Sing along to "C'est La Vie", to appear in Mika's video!

mellody

Mika wants us to sing along to his C'est La Vie "Karaoke" video. The best entries will be included in a Fans version video of C'est La Vie.

4 hours ago, Prisca said:

The contest runs since Friday and until 2 November, midnight.

Competition site (you can switch between English & French):

https://link.fans/mika-x-op-fan-music-video/en

There you can also download the t&c. You have to be 18+ to take part and grant them all the rights to your video.

Also on the competition site it says that videos need to be 16:9 landscape format. On the english site it says "vertical videos exceeding 250MB will not be accepted" - on the French site it says nothing about the file size, just about vertical. But I assume it's 2 conditions, not vertical and not over 250MB. :dunno_grin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mellody said:

Btw, I think in French he says "even if you can't sing", while in English he says "even if you don't speak French".

Yes, that's what he says.

• Like 2

I won't take part as I both can't sing and also don't speak French which is a deadly combination... :lmfao:But why are there only a few countries to choose from in the form? A lot of countries are missing. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

I won't take part as I both can't sing and also don't speak French which is a deadly combination... :lmfao:But why are there only a few countries to choose from in the form? A lot of countries are missing. 

Oops you're right, I hadn't checked. I hope they'll fix that, or I'll have to change my nationality to Austrian, lol! 😅🙈

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

7 minutes ago, mellody said:

Oops you're right, I hadn't checked. I hope they'll fix that, or I'll have to change my nationality to Austrian, lol! 😅🙈

Yes, they need to correct this. But you can at least both give your phone numbers. :lol3:

And it says Switzerland. :blink:

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, mellody said:

"Yes, Karaoke version!!!". 🙈 Well, it still isn't actual karaoke, but if we're supposed to do karaoke to it, I guess that's a valid (kinda...) excuse to call it that. 😅 Maybe they thought it'd be better, so people wouldn't be too far out of tune with singing the melody. 🙈 

Btw, I think in French he says "even if you can't sing", while in English he says "even if you don't speak French".

This is gonna be interesting. :mikacool: :teehee:

The contest runs since Friday :mf_rosetinted: and until 2 November, midnight.

Competition site (you can switch between English & French):

https://link.fans/mika-x-op-fan-music-video/en

There you can also download the t&c. You have to be 18+ to take part and grant them all the rights to your video.

Also on the competition site it says that videos need to be 16:9 landscape format. On the english site it says "vertical videos exceeding 250MB will not be accepted" - on the French site it says nothing about the file size, just about vertical. But I assume it's 2 conditions, not vertical and not over 250MB. :dunno_grin:

BTW it says “SEND US YOUR BEST "C'EST LA VIE" PLAYBACK”. So you can also mime!

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Yes, they need to correct this. But you can at least both give your phone numbers. :lol3:

There is a point in the rules where they say they can use your name, surname, address and phone number for promotion of the contest - and luckily the phone number field is optional. So no, I don't think I'll give them my phone number. :rolleyes: I mean, they probably won't publish it, but while I could imagine that they might add the names or at least the countries in the video, it doesn't make sense why they would have it in their rules to use the phone numbers for promotion. :dunno:

25 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

BTW it says “SEND US YOUR BEST "C'EST LA VIE" PLAYBACK”. So you can also mime!

Ha! Maybe that's the point and they won't even include fan's voices, but just fans miming, like in the Ice Cream fanvideo a few years ago! Maybe they'll decide once they hear the entries 🙈 but with Mika singing in the playback video, I doubt it'll turn out really well if they include a lot of different vocals with Mika singing in the background. :dunno_grin: We'll see... anyway, as he says "even if you can't sing", maybe it means you can take part by miming. ;)

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Yes, Karaoke version!!!". 🙈 Well, it still isn't actual karaoke, but if we're supposed to do karaoke to it, I guess that's a valid (kinda...) excuse to call it that. 😅 Maybe they thought it'd be better, so people wouldn't be too far out of tune with singing the melody. 🙈 

Are we supposed to sing or lip-sync? I’m confused about “playbacks,” today is the first day I’ve heard the word :lmfao: Someone told me it means to lipsync so now I don’t know what to do if I make a submission :doh:

2 minutes ago, linzijay said:

Are we supposed to sing or lip-sync? I’m confused about “playbacks,” today is the first day I’ve heard the word :lmfao: Someone told me it means to lipsync so now I don’t know what to do if I make a submission :doh:

I guess Mika wants us to sing. Maybe he says "playback" because it's recorded and not broadcast live. :dunno_grin:

3 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Yes I didn‘t understand what he wanted at first but @jatspeedy immediately said "He wants us to lipsync to it" which makes sense.

Why he didn‘t just say that then idk 😂

(I'm still not 100% sure that‘s what he means so don‘t take my word for it)

He wants us to sing. In the French version he says: Even if you can't sing, join in.

10 minutes ago, Prisca said:

I guess Mika wants us to sing. Maybe he says "playback" because it's recorded and not broadcast live. :dunno_grin:

He wants us to sing. In the French version he says: Even if you can't sing, join in.

yes, and I think he also says "but if you can sing, show it! And if you play the Ukulele, play the Ukulele to it!" (nice reference to Louison, hehe :teehee:)

11 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

If it’s playback I know what I can do for 10 seconds. But there are 3m20s more to fill and I’m like “no, that’s too much of me for the world to see, I’m out” :lol3:

Hmm, I don't even remember what I did for the Ice Cream video back then, don't think I did the whole song? I'm sure you can only send in a small part, they will only use parts of the videos anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mellody said:

I'm sure you can only send in a small part, they will only use parts of the videos anyway.

I honestly wish there was a little more, clear information about what we should do and how long the clips should be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, linzijay said:

I honestly wish there was a little more, clear information about what we should do and how long the clips should be.

Hm, in the rules it does say

"To take part in the contest, you must upload a personal video of yourself singing along to Mika's "C'est La Vie""

But later it also says

"A jury, made up of members of the company organizing the contest, will choose the best videos (discretionary choice based on the originality and quality of the videos) thus uploaded in order to include them in a video illustrating the song "C'est la vie" performed by Mika temporarily or permanently entitled "C'est La Vie (Fans version)" "

so "performed by Mika" sounds again like it's just lip synching. :dunno:

We just talked about a few options on the MFC Zoom. Maybe they want to make a fans background choir. Maybe they won't use the sound of our videos but still want people to actually sing, so it's more realistic than just lip synching and / or so they can more easily match the videos with the original sound. Or maybe they just have no clue what they're doing. :naughty:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mellody said:

"A jury, made up of members of the company organizing the contest, will choose the best videos (discretionary choice based on the originality and quality of the videos) thus uploaded in order to include them in a video illustrating the song "C'est la vie" performed by Mika temporarily or permanently entitled "C'est La Vie (Fans version)" "

so "performed by Mika" sounds again like it's just lip synching. :dunno:

It could also be a mix of Mika and fans singing. :dunno_grin:

• Like 3

So, I just started practising and already getting a knot in my tongue in the 3rd line. :insane: "Qu'est ce que tout ca vient faire ici". Keep it simple was a bit simpler to sing, lol! 😅

• Haha 5

Ok that song is FAST! :dog: That's why Keep it Simple was easier, it's not that fast. I noticed that the French words are easier to learn if I first sing (or even just speak) them slowly, and then get a little bit faster every time. Mika sounds a bit weird if I play the video at half speed, but well, if it helps... :naughty:

Also I'm still not sure whether to sing it in the original pitch or an octave higher. Or a mix of both. One is too deep for my voice, the other one too high. :doh:

1 minute ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I have to wait till Poland appears on the countries list :mellow:

Germany isn't on there either, but if they don't correct that, I'll just pick another country. Won't let that stop me from taking part, lol! Anyway, practising the song and recording the video is the bigger challenge. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Feel like this is right up @dcdebs street! :teehee:

As for myself I'd like to take part but I'm not too sure if nervousness would get the better of me.

I'm the kind of person that thinks I sound good when I sing but I'm pretty sure if anyone else heard me, I'd probably sound like a wailing cat 😅

(ok so I'm not that bad but I won't be getting a record deal anytime soon).

I also don't speak French. I know Mika says neither of those things matter and I could always lipsync too but I'm just not sure this contest is for me. 

Good luck to everyone taking part though! :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mellody said:

Also I'm still not sure whether to sing it in the original pitch or an octave higher. Or a mix of both. One is too deep for my voice, the other one too high. :doh:

I have the same problem. I don't know if I'll send anything in though. I'm already having a heart attack just thinking about it. Ah well, I have time until November 2nd. If you don't hear from me for a while, I had a heart attack. :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Prisca said:

That's indeed a strange list! Why wouldn't they include Italy? :facepalm:

But you can give an Italian phone number! 

I guess they'll eventually correct it. Maybe @dcdeb could let Mika's team know about the missing countries?

• Like 1