TOY BOY - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

Exactly... I remember people saying that the orchestra will ruin everything and we won't hear how he will articulate words...etc, but I imagine it will be arranged more like Any Other World - the orchestra is quiet in most parts except in between verses&the chorus.:wink2:

I hate the AOW track. 'Nuff said. :naughty:

Exactly... I remember people saying that the orchestra will ruin everything and we won't hear how he will articulate words...etc, but I imagine it will be arranged more like Any Other World - the orchestra is quiet in most parts except in between verses&the chorus.:wink2:

IMO, it's not for nothing that MIKA's moniker is mikasounds!

I hate the AOW track. 'Nuff said. :naughty:

:blink::blink::blink:

Well, it's not in my top 10 from LICM but still like it (that only says something about how much I love that album)...

I think it's the choir and certain words and phrases in the lyrics that make me feel it's a bit too much - too sweet for my taste.

Besides, it reminds me of Madonna's Dear Jessie from the point when the chellos come in. Actually, the arrangements on Dear Jessie are more like what I'd expect Mika to use on Toy Boy... :naughty:

It is, you can hear the recording with him singing the words to ToyBoy in the background....But to be honest, I'm quite sure that I will prefer the 'acoustic' version of that song over the album version.

This is the ONE song that I feel will most certainly lose its magic once it's all produced and "done up" in the album. Sigh.

of course it's gonna sound a bit different in the studio version with the full orchestra etc. i guess it will be like a song from a film or a musical. being a fan of classical music/musicals etc what i've heard in the vlog has made me really excited about the studio version. but i'm hoping for a quality acoustic version too like the acoustic relax that was a bonus track on the digital LICM:wub2:

:blink::blink::blink:

Well, it's not in my top 10 from LICM but still like it (that only says something about how much I love that album)...

I think it's the choir and certain words and phrases in the lyrics that make me feel it's a bit too much - too sweet for my taste.

It's just all too overproduced and contrived. The emotion and nuance that are present during live performances are absent on the record. This is the fear for Toy Boy, not that his vocals will be drowned out by the sounds of the instruments.

I am hoping that since the recording and the performance in LA were so close together that this won't be the case entirely. He was performing AOW for a year before it became something I looked forward to hearing at the gigs.

Just generally speaking I don't find all of this big stuff that Mika loves works on the record - orchestras, choirs. I am mostly listening to the tracks in a highly compressed electronic version, not on a $5,000 record player and stereo. What probably sounds mind blowing in the studio is mostly just flat for me.

I do love the violins and horns and proper backing vocals in the live performances though. One of the main advantages of a big show over an intimate gig.

I've always been a sucker for the simple, preferably one instrument only + voice tracks, which is for example why one of my all time favourite recordings of Mika's voice is when he does Satellite just with a bit of guitar. Or why I absolutely adore the acoustic Relax that he did at the Fiat London Eye gig, or at the Jo Whiley Live Lounge.

I agree, no instrument is more heavenly than the human voice.

I am a sucker for the a cappella cover of any song. Divine.

Cheers,

Id3

I adore his version of Satellite too! :wub2:

Do you think that he doesn't realise how much we love the sound of his voice and that he just loves to experiment with all these amazing sounds that he can now afford to add...kind of like a kid in a sweet shop... forgetting that we'd prefer it really simple so that we can hear the purity of his voice?

Yes that's so true, but in the vids from the gig there are ignorant people talking when Mika is singing! I posted a comment about it under one of the songs because I think that is beyond rude, and I also think that those people who were holding conversations during the songs (especially Toy Boy and Blue Eyes) didn't deserve to be there. I bet there were many people who would have been happy to shut up and listen to Mika's amazing voice and songs, who couldn't get into the venue and it's such a shame!

Yes that's so true, but in the vids from the gig there are ignorant people talking when Mika is singing! I posted a comment about it under one of the songs because I think that is beyond rude, and I also think that those people who were holding conversations during the songs (especially Toy Boy and Blue Eyes) didn't deserve to be there. I bet there were many people who would have been happy to shut up and listen to Mika's amazing voice and songs, who couldn't get into the venue and it's such a shame!

True, true.

I agree, no instrument is more heavenly than the human voice.

I am a sucker for the a cappella cover of any song. Divine.

Cheers,

Id3

Don't worry. If he does not release the live version as he performed in LA on record (either on the album or as a B side to any single), we will start a petition and force him to.

I bet there were many people who would have been happy to shut up and listen to Mika's amazing voice and songs, who couldn't get into the venue and it's such a shame!

There weren't that many people who were turned away in the end. I think the truly desperate ones found a way. Not everyone are die hard fans. They just hear there is free ice cream, a chance to meet Mika and a free gig where he'll perform Love Today and Grace Kelly. :dunno:

Don't worry. If he does not release the live version as he performed in LA on record (either on the album or as a B side to any single), we will start a petition and force him to.

But he didn't sing it 'a cappella', there were a few instruments in the way, his keyboard included :annoyed_h4h: ...

I would die to hear him sing 'Over my shoulder' without any supporting instrument, just a couple of other voices if need be :wub2: . OMG, I wish I could use the insane smilie !

Cheers,

Id3

But he didn't sing it 'a cappella', there were a few instruments in the way, his keyboard included :annoyed_h4h: ...

I would die to hear him sing 'Over my shoulder' without any supporting instrument, just a couple of other voices if need be :wub2: . OMG, I wish I could use the insane smilie !

Cheers,

Id3

Well, I deliberately wrote live version and NOT a capella... It does need a piano just like Over My Shoulder... + a triangle for TB

I INSIST ON IT:mf_rosetinted:

Which ar....

Oh you're sending us to search?

It's not online anymore, and the article's too long to post. I think it's been posted as a thread on here before. The one where he mentions cabbage patch kid dolls :naughty:

According to

http://www.los40.com/articulo/noticias/Mika-aterriza-Madrid-presentarnos-nuevo-album/l40actn01/20090511l40l40not_2/Tes

"Trata de un muñeco que es abandonado por su dueño, un niño. Su madre lo recoge y decide utilizarlo para hacerle vudú a su marido, que la ha abandonado". Musicalmente, la canción está inspirada en las viejas películas de Disney de los años cuarenta.

"It's about a toy who is abandonned by its owner, a little boy. His mother picks it up it and decides to use it as a voodoo doll against her husband, who had left her". Musically, the song is inspired in the old Disney movies of the 40's...

According to

http://www.los40.com/articulo/noticias/Mika-aterriza-Madrid-presentarnos-nuevo-album/l40actn01/20090511l40l40not_2/Tes

"Trata de un muñeco que es abandonado por su dueño, un niño. Su madre lo recoge y decide utilizarlo para hacerle vudú a su marido, que la ha abandonado". Musicalmente, la canción está inspirada en las viejas películas de Disney de los años cuarenta.

"It's about a toy who is abandonned by its owner, a little boy. His mother picks it up it and decides to use it as a voodoo doll against her husband, who had left her". Musically, the song is inspired in the old Disney movies of the 40's...

dammit, that's a lot less juicy than MY interpretation :sneaky2::roftl:

According to

wha'? the mother gets the toy and uses it like a voodoo thing?

:blink:

*reads lyrics*

oh yeah...i never thought there were so many lines referring to the mother... and where does it say anything about the husband? :blink::blink:

this is a lot different than what i got from that song :teehee:

dammit, that's a lot less juicy than MY interpretation :sneaky2::roftl:

And mine :naughty:

Mind you, my old English teacher used to say "Don't trust the author, trust the words" :wink2:

According to

Ha...a really boring interpretation...that is so much more to it!:roftl:

Maybe this is the simplified version for lazy journalists!?:naughty:

dammit, that's a lot less juicy than MY interpretation

This is the politically correct official public explanation, privately is something else...

:biggrin2:

wha'? the mother gets the toy and uses it like a voodoo thing?

*reads lyrics*

oh yeah...i never thought there were so many lines referring to the mother... and where does it say anything about the husband?

this is a lot different than what i got from that song :teehee:

So she dressed me up as the man she loved

Then threw me in a box when she had had enough

And mine :naughty:

Mind you, my old English teacher used to say "Don't trust the author, trust the words" :wink2:

Mine used to say "Don't thrust an author who wears red pants..."

And thats exactly what we will do in this particularly case...:biggrin2:

Ha...a really boring interpretation...that is so much more to it!:roftl:

Maybe this is the simplified version for lazy journalists!?:naughty:

Nah they got that one completely wrong :sneaky2: Don't care if it was Mika who said it, then he clearly didn't understand the song :sneaky2::roftl:

I'll say again what i told Sara:

Publicly politically correct, privately it is something else...:biggrin2: