Sing along to "C'est La Vie", to appear in Mika's video!

mellody

45 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Sheesh, I just copied and pasted from their document. :rolleyes:

They really have a draft link in their rules pdf file, where you can choose to view the "thank you for submitting your video" page. 🙈

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I think everyone is OVER-thinking this.

That's my specialty. :mf_rosetinted: I mean, what if we're supposed to record a proper audio of us singing and then lip-sync in a video to that? 🙈 :naughty: It's another thought I had today, while practising the lyrics - I'm getting better at it, but it'd be much easier to record an audio in several takes, than a video where I keep looking at the screen (because I'm still far from knowing the lyrics by heart, at least not in the speed at which Mika is singing them). :lol3:

Anyway, half-joking... ofc I know that this is not specified in the rules, but I might actually try to do it that way, lipsync to my own voice, if I can't get a good recording on video. For the GK challenge I also had to do it like that, because I wasn't able to record & put together the harmonies on video.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mellody said:

Anyway, half-joking... ofc I know that this is not specified in the rules, but I might actually try to do it that way, lipsync to my own voice, if I can't get a good recording on video. For the GK challenge I also had to do it like that, because I wasn't able to record & put together the harmonies on video.

I was thinking of doing something like this, too, but the I started over-thinking about the rules where it says not to use any "software" and wondered if that included audio software to splice things together :dunno:

12 minutes ago, linzijay said:

I was thinking of doing something like this, too, but the I started over-thinking about the rules where it says not to use any "software" and wondered if that included audio software to splice things together :dunno:

Oh, does it say that? I hadn't read that. But it's good to know... idk if it refers to splicing things together - I mean, even with a video you might need several takes and put the best bits together? But it surely means that you shouldn't add any production or effects on your voice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I think everyone is OVER-thinking this.

We absolutely are!

I also assume you are just supposed to agree to the terms by ticking that box on the online form but in the rules it says something about signing a form multiple times. Very strange.

And the reason I have doubts about whether (and how) we are really supposed to sing is that if you do that and play the backing track at the same time so it is audible in the video you record, you 're gonna end up with the og song overlapping multiple times at different volumes. If I make a cover where I layer multiple tracks, I use headphones. I thought about doing that for my submission too, but I guess if that's what they wanted they would have said so because most people will not do it.

I think it's still possible to do it in a different way (any they surely know those tricks better than I do) but just makes it potentially messier and harder to edit.

In any case, like Deb said to be on the safe side I would just SING for real to the song. If it ends up being lip-sync they can still use it, they'll just mute us! :D

• Like 3

22 hours ago, linzijay said:

I checked again because of the "software", and the only paragraph where I can find it refers to software like viruses and bots, I think. At least that's how I understand it. Probably also AI, so if you  make your voice sound like Freddie Mercury's, you might get disqualified. :mf_rosetinted: Anyway, I don't think it's an issue to cut videos or audio.

I've filmed LOTS of takes today (as I had the house to myself for the only time in the next 2 weeks) and decided that I'll do an actual video - I just need to cut it together from different takes, impossible for me to get it all right in just one take. And it'd be a bit boring to watch too, I guess, if nothing's happening except just me standing there and singing. I've also filmed a few takes in front of a green screen, so maybe I'll try some advanced video editing and add a background to some parts of the video. 

I guess after today I know the lyrics. 😅 Tho I still have to concentrate hard on remembering them fast enough.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mellody said:

I checked again because of the "software", and the only paragraph where I can find it refers to software like viruses and bots, I think. At least that's how I understand it. Probably also AI, so if you  make your voice sound like Freddie Mercury's, you might get disqualified. :mf_rosetinted: Anyway, I don't think it's an issue to cut videos or audio.

I've filmed LOTS of takes today (as I had the house to myself for the only time in the next 2 weeks) and decided that I'll do an actual video - I just need to cut it together from different takes, impossible for me to get it all right in just one take. And it'd be a bit boring to watch too, I guess, if nothing's happening except just me standing there and singing. I've also filmed a few takes in front of a green screen, so maybe I'll try some advanced video editing and add a background to some parts of the video. 

I guess after today I know the lyrics. 😅 Tho I still have to concentrate hard on remembering them fast enough.

Since they will probably use only a few seconds of the song from each fan, do you think it might be ok to submit even just a one- minute video? I imagine that they've requested the whole song so they can edit whatever they need.

There's no way I'd be able to do what you described above :original:

Just now, SusanT said:

Since they will probably use only a few seconds of the song from each fan, do you think it might be ok to submit even just a one- minute video? I imagine that they've requested the whole song so they can edit whatever they need.

There's no way I'd be able to do what you described above :original:

I assume it increases your chances to be in his video if you send the whole song, because several fans might just send in the chorus if they don't know French... but I'm sure that sending just a part is better than not sending anything. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As @dcdeb said in the MFC live on Wednesday, you don't have to wait until your country appears in the list, just pick another country if you want to send your entry. Of course there's still hope they might fix it until the deadline, but don't let it stop you if they don't. :wink2:

• Like 4

On 27/10/2023 at 23:45, mellody said:

COME@dcdebha detto nel live MFC di mercoledì, non devi aspettare finché il tuo paese non appare nell'elenco, basta scegliere un altro paese se vuoi inviare la tua voce. Naturalmente c'è ancora speranza che riescano a risolvere il problema entro la scadenza, ma non lasciarti fermare se non lo fanno.:occhiolino2:

Really? We can do it? Because in the contest rules I read "...Winners authorize all checks concerning their identity
and domicile (postal and/or Internet address). Any false identity or address
information will invalidate participation."....:blink:

My video is ready, but I'm waiting until the 2nd morning and if Italy doesn't appear in the list I will try to send it with another country.... and fingers crossed!!!!! :clap:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vero Bott said:

I've got the video ready too, and thinking whether to send it - my head keeps playing me this scene of Mika as a judge, pressing the red buzzer as in X Factor and saying "God no!!" :lmfao:

Hahaha well at least we won't be there to hear it so you will either get positive feedback by being included or you're gonna be ignored. As long as you can live with that outcome, I think it's worth giving it a go :)

• Like 5

finally, video sent! 😅 I got a bit, um, creative with the editing, maybe I did too much but I found it boring to just watch myself singing into the camera for 3 minutes. :dunno_grin: It probably wouldn't have mattered because they would only use short clips of each video anyway, but well... I'll see if they can use anything of what I sent. :teehee:

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, mellody said:

finally, video sent! 😅 I got a bit, um, creative with the editing, maybe I did too much but I found it boring to just watch myself singing into the camera for 3 minutes. :dunno_grin: It probably wouldn't have mattered because they would only use short clips of each video anyway, but well... I'll see if they can use anything of what I sent. :teehee:

Congrats and fingers crossed for you! :) 

I've been waiting if the list of countries gets updated but it seems I eventually have to become German for the purpose of the submission :D It seems unlikely they're gonna fix this last minute I guess...

• Like 5

Just sent in mine too!!!  I degraded the video size and it’s sent without any errors.

I filmed hundreds of times until today.:hypo: But I’m not sure if it’s a best take or not. I did my best anyway.:tears: I hope Mika or a person who will edit will enjoy at least…:sweatdrop:

I’m exhausted!!! :sleep:

• Like 7

I just sent mine as well!

Of course I had ultimate bad timing and got sick last week. I could still barely sing today (and in tune is debatable) but what can you do, I either had to record it today or not send anything in and I just couldn't accept having learnt those verses for nothing :D

• Like 8

Good luck to those of you who got your videos in!

Seems like when they said "2 November at midnight" they meant 11:59:59pm November 1st -- folks trying to send in now are getting a "Promotion Has Ended" message. That's a shame. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

2 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Seems like when they said "2 November at midnight" they meant 11:59:59pm November 1st -- folks trying to send in now are getting a "Promotion Has Ended" message. That's a shame. :(

Oh, good then that I had to do it earlier because I'm not at home today - usually I do things last minute. Sorry for those who missed it, it sucks if you spent all the time filming and editing, and then it doesn't work because Mika's team can't be clear about the time. :annoyed: Thanks for the info Deb.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Honestly, it crossed my mind that they might actually mean midnight on the preceding day... It's a pity, they should have been clearer, so sorry for everyone not being able to submit their video 😢

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vero Bott said:

Honestly, it crossed my mind that they might actually mean midnight on the preceding day... It's a pity, they should have been clearer, so sorry for everyone not being able to submit their video 😢

That's why I always try to remember to be specific whenever we do a competition --I'll say 11:59pm to avoid any confusion, with midnight, or noon.

1 hour ago, Hero said:

That's unfortunate, sorry for those who missed it. :itsok:

Works well for me though, it removes the temptation - nobody wants to see/hear that! :lmfao:

I was never tempted! :lol3: I know my limits.

• Haha 6

Oh noooo! I worked hours and hours on it, just finished it and was about to send it, and it doesn't work! Is there any other way to send it to Mika? I just don't accept that I have done all that work for nothing! :angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, dcdeb said:

Seems like when they said "2 November at midnight" they meant 11:59:59pm November 1st

Oh noo it just occurred to me yesterday that it's unclear what he meant. I did assume he meant today at midnight as well but wasn't 100% sure so rushed to finish it yesterday. I should have expressed my doubts here!!

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I was never tempted! :lol3: I know my limits.

You could have played a trumpet solo or something, that would have been amazing!!
I'm determined to include your talents one day, if I suggest Billy Brown for a singing project it might have to do with the fact that it has a brass section :cool:

• Like 5