TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

I've received my copy of the EP and I could read the lyrics haha. They're awesome.

Have you noticed how, just after Mika sings "she's the meanest hag that has ever been", there is a little pipe-flute happy tune? That cracks me up how ironical that is.

I've received my copy of the EP and I could read the lyrics haha. They're awesome.

Have you noticed how, just after Mika sings "she's the meanest hag that has ever been", there is a little pipe-flute happy tune? That cracks me up how ironical that is.

I really love the flutes and whistles in Toy Boy. I had feared that the Disnified backing track would distract from the melody and the words, but it doesn't! It's just perfect!

• 3 weeks later...
A helping hand, for sure, and then I wondered if it wasn't Jodi Marr herself. And my guess was also that Mika would have the sole writing credit on Lady Jane. :naughty:

I suspect that Mika would have had ideas for this, and perhaps Jodi Marr assisted him with putting it down in words... I find many people have trouble putting their thoughts into words, myself included!

A helping hand, for sure, and then I wondered if it wasn't Jodi Marr herself. And my guess was also that Mika would have the sole writing credit on Lady Jane. :naughty:

Lady Jane is kind of 'Over My Shoulder ' type to me, so I never thought anyone else had their hands in that one... I just wonder where the idea came from:blink:

.. As for Toy Boy, the lyrics are just so different from any previous ones and you do feel a kind of 'motherly touch' when listening to the song, so that was a good guess I guess:thumb_yello:

I suspect that Mika would have had ideas for this, and perhaps Jodi Marr assisted him with putting it down in words... I find many people have trouble putting their thoughts into words, myself included!

Normaly I don't think he needs that but these lyrics had to be properply elaborated to work in a way they do now:blush-anim-cl:

• 2 months later...

The more I hear it the more it reminds me of Harry Nilsson Me and My Arrow and Daddy's Song. Bit of a mini play type song. Links are below to the lyrics for those who don't know the songs.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/n/nilsson/me+and+my+arrow_20258034.html

http://www.mtv.com/lyrics/nilsson_harry/daddy_s_song/3394523/lyrics.jhtml

Wow.

I've only read about half this thread (and taken notes of various ideas) because there's JUST SO MUCH!!

This thread has given me other perspectives on the song, so I think I need to listen to it while considering each perspective to work out what I think.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to come down on the side of it being about homosexuality or bisexuality though (but not necessarily anything to do with Mika), because at some points the posts I were reading just seemed to be getting too deep into it.

There were a couple of interesting points made about the hag - firstly whether or not it's the mother of the lover. The song can actually play out that way, or it can play out as the hag being 'Georgia' or some other girl. I'm gonna have to think about that, but I don't think it's particularly relevant ANYWAY.

Someone else made comments about the illustration/articulation lines being Mika pointed out the seriousness of the song - I like the sound of that.

Another person made a connection between 'heart of gold' and the term associated as slang with prostitutes (but in this case, being of the smallest size meaning it's more like having 'loose morals' - another interesting view.

Also, whoever pointed out about the rhythm of the music itself following a wind-up pattern - brilliant, I love it.

When I next comment, I'll be mostly commenting on overall metaphors I think, and how I think it may or may not relate to Mika himself. But I do need to listen a bit more before I can decide.

http://www.popnography.com/2009/09/exclusive-mika-talks-toy-boy.html

The video isn't working for me I hope it works for somebody

here you have a DL link :)http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8R65WD2

and here you can find a few vids where Mika talks about other new songs

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19936

How did I miss that link? Superb.

I never got around to writing an in-depth thing about this song - but I really don't need to. For me, there is no way that someone as intelligent and as obsessed with the happy music/dark theme thing as Mika, who SAYS that he's fasincated by sexuality and that it's everywhere in his music, could have written the lyrics 'but your mama thought there was something wrong, she didn't want you sleeping with a boy too long, it's a serious thing in a grown up world, maybe you'd be better with a barbie girl' without it on some level sexual in nature.

That's not to say it's about Mika personally, it resonates even with me as I have gay and bisexual friends who took a long time to deal with their sexuality and how other people perceived them because of it. But I think anyone who says it's not about homophobia is just kidding themselves.

It's awesome that he even used Disney music haha - as I've said before (I think) I believe this is lyrically and musically the best overall composition that Mika has come up with so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but I have the SFS toy boy and TBWKTM toy boy on my ipod, and one song came after the other on shuffle and I noticed tha at the beginning of SFS toy boy is the like flute intro, but TBWKTM one doesn't have it. :dunno:

I've noticed that too:shocked:

Flutes rock:naughty: