Thoughts on the Songs for Sorrow EP?

& another 1 bites the dust ! now for some more non ass-suckers pleaseeeeeeee :teehee:

Are there any more? :teehee:

Well, as anyone who knows me and my Mika career can confirm, I'm no asskisser for sure :naughty:, but I do happen to like these songs a lot now.

When I initially heard them I liked the voice in LA and I didn't like LJ (too much falsetto and I didn't quite get the interest in the story), but after I listened to them a few times they actually grew on me and I sort of switched sides. Now I like LJ and I don't love the lyrics in LA, but I love the way he sings it in the second half of the song.

I find the lyrics a bit too contrived, too "obvious" and in your face, a bit patronising like Silver said. I think that it's all too spelled out for it to be a good song, but what I don't like lyric wise I love mellody and, especially, voice wise :wub2:. The way he sings this, especially the second part of the song, has me totally gripped. I just love the way the piano and the voice go together, so I can like it despite me not liking the lyrics.

I will admit though that the whine/wine line is great, but all in all I would subscribe to his 'i'm a mediocre writer' line. He is learning though, and I do see that his progression from LICM to here has been quite important, so I think that we're moving in the right direction.

Lady Jane was the opposite. I started off disliking it intensely because I don't like the falsetto, the way his voice is so steadily high pitched in it, and I also find the line 'there's another reason why you shouldn't eat fish' waaaaaaaaay too obvious again, too mundane if you will. IMO it doesn't match the rest of the song which is all fable like, and that part really put me off initially.

For some reason though, after a few more listens, I did start liking it and now I love it. I think that I like this one more than Blue Eyes to be honest, although it's hard to tell without hearing the recorded version of BE.

In general though I'm a total sucker for voice and one instrument quiet tracks, so these already have a lot gained in my eyes before I even start listening to them properly.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so looking forward to having the EP!! I really love "Lady Jane" and "Lonely Alcoholic" (with a little preference for LA, though I find the LJ's lyrics amazing). And I can't wait to see the art work! I'm sur this will be amazing.

I think Mana's post is very interesting. Mika's music is ironical. When you first listen to his songs, you only notice the happy tunes. But when you go a bit deeper and really listen to the lyrics, you notice how dark some of his songs are. I really like that! It's clever and magic and funny at the same time... hard to describe...

I'm not sure this EP thing will please everyone ^^.

Maybe the lyrics of LA mean a bit more to me. Although I hardly drink and am rarely lonely. :boxed: I suppose for alcoholic you could substitute any addiction?

:roftl:

Maybe.

You're a crazy old cat lady with a tendency to whine :mf_rosetinted:

That's not quite as catchy as:

You're a crazy old chainsmoking drugusing mean children-of-her-lawn-scaring knitting-to-waste-her-time cat lady smelling like mothballs with a tendency to whine.:mf_rosetinted:

But Sari, do you really like his voice, espcially in LJ?

It just doesn't sound like the real Mika to me, it sounds like he's trying too hard to get the sound right, like someone trying to sing in a style that just doesn't come naturally. I really don't like it.

I might change my mind, but don't hold your breath.

:roftl:

Maybe.

That's not quite as catchy as:

You're a crazy old chainsmoking drugusing mean children-of-her-lawn-scaring knitting-to-waste-her-time cat lady smelling like mothballs with a tendency to whine.:mf_rosetinted:

SO! Who's been spilling the beans about me?? :sneaky2:

Just read the thread but can't MQ as the smilies would cause me a nightmare...so now I have forgotten who said what.

However, I share quite a lot of the opinions that have been expressed. I love the fact that Mika is doing this as a non commercial project...just because he wants to.

It doesn't really bother me what the wider world thinks of Mika. As Marilyn said..........he IS unique.....and if the masses, washed or unwashed, can't see that then they are missing out.

I am fairly obsessed with LJ currently.....but am certainly looking forward to hearing the recorded version of TB. I really can't believe how low his voice is in that.

It just doesn't sound like the real Mika to me, it sounds like he's trying too hard to get the sound right, like someone trying to sing in a style that just doesn't come naturally. I really don't like it.

well, initially I HATED his voice in it, because I found it way too high pitched and that it sounded just wrong. And I still don't like it a lot, but I like the way he uses it towards the end of the song, and I like the general vibe of the song.

What does amaze me is that I started off hating this song and now I really like it, so I'm not quite sure how that happened but this is the stage that I'm at now :roftl:. For some reason one day I listened to it in a different frame of mind and suddenly I got into the story and it all made sense, and it was beautiful.

I can't say what it was or why, but it just happened.

and why a song about fishes and why not about mermaids ?:mf_rosetinted::roftl:

Well, I get the feeling that when Mika is calling LJ a 'fish', in reality what he has in mind is a mermaid type thing, but that's too mainstream for him so he won't call her that :crybaby:

well, initially I HATED his voice in it, because I found it way too high pitched and that it sounded just wrong. And I still don't like it a lot, but I like the way he uses it towards the end of the song, and I like the general vibe of the song.

What does amaze me is that I started off hating this song and now I really like it, so I'm not quite sure how that happened but this is the stage that I'm at now :roftl:. For some reason one day I listened to it in a different frame of mind and suddenly I got into the story and it all made sense, and it was beautiful.

I can't say what it was or why, but it just happened.

That's really interesting because exactly the same thing happened with me.

Well, I get the feeling that when Mika is calling LJ a 'fish', in reality what he has in mind is a mermaid type thing, but that's too mainstream for him so he won't call her that :crybaby:

I still can't make my mind up about LJ. He does use his voice very well in it, but the lyrics grate a bit. You are right that they are too mundane for what should be an otherworldly story. It's too rooted in ordinary life and not fairy tale enough.

If he does ever write a musical, he should get a decent librettist.:naughty:

I have only heard Lonely Alcoholic and Lady Jane so far. I've listened to them three or four times. Maybe I need to listen more.

I don't like them much. If I had to choose one, it would be LA. I like the tunes, but the words, especially LJ are so cheesy and off beat, they mean nothing to me.

I don't like Mika's voice in these songs either, it sounds very manufactured and what Christine calls Broadway cheese.

This isn't the Mika whose music I fell in love with. When I first heard LICM previewed, I loved every track instantly and that hasn't changed over time.

I know everyone is saying he's showing another side of himself etc etc, I think this must be the side I don't care to see.

Roll on the album.

as I said before several times, I despised BE, GGG and didn't like (just to be mercy :aah: ) BOTG, which is a shame, as I had REALLY liked it on the video blog.

TB was a disappointment for me at first, but now it's grown on me and I like it much now. very much.

same goes for LA, which I actually loved from the beginning. LJ is ok, but not my fave one.

why on earth heleft rain out of the EP::???!! :sneaky2: to make it a single, that's clear! bad mika. :mf_rosetinted:

I think the EP is fine for what it is - a bit of a self-indulgent side project and a foundation for the acoustic tour. I will enjoy these songs live (already have with Toy Boy and Blue Eyes).

The problem is with the timing, as it should have been released last year and not as a runup to a new album. The press and most fans are going to view this EP as a comeback of sorts and be misled into thinking that this is some strange new direction Mika has taken with his music.

Honestly if I had heard Lady Jane and Lonely Alcoholic on Mikasounds without hearing Blame it on the Girls, etc. at the secret gig and watching clips on his new music vlog - I would have freaked out.

I read some comments on Perez's blog, written by Mika fans, that Mika has lost his magic. Mika can only hope that most of the 5 million people who bought LICM don't catch wind of this EP until the album comes out as I'm sure many would have a similar reaction.

I am also finding with Lady Jane that I am not horribly averse to the falsetto as I was at first and think the story is interesting in the way that Toy Boy is and Lonely Alcoholic is not. But some of the word choices are terribly grating and I can't get past them. All of that fish talk and words like "abort" do not work and strike me as either being too lazy to construct a more fluid and elegant way of expressing the ideas or contrived to make a convenient rhyme.

This is not the case with Toy Boy and I can't help thinking that if he'd just spent more time on Lady Jane it could have been in the same league.

As Bab said Lonely Alcoholic is Broadway cheese in the extreme, but I can tolerate it since it doesn't come across as a serious song. I find that cheesiness far more cringeworthy in many performances of Any Other World because of the earnestness of the song and the early acoustic performances of Rain were just completely unbearable to me. Now that almost a year has gone by and he's managed to produce a version that's 1000% better, I can't imagine the original acoustic version is ever going to grow on me.

Edited by Christine

Bab, when I first heard the songs, I got the same impression as you had, that he doesn't sound natural, but despite that now the more I listen to them the more I like them, love everything: the melody, the lyrics, his voice, the piano, the atmosphere.

So before judging I want to listen carefully to both the EP and CD, and I really can't wait!

It's poetry. There are layers of meaning supported by the word choices. So, one can listen to the song literally and understand the story, but if one chooses to listen to it as poetry then more layers of meaning are revealed within the story. The listener may end up picking up on unintended interpretations as well, but good poetry is designed for that.

The lyrics are like his music. They seem simple and obvious, but there's more going on than is immediately apparent. It's a great treat for people who enjoy such things and annoying for people who don't like such games.

Exactly. That's why I said I like that new level of storytelling. I'd choose LJ or LA over a second 'Big Girl' any day of the week.

Exactly. That's why I said I like that new level of storytelling. I'd choose LJ or LA over a second 'Big Girl' any day of the week.

Oh, but of course. As much as I'm dissecting these songs for the sake of constructive criticism, I still think that they are a million times better than many or most of the LICM ones for sure, hence why I said that I find that his writing has improved a lot. Big Girl is actually quite a bad song tbh.

My personal preference is for songs with strong lyrics.

However, I don't think Big Girl is a bad song for not meeting that preference. I think that it works as a dance song/theme song for a dance club. I think that the message of the song is subversive enough that it makes a strong statement without a story/multi-layered lyrics.

Still, I agree that his writing has much improved. He's growing as an artist and it's fun to be along for the ride.

I think it was another thread where there was talk about it being a ridiculous statement that LICM is about childhood when the themes of the songs are so adult. I think it's pretty obvious that it's about his childhood as an artist and that as an artist he's reaching adolescence . He'll keep growing and maturing in his art and come into his own as an adult eventually...maybe :wink2:

There are certainly various levels of quality in his work, but I wouldn't call any of it bad.

Interesting idea that- it might explain how he could contradict himself (which he did) without being dishonest

My personal preference is for songs with strong lyrics.

However, I don't think Big Girl is a bad song for not meeting that preference. I think that it works as a dance song/theme song for a dance club. I think that the message of the song is subversive enough that it makes a strong statement without a story/multi-layered lyrics.

Still, I agree that his writing has much improved. He's growing as an artist and it's fun to be along for the ride.

I think it was another thread where there was talk about it being a ridiculous statement that LICM is about childhood when the themes of the songs are so adult. I think it's pretty obvious that it's about his childhood as an artist and that as an artist he's reaching adolescence. He'll keep growing and maturing in his art and come into his own as an adult eventually...maybe :wink2:

There are certainly various levels of quality in his work, but I wouldn't call any of it bad.

We'll have to disagree about Big Girl then. Personally, I think that the lyrics are quite bad, and, as much as it may make us fans bounce when we hear it, I certainly can't envisage it being played at any clubs as a dance track.

Anyway, on the spanish interview re the album ages, I can't of course comment on what Mika actually said unless I hear him, but the way the reporter said it, it was very clearly alluding to his life stages and not to a metaphorical album age. But of course we won't actually know what Mika said until we hear it straight out of his mouth. Which, thinking of it, I can't wait to watch new interviews with him now.

We'll have to disagree about Big Girl then. Personally, I think that the lyrics are quite bad,

Don't forget it was Mika aged 6-11 on that album...:mf_rosetinted:

(:naughty:) ... as we have just learnt

I havent really given the EP much of a chance yet - but what i have heard i dont dislike , and i expect the songs may grow on me when i recieve the EP and listen to it in my own home ... to me the EP is just a bonus anyway and its just a nice feeling the next phase is beggining.... so even if they dont grow on me i'll look forward to the album - some of the songs i have heard from LA that are going to be on the album i do love - so i know i wont be dissapointed in the long run ... i dont expect to like every song mika brings out ... lollypop and billy brown grated on me but i still loved LICM ...

As for the lyrics - i havent really listened , im all about the catchyness of the tune and THEN i seem to discover the lyrics :naughty:

Edited by mikas_gal07

We'll have to disagree about Big Girl then. Personally, I think that the lyrics are quite bad, and, as much as it may make us fans bounce when we hear it, I certainly can't envisage it being played at any clubs as a dance track.

Anyway, on the spanish interview re the album ages, I can't of course comment on what Mika actually said unless I hear him, but the way the reporter said it, it was very clearly alluding to his life stages and not to a metaphorical album age. But of course we won't actually know what Mika said until we hear it straight out of his mouth. Which, thinking of it, I can't wait to watch new interviews with him now.

same here :mf_rosetinted:

I certainly think Mika is evolving as a songwriter and performer. I don't really mind what he perceives the songs to be, whether it's HIS childhood and adolescence, or his growth as a musician from childhood to adolescence. what excites me is that he is blossoming, as a songwriter and performer. He was fantastic at the start, but he's getting even better (like fine wine)