Hapy Ending video on YouTube

RAK1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.

I am not one of those who hate the video, but it's not like the "cheesyness" somehow disappears or is suddenly okay just because there's "meaning." As someone else said, there are plenty of videos out there that have meaning without any cheesyness.

--Jack

t'was me :blush-anim-cl:

i must admitt for once, i don't really agree with jack :blink: but i'm late and i'll write why later...

I don't really expect originality from Mika, at least not in that way. I expect a boatload of musical references, beloved memories, and allusions to his influences, but pulled together in a shiny new package with his own spin. When it works well, it should be so exhilarating that it shouldn't matter how much is original and how much is pastiche.

My beloved Oscar Wilde had a quote about that...

--Jack

this is what i don't agree with... the thing is : i don't disagree with you... not really, but what i don't agree with is the fact that you kinda "excuse" the video not being original turning it into some sort of reference/hint to Bowie or whatever...

i explain :

i don't understand the fact that someone who's been shouting everywhere and everytime he could that he was doing HIS thing, that he had listened to every sort of thing but wasn't really influenced by none of them, that he had admired songs, but not people's own universe, etc. etc. suddenly makes videos putting references to everyhting !!!

honestly : grace kelly and relax were the only original videos he made. grace kelly cause first one, and relax cause his artwork...

for all the following videos, EVERYONE found a "reference", "hint", "homage" to everything and his contrary, but most of all : found something FROM something ELSE in the videos... i'll give some exemples :

- love today video... i don't like it, ok... but i'm sure someone here will find that he was inspired by i don't know what for that or that part of the video... even his own videos !! i personally think that the end of love today video is a bit of a pale remake of gk video... same people, same fake amusement less well faked, etc. but there it only starts... it was still some personal and original kind of thing... but do you remember the black and white spiral in the white stripes' video for seven nation army ?? not really a spiral but still... veeeeeeeery similar... it made me thik of this video as soon as i watched lt video for the first time... and no, i'm not a "big fan" of the white stripes, i don't really care... so not a spiral, ok, remake of his own previous video ok... :fisch:

EDIT : sorry, i just watched a part of the video i linked you to... and actually, there IS a real black and white spiral from 2 min... sorry...

- big girl : i don't like it either, still personal... i found a video (french one of a bad song here) that had exactly the same begining and idea of big girl video... starting at the hair dresser, going in the streets, dancing in the streets with colourful clothes, etc. i'm not sure that bg video was inspired by this one, but the other video was out before, and it looks "better" because LESS CHEAP... and where the hell is the link between the butterfly lounge and dancing in the streets ?! i know some will hide behind the "unexpectable" argument but still...

and that's where the "cheap thing" starts...

- happy ending : our case : now, everybody finds something into it : remake of the movies labyrinth or science of sleep (i have seen none), homage to bowie, gloves for disney, blah blah blah... you get the point... but no "mika" in it, appart from the fact that it is his song, and it is him in the video... not even talking about the cheesiness at all ! he does whatever he wants, the fact is that what he's done is a remake of a lot of things all mixed up and that the result just looks cheap and bad (personal opinion, shared by some people here)... and for sure, not an original idea AT ALL...

so as we go, the videos are getting less and less original (in its real meaning, so FIRST TIME DONE), less and less "mika", cheaper and cheaper... what the hell are they doing ????????? really, i'm kinda doubtful... really... where is the guy that told us over and over that he was in control of everything and wanted to do something that had never been done before ???????

this is my point, this is why i said i don't agree with jack... i admit it was a little teaser, but anyway, i still don't agree on the fact that it's a good video :bleh:

I don't think he's posing in the video. They've slowed the speed of his movements down to give it a dreamlike quality so there's really no way he can appear natural. All of those lingering looks into the camera are an artefact of the slow motion.

My biggest complaint is that it's entirely unoriginal. Aside from the clichéd bits, anything that could be mistaken for original appears to have been ripped off elsewhere.

One of Mark Ronson's videos uses animated wall graffiti. Note one of them is a girl being lifted through the air because her arm is attached to balloons.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dYngU49mBQ8

The problem is, it doesn't work well!

And i guess i totally agree with that...

last last thing : for those (all those) making metaphysic analysis of a video... it's a VIDEO !!! people don't watch a video the think about how cruel the world is... they watch a video cause it looks good and puts in images the story of the song... a video can be unexpactable and still have a link with what the song says or what's the story behind the song, etc. so please, if there is their point (and i seriously doubt it), someone make them stop cause they're going staight in the wall !!! people don't think... and even less while watching a video :wink2:

bye bye !! until next time i pop in and play my role...

last last last thing : don't think i have nothing to do and spend my time thinking how mika's video look like this or that video... it's so obvious, that it just pops into my mind the first time i watch them, or when i see the video it's "inspired by" (it's a rip off of :naughty:)... no need to spend so much time about it, it's really obvious and first reaction thing (reflex)... it just takes much more time to write it down...

mhmm.... a different video for a different song! I didn't imagine a thing like this, but it happened for all the others vids and it's quite normal, as you listen to a song and immediately you try to associate images and colours to it.....

I think that in the bed part he could be more dressed (agree with Jack) maybe he could wear the same red jump suit he wore in the GK vid :blush-anim-cl: ; I love when he gets up from the bed and he looks down; it makes me smile when he sees the hands mouths singing "little bit of love" and he smiles and the all thing becomes more shining; also like the microphone part........it's a not-happy vid, as the song hasn't an "happy" contest and the atmosphere hadn't been more different......

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't think he was really enthusiastic to make a vid in general, he doesn't like make vid, yes, but I think the atmosphere this time was even more different than the GK one or LT.....

For the diva poses it's all a "director-opera", so he wasn't so free to make what he wants this time....

I think it's not in "Mika style", but I don't think we need to be aware about it, as it's quite obvious, at the same time Mika did a great job with it :thumb_yello:

Well uh... as to discuss originality I totally agree with you Yop!

(Btw... for someone who says he doesn't want to be compared to Mercury, singing Big girls after Fat-bottomed girls wasn't a very original act either ;) but this is another matter)

And now to Caz:

far more simple interpretation for me: he's asleep, wakes up by the power of love (balloons) when he meets a girl and is litterally lifted up to the air, the relationship ends, he falls a bit but some other kind of love prevents him from falling: the hands (friends/family, whatever)

Perhaps it doesn't even have to be about love.

The 'dream' could represent just that, a dream, in Mika's case his dream since he was 7 or so to be a successful musician..one moment everything is going great (the balloons rising) but sooner or later there are hard times when you feel as if you're falling, or alone, or unsure; however there are always people around you - friends, family, fans!! - who will lift you back up and restore your faith in your dream etc etc blah blah you get it!:bleh:

I'm sure Mika means for everyone to interpret the video in their own way, same as the song lyrics.

Yop, I completely understand where you're coming from about the whole original thing.

With Big Girl, Mika has said somewhere that they WERE going to shoot the video in LA, then somewhere else, but because of the tight schedule they filmed it in Croyden instead lol.

But, Mika is not the director of his own videos. He doesn't like music videos, doesn't like making them, and doesn't even like some of his own. He may well put SOME ideas into his videos but I believe that the vast majority of it is actually from the director lol (that wasn't meant to sound horrible or anything, please forgive me).

I think possibly the reason why SOME people on here think it's "original" is because we haven't (well, at least I haven't, anyway) seen a music video like that for a good long while. Everything is too hollywood lately.

As for deconstructing music videos, everything is done for a reason. No video is done just to make a video. Colours were chosen for a reason. the particular setting was chosen for a reason, etc etc. I've studied Media for four years and have had to deconstruct a good few music videos. lol :)

last last thing : for those (all those) making metaphysic analysis of a video... it's a VIDEO !!! people don't look at a video the think about how cruel the world is... they watch a video cause it looks good and puts in images the story of the song...

I totally agree with that. A music video is no place to get all literary. It's about visuals and sound.

Someone posted a video clip recently of a guy in a bunny suit runny around beating people up. I thought the concept was really dumb - the Easter Bunny spends the other 364 days a year randomly kicking ass. But the editing was brilliant. It was fast-paced and looked like a real action movie trailer because of the quick cuts and familiar movie action sequences.

In other words even a bad concept can look good when it's condensed to 2 or 3 minutes if it's done well. It's just needs to look cool and be edited properly.

It's even simpler when you're dealing with a music video because the music itself is the foundation of the video. Mika already created a work that told a story that was open to interpretation when he wrote the lyrics. There's no need to convolute it with disembodied hands and Mika floating through space.

It was his chance to either explain some of the feeling behind the song, as he probably would have achieved had he gone with the homelessness concept he talked about. Or just a very simple video of him singing that lets the song speak for itself.

Kate Nash has done this with Foundations. Nothing original or exciting and it's quite literal. But it looks good, it illustrates the song and it showcases her very well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=orACIBjHuI4

I think I would have preferred that to cheese.

Yop, I completely understand where you're coming from about the whole original thing.

With Big Girl, Mika has said somewhere that they WERE going to shoot the video in LA, then somewhere else, but because of the tight schedule they filmed it in Croyden instead lol.

But, Mika is not the director of his own videos. He doesn't like music videos, doesn't like making them, and doesn't even like some of his own. He may well put SOME ideas into his videos but I believe that the vast majority of it is actually from the director lol (that wasn't meant to sound horrible or anything, please forgive me).

I think possibly the reason why SOME people on here think it's "original" is because we haven't (well, at least I haven't, anyway) seen a music video like that for a good long while. Everything is too hollywood lately.

As for deconstructing music videos, everything is done for a reason. No video is done just to make a video. Colours were chosen for a reason. the particular setting was chosen for a reason, etc etc. I've studied Media for four years and have had to deconstruct a good few music videos. lol :)

- change director... :naughty:

- make cartoon videos if you're not an actor and you don't like making videos... lots of people have done that before (the beatles, damon albarn for gorillaz, daft punk, etc.), and a cartoon always has something new, just because the person who draws it is not the same... even with just a drawing, the video could have been more personal that all this cheesiness etc. not going back there...

- changing location doesn't mean they changed the concept of the video for Big Girls

- everything is done for a reason in media, no need to study it to know that, but the audience is not supposed to analyze it, the message is supposed to go directly to the audience's brain when the media (photo, music video, ad video, etc.) is well done... people are not supposed to know they are manipulated ! so the simple fact that you have to search into and interpret a video to understand it or to "feel" what you're supposed to feel once you've understood it shows that the aim of the video is missed...

- big girl : i don't like it either, still personal... i found a video (french one of a bad song here) that had exactly the same begining and idea of big girl video... starting at the hair dresser, going in the streets, dancing in the streets with colourful clothes, etc. i'm not sure that bg video was inspired by this one, but the other video was out before, and it looks "better" because LESS CHEAP...

:blink: Tell us the truth! Do you really think it looks like Mica's video?

where is the guy that told us over and over that he was in control of everything and wanted to do something that had never been done before ???????

Yeah! Where is he? I know he doesn't like video but he always says he's paranoid and control everything!!! If he controls everyting, you can't tell "he didn't decide. It's the director's fault!"

last last thing : for those (all those) making metaphysic analysis of a video... it's a VIDEO !!!

Yeah! Only pictures put together for people to buy the record! :naughty:

- make cartoon videos if you're not an actor and you don't like making videos... lots of people have done that before (the beatles, damon albarn for gorillaz, daft punk, etc.), and a cartoon always has something new, just because the person who draws it is not the same... even with just a drawing, the video could have been more personal that all this cheesiness etc. not going back there...

- changing location doesn't mean they changed the concept of the video for Big Girls

- everything is done for a reason in media, no need to study it to know that, but the audience is not supposed to analyze it, the message is supposed to go directly to the audience's brain when the media (photo, music video, ad video, etc.) is well done... people are not supposed to know they are manipulated ! so the simple fact that you have to search into and interpret a video to understand it or to "feel" what you're supposed to feel once you've understood it shows that the aim of the video is missed...

agreed on every part.

i know what you mean about the happy ending video. I know it's meant to be kept simple so that the audience can take it in, but it does seem that the video caused confusion for something. especially my mother, but she doesn't get most things :naughty:

Money, money, money...

Some people are saying that this "isn't Mika," but I just think that he has evolved as a performer and artist. Honestly, if the Mika of the very second were to film the Grace Kelly video again, exactly how it is now, I would feel that it "isn't Mika." It's sort of the same where you look at old photos of him and you kind of feel like it's two different people. His style and look has somewhat transformed over the past year. I honestly don't think that Mika would make a video that he didn't feel was "him," or that he didn't have any input into. I'm sure that he is right up there with the director with his ideas for how it should be shot and what should go on.

:blink: Tell us the truth! Do you really think it looks like Mica's video?

Come on ! Don't take it raw ! take the elements : hair dresser, people in the streets, colours, etc. of course, the people are not the big girls and are not dressed up like the big girls, amel bent doesn't look like mika at all, and it even has studio parts in her video... but the first time i saw it, it was after i saw BG, and it tilted in my mind ! and the video was made before... but YES, they definitely remind me of each other, in the idea.

Come on ! Don't take it raw ! take the elements : hair dresser, people in the streets, colours, etc. of course, the people are not the big girls and are not dressed up like the big girls, amel bent doesn't look like mika at all, and it even has studio parts in her video... but the first time i saw it, it was after i saw BG, and it tilted in my mind ! and the video was made before... but YES, they definitely remind me of each other, in the idea.

I think that it tilted in your mind only because it was just after the Big girl video. You can find elements in a video which look like other elements in other video. It's very easy to do it.

When I watched it few months ago, it didn't tilt. The only thing I thought was: "What an awful song!".

I think that it tilted in your mind only because it was just after the Big girl video. You can find elements in a video which look like other elements in other video. It's very easy to do it.

When I watched it few months ago, it didn't tilt. The only thing I thought was: "What an awful song!".

that's exactly what i explained in the mega long post... i didn't say it "looked like it" but when i saw the other video, i at once thought of BG video... his videos are not "copies" (not yet ? :naughty: ) but it includes more and more elements of others things each times... and his videos are always out after the other ones ! either his directors have no imagination at all, either they are in psychic communication with the other directors... i wonder if his next video will be a cut off a movie he will sing over ! :blink:

on youtube, someone commented on happy ending video asking if Michel Gondry was the director !!! you can't invent that !!! (michel gondry is the director of the science of sleep that stephane mentionned earlier...)

At the 24 hour mark, we see Mika has now got almost 107,000 hits on his new vid.

That's really very good!! (About 100 were just me watching and re-watching I am sure!:roftl:

i wonder who that could have been, i didnt keep rewatching it :fisch::mf_rosetinted:

thats great ! im sure hell be sooo pleased :blush-anim-cl::thumb_yello:

Hahaha, I loved reading everyone's comment on the video -they all have their own ideas to it, it's interesting! I've got my own perspective of the video too and I feel the same way, yet different from the others. Whenever I finish watching the video, it leaves me with all kinds of emotions and thoughts... but I like it! The more I watch it, my imagination expands. I also end up thinking about the others and myself... my past experiences... sometimes I go too deep/become analytical and scare myself. Haha.

I'm very emotional too. This video made me cry and smile. I like the video. It's unique and powerful in it's own way. The hands didn't scare me too, just like CazGirl said. I personally think that Mika can only come up with these ideas (and Yasmine? I like the drawings on the wall :)), and he's probably the only one that can pull it off.

Like some said, Mika and his videos are very unpredictable. -I remember I heard him say that when he makes the video for "Happy Ending," it will be about the homeless people. But I feel that this video still reflects the meaning of the song and lets the viewers think about everything/anything (like the significance of the faces made out of hands etc.) which I think is important. I mean all the other videos made these days are "unreal" as some say, right? We don't learn anything and they all look pretty much the same. ...I think I'll stop now. :naughty: I bet we can all keep talking about this video, FOREVER!

I think directors think "they pay me to make a video for the artist to sell his records".

I love Michel Gondry. I watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". I think he wouln't make the same thing. Doing the same things is boring for an artist (for a "normal" human being too).

He made these video: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=x5nNfbTS6N4

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmadh6-mmTM

And many many others which didn't look like his movies.