2007 - Star of wonder: Mika talks about his merry future

lollipop_monkey

thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

"considered autistic" i didn´t know that...

"That was a very bad time," he says. "I can see how weird I was. One day I decided the school needed a Christmas tree and spent hours dragging this huge beast of a tree into school. No one was pleased. I got two weeks' detention because I was 45 minutes late and had made a big mess of leaves and soil all over the building. All the kids just laughed at me."

:sad: poor thing...

really interesting interview... but it makes me feel very sad... he only needed a little bit of love and comprenhesion, but instead of that all the people laught at him and make him feel like he was s*it...

i know what its to feel that you dont care to anyone, and no one would miss you...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, reading this has made me realise something about myself . I find it very difficult to make eye contact with people, not just strangers, but my family and friends too. I put it down to a bit of a phobia I have about eyes, but this makes a bit more sense, although I still will have the phobia. I think the only time I haven't broken off eye contact with anyone is, weirdly, when I was in Munich and during Lollipop Mika came over to the side I was standing, and looked straight at me, normally I would look down or away, but for some reason I was transfixed, it was a great moment for me. I still do have trouble, and even meeting him since then I don't hold contact long, but that one moment was awesome.

cute :bleh:

Wow, reading this has made me realise something about myself . I find it very difficult to make eye contact with people, not just strangers, but my family and friends too. I put it down to a bit of a phobia I have about eyes, but this makes a bit more sense, although I still will have the phobia. I think the only time I haven't broken off eye contact with anyone is, weirdly, when I was in Munich and during Lollipop Mika came over to the side I was standing, and looked straight at me, normally I would look down or away, but for some reason I was transfixed, it was a great moment for me. I still do have trouble, and even meeting him since then I don't hold contact long, but that one moment was awesome.

I think maybe what you're describing is from shyness or insecurity. I can be the same way depending on the situation and I've found I'm a lot more introverted as an adult than I was as a child because life experience has taught me that I don't want to open myself up to every person I encounter.

But I think with autism the lack of eye contact comes from a general lack of empathy with other people. They don't seek out eye contact because they have difficulty reading people so that kind of non-verbal communication isn't very useful.

I also found you very warm and responsive to everyone around you, so don't go reading too much into the lack of eye contact thing.

Oh also wanted to say I got a moment of eye contact with Mika during Happy Ending and it is impossible to look away. He's mesmerizing.

I loved the interview but it's quite sad. I felt very sad while reading it anyway. And he's right, I think all of us, the fans, are outsiders. I think the real fans are anyway. Because there are many people who claim to be a 'fan' but only like him because of his looks (And believe me Mika, you look good!) I think all of us stand out from the crowd and most of us have been bullied, so we can connect to Mika in a way, that's why we like him so much. Because thanks to him we know that we can accomplish something and that we're not as useless as they say we are. At least that's how I feel about it:thumb_yello:

agree :wink2:

Gosh...this article made me love him even more affectionately....everytime I read about him or listen to him during his interviews...I dunno...I can just relate to him more and more. It amazes me at times...because usually...you can't really relate to celebs because they act all "flawless and sparkly perfect" and it's as though they're the happiest people on earth and have no problems. But Mika..Mika is just the complete opposite. I mean come on..how many times do you actually hear celebs call themselves ugly? I for one, have never ever heard that before. And from what I've read in this thread, I can tell that, like me, alot of you can actually relate to Mika in many ways. In my case, I've been severely bullied for many reasons. Like because I used to have freckles in the 7th grade. Or because I'm like...the tallest girl in my school. And because I dress funny..well...atleast that's how other people see it...I certainly don't find anything funny in the way I dress. Like today, I went out to have lunch with my family, and I put on a red man utd shirt, white jeans and yellow converse sneakers....and people stared as though I was stark naked or something!:boxed:

I've also been bullied because of my curly hair...which is completely absurd!

Oh and...I have no interest whatsoever in fashion..(like Mika!:biggrin2: ) and so, due to that, I've been called "unattractive and ugly" which I find completely silly.

I could really go on and on with my similarities with Mika, but that would mean you'd have to read a 99999 paged thread!:bleh:

So...bottom line...I love Mika..god bless him and his beautiful soul.

Gosh...this article made me love him even more affectionately....everytime I read about him or listen to him during his interviews...I dunno...I can just relate to him more and more. It amazes me at times...because usually...you can't really relate to celebs because they act all "flawless and sparkly perfect" and it's as though they're the happiest people on earth and have no problems. But Mika..Mika is just the complete opposite. I mean come on..how many times do you actually hear celebs call themselves ugly? I for one, have never ever heard that before. And from what I've read in this thread, I can tell that, like me, alot of you can actually relate to Mika in many ways. In my case, I've been severely bullied for many reasons. Like because I used to have freckles in the 7th grade. Or because I'm like...the tallest girl in my school. And because I dress funny..well...atleast that's how other people see it...I certainly don't find anything funny in the way I dress. Like today, I went out to have lunch with my family, and I put on a red man utd shirt, white jeans and yellow converse sneakers....and people stared as though I was stark naked or something!:boxed:

Oh and...I have no interest whatsoever in fashion..(like Mika!:biggrin2: ) and so, due to that, I've been called "unattractive and ugly" which I find completely silly.

I could really go on and on with my similarities with Mika, but that would mean you'd have to read a 99999 paged thread!:bleh:

I know what you mean about the fashion thing, I've never followed the crowd. I remember a pair of lime green jeans I wore in the late '80s, when everyone else was doing the pastel look ala Miami Vice. I think fashion is down to the individual and what you feel comfortable in, not what some over the top fashionista tells you to wear.

Apart from your Man Utd top, I'm a Liverpool fan myself, I loved the sound of what you were wearing, if I'd been in the restaurant, I'd have come up to ask where you got your Converse sneakers from.Heh heh.

I know what you mean about the fashion thing, I've never followed the crowd. I remember a pair of lime green jeans I wore in the late '80s, when everyone else was doing the pastel look ala Miami Vice. I think fashion is down to the individual and what you feel comfortable in, not what some over the top fashionista tells you to wear.

Apart from your Man Utd top, I'm a Liverpool fan myself, I loved the sound of what you were wearing, if I'd been in the restaurant, I'd have come up to ask where you got your Converse sneakers from.Heh heh.

Hehehehe! And that, my friend, is why we're both Mika fans!!!:biggrin2::naughty::thumb_yello:

What Mika said was right....he said his songs are only loved and listened to by "weird freaks" like him....and he's surprised at how many of us that are just like him are out there in the world!!!

Hehehehe! And that, my friend, is why we're both Mika fans!!!:biggrin2::naughty::thumb_yello:

What Mika said was right....he said his songs are only loved and listened to by "weird freaks" like him....and he's surprised at how many of us that are just like him are out there in the world!!!

Ha ha, yeah, if being a weird freak is wrong, I don't wanna be right

I wish that dressing down to the individual were true in my town :thumbdown: in my town we have the common extremely tight jeans from abercrombie, hollister... tucked into a pair of uggs with a jacket that probably half of our school owns that cost well over 400 dollars:shocked: my town is sooo closed minded they think high top converses are "ghetto" :roftl: they are soooo idiotic!

I wish that dressing down to the individual were true in my town :thumbdown: in my town we have the common extremely tight jeans from abercrombie' date=' hollister... tucked into a pair of uggs with a jacket that probably half of our school owns that cost well over 400 dollars:shocked: my town is sooo closed minded they think high top converses are "ghetto" :roftl: they are soooo idiotic![/quote']

Omg...if I lived in your town, I think I'd be tied up to a stake with a bonfire lit at my feet and people cheering and jeering and watching me getting burnt and then get untied and led to a guillotine where I'll meet the same fate as the poor and innocent Marie Antoinette:shocked: :giljotiini:

I'm already considered a freak where I live...and trust me, Dubai is nothing like your town!!!:shocked:

Why is it that small towns are so closed minded and full of clones? I do wear the usual blue jeans and my work jeans are black, but I do like wearing my turquoise jeans out when I'm going out somewhere like a party, just to be different and not to look like everyone else. Heck I dress up as a flipping penguin at Mika gigs, if that's not weird I don't know what is, but I don't care anymore. I just want to dress how I want to dress, and if people don't like it, it's their problem, not mine.

His story about his school years is a lot like mine.. Not that I got teased THAT bad, but they did tell me that I was ugly and I felt weird (still do sometmes). 100,000 people can say 'You're beautiful!', if the next person says 'You're ugly' then I believe him/her and think the others just said it because they were being nice..

It's kinda weird because if I look in the mirror I can see that I'm not ugly at all, I look very different now than when I was in school. It's just something that's stuck in your head, just like Mika said.

And I'm also VERY suspicious about new people, don't let them into my life that easy..Just because I think people will make fun of me and think I'm a weirdo...I know I'm not but the thought that people may think I am is enough to not let them into my life..

Ah well.. Nothing interesting about what I just said, just said it because I can relate to Mika's story and I think I know how he felt and feels sometime, but than again: I'm sure a lot of people have felt/ feel this way.

I loved the interview but it's quite sad. I felt very sad while reading it anyway. And he's right, I think all of us, the fans, are outsiders. I think the real fans are anyway. Because there are many people who claim to be a 'fan' but only like him because of his looks (And believe me Mika, you look good!) I think all of us stand out from the crowd and most of us have been bullied, so we can connect to Mika in a way, that's why we like him so much. Because thanks to him we know that we can accomplish something and that we're not as useless as they say we are. At least that's how I feel about it:thumb_yello:

Well said Ingie!!

well said .i for one admire you.be true to yourself and you ll go a long way and like always say smile and you are half way there !!!

Ummm..... I have wondered if Mika is autistic. NOW, WAIT!! Don't all jump on me. Let me explain. Autism is not just autism. There is something called the autism spectrum and everybody ranges on there somewhere. Some of us have more traits than others and would therefore be somewhere further along the spectrum (think of it like a line) than others. Once you get to a certain point along the line, you may have enough traits to be considered as having a certain syndrome or disorder. A very close family member of mine has Asperger's Syndrome. It is an Autism Spectrum Disorder, essentially a very high functioning form of autism. If you met this person for a short period of time you would think there was nothing wrong with them per se, but you may be able to sense they were a bit "different". The more you were around them the more you would probably pick up on the differentness (yes, i think i just invented a new word), whilst still not necessarily being able to tell what was wrong. This family member of mine sees the world differently, interprets the world differently and experiences the world differently than most people. Not a huge amount of difference. Just enough. And people do "sniff it out". And so he is bullied and also has no friends.

Some of the things I've read about Mika have made me wonder about him having Asperger's Syndrome, not actually autism. However, when I've watched him being interviewed or interacting with fans, I start to doubt it, just because of how well he copes. And I know my family member could never do those things because his difficulty with social interactions is one of the biggest things about his Asperger's. Just my thoughts....

Yeah...I can understand where you're coming from, and no, I won't "jump on you." :)

I just think that if he does it's an extremely mild form. I know three people that have autism and two of them are high functioning and severe and another one who has it, but it's not that noticable. However, just from what I know of autism, is that the main thing is social and learning problems. I guess Mika would be more classified under the learning part but then again I think that's because he's dyslexic. I know that most autistics have problems having relationships with people and seem insensitive (as a part of the social part). I don't really see that in any of Mika's videos or by briefly meeting him. And yes, they do see the world differently. Of course, I am in no position what-so-ever to diagnose anyone. And it's very possible I am wrong. It's just my opinion. I guess I just didn't really like this article because it seemed like a sob story and autism was another thing to add to the list.

I hope I'm not jumping on you, but I have to disagree. Asperger's may be more highly functioning than other forms of autism but it also shares a couple of primary traits and symptoms - lack of eye contact and inability to read social cues.

If anything, Mika has the exact opposite thing going on. His ability to connect with people is not just adequate, it's extraordinary. He's one of those people like Bill Clinton or Princess Diana that is amazingly gifted in that regard.

I stood beside Suzy while she spoke to him and even though he was sick, being rushed into the venue and was forcing himself not to speak, he still listened to what she had to say very intently and only broke eye contact with her to look at me and Sivan when our names were mentioned.

He also seeks out a lot of eye contact when he's performing and I think it fuels his high energy level because when he connects with the audience it's a thrill for him. You can see it in his face and feel it in his bounce.

Mika may possess some oddity that people can detect, but he is affectionate, responsive, quick-witted and his gaze is warm and intense. It couldn't be farther from any form of autism, IMO.

Christine, you didn't quote the second half of what I said. In the second half, I do say that watching him be interviewed and with his fans he does very well and that made me start to doubt that he might have asperger's as the social interactions were the things my family member had most trouble with.

Christine, you didn't quote the second half of what I said. In the second half, I do say that watching him be interviewed and with his fans he does very well and that made me start to doubt that he might have asperger's as the social interactions were the things my family member had most trouble with.

I would like to get my hands on a medical journal from 300 years in the future, to see what they've learned about autism and related disorders. And ADD/ADHD. And OCD.

There's so much we just don't know about how the brain really works, and I think that we're still very early in understanding those types of things.