the much more difficult part to sing, lol!). I assume that if he had meant lip-synch / mime, he'd have said that. But he said "sing", they write "sing", so my interpretation is that they want singing and not lip-synching (tho if not enough people take part, they might use lip synch versions as well, who knows...).

If it can helps, here is the French definition of "playback": Common name. (False Anglicism). "Lip synchronization technique that involves pretending to sing or play a musical instrument, with the aid of a recording replacing the sound that would normally be produced by this simulated activity."

But Mika made it clear that even if we didn't sing very well, we could still participate... :stifle:

Rather confusing indeed! :excite:

Well, IMO, that those who want to participate do the best they can by singing for real or not, but above all by showing imagination, that is the most important thing. :fisch:

Mika and his teams will know how to “cut the sound” or “turn it back on” depending on what they have in mind for the final result.

Good luck to everyone!

And above all, HAVE FUN!!! :tongue2:

Cats Singing GIF by Kennysgifs

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, mellody said:

Still, in the rules it says "your video of singing to C'est La Vie". So I assume Mika means "playback" more in the sense of what he uses on stage, that you use the playback (karaoke) track as a backing track to sing to.

Yes, I think that is what is meant. But no wonder people are confused...

With the first meaning it says what English fountains say (German Wikipedia).

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Happymika_by_celine said:

Well, IMO, that those who want to participate do the best they can by singing for real or not, but above all by showing imagination, that is the most important thing. :fisch:

Mika and his teams will know how to “cut the sound” or “turn it back on” depending on what they have in mind for the final result.

Good luck to everyone!

And above all, HAVE FUN!!! :tongue2:

:yeah: :yes:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mellody said:

Still, in the rules it says "your video of singing to C'est La Vie". So I assume Mika means "playback" more in the sense of what he uses on stage, that you use the playback (karaoke) track as a backing track to sing to. Assuming that we might not just need the chorus as a playback but also the verses (they are indeed the much more difficult part to sing, lol!). I assume that if he had meant lip-synch / mime, he'd have said that. But he said "sing", they write "sing", so my interpretation is that they want singing and not lip-synching (tho if not enough people take part, they might use lip synch versions as well, who knows...).

Yes, @mellody is correct. I think everyone is OVER-thinking this. Don't! It's pretty clear to me that since they call this the "karaoke" version, they want you to sing the song along to the video they posted on YouTube, using it as your guide.

I know they could have made the rules clearer, and Mika's videos could have been more straightforward, but honestly -- just make a video, horizontal (landscape) orientation, no more than 250MB and submit it using the form they linked to (which should eventually have all of your countries listed -- they're working on it!) by 2 November. That's it. :thumb_yello:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mellody said:

I think the authorization form is just the online form, as there is nothing else. That is just for legal reasons, so they know you're over 18 and they have the rights to use your video.

Ok. I see.. Thank you so much! :) 

Now l’ll concentrate on singing C’est La Vie… and filming a video of me singing it along with Karaoke version.  
It seems I’ve still got a long way to go.:sweatdrop:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Yes, @mellody is correct. I think everyone is OVER-thinking this. Don't! It's pretty clear to me that since they call this the "karaoke" version, they want you to sing the song along to the video they posted on YouTube, using it as your guide.

I know they could have made the rules clearer, and Mika's videos could have been more straightforward, but honestly -- just make a video, horizontal (landscape) orientation, no more than 250MB and submit it using the form they linked to (which should eventually have all of your countries listed -- they're working on it!) by 2 November. That's it. :thumb_yello:

Deb, could you double check the link? I think there is space in it.

And it is a different link to this at the beginning of this thread. There is only 6 countries on the list.

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Deb, could you double check the link? I think there is space in it.

And it is a different link to this at the beginning of this thread. There is only 6 countries on the list.

Sheesh, I just copied and pasted from their document. :rolleyes:

Here's a better link.

https://link.fans/mika-x-op-fan-music-video/en

And there are more than 6 countries on this list, BUT still not all of them.

• Like 3