• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seeing

live.

I came across some of their songs (and covers) as they were featured on Dawson's creek a few times. They happened to be perfoming quite a few times in my area during the last few years, but as it is Jazz I never went to see them as I thought it's not for me. I always thought Jazz is for musicians only, I found its complexity quite intimidating and the repetitive element a bit unnerving. I just thought there was no access to it for me.

But this time I was curious and eager to give it a chance. And God, how they got me. This concert was one of the most amazing ones I've ever attended. (No fear, I wont compare it to Mika, as it was a totally different experience :naughty:) First it was a more grown-up environment (if that is the right word) than I knew from the kind of concerts I usually attend. Seated of course and I must say it was kinda pleasant not having all the jumping and the noise of several thousand screaming voices all around me covering the music. It did good to just focus on listening for once.

But that was not what drew me in. Those two people are so special, so intense in what they do, it's breathtaking. I understood that it was not all about catchy hooks but about telling stories and transporting emotions. And they're so good at it. Patti Cathcart's singing is so precise and perfect without ever losing any of its warmth, using her entire vocal range in almost every single song. I swear there are nuances of notes in it I have never perceived anywhere before. And Tuck Andress, well, I knew before he was the God of guitar. It was such a tiny place with maybe 150 people. Somehow they managed to make the audience sing back to their version of Cindy Lauper's Time after Time in four-part harmonies. I never heard a concert audience sing like a gospel choir, that was totally new to me...

However, all I can say is, please, for your own good, if you'll ever be so lucky as to have the chance to see them perform live - don't hesitate and go. You won't regret it.

Edited by violet_sky

Seeing
live.

I came across some of their songs (and covers) as they were featured on Dawson's creek a few times. They happened to be perfoming quite a few times in my area during the last few years, but as it is Jazz I never went to see them as I thought it's not for me. I always thought Jazz is for musicians only, I found its complexity quite intimidating and the repetitive element a bit unnerving. I just thought there was no access to it for me.

But this time I was curious and eager to give it a chance. And God, how they got me. This concert was one of the most amazing ones I've ever attended. (No fear, I wont compare it to Mika, as it was a totally different experience :naughty:) First it was a more grown-up environment (if that is the right word) than I knew from the kind of concerts I usually attend. Seated of course and I must say it was kinda pleasant not having all the jumping and the noise of several thousand screaming voices all around me covering the music. It did good to just focus on listening for once.

But that was not what drew me in. Those two people are so special, so intense in what they do, it's breathtaking. I understood that it was not all about catchy hooks but about telling stories and transporting emotions. And they're so good at it. Patti Cathcart's singing is so precise and perfect without ever losing any of its warmth, using her entire vocal range in almost every single song. I swear there are nuances of notes in it I have never perceived anywhere before. And Tuck Andress, well, I knew before he was the God of guitar. It was such a tiny place with maybe 150 people. Somehow they managed to make the audience sing back to their version of Cindy Lauper's Time after Time in four-part harmonies. I never heard a concert audience sing like a gospel choir, that was totally new to me...

However, all I can say is, please, for your own good, if you'll ever be so lucky as to have the chance to see them perform live - don't hesitate and go. You won't regret it.

They really sound great, I love Time after Time!:wub2:

Please don't grow up too much though!:wink2:

They really sound great, I love Time after Time!:wub2:

Please don't grow up too much though!:wink2:

LOL, I knew it was the wrong word, it was just so totally different from a huge rock/pop gig. I would really love that kind of atmosphere at an acoustic Mika gig.

Oh and sienna, for the Tuck & Patti matter: especially you should see them, you'd be delighted by Patti's scatting! :wink2:

You've got prom this year too?

I'm happy cuz today I finally found a pretty prom dress. :biggrin2:

Yeah! :biggrin2:

Really? How's it like?

:mf_l:

lovely shoes! :wub2:

i`m happy cause my Satudays` swimming teacher is really cute and i swam very well today

Thanks! :D

Keti : .....err how old are you? Do you mean grad? ::

Here, prom is graduating grade 12, and grad is short for graduation which is grade 8 going into highschool.

I'm 14 and a half :wink2:

Currently I'm the 8th (and last) grade, that's the primary school. After the primary school you have the prom evening (or 'the little prom'), and in September you start with the highschool. Highschool lasts four years and after that you have another prom evening, but the 'big' one; after that you go to faculty/university. :thumb_yello:

So it's...yeah, it's grad is short for graduation which is grade 8 going into highschool.

Sorry, I didn't know there was that expression!

It's a bit different here in comparison to the other schools worldwide, I know... :lol3:

LOL, I knew it was the wrong word, it was just so totally different from a huge rock/pop gig. I would really love that kind of atmosphere at an acoustic Mika gig.

Hard to imagine, but it would be lovely!:wub2:

Oh and sienna, for the Tuck & Patti matter: especially you should see them, you'd be delighted by Patti's scatting! :wink2:

*faints*

I can’t believe you remember!:shocked::wub2:

I am definitely going to keep an eye on their whereabouts!:thumb_yello:

My dad gave me money to go to the mall tomorrow. What? It's free money. :mf_rosetinted::bleh: Plus I can go shopping tomorrow. :das::naughty: And I didn't even ask for money, he just gave it to me. haha

What also made me happy was that I found Easter candy that nobody else had found. *insert evil laughter* One of the things I found, that I thought was cool, was this:

100_4798.jpg

It's little gums, in the shape of mini eggs!

Edited by iadoremika

Yeah! :biggrin2:

Really? How's it like?

Thanks! :D

I'm 14 and a half :wink2:

Currently I'm the 8th (and last) grade, that's the primary school. After the primary school you have the prom evening (or 'the little prom'), and in September you start with the highschool. Highschool lasts four years and after that you have another prom evening, but the 'big' one; after that you go to faculty/university. :thumb_yello:

So it's...yeah, it's grad is short for graduation which is grade 8 going into highschool.

Sorry, I didn't know there was that expression!

It's a bit different here in comparison to the other schools worldwide, I know... :lol3:

Take a look :wink2:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=361431&CategoryID=42767

I'm in 8th grade too.