Mika Management Letter

deano

Ok then, let's discuss... :wink2:

Thoughts:

Mika's management should inform us fans when they'll cancel a gig.

They should do it as soon as they possibly can.

The best case would be if they would inform us even a slightest possibility of a cancellation - immediately.

It could make some people sad but I personally would be happy for news like that.

I mean it's better than the last minute shock. :shocked:

The reasons for the cancellations would be nice to hear from some official path.

I mean, an internet gossip site isn't really my thought of a source I can trust.

As much as I would like to think "I love Mika, that's all that counts."

I can't numb my mind with that if Im a student with no income,

unfortunated to live in a country which I think Mika would be unprofitable to land on,

and decided to see him live (cause I highly love what he does),

bear some really ugly comments of my "fanatism" and pay for a ticket to see him + flights to some country he's scheduled for.

(Which would mean a non-food school year for me).

If I would hear the last days that he's not coming, I would be sad. :blink:

If the reason for the cancellation would be unclear/missleading/err... another gig.

In that case I think I would be left with a disbelief and shock. I would feel fooled at least.

I imagine I would feel like this:

It's a one huge party when I've decided to jump to the well.

I really make an effort to open the deck of the well.

Since Im in the well, it's just cold, dark, wet and lonely. O___o

(I know it's not really the best comparison you've seen.)

Luckily this hasn't happened to me!!

I don't feel Im moaning here. Im aware that in this message, there's a lack of some of the positive stuff I've experienced concerning about Mika gigs... :yay:

Nicely put Satu, I was too close to be rational! :shocked:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

avoca from holiday place. good idea, deano. I am in it. I did send him a note about how I feel bu I'll gladly join in if I can still do that once I am back from hols, in sept.

I have been reading a LOT of complaints and negativity regarding the canceling of shows recently.

I can understand why people got so angry, and I feel for them.

I am NOT going to give my thoughts or opinion on the matter, however, I was keen to let people have free speech and get stuff off their chest.

However, I believe it is now getting like a stuck record. I don't know about you guys, but personally I think it is getting quite boring now.

So how about we use our powers as the best Mika fans on the net, and instead of just complaining or sulking, we do something about it?

I am now in contact with Mika's management, and if he was over booked, then perhaps it was their fault? More specifically it may have been his tour managers fault?

So how about we use this thread to compile a letter, and I will personally ensure that everyone in Mika's management reads it.

Those who still feel angry or upset can add their thoughts, and I will compile the best parts from each person.

Then, we can hopefully move on and stop living in the past.

We have the power to make a difference, to ensure this doesn't happen again. Whining will achieve NOTHING, but this could make a difference.

Dean

My thoughts:

Dear Mika's management

The Mika Fan Club (www.mikafanclub.com) has been supporting Mika since its inception in ways unrivaled by any other Mika forum. The MFC has kept members informed of developments in Mika's career, bookings, concerts, photos, videos, everything else fan clubs usually do plus more. MFC members go to HUGE lengths to get tickets for Mika's events, sometimes outside their home countries, co-ordinating tickets for other members and meet-ups but more than that, the MFCers are the ones promoting MIKA, his music and the MFC to others everywhere they go.

However, we at MFC also have had the unenviable position of posting to the forums about cancellations, and hearing heartbreaking stories of fans (often with their young children) who often travel internationally at great personal expense to see Mika's gigs which then may or may not happen. The variety of reasons for no-shows appear highly suspect when inexpicably, the forum carries reports of gigs on either the same day, or either side of no-shows, where Mika has appeared alive and healthy and not suffering from the various illnesses purported to be the cause of the cancellations.

Without some kind of official statement from management to fans through the MFC, the rumors fly, talk of deception and lies, fans leaving the forum, reports batter us from other media of Mika's no shows...just as the internet has made Mika so big so fast, so it can also unmake him at lightning speed.

We appreciate the efforts that have been made this week to appease fans in the US, but these actions do not compensate the fans who suffered the financial (and often emotional) hardships in other parts of the world. The efforts this week confirm Mika in our hearts as the nice guy he is, but we are concerned that the lack of communication between artist/management/fans is potentially damaging his reputation in several countries of the world.

We all want to see Mika succeed, especially over the long-term. But please don't lose sight of the real people who help him to succeed: the FANS. MFC is the most active and vocal support of MIKA on the net. Please don't ignore us, and please take the time respond to our concerns.

Or something along those lines. Feel free to use anything that might be helpful.

EXCELLENT

is possible to add our names to this letter when it gets sent, or w/e letter/email that gets sent?

I am very flattered that you guys liked my letter, but is it complete enough as it is?

I am thinking we may need some real stories from affected fans attached. The important thing is to keep the whole thing to a length that those busy management people will actually read it and not just toss it in the bin.

We want to be taken seriously. But they look at Mika as their commercial product, and I guess only one of their many products. So we probably need to appeal to them on the basis of the cancellations negatively impacting their product's marketability...that is how "vulgar" the industry is (to use Mika's word!!)

So we might not get the personal satisfaction we are seeking regarding the cancellations until now, but we might be able to impact their decision making for future shows. And there is no harm in suggesting that Mika re-trace his steps to the countries where he cancelled, and offer extra gigs to disgruntled fans. (if they are still waiting loyally for him, which many may not be!!)

So I don't think the letter I wrote should necessarily go off "as is", it probably needs some polishing and embellishments. Happy to help further as time permits.:biggrin2:

just for the record I didn't see cazgirls post. But I am sure the majority of us had the same idea... Pretty obvious one to be honest.

But obviously, a letter is useless if management can't read it.

LIES!!!

haha jokes :D

i shall read the other pages now to gather everyones suggestions, and then i shall finally turn serious in this thread. (yes, i can do serious..)

I am very flattered that you guys liked my letter, but is it complete enough as it is?

I am thinking we may need some real stories from affected fans attached. The important thing is to keep the whole thing to a length that those busy management people will actually read it and not just toss it in the bin.

We want to be taken seriously. But they look at Mika as their commercial product, and I guess only one of their many products. So we probably need to appeal to them on the basis of the cancellations negatively impacting their product's marketability...that is how "vulgar" the industry is (to use Mika's word!!)

So we might not get the personal satisfaction we are seeking regarding the cancellations until now, but we might be able to impact their decision making for future shows. And there is no harm in suggesting that Mika re-trace his steps to the countries where he cancelled, and offer extra gigs to disgruntled fans. (if they are still waiting loyally for him, which many may not be!!)

So I don't think the letter I wrote should necessarily go off "as is", it probably needs some polishing and embellishments. Happy to help further as time permits.:biggrin2:

Well BlueSky I think your letter is fantastic. However, I believe that example should be included:

Nibe (then performing in the UK on the same day or something)

Big Chill

I think we need to name the events that have caused more of a scandal to catch their attention. I also think that if BexxY/Avoca/EnFa etc come together and write down their accounts on the cancellations would be good. I know other people have had other concerts that they were going to cancelled, but as these are more vocal in their thoughts/opinions I believe that they may take more notice in the letter, as it's more personal.

Only if they're willing to take part of course (which I believe they are).

Well BlueSky I think your letter is fantastic. However, I believe that example should be included:

Nibe (then performing in the UK on the same day or something)

Big Chill

I think we need to name the events that have caused more of a scandal to catch their attention. I also think that if BexxY/Avoca/EnFa etc come together and write down their accounts on the cancellations would be good. I know other people have had other concerts that they were going to cancelled, but as these are more vocal in their thoughts/opinions I believe that they may take more notice in the letter, as it's more personal.

Only if they're willing to take part of course (which I believe they are).

totally agree with the examples!we are always told to put examples in our essays lol so let's do that in any case!

And there is no harm in suggesting that Mika re-trace his steps to the countries where he cancelled, and offer extra gigs to disgruntled fans. (if they are still waiting loyally for him, which many may not be!!)

I don't like the idea of Mika being a performing seal that has to run here and there trying to appease fans. That's how he we all (Mika, his management and fans) got into this mess in the first place.

I think the focus should be on the idea that direct communication with fans is something that is owed to us given that we are all voluntary promoters and supporters of Mika and his music. They are also obligated to honour the basic contract of ticket sales/performing as scheduled. When this contract must be broken for whatever reason, then a reasonable and timely explanation should be offered with as much advance notice as is humanly possible. Not timing that is convenient for them.

