• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the way he sings "...shouldn't eat fiiiiIIIIiiiish"

it just cracks me up everytime:teehee:

and he's singing it so serious,it's killing me

update: today the first 3 lines of the LA has grown on me,i'm making progress

It really cracks me up too:lmfao:

Yes, that is how it is for me. I am not a major lyrics freak, at all, and I will happily love a song that I haven't dissected for its ulterior and deepest meaning, but it just has to "sound right" when I listen to it. That not eating fish line just doesn't do it for me :wink2:. But then again, neither does the whole Big Girl for example I mean wtf is this about?? "walks into the room, feels like a big balloon" ??? :blink::roftl:

Yeah, I never understood BG either.:roftl:

Wow, such a shame everything leaked out already.

Oh, and after having said that: I REALLY LOVE BLUE EYES!

Oh wow, Toy Boy is really good too.

Edited by xlindee

That is so AWESOME!

I've spent so much time learning about the idiosyncracies of different regions and their idioms that it's really neat to learn that different regions have some things in common :wub2:

Oh I think I've found language freak sister?!:wub2:

Do you speak any other language but English?

It always surprises me too to find that so many expressions and even sayings in Swedish have their counterparts in English!:thumb_yello:

"Here's another reason why you shouldn't eat fish" - I don't like.:aah:

"No need to fantasize since I was in my braces" - I don't like.:blink:

"Lonely is so lonely alone" - I like. A lot.

It's like Edgar Allan Poe writing "A Dream Within A Dream".

"Here's another reason why you shouldn't eat fish" - I still like it.

"Abort" - Liked it yesterday, don't like it today. Guess it depends on my mood. I seemed to feel pretty strongly about it yesterday for some reason! :naughty:

"No need to fantasize since I was in my braces" - I don't like either. Wtf does it mean? I don't know why but I always interpreted it as "don't need to fantasize because my braces are stretchy so there's room to grow if I get chubby and then I can be one of them - won't have to just fantasize anymore" although that makes absolutely no sense either, and is a bit embarrassing to admit. :roftl::roftl:

"Lonely is so lonely alone" - I don't like it either. I do however like the suggestion of "Human is so lonely alone".

Yes, me too. I can't not hear a proper recorded version of TB with the same simplicity that we had in LA, and hopefully it will regain some of the passion that the "proper" track seems to lack IMO.

I much preferred his version from The Roxy, which I fell in love with, because it had so much more soul in it :blink:.

100000% agreed!

:teehee:

Not going to do the multiquotes here but just comment on a couple of things I read earlier today.

The literalism - It's not that I cannot appreciate songs on a non-literal level. I just don't think there is an excusable reason in many of these cases for the lyrics of a pop song to not make sense on a literal level. The lyrics should be working on all levels if they are truly great.

I am with Kata in that I'm all about clever word play. IMO it requires more skill than saying lonely, lonely, alone or rainy rainy rain to emphasize a point.

I disagree with zoots that LJ is a different genre to Toy Boy. They are very much the same and Toy Boy is a story so perfectly communicated on all levels which is why I would have loved to have seen LJ spun a bit differently. He's demonstrated it can be done, so just do it again, okay? :naughty:

Pisces - "Pisces" is not "fish" which is exactly my point. There are other ways to refer to this character than by repeatedly using a harsh old Germanic word that puts me in mind of some foul mouthed woman working at Billingsgate.

He doesn't use the word sea over and over. He refers to the water, the river, the deep, the ocean. What's with all the flippin fish talk? :aah:

As I have said before though, I do like Lady Jane, and despite my picky little criticisms I find the lyric as a whole emotionally affecting and the melody really lovely.

Yes I feel this way about all of the new songs. There is something I like in all of them and I probably wouldn't offer any criticism at all if fans were just saying "I really like this" instead of "the lyrics are genius". I mean all the lyrics are not genius and it just has to be said. :teehee:

I spoke to Mika about an hour after the LA gig so I'd like to think I'm one of the first regular fans to give him feedback on the new songs. I told him they were exactly what I had hoped for and I truly meant it.

Edited by Christine

Most of the pop songs I can think of that are considered great have lyrics that don't work on a literal level. Many surrealist artists are considered great without working on anything resembling a literal level.

"Truly great" is a subjective value judgement, not a quantifiable measure of something. Any teacher of the arts worth their salt will never call something great, but will offer the piece as an example of a specific genre and will explain why it has been accepted as truly great in some discussions and discarded as trash in others. The arts are taught that way because they are subjective.

There is so much discussion about what is great because there are so many ideas of what makes something great. Record sales are a good measure of something's popularity and it's ability to hold popular interest over time. By that measure, the Beatles are great. Scholars who spend their time immersed in the arts use other measures to determine greatness. Which measures are used tend to be determined by the scholars' fields of expertise. One set will focus on grammar, literalism, correctness, etc. Another set will focus on the elements of execution and relative originality.

So, it's valid that you don't consider the songs "truly great" by the standards that you use. It's equally valid for others to call the lyrics "genius" by the standards that they use.

Art doesn't have to work on all levels to be truly great. In fact, art cannot work on all levels and be anything other than mediocre. In order to excel in one artful way, one has to fail in at least one other. A surrealist piece of art by its very nature cannot be a literal piece of art. An impressionist painting utterly fails to be a literal representation of reality. A pun makes sense both literally and figuratively, but doesn't generally excel at either because it has to be mediocre at both to excel at being a pun.

Scatting doesn't make any kind of sense, but is artistically fun. Does it excel at anything? Does it have to?

Mika's lyrics don't have to be literal or great or genius to be enjoyable. His music excels at being enjoyable to different people at different times. That's great by some standards even though it isn't consistently great by all standards because nothing can be consistently great by all standards at the same time.

So, you think a phrase sucks while others think it's brilliant. You're right. They're right. I'm right. Isn't art great?! :wub2:

... I think you are....right :thumb_yello:

:biggrin2:

Most of the pop songs I can think of that are considered great have lyrics that don't work on a literal level. Many surrealist artists are considered great without working on anything resembling a literal level.

"Truly great" is a subjective value judgement, not a quantifiable measure of something. Any teacher of the arts worth their salt will never call something great, but will offer the piece as an example of a specific genre and will explain why it has been accepted as truly great in some discussions and discarded as trash in others. The arts are taught that way because they are subjective.

There is so much discussion about what is great because there are so many ideas of what makes something great. Record sales are a good measure of something's popularity and it's ability to hold popular interest over time. By that measure, the Beatles are great. Scholars who spend their time immersed in the arts use other measures to determine greatness. Which measures are used tend to be determined by the scholars' fields of expertise. One set will focus on grammar, literalism, correctness, etc. Another set will focus on the elements of execution and relative originality.

So, it's valid that you don't consider the songs "truly great" by the standards that you use. It's equally valid for others to call the lyrics "genius" by the standards that they use.

Art doesn't have to work on all levels to be truly great. In fact, art cannot work on all levels and be anything other than mediocre. In order to excel in one artful way, one has to fail in at least one other. A surrealist piece of art by its very nature cannot be a literal piece of art. An impressionist painting utterly fails to be a literal representation of reality. A pun makes sense both literally and figuratively, but doesn't generally excel at either because it has to be mediocre at both to excel at being a pun.

Scatting doesn't make any kind of sense, but is artistically fun. Does it excel at anything? Does it have to?

Mika's lyrics don't have to be literal or great or genius to be enjoyable. His music excels at being enjoyable to different people at different times. That's great by some standards even though it isn't consistently great by all standards because nothing can be consistently great by all standards at the same time.

So, you think a phrase sucks while others think it's brilliant. You're right. They're right. I'm right. Isn't art great?! :wub2:

I agree with you. I have The Killers Day & Age album and in a sense, their lyrics are like Mika's, in the sense that you can interpret them your own way, and someone else has a different interpretation, but it's still valid.

Things like... Are we human, or are we dancer, can be interpreted different ways, as can Neon Tiger, etc.

But that, and decent tunes, are what makes a song stand out. Mika's songs stand out because the lyrics are not predictable, and the tunes are great. I don't think we always need songs that are too obvious, it's nice to have songs that are more thought provoking.

Loving Toy Boy and Blue Eyes :wub2:

I love Blue Eyes! I've had it on repeat all afternoon! I really don't like Toy Boy... the lyrics remind me of Soldier by Hanson, but the music really irritates me...

Ooooops... :blush-anim-cl:

Yep, I happened to get my hands on the songs...

Yes, that is how it is for me. I am not a major lyrics freak, at all, and I will happily love a song that I haven't dissected for its ulterior and deepest meaning, but it just has to "sound right" when I listen to it. That not eating fish line just doesn't do it for me :wink2:. But then again, neither does the whole Big Girl for example :crybaby: I mean wtf is this about?? "walks into the room, feels like a big balloon" ??? :blink::roftl:

I completely agree!!!

Song songs sound right to me, some don't... I'm not a "disect the lyrics" kind of person, I did enough of that during senior high school and hated it...

In some ways, disecting the lyrics kind of ruins the song for me.. that and I take songs waaaaay too literally...

but still it spoiled the surprise. couldn't they wait till the EP was sold out!

I don't reckon it ruins the surprise, considering Mika put two of the songs on MS...

I've gotten my hands on new albums early, and it didn't ruin the surprise for me... but that's just me...

but still i can't wait to get my physical copy:wub2:

Neither can I! It's gonna be great!

Very well put, I think.

I like to insert this when discussions of this sort ensue-- :blush-anim-cl:

http://www.evl.uic.edu/swami/crabcanon

So, it's valid that you don't consider the songs "truly great" by the standards that you use.

I'm not talking about the songs as a whole, but the lyrics. If listeners have no idea what "no need to fantasize since I was in my braces" means on any level then they are pretty crap lyrics by any measure.

I really can't subscribe to the theory that all lyrics are equally good because art is subjective. Lyrics involve language and communication, not strictly art. If the language is bad to the point where the ideas are not communicated effectively, then they are flawed.

Mika's lyrics don't have to be literal or great or genius to be enjoyable.

I think that goes without saying. But enjoyable does not equal genius. :teehee:

That's all I'm saying.

k so i havent read all the other thoughts yet but...

I LOVE IT!!! the artwork is amazing (as always) it is very personal like licm was and has so many intricate details i spent like 10 mins examining each drawing especially lonely alcoholic the lyrics are dark and deep and rather than having them dark but giving them a happy tone like he did in licm with lollipop and everything he kept them what they were and they were amazing! and as for blame it on the girls and good gone girl i dont think he will add those two songs cuz to me they dont exactly fit in the ep since they are more upbeat

I'm in love with Lady Jane. I haven't stopped singing it for days now =)

mm, I just wanted to say how I think Lady Jane is the weakest song. I just don't get it...maybe it's because english isn't my first language, but I don't get the fish part :naughty:

mm, I just wanted to say how I think Lady Jane is the weakest song. I just don't get it...maybe it's because english isn't my first language, but I don't get the fish part :naughty:

I think the whole premise of Lady Jane, is supposed to be about lost/unrequited love, and he used fish as a metaphore.

I'm in love with Lady Jane. I haven't stopped singing it for days now =)

It’s very “singable” indeed, especially the line “That’s another reason why you shouldn’t eat fish”:biggrin2:

I don’t know why it got stuck in my head???:wink2: