Mika OCD sufferer

Ocean_Fairy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this when I was reading a magazine called Look,it was part of a bigger article about celebrity OCD sufferers.

I thought it was intresting.

Sorry if everyone already knows this or it's posted somewhere else..

"New chart sensation Mika has also confessed to having the condition:"I nver offer to make tea-it would take too long.You've got to have a precise level of water in the pot,make sure the cup is in exactly the right place..." "

Did Mika actually say that he had OCD? Or did he just talk about how he made tea, and then the journalist jumped to the conclusion?

I have OCD, so I'm rather hoping that it's true that Mika has it too, because I like finding I have things in common with him. :)

So much for Mika's message of being oneself. When he says that "Grace Kelly" was his expression of wanting to be an individual, I just think, "Oh yes, I want to be like that, too." ;)

yes he does have OCD, i've also read that he has to buy three of almost everything he buys. i don't exactly think it's cute though... OCD is a very difficult thing to live with and a very hard obstacle to overcome. I do think he is a perfectionist in addition to that, but I don't think i'd say OCD is cute lol. I think everything Mika does is cute though, i just think he's perfect in every way lollll awwwe poor guy. i don't know how bad his OCD is though. I hope it's not too bad.

I have OCD pretty badly. Not as bas as some people, but I still have it to a point where it makes me cry on occasion.

My medication for it was actually just increased on Monday. They put me on depression medication because I was crying all the time from it. Now I'm not depressed anymore, but I still have OCD and anxiety so bad, so they increased it.

It's not... horrible? I don't know. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me. I've had it since I was a kid though, so I'm used to it by now.

My family is pretty nice about it, except for my sister. The other day I was making chicken nuggets, and I was going to slide the tray in the oven, and she came up and took her hand over them and scattered them. I pretty much screamed, then went back to making sure they were all in order, and JUST perfect again.

My mom yelled at her though. :wink2: Something like "You're almost twenty, you should know better!"

When I was ten years old, I had a seriously bad case of it. My mom set me up with a doctor to have me evaluated. Mine was over disease and germs.

I don't remember when it started, but all I know is that it was awful. I felt trapped inside myself. I would wash my hands so many times that they became raw and red and I ended up having to go to the dermatologist and get medicated cream. Sometimes I would go to the bathroom, wash my hands, leave the bathroom, take a few steps, then get a sudden need to wash them again and I would go back and do it again. I refused to touch hamburger meat, even fully cooked, because I was afraid that I would get e-coli. If I accidentally touched it, I would cry and start shaking because I thought that I was going to die. I couldn't go to movie theaters because I was afraid of sitting in the seats, and I also could not go to a friend's house because I wouldn't sit on their furniture. If I had the occasional, normal ache or pain, I would convince myself that I had cancer and that I was going to die, and I started thinking about all the things that I hadn't done in my life yet.

This all lasted for about a year, but I guess I grew out of it, because now I'll eat off the floor. :roftl:

It's strange, because I've never actually been told by anyone, or had it confirmed, but recently, I've sort of realised that I may have OCD.

It's really frustrating, because it stops me from doing stuff, and I sometimes feel physically sick if I don't do a certain thing when I feel the need to, or I have to start the whole thing again. I can completley relate to what Hannah said about shaking; sometimes, I feel like I've got butterflies in my stomach, and I can't sleep if I don't do what I needed to do.

I do loads of things which really confuse me, but I feel like crying and I get really really REALLY frustrated if I get stopped from doing certain stuff, or if I can't do it. Once, a couple of months ago, I was doing this thing I do every night, where I have to make sure my door shuts so that it hits the doorframe at a certain softness, and I just couldn't do it, and I felt like I was about to burst out in tears.

I usually find that when I walk around my house, if I'm going upstairs from the bottom floor, I have to walk to my front door, then back up the stairs, and I really don't know why.

I do loads of stuff like that.

I'm not even sure if I have OCD or not, but I'm getting more and more convinced the more I hear about it. How did the people who have OCD here find out for sure?

Can being a neat freak be considered as OCD too? because i can't sleep if my house is dirty or my side of the room is dirty , and I always make things into equal parts , like if my mom got eminems then I would go through and count the eminems and give each person as many as their eqaully allowed . I also get really .... welll weird and sort of mad when I can't do something right , well right in my oppinion .Lik eif I get an A- on a paper I feel really....well i feel like a failure ....I guess I have to have everything perfect , like when I draw stuff , If I dont do it right the first time I rip the paper up , or when the people I ask about my drawings don't reply as quickly as I would like them tooo I throw the picture away, then I feel like a failure , I sound like a nut don't I ......

I think I have it , once I drink a beer , I need to order another one , then I drink that and ... I cant help myself I get another aaghhhhhhhhhhh and another , i know its gonna hurt but I buy another :thumbdown:

i know your pain brother...... i suffer from severe OCD too :naughty: just can't put that moonshine down! :roftl:

weird, i had something like that when i was really young (about 8 or 9).

I ALWAYS had to walk on the left side of the sidewalk when coming home from school and got really ticked off for the rest of the day if i stepped on even 1 pavement crack.

i also felt really uncomfortable if the lining in my socks wasn't exactly aligned with the tips of my feet. weird, huh?

when i would step on a crack, or a certain part of the sidewalk, i have to keep walking on that part or on every crack because i'd feel uneven.

the floor of my room is very clean. and when there's a pair of shoes on the floor, it just bothers me, and makes me feel like my room is cluttered or dirty. also when i go to bed, on the floor, i have to have my tissue box straight, with a bottle of water, and my chapstick in front of the bottle. i also make my bed everyday, even if it's 30 minutes before i go to sleep. i have to get into a made bed.

whew.

This sounds like the guy of the movie as good as it gets! anyone seen this movie?!?

I dont know what is considered obsessive compolsive?

people think its childish that I only walk on the paving stones and not on the cracks, and if its cobbles ill walk on the curb!

for me if something has a set place, and I cant handle it if its moved, or changes,....like monica off friends! I find that once I have made up my mind, nothing stands in my way, If its got to be done it has to be done right! it frustrates me alot!

and I also have a thing about tea, its got to the point now that if someone offers, I will usually refuse! but maybe that has more to do with my big mouth than anything else! *cough* I did not just say that

And I check the door is locked 3 times before I go to bed!

Can being a neat freak be considered as OCD too? because i can't sleep if my house is dirty or my side of the room is dirty , and I always make things into equal parts , like if my mom got eminems then I would go through and count the eminems and give each person as many as their eqaully allowed . I also get really .... welll weird and sort of mad when I can't do something right , well right in my oppinion .Lik eif I get an A- on a paper I feel really....well i feel like a failure ....I guess I have to have everything perfect , like when I draw stuff , If I dont do it right the first time I rip the paper up , or when the people I ask about my drawings don't reply as quickly as I would like them tooo I throw the picture away, then I feel like a failure , I sound like a nut don't I ......

I don't think you sound like a nut. :-)

I'm a bit the same about As.

I don't think I have OCD, but if I do, it's probably very mild.

I've just realized that when I was a little girl, I would keep all my color pencils in the same order that I bought them. Like, if I took one, I would place something there, like another pencil and then make sure I put the color pencil I took out, back where it originally was. I never gave it a second thought until someone looked at me strangely about it and mentioned it. I was thought everyone was the same. Once, I lent my color pencils to someone and he spilled out all my pencils. I got teary-eyed and I think I cried a bit.

It really bothered me and I wanted new pencils that were "in order" because I thought mine were messed up and it really did cause me anxiety and I think even worry.

I have to have the body balanced, too, but only a bit I think. Like, once I noticed I was favoring my right foot for everything so I stood on my left one for awhile until I "felt" that I had stayed approximately the same amount of time on it that I had on my right foot. And if I wear jewelry, it has to balance out as well. Like if I wear a bracelet, I feel I should wear something on the other wrist, too.

I think I know someone who has it worse. He has the false idea that a part of his body is deformed (it isn't)--he actually asked me if he could surgically fix it--I said no, because it involved his spine--my mom called him crazy for this, showers for an abnormally long amount of time, uses much more product than he needs to, and flicks off the light switch in a particular rhythm and if he doesn't get it right, he has to do it at least twice the "right" way. He's also very afraid of germs and once would brush his teeth like 8 times a day. Ironically mine were cleaner than his and I brush less, but it was his technique. He also sees "deformities" about my body that he thinks needs urgent fixing or really bother him. I'm like, "If it bothers you, then don't look!" But, then I catch him staring at it. He really must feel clean. He showers too often.

Plus, I think he's a bit dyslexic because he's much smarter than his spelling and his reading comprehension.

But, he seems to be able to cope. He must do certain things "perfectly," and it really aggravates him when he can't/doesn't. Anxiety, too. I wonder if I should mention it? Should I get him to see someone?

I had the same thing about someone ruining something I had perfectly: I would cry/become really upset.

worry not people, it is totally common and not terribly traumatic to have some obsessive habits or behavior, because for most of us it doesn't greatly interfere with our lives. i sometimes will step on a plant and feel "unclean" like i need to shake something off my foot. i just do it. or even better, combat the impulse to. i try to reason with myself and realize it's all in your head. the discomfort is there but its managable. true OCD takes over people's lives and crops up in pretty much every aspect, so i say we have little to worry about and should count our blessings :biggrin2:

as for mika and his tea..... i dunno him or his experiences so i cant really say, but trust me, i once attended tea-making classes and the people there made you start over if you didn't turn the tea-leaves holder correctly. although that's more a matter of tradition and ceremony, so maybe mika does have OCD. but hey, some of us are just very finicky about our tea/coffee/etc. :bleh:

• 1 year later...

When I read about mika’s ‘OCD’ and the 'OCD' of people in this thread, I can’t help but feel peeved at him. He almost seems to be flaunting it as an attraction.

There is a boy in my year who really, badly suffers from OCD. Today from my art class, which looks out to the field we watched him run around, around, around the field, set on running a ridiculous distance. No-one could talk him out of it. He passed out, and as soon as he came to, he continued. It looked like it was killing him.

He is probably the nicest guy I know, but he always has to walk to classes at a certain speed = FAST, and damn, he is so tidy that’s its scary. I really wish I could help him.

And now we are all Mika-obseessed OC(M)D. Did anyone watch the programmes that Stephen Fry did about his experience with the disorder? He said that people with this, like him can suffer huge swings into depression, and worse.

I can't cast Mika as a depressive though - well not at the moment. He's far too 'happy clappy' currently to imagine that - though when he was at school and retreated into himself because of the bullying - that could've been a depression.

Let's hope all that is well behind him. He seems pretty happy with his life as it is going now.

CW.

I have an

ocd when making any food or drink but still manage it fast and also lining up a trailer or horse float on a vehicle. I do also fall into depression. Quite often I will act out a whole week of school, home, pony club, youth group and anything else so I dont have people asking me whats wrong all the time. I'm not sure if the OCD comes with the depression or vice versa but the depression can be set off even by something a person says that has nothing to do with me so I generally try to avoid being around people too. At least that gives me more time for my perfectionism lol Doing OCD things seems to help the depression.

I have to check a room three times before I can go to bed. I have to do things a certain number of times. But mine's not too bad. I suppose in Mika's case, OCD is the reason his album has taken so long, but it's ALSO the reason why the album is going to be so phenominal and amazing and well worth waiting for!

I can't get that swing song (vlog 2) out of my head! I really love what he's been doing with his music!

I have to check a room three times before I can go to bed. I have to do things a certain number of times. But mine's not too bad. I suppose in Mika's case, OCD is the reason his album has taken so long, but it's ALSO the reason why the album is going to be so phenominal and amazing and well worth waiting for!

I can't get that swing song (vlog 2) out of my head! I really love what he's been doing with his music!

I totally agree !!:thumb_yello:.

I have OCD too, and the biggest problem for me shows up when I read or write. It takes me so long to write a simple sentence, it's really annoying, I have to re-write it. I have to do almost everything a certain amount of times, but I'm getting used to it, and the other things I have to do, don't bother me that much now.

When I read about mika’s ‘OCD’ and the 'OCD' of people in this thread, I can’t help but feel peeved at him. He almost seems to be flaunting it as an attraction.

There is a boy in my year who really, badly suffers from OCD. Today from my art class, which looks out to the field we watched him run around, around, around the field, set on running a ridiculous distance. No-one could talk him out of it. He passed out, and as soon as he came to, he continued. It looked like it was killing him.

He is probably the nicest guy I know, but he always has to walk to classes at a certain speed = FAST, and damn, he is so tidy that’s its scary. I really wish I could help him.

i guess no-one saw my comment.

I also don't think Mika has OCD but on the other hand there is something.

In the beginning when I saw Mika's interviews I thought he had a light form of autism.

I know people who don't know autism think it's always about people who don't speak much or not and that they are always very calm but that's not true.

The light form of autism is very close to ADHD.

They can be very energetic and talk a lot.

Why I thought that,

Well he didn't speak for a long time because he was hurt,he seemed to call everybody his friend and he has a sort of OCD way to do things and had problems with writhing.

That's why I thought that.

Was this stupid of me or are here others who have thought of that?

I totally agree !!:thumb_yello:.

I have OCD too, and the biggest problem for me shows up when I read or write. It takes me so long to write a simple sentence, it's really annoying, I have to re-write it. I have to do almost everything a certain amount of times, but I'm getting used to it, and the other things I have to do, don't bother me that much now.

When I read I get stuck on a sentence and have to read it three times before I can move on. That can get really annoying!

I also don't think Mika has OCD but on the other hand there is something.

In the beginning when I saw Mika's interviews I thought he had a light form of autism.

I know people who don't know autism think it's always about people who don't speak much or not and that they are always very calm but that's not true.

The light form of autism is very close to ADHD.

They can be very energetic and talk a lot.

Why I thought that,

Well he didn't speak for a long time because he was hurt,he seemed to call everybody his friend and he has a sort of OCD way to do things and had problems with writhing.

That's why I thought that.

Was this stupid of me or are here others who have thought of that?

Yes I did read in some interview or other that Mika had been thought to be autistic as a child. There is a form of Autism that is not so bad as the usual, I think it's called something like Astburgher's Syndrome (probably not spelled right) and sufferers do have OCD symptoms, but can live a more normal life than people with full Autism. I suppose, even with Astburghers Syndrome it can vary in severity, so Mika could indeed have AS to some degree, but that's only speculation with no real evidence to back it up

I have a strange habit. At occurrence of any problem I come to the correct decision only after the set of attempts to solve its different ways. Though often at once I know, what exactly needs to be made. But the unique correct decision I leave at last, exhausting myself to unnecessary researches. And on hundred times in succession I wash my face)).

" A syndrome of persuasive conditions " - Russian synonym of illness. Therefore I was surprised, that never met such illness in medical directories. In Russia avoid to come to doctors with similar. It will spoil all life.

Yes I did read in some interview or other that Mika had been thought to be autistic as a child. There is a form of Autism that is not so bad as the usual, I think it's called something like Astburgher's Syndrome (probably not spelled right) and sufferers do have OCD symptoms, but can live a more normal life than people with full Autism. I suppose, even with Astburghers Syndrome it can vary in severity, so Mika could indeed have AS to some degree, but that's only speculation with no real evidence to back it up

Aspbergers Syndrome.

:wink2: