Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

If you are hooked on HMDYLM, as I am, I highly recommand the Dusseldorf version, when he overcame a burning throat infection to do justice to the song and make the audience happy :bow:. Poignant... :tears:

I'm really glad that you mentioned that gig :wub2:.

Dusseldorf was one of my favourite gigs of last season. He was sick, and yet gave it all, and the performance felt so.....heartfelt and warm. He was totally tuned into the audience, we were tuned into him, and the vibe was just magnificent.

This atmosphere is what I lacked at the PDP show, no matter how fabulously showy it was. For me, it's all about the vibe, the connection, the soul of it.

Dusseldorf, even though he was ill and feeling like sheiBe, met that. He was unbelievable that night.

Here a couple of my memories:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHfDhoJ8X8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GK5j6o-gU-A

And this one is also nice.

When he gets confused with the fingers during Holy Johnny, and also how he stops the song halfway to tell the story and commenting on his friends :roftl::

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtZZViMnQk

Edited by sariflor

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just received the DVD this morning, and I have watched the show (not the doc yet). I looooooooooooooooove the "Holy Johnny" performance!!! And also "Stuck in the Middle" and "Happy Ending". Well, all of them, but those three in particular!

I think he sang really well, I am impressed. And the show seemed magical really! I love it when he speaks about his broken trousers :lmao:

And... I don't know if I have the deluxe edition or not... lol

Edited by Emerald

Well i'm still to watch it 'properly!' but it looks, visually delicious:bleh:

I have noticed a few very close up bum shots tho!

Camera work here!!

The guy in the very tight outfit on the balance bars !!!:naughty:

that was a a bit of distraction

2n8dffm.jpg

:das:

and that's how u look after a day+night long concert :floor:

I'm really glad that you mentioned that gig :wub2:.

Dusseldorf was one of my favourite gigs of last season. He was sick, and yet gave it all, and the performance felt so.....heartfelt and warm. He was totally tuned into the audience, we were tuned into him, and the vibe was just magnificent.

This atmosphere is what I lacked at the PDP show, no matter how fabulously showy it was. For me, it's all about the vibe, the connection, the soul of it.

Dusseldorf, even though he was ill and feeling like sheiBe, met that. He was unbelievable that night.

Where you really there ? I am so jealous :mad3: ! Never ever give me your address because I would be tempted to come and murder you one night… :devil:

Seriously I totally agree with you : what is important is the connection between the artists and the audience ; we got that at the Werchter festival, we were all, musicians included, mad as hatters and wet as porridge.

But Dusseldorf… what I saw of it (only videos, unfortunately)... he was so generous, there were times when the audience must have felt like telling him : ‘Stop it mate, that’s suicide, go back to your hotel room and get some rest !’ His performing topless part of the set was probably less the usual flashing and teasing than trying to get rid of a burning temperature. And at the end of HMDYLM, at some point he goes to the back of the stage, and then comes back to the front and starts singing again, and you can see that each single note is stabbing his throat like a wood splinter, still he won’t shorten the song. The guy’s a tiger !

The PdesP was a grand and perfect show, it made Mika happy so we are happy for him who has been giving us so much but it lacked soul. Oh well there are going to be many more soulful concerts in the future, no question about that. Who knows, perhaps we’ll meet at one of them ? I promise not to murder you then, on the night of a gig I am quite harmless, too mellow to wish anybody any harm. :huglove:

No no no, I think you are wrong. That is definitely Mika's flat. How do I know....oh just go through it frame by frame, you will see just enough to be sure it is. :wink2:

Are you sure ? His flat is a basement one, in London... how many bulbs did he have put on the walls and ceiling to get so much light ? I know he is the sun but still... Unless you have actually been there and are being discreet ? So wise of you : I am sure he doesn't like people who kiss :snog: and tell.

Are you sure ? His flat is a basement one, in London... how many bulbs did he have put on the walls and ceiling to get so much light ? I know he is the sun but still... Unless you have actually been there and are being discreet ? So wise of you : I am sure he doesn't like people who kiss :snog: and tell.

I kiss and tell no problem- I sneaked into his changing room at one of the gigs and snogged his face off :naughty::naughty:

Not really, no. But you never know if someone would choose to believe it.

Usually, when professional recording is going on, the scene is illuminated properly with the help of professional equipment. </viannen_44.gif>

I feel like I've been talking to myself the last few days... :naughty:

I'll say it one more time. :wink2:

According to Mika's management, the physical release of the DVD in the US

will be December 16. On Amazon, you can see the standard version for

preorder -- it says it will be released December 2, but that's not what they

told me. *shrug*

The deluxe version is not available for preorder domestically yet.

I'm pretty sure the copies you're seeing for sale now are

coming from overseas -- that's

why they cost $50. I'm not 100 percent positive, but I doubt that the

deluxe version would cost that much if it were sold here.

Mika's management has contacted us and said that they are trying to

get some copies of the deluxe DVD over here for sale -- that's why I

have the poll up in the other thread, to see what the level of interest

is in the deluxe copy among the North American fans.

So if you're willing to wait a bit, I hope that you'll be able to order the

deluxe version here... and if you don't want the deluxe, you can preorder

the standard version, but I don't think you'll be getting it before

December 16 (December 2 at the earliest). :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

patience.gif

lol oh dear xD

how was the documentary though?

I haven't watched it all yet. But I like his revelation that he totally stalked Es Devlin and then worked his magic to get her on board with his project. And on the telephone too! He didn't even have to resort to Da Stare. :naughty:

Not digging the concert part of the DVD at all. At least I'm nowhere near as regretful as I once was that I couldn't be there :wink2:

lol oh dear xD

how was the documentary though?

The documentary is fab, I loved it :thumb_yello:.

The problem with the concert is what we've said before: that it lacked feeling, soul, connection between him and the audience. You can really feel it when you compare it to other Mika gigs, he is nowhere near as connecting with the audience as he has been on many other instances.

I guess that when the audience is so huge this is what you get, hence why I will always be a firm fan of small venues.

It's just not the same.

No no no, I think you are wrong. That is definitely Mika's flat. How do I know....oh just go through it frame by frame, you will see just enough to be sure it is. :wink2:

But being picky, the moka machine is in a totally different kitchen than the one he was cooking in

The documentary is fab, I loved it :thumb_yello:.

The problem with the concert is what we've said before: that it lacked feeling, soul, connection between him and the audience. You can really feel it when you compare it to other Mika gigs, he is nowhere near as connecting with the audience as he has been on many other instances.

I guess that when the audience is so huge this is what you get, hence why I will always be a firm fan of small venues.

It's just not the same.

not everyone felt the same

not everyone felt the same

I think it depends on your gig experiences. When I see videos that Sara and Petra have made it is like having some sort of drug-induced flashback. It is so real I can practically taste being at the gig.

I don't know what it was like at the actual PDP show, but the video leaves me cold. I don't know if Mika was not connecting with the audience or it simply appears that way because of the editing and overemphasis on the crowd as a giant mass instead of Mika's face and his interaction with the audience or even the band.

If anyone wants to know what a thrill it is to be front row at a Mika gig they are not going to get any sense at all from this DVD.

I think it depends on your gig experiences. When I see videos that Sara and Petra have made it is like having some sort of drug-induced flashback. It is so real I can practically taste being at the gig.

I don't know what it was like at the actual PDP show, but the video leaves me cold. I don't know if Mika was not connecting with the audience or it simply appears that way because of the editing and overemphasis on the crowd as a giant mass instead of Mika's face and his interaction with the audience or even the band.

If anyone wants to know what a thrill it is to be front row at a Mika gig they are not going to get any sense at all from this DVD.

Or any dvd, I'd have thought?

Comparing the two dvds and the KoKo concert which was on telly (because YouTube has a different feel) I'm not getting any less feeling of connection from him. Possibly more. And there's a lot of emotion.

I wonder if maybe this difference of opinion (about the show in general) might have something to do with the fact that I'm not much of a music listener- I actually stopped listening to music for years until I discovered music video (cable came very late to where I live). Someone was just saying "it's all about the music"- not for me it isn't. Maybe PDP had a visual connection between Mika and the audience that means more to some than to others.

I don't know- but I think it's quite interesting.

But this is just a guess.

Or any dvd, I'd have thought?

Comparing the two dvds and the KoKo concert which was on telly (because YouTube has a different feel) I'm not getting any less feeling of connection from him. Possibly more. And there's a lot of emotion.

I wonder if maybe this difference of opinion (about the show in general) might have something to do with the fact that I'm not much of a music listener- I actually stopped listening to music for years until I discovered music video (cable came very late to where I live). Someone was just saying "it's all about the music"- not for me it isn't. Maybe PDP had a visual connection between Mika and the audience that means more to some than to others.

I don't know- but I think it's quite interesting.

But this is just a guess.

I totally agree with everything you said altho I've always been a music listener. I just don't think any dvd can render the emotions of a gig properly. I don't even like watching YT videos of the gigs I've been to unless they were filmed from a spot close to mine because you don't get the same vibe at all.

Btw Paris was great, I loved it. Of course you cannot compare this show to the previous ones (in smaller venues that is), you couldn't expect eye contact or that kind of things. But it wasn't the purpose of it. Mika wanted to create a giant circus show, and he did it perfectly. Seriously I didn't care where he was or what he was doing at some points, I was more interested in what was going on elsewhere on the stage or in mid air. :naughty: