Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

I got mine today!!!:yay:

I haven't watched it yet though, because I've not enough time to relax and enjoy it:sad:

I probably won't get to see it till the weekend...:tears: and that seems like ages away...

at least I can look at it and smell the newness of the book now:wub2: I love the deluxe edition, it's like LICM deluxe only shinier,lol

Edited by tauruslady

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone !

I totally see what you mean Deb' date=' but being on the catwalk myself, I kinda understand what Sariflor means. We did not have the same interactions you might have experienced with him on the main stage. He was running up and down the catwalk basically.[/quote']

Hi Em' :wub2:

Yeah, I'm sure it was totally different from the catwalk. I was suprised watching the DVD to realized he didn't stay ont the catwalk.

But what I also wanted to say it's not because someone didn't felt the same connection that he usually feels in other gigs that he can say there was no connection with the crowd. There were different interactions, but they were really there. Many felt them.

Well, we could talk all the night about that ! But I just wanted to say that many people who was there didn't felt the same :wink2:

Hi Em' :wub2:

Yeah, I'm sure it was totally different from the catwalk. I was suprised watching the DVD to realized he didn't stay ont the catwalk.

But what I also wanted to say it's not because someone didn't felt the same connection that he usually feels in other gigs that he can say there was no connection with the crowd. There were different interactions, but they were really there. Many felt them.

Well, we could talk all the night about that ! But I just wanted to say that many people who was there didn't felt the same :wink2:

Got it dear :wub2:

Sorry in advance for my english if what I'm saying is not clear.

But Sariflor, I think you can't say there was no connection between the crowd and Mika :blink: or maybe we don't have been to the same gig or we don't have seen the same DVD.

There was a huge connection between Mika and the crowd. You can always see on his face his emotion. This crowd gave him so much, maybe more than he expected...

It was clearly not the same connection, not the same proximity, as another gig, but it was so special...It's not because you're not at 2 metres from him that there is nothing between his crowd and him.

I agree with Niki when she talks about different expectations...

Maybe if you were at the front row of the main stage, as we were, you would have feel the gig differently. From there, it was amazing, and not only for the designs... I was so moved during all that gig. It was so special, so unique and it had to be appreciated like that. :blush-anim-cl:

But everyone feels things on a different way...

sorry, but the highlighted bit simply cracked me up.... :roftl: in a good way :wink2:

I can say pdp has not been my fave mika gig, BUT in a stadium with 55000 people how can ya expect the same interaction as in places like brixton, to say one..? :blink:

and i was under catwalk: i didn feel particulalrly left out :naughty:

Edited by avoca

I'm with you on that one Niki. I think he did absolutely great on this' date=' and (of course being backed up by professionals is necessary), so early in his career, he did extremely well on his vision of a stadium show. Had his own ideas, knew who he wanted to work with, knew what he wanted to create. Strong-minded.[/quote']

Totally agree with this statement. He pulled it off, no doubt about it. A great achievement at this stage in his career.

But again, it's horses for courses. It's most definately a personal thing. It just left me feeling empty and no amount of acrobats or tap dancing astronauts can make up for that.

It's so interesting to read what everyone else is writing and using :wub2: a lot and so many superlatives, when I'm just left thinking huh I don't get it?

Edited by babspanky

Totally agree with this statement. He pulled it off, no doubt about it. A great acheivement at this stage in his career.

But again, it's horses for courses. It's most definately a personal thing. It just left me feeling empty and no amount of acrobats or tap dancing astronauts can make up for that.

It's so interesting to read what everyone else is writing and using :wub2:n a lot and so many superlatives, when I'm just left thinking huh I don't get it?

I don't know Babs, it's difficult.............I mean, one can analise (sorry spelling head not on) everything to the enth degree. I guess it is a very different thing, watching the dvd and being there. I certainly view the two things very differently..........I can't really relate the two as being the same thing really. You were just NOT happy that night at all were you........it just didn't do it for you............and yet the following night knocked your socks off:thumb_yello:

Totally agree with this statement. He pulled it off, no doubt about it. A great acheivement at this stage in his career.

It's so interesting to read what everyone else is writing and using :wub2:n a lot and so many superlatives, when I'm just left thinking huh I don't get it?

ever the cynical lol xD

I don't own the DVD, nor will I till Christmas (I don't know that yet but I'm quite sure it will be under the tree this year) but I am rather curious about the concert itself. I wonder what I will think of it, and what the song "Rain" sounds like on professional quality sound.

But there definitely seems to be mixed views on the actual show...but hey, everyone thinks differently.

I am quite sad that we won't see any of Andy's footage though.

I think I might have not enjoyed it as much as I did, if I had been in the seat section like you. The fact that you could hear/see nothing is very disappointing, it's difficult to enjoy a show when you don't have the minimum of the ingredients you need for that (sound/view). Plus, when you're used to being in the crowd, it's not the same just being in the seated area. I did two Mika shows being seated, and I said NEVER AGAIN! It's just not the same (at least to me).

But I have to say that I enjoyed the show, not Mika especially. He was running everywhere, barely stayed on the catwalk, I fed myself a lot with the show itself.

ever the cynical lol xD

I don't own the DVD, nor will I till Christmas (I don't know that yet but I'm quite sure it will be under the tree this year) but I am rather curious about the concert itself. I wonder what I will think of it, and what the song "Rain" sounds like on professional quality sound.

But there definitely seems to be mixed views on the actual show...but hey, everyone thinks differently.

I am quite sad that we won't see any of Andy's footage though.

Well you can say that Caz, but I'm happy enough to admit that Arras was fabulous.

I'm not getting the big picture which is what I had hoped for with this DVD. It just feels distant and it's down to poor editing IMO. There are so many long shots that don't serve any purpose except to illustrate that the stadium is huge and that Mika is swallowed up by it. It should have been cut to show that this spectacle was filling the venue, not getting lost in it.

I've already said this.

As to Andy's footage, I'm not really believing they wouldn't have used it if it was better.

Who is "Maureen"?

I've already said this.

As to Andy's footage, I'm not really believing they wouldn't have used it if it was better.

Who is "Maureen"?

Hmmm...I don't know. Who IS Maureen? :blink:

I'm sure it wasn't a choice of picking the best footage. This PDP DVD is an entirely different concept than what I had in mind when we had heard in 2007 that Mika had a couple of cameramen who were making a DVD.

Obviously this stadium gig had to be filmed in an entirely different manner and I think some different editing could have mitigated what I think are the weaknesses of it.

Sorry, i'm jumping in ... only read a bit but to me, i felt it all a bit self indulgent, ..... tho excited to see him and his excitement and the docu ......but then i tihnk............... but hey Mika is not like that .... he is trying to please his fans ... he is so excited by the prospect that people far far back in the staduim will see him........................

BUT they won't, it can never be the same as front row in a small venue.... or even anywhere in a small venue .....................

He imagines the people will get the same buzz that he does from this but in fact in reality they don't .................. i think i would not have like it .....

I think one of the things which comes out of the DVD is that Mika is feeding off the SIZE of the crowd, and the concept of the WHOLE stadium being there just to see HIM (and he thinks they are also there for his "show")

So he is not interacting with the crowd/front row/individuals like he has been known to do at smaller gigs, the sheer size makes that impossible, but from MIKA's point of view, his emotions were running a lot higher for this gig than they usually do. So whereas many of you usually feel a total buzz from where you are at a gig, this PDP show was MIKA getting all of that buzz. And I think the MIKA buzz is what is captured in the DVD.

And who is MAUREEN?? (Tried to google and only came up with Maureen Scott. http://www.ram.ac.uk/study/selectadepartment/biogs/Maureen+Scott.htm (perhaps a younger picture?)

:shocked:

well that's your opinion and I respect it.... Now I must admit that I'm surprised about all the negative feelings.... It's not that I think you're wrong or that I think a Mika fan must be fond of everything he does....no, it's not that... It's just that I don't understand.... When this gig was announced, like most of you I didn't want to go, too big, I was certain not to enjoy it.... but finally I bought a ticket , I was in the seat section with Allegra and I think that Jemma and Babspansky were not far from us... I expected to be disappointed but I wasn't , it was an extraordinary show really, and I didn't suffer from the lack of interaction with the audience some of you are talking about (even if I am usually a front row addict).... On the contrary, Mika did an extraordinary job and I think he would be sad to read that....because I sincerely think he made it more that I would have ever expected....

Now I can understand that some of you didn't feel exactly what they wanted to feel but I think the problem is elsewhere, but it was not a problem of interaction Mika/ audience.....

I think one of the things which comes out of the DVD is that Mika is feeding off the SIZE of the crowd, and the concept of the WHOLE stadium being there just to see HIM (and he thinks they are also there for his "show")

So he is not interacting with the crowd/front row/individuals like he has been known to do at smaller gigs, the sheer size makes that impossible, but from MIKA's point of view, his emotions were running a lot higher for this gig than they usually do. So whereas many of you usually feel a total buzz from where you are at a gig, this PDP show was MIKA getting all of that buzz. And I think the MIKA buzz is what is captured in the DVD.

And who is MAUREEN?? (Tried to google and only came up with Maureen Scott. http://www.ram.ac.uk/study/selectadepartment/biogs/Maureen+Scott.htm (perhaps a younger picture?)

Yes . yes . yes!

I agree totally ... as i say .... it was all about him and how it made him feel .... tho he wanted to think the audience all felt the same ( I wasn't there so can't say but ............) i doubt they felt this rush of euphoria.....

having experienced front row .... it's hard to get better than that as a fangurl....

even 3rd row back ( for a short ass like me) was not so good.....

well that's your opinion and I respect it.... Now I must admit that I'm surprised about all the negative feelings.... It's not that I think you're wrong or that I think a Mika fan must be fond of everything he does....no, it's not that... It's just that I don't understand.... When this gig was announced, like most of you I didn't want to go, too big, I was certain not to enjoy it.... but finally I bought a ticket , I was in the seat section with Allegra and I think that Jemma and Babspansky were not far from us... I expected to be disappointed but I wasn't , it was an extraordinary show really, and I didn't suffer from the lack of interaction with the audience some of you are talking about (even if I am usually a front row addict).... On the contrary, Mika did an extraordinary job and I think he would be sad to read that....because I sincerely think he made it more that I would have ever expected....

Now I can understand that some of you didn't feel exactly what they wanted to feel but I think the problem is elsewhere, but it was not a problem of interaction Mika/ audience.....

This is good to read too .............. I'm glad it was good for you:wink2:

Yes . yes . yes!

I agree totally ... as i say .... it was all about him and how it made him feel .... tho he wanted to think the audience all felt the same ( I wasn't there so can't say but ............) i doubt they felt this rush of euphoria.....

having experienced front row .... it's hard to get better than that as a fangurl....

I cannot conceal I am a total fangurl too, and I totally loved the DVD, because I loved witnessing that euphoria from Mika's side. And it is very likely that the majority of the crowd were feeling a lot of that euphoria too, regardless of where they were, because they have not had the front row/close encounter experience that some of you lucky fangurls have had.

(I was beyond euphoric at my first Queen concert in 2005, and my position was way out in the masses. )

Yes . yes . yes!

I agree with what you are saying vicky. I am sure a lot of the audience felt the same, just not all. I am glad for those that did really enjoy it. Maybe if this was my first gig instead of my th gig, I might have been more enthusiastic?

Maybe I am just not into this show thing. More for the music.

Edited by babspanky

Exactly :thumb_yello:

See, this is the type of reaction that I fear when I make comments like the ones I made today.

Personally, my account of the PDP show (when I went there) was not negative, and it still isn't.

I have said many times that it was a great achievement for Mika, and I am glad that I was there to be a part of it, and to witness it. It was fun, he was good, etc.

What I am saying is, that (IMO), this gig was less amazing than many others that I have been to. And this is not being negative, or hurtful, but rather providing feedback.

And I really do hope that Mika is capable of taking this sort of feedback, because quite frankly, there are far worse things about himself that he can be hearing on a daily basis.

I am just a fan giving her opinions, and that is loving the man and what he does, so I don't understand the shock at reading the comments.

Yes, I have high expectations and am very critical, but by the same token I "forgive" him a lot in many other ways, so I really think that the balance is quite healthy here.

It just seems to me like the minute you fall off the "eternally grateful and adoring" wagon, you are negative and horrible, and you should not be commenting.

No Sariflor, I think you don't understand what I'm trying to say....(it must be my fault , my english is a bit limited) I totally respect your opinion and I don't think that "you are negative and horrible, and you should not be commenting "...I've never said that, no need to exaggerate.....

I don't agree every time with all Mika's choices, I think critics are very useful.... I just say that I don't understand how you felt because I didn't feel like you....even if I had the same fears as you at the beginning....

Here is MY opinion but I am not judging YOU because you don't share my point of view! I've never said that you shouldn't be commenting, have I?

BTW it was not a reaction to your particular message Sariflor , but to the 3 last pages I was reading.... (I'm sorry I haven't got the time to read everything)

I hope everything's clear now :wink2:

I think he did a great job though. If I was his mother I would be really really proud.

Thing is I'm not , I'm just a customer.

By the way chopotte, Jemma and I saw you and Allegra and were waving like mad to get your attention but you didn't look our way, we were to your right a few rows up. Every time there was a break we tried to shout for you. :naughty:

From what I've read...

Big deal. It was one mega-gig. It's not like every gig of his is like that. It was a one-time thing, or at least, a once-in-a-while thing.

I haven't gotten my hands on the DVD yet, but for him being able to pull off a concert at such a big stadium and in front of such a big audience is very impressive. So my hat goes off to Mika :bow:

Now, why are we rehashing this?

This concert was about 4-5 months ago. Let's move on.

From what I've read...

Big deal. It was one mega-gig. It's not like every gig of his is like that. It was a one-time thing, or at least, a once-in-a-while thing.

I haven't gotten my hands on the DVD yet, but for him being able to pull off a concert at such a big stadium and in front of such a big audience is very impressive. So my hat goes off to Mika :bow:

Now, why are we rehashing this?

This concert was about 4-5 months ago. Let's move on.

Because it's a thread about the DVD which is about the gig?

Plenty of other threads about other things if you don't like this one. There's a nice new one about cherries. Not sure what that all means. :ap_rosetinted:

What's up?

I think he did a great job though. If I was his mother I would be really really proud.

Thing is I'm not , I'm just a customer.

By the way chopotte, Jemma and I saw you and Allegra and were waving like mad to get your attention but you didn't look our way, we were to your right a few rows up. Every time there was a break we tried to shout for you. :naughty:

Yes I remember we saw you but it was at the end of the show!!!! I'm sorry:wink2: I was totally captivated, Georges Clooney could have sit next to me I wouldn't have seen him!!!:roftl: