The appleman can!!! - The official SEQUEL!

Kata

I'm kind of put off by how so many of the post on the RIP thread are all "so horrible, can you imagine what it would be like if that happened to Mika? Mika don't suicide or take drugs!!!" and all that. I understand the thought process, but Mika really has nothing to do with it and is currently in no danger of either option. (I mean, Heath's situation is also unexpected and shocking, but really, Mika is at this point as far from such concerns as can be.)

In a way I feel it cheapens Heath's life and death that it must be mourned in context of Mika. He deserves to be mourned entirely for his own sake.

--Jack

Yeah, I could see where it was headed as soon as Mika's name was brought up.

The Mika suicide/drug thing is really out there. I'm really not going to go in a blind panic over that possibility because Heath Ledger died.

I swear this forum is getting weirder and weirder. People are just so wrapped up in Mika they have no perspective on the outside world and a really tenuous grasp on reality.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm kind of put off by how so many of the post on the RIP thread are all "so horrible, can you imagine what it would be like if that happened to Mika? Mika don't suicide or take drugs!!!" and all that. I understand the thought process, but Mika really has nothing to do with it and is currently in no danger of either option. (I mean, Heath's situation is also unexpected and shocking, but really, Mika is at this point as far from such concerns as can be.)

In a way I feel it cheapens Heath's life and death that it must be mourned in context of Mika. He deserves to be mourned entirely for his own sake.

--Jack

I think it's also a put-ourselves-in-their-shoes situation - we're a fan community. It's likely that somewhere out there, there's a Heath Ledger fan community. (Maybe, maybe not, as it seems his site is down).

I think people are envisioning a Heath Fan Club that functions like the MFC - and by that extension, they're considering a community where the star at the centre of it all has been snuffed out. By extension, they transfer that to this community, and think of how hard most of us would take it if our "star" were snuffed out.

Yes, Mika is currently not in danger of OD-ing on anything, at least as far as we can reasonably tell - but neither was Heath just one year into his career. That's what frightens people. There's a lot of dangerous drug use and untimely endings that happen to celebs, especially younger ones. Heath is certainly not the first, and I don't believe he will be the last.

Has this surfaced before? I didn't realize Appleman's title was known outside the boundaries of the MFC; he's famous! :shocked:

From Mikey's MySpace:

Picture1-2.jpg

Awesome. :roftl:

Perhaps it is not known outside the boundaries of MFC, but Mikey Choi (not to mention Mika) falls within those boundaries, don't you think?

Has this surfaced before? I didn't realize Appleman's title was known outside the boundaries of the MFC; he's famous! :shocked:

From Mikey's MySpace:

Picture1-2.jpg

Neat-o! I wonder if it's the same Appleman that Kata and Vally are referring to when creating this thread. It's too much of a coincidence, so it has to be...Kata's been up late the last little while (wonder if she's still around to confirm or if we have to wait until the morning...)

Thanks for finding that lollipop_monkey (you are a little sleuth/stalker! :naughty: )

From Mikey's MySpace:

Picture1-2.jpg

It has surfaced before. That is the reason why I only have Mikey as a friend from the band :naughty: . I have the picture on my bedside table :mf_rosetinted: .

As for your other discussion:

I didn't read the whole RIP thread. Just wrote my message. I was really shocked because I always saw Heath like Jack: as a stable, talented young actor. A comparison to Mika never crossed my mind before I read it here. Its sad that people have to relate it to Mika. I mean there are certain things he has just nothing to do with and deaths like these should be treated respectfully and not disappear in the overall fan hysteria.

yes, I agree. it's normal a sudden death of someone famous causes some commotion.

as deep as all the previous pages discussions are and true either, that there are plenty of unnoticed deaths all around the world and that people should stop going histeric about mika for every single detail that may arise, I agree all this doesn't diminish one bit the fact I feel sorry for a young person, apparently healthy, I liked, even if just that, and that i found out today is suddenly gone.

no tragedy, no inane blabbing. just that.

--Jack

Don’t you think it has to do with the fact that there are people in all ages and stages of maturity in this forum?

Reading about how helpless you can feel when it comes to the difference of living conditions for people around the world made me think of this little story:

I little girl was walking on the beach with her mother. On the beach there were lot of clams who had been flushed ashore by a storm.

The girl picked up clam after clam and throwed them back into the water.

Her mother thought it took too long time and asked the girl to stop picking up the clams, saying, please hurry, it doesn’t make a difference, you can’t help them all anyway.

The little girl looked at the clam in her hand and said, for this one it makes a difference and throwed it in the water.

The little girl looked at the clam in her hand and said, for this one it makes a difference and throwed it in the water.

I remember during the famine in North Africa in the 1980s we were constantly bombarded with images of children that looked more like corpses than human beings and you just learned to tune it out because it was too horrific and seemed like an insurmountable problem.

During Live 8 a couple of years ago they were showing some of this footage and then brought out a girl in her 20s. She was tall and healthy and beautiful, well spoken and well educated. She had been the baby in the film who was so malnourished and living in such squalid conditions you couldn't imagine she'd made it through that night.

It had a powerful impact seeing the difference the Live Aid effort in the 80s had made, even if it was only to this one person's life.

Don’t you think it has to do with the fact that there are people in all ages and stages of maturity in this forum?

Reading about how helpless you can feel when it comes to the difference of living conditions for people around the world made me think of this little story:

I little girl was walking on the beach with her mother. On the beach there were lot of clams who had been flushed ashore by a storm.

Her mother thought it took too long time and asked the girl to stop picking up the clams, saying, please hurry, it doesn’t make a difference, you can’t help them all anyway.

Thanks for that Sienna...I was trying to elude to something similar in an earlier post (but of course, naturally reverted back to speaking of my kids like I always do).

I suppose what I meant to convey, was that a person doesn't have to go to great extremes to make a difference in this world. Third world poverty is a world so far away for me. We need to wake up in the morning and give our best to our loved ones first, say "good morning" to our next door neighbours, and smile once in awhile.

Small acts of random kindness set off a chain reaction that can lead to so much good.

It doesn't make sense to strive and exert so much time and effort a million miles away from home, when you can't even make peace with your mother over the last bitter argument. There are important things in life to live for right in front of our eyes - we don't have to go so far away...

I remember during the famine in North Africa in the 1980s we were constantly bombarded with images of children that looked more like corpses than human beings and you just learned to tune it out because it was too horrific and seemed like an insurmountable problem.

During Live 8 a couple of years ago they were showing some of this footage and then brought out a girl in her 20s. She was tall and healthy and beautiful, well spoken and well educated. She had been the baby in the film who was so malnourished and living in such squalid conditions you couldn't imagine she'd made it through that night.

It had a powerful impact seeing the difference the Live Aid effort in the 80s had made, even if it was only to this one person's life.

THESE are why i'm thinking that way, for who asked me in the previous pages yesterday night :thumb_yello:

i didn't know the story about the clams (very cute and so true) but i know exactly who christine is talking about, i saw her too during Live 8 broadcast :thumb_yello:

THESE are why i'm thinking that way, for who asked me in the previous pages yesterday night :thumb_yello:

i didn't know the story about the clams (very cute and so true) but i know exactly who christine is talking about, i saw her too during Live 8 broadcast :thumb_yello:

I missed that. I think putting more emphasis on hope instead of misery and despair media-wise, like it obviously has been done there, is a good thought.

There's an awful lot of negativity to cope with in a lot of people's everyday lives already, that being confronted with the apparently hopeless situations of others in addition is just unbearable. So I guess giving people the opportunity to visualize the difference they can make (an thus that they can make a difference indeed) might change their approach.

I'm back. I wonder how did I last several days without making sarcastic comments to strangers on the other side of the world? :naughty: My exam was a complete f*cking bitch and I've most likely failed it and will have to repeat the subject and since its a prerequisite therefore the whole year. :yay: But it was slightly made up for by a spa/facial straight after it (a birthday present) and now a big serving of Turkish Delight cheesecake.

There's been some very interesting discussion in this thread while I've been away. :thumb_yello:

Finally, I would like to say that the chilling effect of this past

weekend's "episode" has worked on me as well,

as I'm afraid to say much of anything to certain people now, too.

It's a shame.

But what DID happen last weekend? I'm curious

I'm curious too, what happened?

actually, i'm quite an idealist and a utopist behind my sarcastic comments...

That's exactly how I would describe myself. I'm cynical on a day-to-day basis yet idealistic in a big-picture/dreams sense. I still haven't figured out how those two go together...

but i think being aware of the situation, you can't help everyone, and have to know it to stand it. but doing nothing instead of helping this or this cause whereas the other is "left alone" can't be right for me. i mean nobody's gonna save nobody taken one by one ! but all together, maybe there is a chance to make things better... MAYBE ! and that maybe helps me going on in that spirit...

I agree! I know that one person can't help everyone but if you can help even one person it's worth it. And if more people work together the more we'll achieve.

maybe just to convince myself i'm not so useless in the world :doh: how selfish of me, if you look at it closer...

That's a good point, I didn't think of it like that. :blink:

I'm not judging you for that. I've made the same choices. But you're not being honest with yourself if you think you can't do anything at all about it. You've weighed the cost/benefit and come to the conclusion that you can't do enough to make it worth the sacrifice of your own comfortable life.

That's fair enough. But when I do my cost-benefit analyses it seems worth it.

I'm not seeing how I'm not being honest with myself. Okay, I spend my days helping oil companies woo existing shareholders and entice new ones - that doesn't help Parisian kids, obviously. It's not about performing a cost/benefit analysis on the tribulations of Parisian kids versus my own desire to sit in a warm home with a decently-stocked fridge.

But even if I did make the choice to try and help one cause, there's hundreds, maybe thousands more. If I were doing my part to help feed poor kids in France, I'd be doing nothing to encourage peace in Lebanon, or to help the abuse victims in London. I could dedicate my whole life and my whole self to those starving Parisian kids, but there would still be nothing I could do for those Lebanese war victims.

And so, I go about my merry life refusing to dwell on all the things I'm not doing, because that is, indeed, a very long list.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but because you can't help them all you choose to help none? Yes, as we can't do it all it involves choosing who to help and who to not help but isn't it better to help some than none? If you can't fix all of the wrongs in the world, isn't it better to fix those few that you can?

Thanks for that Sienna...I was trying to elude to something similar in an earlier post (but of course, naturally reverted back to speaking of my kids like I always do).

I suppose what I meant to convey, was that a person doesn't have to go to great extremes to make a difference in this world. Third world poverty is a world so far away for me. We need to wake up in the morning and give our best to our loved ones first, say "good morning" to our next door neighbours, and smile once in awhile.

Small acts of random kindness set off a chain reaction that can lead to so much good.

It doesn't make sense to strive and exert so much time and effort a million miles away from home, when you can't even make peace with your mother over the last bitter argument. There are important things in life to live for right in front of our eyes - we don't have to go so far away...

This is also true. We need a balance of near-thinking and far-thinking both near and far IMO. 'Charity begins in the home' but those who don't have the fortune to be near us don't deserve our help any less.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but because you can't help them all you choose to help none?

It's not about throwing up my hands and saying that if I can't do everything, I won't do anything. In terms of "causes", I volunteered to fold shirts for a breast cancer fundraiser (since I wasn't brave enough to tackle the freakin' 60 km marathon), and I donated to a local charity that helps the working poor find transitional housing.

But, that's all that comes to mind. If "little things" are taken into account, I spent an hour talking to a friend tonight who's considering filing for divorce, instead of curling up with a cup of tea and watching trashy television. I agreed to adopt my elderly aunt's 8 year-old poodle rather than having her be put to sleep, despite the fact that she knows no basic commands and is only marginally housebroken.

So those are my clams, so to speak. I picked 'em up, and threw 'em back in the ocean. But now I'm going to keep walking, and not sit and obsess over all the clams that I could not and will not get to.

So I guess what I should have said is, I try to do my own little bit, up to my own established limits - but for the sake of my sanity, I won't focus on all the other things I could have done. And that, to me anyhow, explains why I can be saddend by Heath Ledger's death despite the starving kids and abandoned kittens in my own hometown.

It's not about throwing up my hands and saying that if I can't do everything, I won't do anything. In terms of "causes", I volunteered to fold shirts for a breast cancer fundraiser (since I wasn't brave enough to tackle the freakin' 60 km marathon), and I donated to a local charity that helps the working poor find transitional housing.

But, that's all that comes to mind. If "little things" are taken into account, I spent an hour talking to a friend tonight who's considering filing for divorce, instead of curling up with a cup of tea and watching trashy television. I agreed to adopt my elderly aunt's 8 year-old poodle rather than having her be put to sleep, despite the fact that she knows no basic commands and is only marginally housebroken.

So those are my clams, so to speak. I picked 'em up, and threw 'em back in the ocean. But now I'm going to keep walking, and not sit and obsess over all the clams that I could not and will not get to.

So I guess what I should have said is, I try to do my own little bit, up to my own established limits - but for the sake of my sanity, I won't focus on all the other things I could have done. And that, to me anyhow, explains why I can be saddend by Heath Ledger's death despite the starving kids and abandoned kittens in my own hometown.

That's fair enough. Everyone sets their own limits. I'm just of the opinion that too many people set their limit too low out of either ignorance, apathy or laziness. If more people were willing to do more I'm sure that something more substantial could be achieved than what is presently.

I'm curious too, what happened?

I think you witnessed just about all of it. That's right, much ado about nothing.

That's fair enough. But when I do my cost-benefit analyses it seems worth it.

I'm not talking about doing what you can from the confines of your comfortable life to help one person at a time. I'm talking about wholesale life changes that would see you on the ground in Iraq trying to mitigate the damage of war or whatever instead of sitting in an office in Canada. Perhaps you are too, but I wanted to clarify.

I could be in South Africa right now trying to shoe the children I saw walking around with plastic grocery bags on their feet, but instead I'm on my way to work in Toronto because I need to pay for the Mika shows I want to see in the next month.

So I guess what I should have said is, I try to do my own little bit, up to my own established limits.

That's what I meant when I mentioned cost/benefit analysis. That's what has prompted you to set the limits where you have rather than at some other point on the spectrum that would be leaning more towards self-sacrifice.

I don't want to belabor the point because I'm not judging you or saying you should alter those limits. Believe me, I'm in no position to tell anyone they should be making less selfish choices! I'm as selfish as they come, at least when it comes to people I don't consider part of my circle, which is 99.99%+ of the human population.

*takes misanthropy lessons from Christine* :naughty:

Yeah I've really stepped it up since I moved back to Canada because Toronto is so full of f*ckers. The only reason anyone even speaks to you is if they want money or sex.

There are people on the streets here with highlights in their hair and $100 trainers on their feet begging for money. After living in Africa I find them disgusting and won't even give them a second of my time, muchless cash.

I'm not talking about doing what you can from the confines of your comfortable life to help one person at a time. I'm talking about wholesale life changes that would see you on the ground in Iraq trying to mitigate the damage of war or whatever instead of sitting in an office in Canada. Perhaps you are too, but I wanted to clarify... That's what I meant when I mentioned cost/benefit analysis. That's what has prompted you to set the limits where you have rather than at some other point on the spectrum that would be leaning more towards self-sacrifice.

I think you're totally right with that...however, where does one draw the line?

You or I could pack up our comfortable Canadian lives tomorrow, relocate to Iraq, and spend entire days devoted to helping that battered country. Which is far more than we do now. But even then, we'd still have to draw limits somewhere. Even if we spent all day pursuing causes in Iraq to better the lives of those there, putting ourselves in all sorts of great danger, there would still be so much going on that we'd have no effect on. There would still be young girls denied educational opportunities, still be young teenagers homeless and hooked on drugs. I suppose you could argue that if we spent all day, every day dedicated to those Iraqi citizens we wouldn't have time to care about other issues - but I suppose that is also just another form of avoidance.

I guess I'm just getting tired of having to think so much about what I post. Yeh I am a bit concerned about the younglings, but as said before it shouldn't be my problem, so it shouldn't affect what I can or cannot post, I am not posting pornography anyway. But then I have to think about the people who might be offended when I post something, we can't have that. We all have to be friends or we'll have to get therapy and whatnot. Great, well I am trying not to offend people and I don't think I'm being that offensive anyway. But then I have to think about what might offend Mika, in case he should read the forum. Yeah right and what's next? I have to think about what might offend the pope or the queen of Denmark in case they stop by? I don't give a **** what Mika thinks about my posts on a forum he doesn't post on, if he has any complaints he can send me a PM. What I do care about is if I am seen as a horrible person because I post something that a guy who doesn't post here might find offensive! I'm a member of his ****ing fanclub and invest more time in this than in my own life, if that's not respectful enough then what the hell is? And who is to tell me how I am to respect the man after all? Well why the hell do I bother posting at all :boxed:

I just want to say to Kata that this post is amaaaazing :thumb_yello:

Love From Anonymous Lurker.

P.s. Carry on :mf_rosetinted:

I've just come back from a really nice evening with Kata and Blue, they were in London after seeing Palladium in Brighton on Friday night and today (Sunday) they're going to Bristol to see Palladium.

We went to Chez Marcelle and had some Lebanese etc etc.:mf_rosetinted:

I've just come back from a really nice evening with Kata and Blue, they were in London after seeing Palladium in Brighton on Friday night and today (Sunday) they're going to Bristol to see Palladium.

We went to Chez Marcelle and had some Lebanese etc etc.:mf_rosetinted:

you are so lucky :) I'd love to be able to meet people from here......one day I hope it happens :blush-anim-cl: