LONELY ALCOHOLIC - Lyrics Discussion

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that it's about being alive and walking on the ground and then when you die you are buried in the ground (dust where you walked on )...like in the religious saying "ashes to ashes , dust to dust", not really funny but the album's name is Songs of sorrow!

I believe that it's about being alive and walking on the ground and then when you die you are buried in the ground (dust where you walked on )...like in the religious saying "ashes to ashes , dust to dust", not really funny but the album's name is Songs of sorrow!

Nah, It still doesn't add up to me :\

You are absolutely right... The chords and even the beginning of the melody are similar.. but it can still be accidental

.. it sounds like a typical song a bunch of drunken guys would sing in a pub in England.... If he deliverately wrote it like that, he is clever... but if he was simply following his instincts then he is a genius.:wub2: (:naughty:)

I'm sure the similarities with that song are completely accidental; it's only natural that music you listen to subconsciously influences your own creativity.

Haha that's true...it's a good ploy to get people singing the song and open up his music to a wider audience :naughty:

Oh wow that's a cool interpretation, I hadn't thought of it like that!

The way I interpreted it was that the dirt represents how we live and act. If you are immoral and deceitful, or just plain selfish or nasty, then you can't expect to change and leave all your past behind; the way you live affects who you are, and if there's dirt on your shoes then it's because of how you've lived, and it won't just disappear when you want it to.

I hope that didn't sound preachy...that's just the image that I get from these lines! :wink2:

OH!! you have made me look at those lyrics in a different way now lol (how cool), cos I interpreted "The dirt in which we are stepping is the one in which we will be found" as meaning... well over here there is a saying and it goes "it's only the depth that varies" and it means, always in the poop(dirt)with things, but it's only the depth of poop that varies. So I took it to mean that..... the poop we are stepping in is the poop we always seem to be found in, as in no change there then, kinda thing.

But I like the other interpretations too.

For some reason, this song brings up a bizarre little scenario. I can just imagine a load of people in one crowded room, everyone drunk, singing this song........just seems like one of those songs that unites people together at the end of a very random night lol....like "always look on the bright side of life" or "F*** her gently" from Tenacious D lol xD

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO KNEW THAT SONG:roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl:

That's what's so wonderful about Mika's lyrics; we all feel different emotions and have different interpretations of his songs when we listen to them! I see parts of my life (events, people)as I listen to "Any other world" , "My interpretation" , "Relax" and "Happy ending" and it really helps coping with the bad moments and enjoying good onces even more.

OH!! you have made me look at those lyrics in a different way now lol (how cool), cos I interpreted "The dirt in which we are stepping is the one in which we will be found" as meaning... well over here there is a saying and it goes "it's only the depth that varies" and it means, always in the poop(dirt)with things, but it's only the depth of poop that varies. So I took it to mean that..... the poop we are stepping in is the poop we always seem to be found in, as in no change there then, kinda thing.

Ahh!!! I love that interpretation!!!

Oh cool, that's a good one...I love hearing different interpretations of it!

That's what's so wonderful about Mika's lyrics; we all feel different emotions and have different interpretations of his songs when we listen to them! I see parts of my life (events, people)as I listen to "Any other world" , "My interpretation" , "Relax" and "Happy ending" and it really helps coping with the bad moments and enjoying good onces even more.

Yeah, it's cool to hear what everyone brings to the meaning of the lyrics. :biggrin2:

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly how I interpreted that line as well -- never even

questioned it. The dirt on which we're stepping is the one in

which we will be found -- as in we're all walking on the earth

today and, eventually, we'll all be buried in it.

That's exactly how I interpreted that line as well -- never even

questioned it. The dirt on which we're stepping is the one in

which we will be found -- as in we're all walking on the earth

today and, eventually, we'll all be buried in it.

Hihi at first it's what I understood too, like, it was obvious. But THEN, I thought about something else:

What if when he talks about "dirt", he actually talks about the ****ty situation these people are in and that it will never improve and that even at the end of their life, they will still be in this ****ty situation? Just an idea I had... But I guess the first interpretation is the most plausible one... ^^

He has a weird accent... hasn't he?

Maybe if he wasn't eating as well as talking.

And if he'd thought out what to say before he started the camera :roftl:

He doesn't sound French to me.

Maybe if he wasn't eating as well as talking.

And if he'd thought out what to say before he started the camera :roftl:

He doesn't sound French to me.

Mwaaaaaa ha ha:roftl:

Hihi at first it's what I understood too, like, it was obvious. But THEN, I thought about something else:

What if when he talks about "dirt", he actually talks about the ****ty situation these people are in and that it will never improve and that even at the end of their life, they will still be in this ****ty situation? Just an idea I had... But I guess the first interpretation is the most plausible one... ^^

Yeah, that's more or less how I saw it. Not just them, though, but everyone- whatever specific "dirt" we let remain in our lives will bury us in the end.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's such a beautiful song, i think it's about people coming together in the world. The fact that everyone has problems, but no one thinks about the people who aren't close to us. When he talks about writing songs about other peoples misfortunes, & crimes, he's trying to say that he's doing how he knows to tell people that he's thinking of them. The song is all connected because the fact that it's called "Lonely Alcholic" & the bit "ooo baby, don't leave me alone" bit is connected with the stressed out single mothers bit. Saying we are the cause of some of our own problems, the birth of some of our problems because the way we deal with them.

ALSO, the fact it's called lonely alcoholic is a bit ironic because when you're drunk people often tell the truth, we already KNOW people are suffering with problems all over the world, it's just what we do about them which is the important thing. You can't pause time, or change what's already happened, so learn & stop it from happening again in the future. Where he sings "I'm just craving to be heard" i think it's not only talking about himself but other people. Some people have really important opinions on things but just aren't heard. It says "Well they that i am doing my duty to the world" because he's actually found HIS way of getting his opinions across, even if he didn't get as famous as he did, at least SOMEONE might hear it & learn.

Then it's pretty blunt in the next verse, when it talks about kids who don't eat enough & men with many wives. But the most important lines out of the whole song i think are:

"if we're altogether screaming why can't we make a sound

'cause the dirt on which we're stepping is the one in which we will be found"

Saying if everyone is trying to tell people how they think & feel, why do people still have these problems? And why isn't there an easier way of sorting them out? And for some it might not be until we die when people look up & realise what this person had to say & what they're going through OR it could mean, if we really make an effort to talk to people & get what want said.. HEARD, then we really have to make an effor to get in there & make a difference in our own way that we found.