I think at least 90% of the harsh feelings surrounding these cancellations would have been averted if Mika had made a statement that he was ill/exhausted/whatever, that they needed to cancel X dates because of it and he is expected to be better for Y dates. That his schedule has been harried this year and although there are no confirmed tours for next year, we would be the first to know when he's able to reschedule.

It's crazy that in order to find out anything about Mika's performances we have to basically stalk him and check in with each constantly so that we don't miss out when tickets go on sale, when dates are cancelled, when plans change.

Mika is being handled in an old school fashion like he's some 1980s superstar. First of all, he's not a superstar and secondly it's 2007. His career and fanbase has been built in large part on exposure and hype via the internet. And the same lightening fast word of mouth that made him will break him if they don't get it together.

Between MySpace, Mika Sounds and MFC, he has the opportunity to easily speak directly to fans and appease their concerns. He doesn't have to run all over the globe, thrilling 100 people at a time, and building further resentment with many others.

totally agree with the examples!we are always told to put examples in our essays lol so let's do that in any case!

exactly. You have to PEE.

Point

Evidence

Explain

I don't like the idea of Mika being a performing seal that has to run here and there trying to appease fans. That's how he we all (Mika, his management and fans) got into this mess in the first place.

I think the focus should be on the idea that direct communication with fans is something that is owed to us given that we are all voluntary promoters and supporters of Mika and his music. They are also obligated to honour the basic contract of ticket sales/performing as scheduled. When this contract must be broken for whatever reason, then a reasonable and timely explanation should be offered with as much advance notice as is humanly possible. Not timing that is convenient for them.

I think at least 90% of the harsh feelings surrounding these cancellations would have been averted if Mika had made a statement that he was ill/exhausted/whatever, that they needed to cancel X dates because of it and he is expected to be better for Y dates. That his schedule has been harried this year and although there are no confirmed tours for next year, we would be the first to know when he's able to reschedule.

It's crazy that in order to find out anything about Mika's performances we have to basically stalk him and check in with each constantly so that we don't miss out when tickets go on sale, when dates are cancelled, when plans change.

Mika is being handled in an old school fashion like he's some 1980s superstar. First of all, he's not a superstar and secondly it's 2007. His career and fanbase has been built in large part on exposure and hype via the internet. And the same lightening fast word of mouth that made him will break him if they don't get it together.

Between MySpace, Mika Sounds and MFC, he has the opportunity to easily speak directly to fans and appease their concerns. He doesn't have to run all over the globe, thrilling 100 people at a time, and building further resentment with many others.

exactly. all we really need, if we're speaking realistically, is communication.

We would like an apology

We would like an explanation

We (the fans from all over the world, not just our bubble) would like to know in advance about any cancellations, unless something happens like Mika collapsed all of a sudden or something, in which case we would completely understand the short notice.

Many wise words here, Christine, but I have highlighted the ones most relevant to me.

All we really want is to be treated with a bit of respect really.

adding examples are an excellent tool to make things more concrete.

adding the example of August 10th and the show of GMA and the free concert in NY and then meanwhile in Quebec ...the fans are sad because he is not coming to their function that night. Just little examples like this...where fans feel disappointed. I do believe this is a management decision. and this letter is very necessary. we need the personal accounts. (its not my experience par say but could have been if I had entered the MIKA world months earlier).

After all Quebec was only one and 1/2 hour by plane from NY. There was no real way that he could have made it if he did the GMA by the road so I guess there was nothing he could do otherwise..had they booked the plane in advance it might have worked tho. just more thoughts of mine.

Suzanne

ps are we sending this by email or hard copy? Hard Copy by Registered Mail would be a good idea. More of an official touch.

Many wise words in this thread :mf_rosetinted:

Okay will try to say something without swearing now :boxed:

When I first heard Nibe festival was cancelled, I wasn't angry at all. I was very sad of course, especially since I had chosen to sell my Roskilde ticket, as I would be a mess to do both and I thought he was saving his voice for that.I also felt incredibly guilty for talking vally and Häschen into coming all the way to Denmark for a concert when he wouldn't be there - but I wasn't angry at all. We decided to make the best of it anyway, even if it was incredibly expensive to get there and it was raining like it has never rained before.

The anger came only when I started to recieve sms's that told me he had done a secret gig the evening before. To stand there in the rain and hear them announce from the stage that the man wasn't able to sing, knowing he had been on stage after Nibe was officially cancelled simply took a lot of the fun out of it all.

Because of the rain and the fact that the festival area in Roskilde was completely flooded, I was offered a very cheap ticket for that when I got home. I decided to not buy it unless it wasn't sold yet on the day he was to perform, but I never got that far as Roskilde was fortunately cancelled the night before - because of pneumonia. Two days later he was on stage at Oxegen and not only that, but we could also see pictures of him backstage with a pint - certainly not pneumonia.

At this point I was really angry and for each cancellation that came after this, I got more angry. And for each time the stories and excuses don't add up I got more and more bitter.

I got rid of my Way Out West ticket without losing a lot of money, so that's not a big problem, but I still have a very hard time just feeling happy for the people who got a free gig in NY on the day I was supposed to see him.

At any point here, a valid explanation or even just some kind of apology could have turned me completely around.A simple "I'm sorry" can do a hell of a lot of difference, whether it's from the man himself or from the people who actually messed up here. Even if we are "just" fans, it would be nice if someone would recognize that we are also human beings and that we have put a lot of effort into all this. I am extremely disappointed :boxed:

Many wise words in this thread :mf_rosetinted:

Okay will try to say something without swearing now :boxed:

When I first heard Nibe festival was cancelled, I wasn't angry at all. I was very sad of course, especially since I had chosen to sell my Roskilde ticket, as I would be a mess to do both and I thought he was saving his voice for that.I also felt incredibly guilty for talking vally and Häschen into coming all the way to Denmark for a concert when he wouldn't be there - but I wasn't angry at all. We decided to make the best of it anyway, even if it was incredibly expensive to get there and it was raining like it has never rained before.

The anger came only when I started to recieve sms's that told me he had done a secret gig the evening before. To stand there in the rain and hear them announce from the stage that the man wasn't able to sing, knowing he had been on stage after Nibe was officially cancelled simply took a lot of the fun out of it all.

Because of the rain and the fact that the festival area in Roskilde was completely flooded, I was offered a very cheap ticket for that when I got home. I decided to not buy it unless it wasn't sold yet on the day he was to perform, but I never got that far as Roskilde was fortunately cancelled the night before - because of pneumonia. Two days later he was on stage at Oxegen and not only that, but we could also see pictures of him backstage with a pint - certainly not pneumonia.

At this point I was really angry and for each cancellation that came after this, I got more angry. And for each time the stories and excuses don't add up I got more and more bitter.

I got rid of my Way Out West ticket without losing a lot of money, so that's not a big problem, but I still have a very hard time just feeling happy for the people who got a free gig in NY on the day I was supposed to see him.

At any point here, a valid explanation or even just some kind of apology could have turned me completely around.A simple "I'm sorry" can do a hell of a lot of difference, whether it's from the man himself or from the people who actually messed up here. Even if we are "just" fans, it would be nice if someone would recognize that we are also human beings and that we have put a lot of effort into all this. I am extremely disappointed :boxed:

Kata, that was very moving. Your post needs to be placed into the letter as an example. It really touched me and I can completely understand your point of view.

*sigh* what a mess, and so unnecessary.

Ok, I'm sorry, I'm gonna lose my temper here, but can we please shut the f*ck up about Canada?! It had nothing to do with GMA! There was no way Canada was gonna happen! He didn't owe anyone Canada!

That show was cancelled ahead of time, refunds were available, and there was even a statement about him not feeling well. There is nothing to complain about with Canada. It was a totally appropriate cancellation. Of ALL the cancellations that happened, it was the one that was handled best. And it was never even officially confirmed by Mika's camp in the first place! If you want to be angry about cancellations, then be angry about the ones in Kata's post, or about the utter lack of warning regarding Big Chill or whatnot.

As for Canada, he had been feeling unwell and so decided he couldn't properly perform at two gigs that day and so he cancelled it. Then, due to an unforeseen situation that was entirely out of Mika's control, GMA did not go as expected, and to keep people happy he did his hardest to give them another show to make up for it. Maybe he felt better that day than he expected, maybe he felt bad but decided to put on a game face and go through with it and then go crash.

In no way whatsoever did that obligate him to do anything about a previously called-off gig.

It's not like he planned to do the extra show in advance! It was a spur of the moment thing brought about by the specific and unusual circumstances of the day!

What did you expect him to do, go "Oh I am feeling better today, why don't I hop a plane to Canada and show up and when no one is expecting me anyway? Surprise!" Then you all would have been angry at him anyway because you have gotten rid of your tickets and weren't gonna be there.

Or maybe should he have thought, "hmm, I guess I can manage to do a few more songs for the people left out in the rain after all, but since I had to cancel on Canada, I'll just go to my hotel so everyone can be equally miserable"?

Argh argh argh.

Otherwise I basically agree with Christine. Communication, respect, timely notifications, etc etc etc. That we really should be able to expect.

--Jack

While I agree that AN example may be a good addition, and everything

could always use some wordsmithing or polishing, I'd warn against letting

the letter ramble on too long... what will happen then is it will seem like a

rant (whether it is or not), and it will lose its effectiveness.

I've found that in business letter

writing it's usually best to be short, sweet and to the point. Your letter is

more likely to READ in the first place, and then taken more seriously in

the second place. If it's too long, it may well be dismissed out of hand.

In my non-Mika fan life (I do have one! :wink2: ) I see a lot of complaining

letters, and I can assure you that the ones that are taken most seriously

are the ones that are concise, without a million details, and don't go off on tangents. Just my additional two cents. :)

Still think your letter is ace, Blue Sky!:thumb_yello:

dcdeb

Ok, I'm sorry, I'm gonna lose my temper here, but can we please shut the f*ck up about Canada?! It had nothing to do with GMA! There was no way Canada was gonna happen! He didn't owe anyone Canada!

That show was cancelled ahead of time, refunds were available, and there was even a statement about him not feeling well. There is nothing to complain about with Canada. It was a totally appropriate cancellation. Of ALL the cancellations that happened, it was the one that was handled best. And it was never even officially confirmed by Mika's camp in the first place! If you want to be angry about cancellations, then be angry about the ones in Kata's post, or about the utter lack of warning regarding Big Chill or whatnot.

As for Canada, he had been feeling unwell and so decided he couldn't properly perform at two gigs that day and so he cancelled it. Then, due to an unforeseen situation that was entirely out of Mika's control, GMA did not go as expected, and to keep people happy he did his hardest to give them another show to make up for it. Maybe he felt better that day than he expected, maybe he felt bad but decided to put on a game face and go through with it and then go crash.

In no way whatsoever did that obligate him to do anything about a previously called-off gig.

It's not like he planned to do the extra show in advance! It was a spur of the moment thing brought about by the specific and unusual circumstances of the day!

What did you expect him to do, go "Oh I am feeling better today, why don't I hop a plane to Canada and show up and when no one is expecting me anyway? Surprise!" Then you all would have been angry at him anyway because you have gotten rid of your tickets and weren't gonna be there.

Or maybe should he have thought, "hmm, I guess I can manage to do a few more songs for the people left out in the rain after all, but since I had to cancel on Canada, I'll just go to my hotel so everyone can be equally miserable"?

Argh argh argh.

Otherwise I basically agree with Christine. Communication, respect, timely notifications, etc etc etc. That we really should be able to expect.

--Jack

Agreed.

I mean, I can see why people are upset BECAUSE he cancelled and because they wont see him, but at least the canadians were told sooner. I'm not saying they shouldnt be upset at all, I would be a bit down if a Mika gig I was going to was cancelled, but if the gig I was going to was handled like Canada I wouldn't be angry myself.

Admittedly I haven't read every post, I haven't read ALL of the Canadians comments and don't be offended by Jack's post because she's not saying Canada should be ignored or anything, but I do agree that there isnt really anything to be "angry" about.

Feel free to write in the letter, feel free to say how angry you are about SOME of the cancellations and at how Mika and the band are treated (cancelled gig one day, doing a gig the next, confusion about illness = bad press) but I have to say that I feel that the cancelle Canada gig shouldn't be mentioned.

OR, it could be. Give examples of bad cancellations (Nibe/Big Chill) and then give an example of how it SHOULD be cancelled. That's where Canada comes in.

While I agree that AN example may be a good addition, and everything

could always use some wordsmithing or polishing, I'd warn against letting

the letter ramble on too long... what will happen then is it will seem like a

rant (whether it is or not), and it will lose its effectiveness.

I've found that in business letter

writing it's usually best to be short, sweet and to the point. Your letter is

more likely to READ in the first place, and then taken more seriously in

the second place. If it's too long, it may well be dismissed out of hand.

In my non-Mika fan life (I do have one! :wink2: ) I see a lot of complaining

letters, and I can assure you that the ones that are taken most seriously

are the ones that are concise, without a million details, and don't go off on tangents. Just my additional two cents. :)

Still think your letter is ace, Blue Sky!:thumb_yello:

dcdeb

Yeah I think so as well, but quotations/examples are needed I think to support what we are trying to say.

--Jack

Otherwise? I think I know what you meant, but just for everyone else's information I want to point out that I take no issue with the Canada cancellation - and I was a ticket holder.

I'm not sure why people can't distinguish between a short impromptu acoustic session at 1:30 a few blocks from the GMA studio, and an 8:30 festival in another country. As Jack pointed out there was no way he could compensate Québec fans on that day since the show had already been cancelled. So he did his best to make it up to the people who had actually arrived and were standing outside in the pouring rain just to catch a glimpse of him because they had been looking forward to his show in Bryant Park for months.

I was touched and almost saddened by the fact that Mika put on an extra show in NY when, judging by the rasp in his voice, he wasn't particularly up for it. I hate the fact that his PR has been so botched that he has to go to such lengths to do damage control when an earlier explanation/apology would have sufficed. And I also hate the fact that his effort didn't even pay off in some cases, as it seems to have generated further resentment in some fans who couldn't be there.

Otherwise? I think I know what you meant, but just for everyone else's information I want to point out that I take no issue with the Canada cancellation - and I was a ticket holder.

Sorry, I meant "otherwise than all the stuff I said in my post." :bleh: As in, I may be annoyed at the Canada gripping, but otherwise I fully understand the fan dissatisfaction with the cancellations and agree that there needs to be more accountability and better communication on the part of Mika's team.

And I agree again with your last post. I can't even imagine how it would feel to push yourself to put on a whole other show at last-minute for your fans when you may not be feeling your best just to make sure they all get a great experience (and because you're aware that you've been disappointing people lately), and then to find out that all you get for your efforts is more anger.

--Jack

I'm not sure why people can't distinguish between a short impromptu acoustic session at 1:30 a few blocks from the GMA studio, and an 8:30 festival in another country. As Jack pointed out there was no way he could compensate Québec fans on that day since the show had already been cancelled. So he did his best to make it up to the people who had actually arrived and were standing outside in the pouring rain just to catch a glimpse of him because they had been looking forward to his show in Bryant Park for months.

I was touched and almost saddened by the fact that Mika put on an extra show in NY when, judging by the rasp in his voice, he wasn't particularly up for it. I hate the fact that his PR has been so botched that he has to go to such lengths to do damage control when an earlier explanation/apology would have sufficed. And I also hate the fact that his effort didn't even pay off in some cases, as it seems to have generated further resentment in some fans who couldn't be there.

I can see why you were upset that Mika performed an extra gig on the same day when the show in Canada was cancelled on that day.

BUT - Mika has said that he is not the one who chooses which shows to do. It's his management that keep making a mess of things, not him.

I know you know that, after all this thread is dedicated to creating a letter to his management, but when people keep writing Mika all the time I think sometimes we (or probably just me) keep getting confused xDDD

I can see why you were upset that Mika performed an extra gig on the same day when the show in Canada was cancelled on that day.

BUT - Mika has said that he is not the one who chooses which shows to do. It's his management that keep making a mess of things, not him.

I know you know that, after all this thread is dedicated to creating a letter to his management, but when people keep writing Mika all the time I think sometimes we (or probably just me) keep getting confused xDDD

Caz sweetie, did you actually read Christine's post before you replied? :roftl:

--Jack