REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA LA Surprise Show 04-15-09

Blue Sky

thanks for the nice comments guys. Will get the vids up as soon as i get home.

Suzie, as far as i understood, he's doing the acoustic tour with this band, so Cherisse is the only one that would remain for now.

We'll see about the new proper tour,but i get the feeling that the rest of the old band won't be back

thanks for the nice comments guys. Will get the vids up as soon as i get home.

Suzie, as far as i understood, he's doing the acoustic tour with this band, so Cherisse is the only one that would remain for now.

We'll see about the new proper tour,but i get the feeling that the rest of the old band won't be back

time to make new friends:woot_jump:

thank you so much for the reports!

i saw the vids, heard the songs & now, i remember why i am on his fanclub :wub2:

Like you forgot for a while???:roftl::roftl:

I am sooooo sad about christine's vids coming down....were they linked on perez's site or something?????

Edit: oh I just found they were. Maybe one of Perez's anti-Mika people did something.

Edited by Blue Sky

Like you forgot for a while???:roftl::roftl:

I am sooooo sad about christine's vids coming down....were they linked on perez's site or something?????

i knew i loved his music... but i so needed to hear new material!!

and now i'm a fangurl :wub2: again :naughty:

perez did link to christine's videos... i'm not sure she is aware of it yet.

i didn't hear any songs up until about 1 hour ago. i rushed from work because i was so excited to hear new music! but every time i clicked on a link i couldn't get it to work! but i heard it now... i feel alot better ! :naughty:

Just curious as to why it's said that Georgia is one of Mika's new favourite words. I understand it was in a song, yes?

But did he mention it (otherwise) a lot or something? :bleh:

i think he mentions it in a song ... i didn't work out all the lyrics yet

LA TIMES REVIEW:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/04/mika-makes-a-muppet-proud.html

MIKA WOULD MAKE A MUPPET PROUD

Watching Mika perform live, one may get the impression that someone is raucously pulling strings behind the scenes. Mika’s spindly arms flailed in the air, moments before his hands quickly came together for some rapid-fire soul claps. His brown mop top constantly shook, and his thin-as-birch legs swayed behind his keyboard, leading the audience into playful chorus -- sometimes one about lollipops.

But make no mistake, Mika is not channeling a Muppet. Although Wednesday night’s sorta-secret show at the Roxy featured the Beruit-born, London-bred popster in a stripped-down acoustic set, Mika’s brand of candy-coated, piano pop is serious business. His 2007 debut album, "Life in Cartoon Motion," is said to have sold more than 5 million copies worldwide, earning him accolades ranging from Grammy nods to BRIT awards.

The intimate performance at the Roxy marked a back-to-basics setup for the 25-year-old. Just two acoustic guitarists and a drummer accompanied Mika as he helmed the keys. His soaring and stutter-stepping falsetto is the stuff of camp sing-a-longs, and his catchy hooks are like jazzy 1950s detergent jingles.

The audience bought what Mika was selling. Nearly every word and "tra-la-la" wafting from the classically trained vocalist sailed back at him from the singing crowd. His unequivocally unobjectionable hits such as “Grace Kelly” and “Lollipop” channeled the piano-glam of Elton John, Scissor Sisters and Freddie Mercury.

One audience member particularly enjoyed the show: Perez Hilton. The gossip blog titan organized the free gig and announced it the day before. “I wanted this to be a special event for fans,” Hilton said, “and some of the stuff he played is new material.”

The Hilton-sanctioned show preceded the release of Mika’s acoustic EP, which he has been recording in Los Angeles. Mika’s solo piano pieces even moved burlesque goddess and Hilton cohort Dita Von Teese, who broke from her stony-faced shtick to rhythmically nod her head. After all, Mika’s boyish stage presence and bouncing numbers break down the accouterments of the irony age, and resurrect that hidden joy of exuberant, Muppet love.

-- Drew Tewksbury

3446201669_48f3b2b963.jpg

Edited by A. Clay

Ok, I've never been so depressed after a Mika gig in my life. I've been crying all day like a psychopath, and it's because I miss him so so so so much. I feel dead inside, as if Mika has died or something. It's very strange. :blink:

But then, I realized that Nono, the girl who had been waiting in the queue before ANYONE, the girl who had been feeling sick to her stomach for days just knowing she was going to see Mika, was left out. That crushed me. We had to get her in there. :tears:

The fact that you were worried so much about me and how selfless you are makes me want to cry. You're so sweet :wub2::tears:

Has someone recorded the whole gig? I´d like to watch the all the songs. Thanks guys you´re the best

I have. I'm in the process of uploading them all to Youtube now.

I said that I was disappointed not to hear Relax and he said that he wanted to do it but he'd forgotten all the cords and just sat there thinking: 'how on earth did it go??" so in the end he decided not to do it cause he'd get them all wrong and 'would look like a dick'. I really hope that he'll rehearse that one for the acoustic tour, because the acoustic Relax has to be one of the most beautiful things EVER!!

I knew he didn't remember! Jeesh, he could've just asked me to play :bleh:

"The Hilton-sanctioned show preceded the release of Mika’s acoustic EP, which he has been recording in Los Angeles."

So that's the secret project...

YAY! :boing:

Ok, I've never been so depressed after a Mika gig in my life. I've been crying all day like a psychopath, and it's because I miss him so so so so much. I feel dead inside, as if Mika has died or something. It's very strange. :blink:

The fact that you were worried so much about me and how selfless you are makes me want to cry. You're so sweet :wub2::tears:

I have. I'm in the process of uploading them all to Youtube now.

I knew he didn't remember! Jeesh, he could've just asked me to play :bleh:

YAY! :boing:

MFC people are amazing. there is no doubt about it.

aww. You have had a very special Meeks moment. Feeling so sick and waiting so long for something so amazing to be well worth it must have been a rush...and now thinking back on it woofta!

Hopefully Mika is still alive and kicking :blink:

i think he mentions it in a song ... i didn't work out all the lyrics yet

The word Georgia is actually in two of the new songs -- guess that's

why it struck some as his new "favorite" now :wink2:

Alice, and all, I started a thread earlier today for all of the blog reports

and news items that have been popping up relating to the gig here:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18257

I posted this article along with several others there. If you run across

any other reports from NON-MFC sources, can you post them there? Thanks!

Gah.

is the exclamation of the day

i only have a minute to say this because i have to much work to do - I haven't even had time to listen to the new music and it is KILLING me. slowly and painfully. ridiculously slowly and painfully. anywho i just wanted to take a glimpse of the gig and it looks FRIGGING AMAZING. yes i said friggin. i'm sooo jealous of those who went!!

now here's the fun part...i live in the US and took a trip to paris and london and got to london on the 6th....i believe mika left london the 4th.....poor dates on my part. got back the 12. Fun times since i was mostly in south kensington and hammersmith. bahaha, joy. it was beautiful and amazing though, too bad i couldn't catch a secret gig there. :P

anyways congrats to all who went!! i'm going to read more thoroughly later and squeal over pics and such but i just wanted to get my cheer out there!!!

and i'm tormenting myself being here, so again, i'm exceedingly jealous- no false pretenses here!!- and yay! and i can't wait to listen!