mari62

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from facebook:

Mika describes Heroes as one of the most lyrically charged songs from the new record and one that means the most to him. Find out more about how he wrote the track, by clicking play below!

And for an exclusive clip of the song click here: http://snd.sc/SbCcWJ

Order your copy of new album The Origin Of Love at http://www.mikasounds.com

cmaMfyD0HfY

now I can't stop listening to the song after the explanation... so touching and sad. but at the same time I love it so much. you can tell here that he really means it from his heart and puts it all in it, and that's why I like him so much :blush-anim-cl::wub2:

reminds me of "Any other world" :tears:

Transcripiton of Heroes (Track By Track)

(subject to be corrected)

The song ''Heroes’’ is the one song on the album along with ‘’The Origin Of Love’’ which lyrically is the most charged and means the most to me. It’s about war, it’s about peace, it talks about a soldier who comes back from the war and he looks physically unharmed, and he looks physically completely fine, but inside he is destroyed and, so he comes back, and, he’s no longer a soldier and the life that he knows no longer exists, so he is traumatized by what he's seen, he can’t integrate himself to real life again, but everyone looks at him like ‘’You’re the lucky one’’, you know, ‘’you’re fine, look at you, you’re not missing a limb’’. It’s inspired by a taxi driver that I had driving me from my place in London to the studio one day, he was telling me how, when he found out that I was Lebanese, he was talking about how he had spent a lot of time in Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon, although the problems he encountered.

The song opens with the line

’’The kids in the hundreds tomorrow

Will march through the door

Fighting someone else's war’’

And that line was inspired by a Housman poem. Housman wrote this poem called ‘’The lads in their hundreds’’ and it’s about the generation that was practically wiped out in World War I and all these young men who’ve died in the war. Mine is slightly different, it goes, there's lines in it that go

''Don’t you know

That heroes aren't meant to survive?

They're so much harder for us to love when they’re alive

And you're broke now with the devil in your head

And you think you’re better off dead

But you don't understand

Why no one else can see

Your blood on you

And my blood on me’’

And, it’s, it’s kinda sad, especially in America, where I was writing the song, where there’s so little left for these soldiers when they come back, and life can be extremely hard and there’s very little support mechanism in place to help them as they go, one of the hardest, hitting lines in the song, is the breakdown, which goes

''And I wish there was a way

To give you a hand to hold

Cause you know now

That you don't have to die in your glory

To never grow old’’

I’ve been asked to take it off the record, people were saying it was too dark, that it doesn’t have a place, but that’s pretty dumb, because if you say something like that to me is gonna be pretty much the only reason I’m going to put it on the record, I love it, it’s lyrically probably my favorite and musically is pretty beautiful. And it’s also the product of another really healthy collaboration between a band that I discovered online, The Hi Hi’s and it’s nice to do things with people that you've never heard of and to take risks.

Edited by BiaIchihara

The song ''Heroes’’ is the one song on the album along with ‘’The Origin Of Love’’ which lyrically is the most charged and means the most to me. It’s about war, it’s about peace, it talks about a soldier who comes back from the war and he looks physically unharmed, and he looks physically completely fine, but inside he is destroyed and, so he comes back, and, he’s no longer a soldier and the life that he knows no longer exists, so he is promotised, but what he see, he can’t integrate himself to real life again, but everyone looks at him like ‘’You’re the lucky one’’, you know, ‘’you’re fine, look at you, you’re not missing them’’. It’s inspired by a taxi driver that I had driving me from my place in London to the studio one day, he was telling me how, when he found out that I was Lebanese, he was talking about how he would spending a lot of time in Iraq in the sun and on Lebanon, although the problems he counted.

And that line was inspired by a Housman poem. Housman wrote this poem called ‘’The lads in their hundreds’’ and it’s about the generation that was practically... in World War I and all these young men who’ve died in the war. Mine is slightly different, it goes, this line is meant to go

''Don’t you know

There’s so much harder for us to love when they’re alive

And you broke now with the devil in your head

But you don't understand

Why no one else can see

Your blood on you

And my blood on me’’

And, it’s, it’s kinda sad, especially in America, where I was writing the song, where there’s so little left to these soldiers when they come back, and life can be extremely hard and there’s very little support in place to help... them to go, one of the hardest, hitting lines in the song, is the breakdown, which goes

Cause you know now

To never grow old’’

I’ve.. to take off the record, people were saying it was too dark, that it doesn’t have a place, but that’s pretty dumb, because if you say something like that to me is gonna be pretty much the only reason I’m going to put it on the record, I love it, it’s lyrically probably my favorite and musically is pretty beautiful. And it’s also the proactive of another really helpful collaboration between a band that I discovered online, The Hi Hi’s and it’s nice to do things with people they've never heard of taking risks.

:lmfao:

I've been thinking a lot about Heroes since I heard it first, last week. I actually believe it's the best song on the album. I'll explain why I think that.

It has nothing to do with whether it's the best song for a single. There are many songs on the album that would make great singles. But Heroes, I believe, could be more than that.

Most people hate the idea of war. Only govenments start wars, or send troops into someone else's war. Ordinary citizens DON'T want to see young men, from any country, dying for no good reason.

I see Heroes as a song that is going to touch people in a deep place. It's a beautiful song with a sad, beautifully sung verse, and a stunning, spine tingling, but still sad, churus, that's, once again, beautifully sung by Mika.

I could see this song being a surprise hit all over the globe, and being used for films and programes about war and conflict.

I really hope I'm right about this. I think this song will show the world what Mika is capable of as a writer, and also, how caring he is as a human being, and it doesn't hurt that he's the best singer in the world, and this song shows that aswell.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Thanks for all the work in transcribing Bia, I've just added a couple of things...

The song ''Heroes’’ is the one song on the album along with ‘’The Origin Of Love’’ which lyrically is the most charged and means the most to me. It’s about war, it’s about peace, it talks about a soldier who comes back from the war and he looks physically unharmed, and he looks physically completely fine, but inside he is destroyed and, so he comes back, and, he’s no longer a soldier and the life that he knows no longer exists, so he is traumatized by what he's seen, he can’t integrate himself to real life again, but everyone looks at him like ‘’You’re the lucky one’’, you know, ‘’you’re fine, look at you, you’re not missing a limb’’. It’s inspired by a taxi driver that I had driving me from my place in London to the studio one day, he was telling me how, when he found out that I was Lebanese, he was talking about how he had spent a lot of time in Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon, although the problems he encountered.

And that line was inspired by a Housman poem. Housman wrote this poem called ‘’The lads in their hundreds’’ and it’s about the generation that was practically wiped out in World War I and all these young men who’ve died in the war. Mine is slightly different, it goes, there's lines in it that go

''Don’t you know

They're so much harder for us to love when they’re alive

And you're broke now with the devil in your head

But you don't understand

Why no one else can see

Your blood on you

And my blood on me’’

And, it’s, it’s kinda sad, especially in America, where I was writing the song, where there’s so little left for these soldiers when they come back, and life can be extremely hard and there’s very little support mechanism in place to help them as they go, one of the hardest, hitting lines in the song, is the breakdown, which goes

Cause you know now

To never grow old’’

I’ve been asked to take it off the record, people were saying it was too dark, that it doesn’t have a place, but that’s pretty dumb, because if you say something like that to me is gonna be pretty much the only reason I’m going to put it on the record, I love it, it’s lyrically probably my favorite and musically is pretty beautiful. And it’s also the product of another really healthy collaboration between a band that I discovered online, The Hi Hi’s and it’s nice to do things with people that you've never heard of and to take risks.

This song is starting to grow on me and I don't think it's too dark for the record. Maybe a bit political? But for darkness I don't think it tops Overrated.

I don't know if I read earlier that this song was about WWI so maybe I've been unconsciously biased but that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. I've always felt the most haunted by that war because it was modern enough to be catastrophically destructive to so many lives but long enough ago that people didn't seem to have the same rights and free will they do in western society today. I found my great grandfather's enlistment papers last year and it was very strange to see my great grandmother had signed them because during my childhood I knew her so well. There hasn't been war on Canadian soil in 200 years so it's very foreign for us, especially for people who were born long after WWII.

Most people hate the idea of war. Only govenments start wars, or send troops into someone else's war. Ordinary citizens DON'T want to see young men, from any country, dying for no good reason.

Unfortunately they are not seeing a lot of it in the US. Casualties and soldiers coming home in coffins are downplayed as much as possible and the wars are too abstract for many people to be as outraged as they should be. Sometimes I think that conscription is the only answer because if everyone had to send their own sons and husbands to war instead of someone else's they would not tolerate it carrying on any longer.

I could see this song being a surprise hit all over the globe, and being used for films and programes about war and conflict.

I could see that too.

http://www.bartleby.com/123/23.html

A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad. 1896.

XXIII. The lads in their hundreds

THE LADS in their hundreds to Ludlow come in for the fair,

There’s men from the barn and the forge and the mill and the fold,

The lads for the girls and the lads for the liquor are there,

And there with the rest are the lads that will never be old.

There’s chaps from the town and the field and the till and the cart, 5

And many to count are the stalwart, and many the brave,

And many the handsome of face and the handsome of heart,

And few that will carry their looks or their truth to the grave.

I wish one could know them, I wish there were tokens to tell

The fortunate fellows that now you can never discern; 10

And then one could talk with them friendly and wish them farewell

And watch them depart on the way that they will not return.

But now you may stare as you like and there’s nothing to scan;

And brushing your elbow unguessed-at and not to be told

They carry back bright to the coiner the mintage of man, 15

The lads that will die in their glory and never be old.

Thanks for all the work in transcribing Bia, I've just added a couple of things...

you're welcome, thanks for helping me too :huglove:

This song is starting to grow on me and I don't think it's too dark for the record. Maybe a bit political? But for darkness I don't think it tops Overrated.

+1

I've been thinking a lot about Heroes since I heard it first, last week. I actually believe it's the best song on the album. I'll explain why I think that.

It has nothing to do with whether it's the best song for a single. There are many songs on the album that would make great singles. But Heroes, I believe, could be more than that.

I see Heroes as a song that is going to touch people in a deep place. It's a beautiful song with a sad, beautifully sung verse, and a stunning, spine tingling, but still sad, churus, that's, once again, beautifully sung by Mika.

I really hope I'm right about this.I think this song will show the world what Mika is capable of as a writer, and also, how caring he is as a human being, and it doesn't hurt that he's the best singer in the world, and this song shows that aswell.

what you said is simply :wub2:

hope you're right about this (the bolded part) too :thumb_yello:

Edited by BiaIchihara

[YOUTUBE]Xka-XBAAsmA[/YOUTUBE]

That's a lovely TBT. It's so good that he lets his co-writers sing on the cd, as they would always do a better job than someone who dosn't really get the song and is just doing it for fame or money.

I love the girl's vocals on SWM, I think her voice goes so well with Mika's