Thoughts on the Songs for Sorrow EP?

Mika himself pretty much backed up what we've been saying about this project being an expression of creativity and not a commercial venture.

In an article from his Parisian press lunch, he said the following. Mind you, this is run through an online translator, but I think the message is clear:

"I wanted to take back music without thinking of commercial considerations."

Exactly. We understand, Mika, we understand. :wub2:

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly :wub2:

And exactly again :thumb_yello:.

Re the songs, I'm afraid that I will have to subscribe (letter by letter) to everything that Mana and Zoots have said, because they said the same things that I was thinking, but just put it a lot better than I could.

I started off liking Lonely Alkie (:naughty:) a lot more, but I am finding now that I am liking Lady Jane more.

The lyrics in LA don't really struck me as much as the fable in LJ, which I really like after I got over the initial shock of the whole fish mentions :roftl: (I was wondering wtf is he going on about fish for, but after I listened again I can see where it fits, although that one line in the song I think he could have written differently and it would be nicer)

All in all, what I love about these songs is their simplicity with the piano+voice combo, and especially how he's working his voice. I love how he sings these songs, and how they show his voice in all its beauty. I am a sucker for Mika's voice, and I found that most of the LICM songs didn't actually let him use it in its full "glory".

I really can't wait to hear all these acoustic songs, I can't. I have no idea how I will ever go back to his normal shows instead of acoustic gigs in the future, LOL!!

Exactly. :wink2:

You can embed the little imeem player from that article on facebook/myspace etc.:thumb_yello:

Thanx for pointing that out:

Just added "Lady Jane" to my facebook!

That "Lady Jane" is somethin' else!

I like the 2 new songs, though I've a niggling doubt that Lonely Alcoholic is a bit patronising though I think it comes accross as really caring. The thing that really hits me is that the version of Blue Eyes that we've heard isn't anything like as complex as the other three and doesn't really fit- unless there's more coming. The other thing that hit me was that there won't be a video :badmood::crybaby::puppy_eyes:

Some people who liked LICM might not like it. But the masses (who do wash) thought LICM was inane. It's a shame more people won't hear it- a song like Toy Boy (I'm sure the UK has had plenty of offbeat number ones) or Lady Jane might have won Mika fans a bit of respect.

Aren't you coming to SAddlers Wells Marilyn?

I don't think I can get the EP anyway, because I can't order it from mikasounds, as it says you need a password, and my mikasounds password doesn't work to order it.

The site selling the EPs is separate from Mikasounds. You have to register another account here:

https://secure.xurbiaxendless.com/MikaStore/Store/StoreRegisterStep1.html

I'm not into Lady Jane sorry but it hurts my ears actually :boxed:but I love Lonely Alcoholic and it made me cry when I 1st heard it ,the lyrics are so interesting and Blue eyes is such an adorable and sad song .I really hope he releases Toy boy as a single that would be perfect and everyone here will be happy and pleased :biggrin2::naughty:

And where is the song "We are golden" which he mentions in the Q mag ?

I'm not struck with Lady Jane either though the lyrics are interesting. Lonely Alcoholic is a bit too lazy lyrically except for the bits where he gets personal. I didn't think I liked "Blue Eyes" but have been humming the chorus to myself :bleh:

Toy Boy is amazing, but not a single.

We are Golden is on the album, Vanessa:thumb_yello:

:mf_rosetinted: And I still think he is missing a trick by not recording some of the other demo songs we have heard (one in particular).

Sariflor is right.. i think that in these new songs we can hear his voice in his full glory :wub2: in some parts of the songs, his voice is so powerful! amazing.. the bad thing that there aren`t singles material.. maybe Blue Eyes.. but i can`t really imagine hearing Lady Jane in the radios :boxed:

I like the new songs a lot ! :wub2::wub2: I can't wait to see the different interpretations in the book.:teehee:

I just hope I'll be able to save enough money and get a credit card to buy the EP... :boxed:

same here... :sneaky2:

maybe i`ll order it next month...

Thanks to this EP, I'm back in my "I can't listen to anything other than Mika, because everything else sounds like crap compared to it" mindset: Just like I was for the first about 6 months after LiCM came out. I love the new stuff so much. I knew he wouldn't disappoint us. :blush-anim-cl:

I agree, this EP isn't to sell millions of copies and make lots of money. It's just something extra, and with different types of songs. I'm actually hoping the songs on the EP might help critics to take him more seriously as a brilliant singer and songwriter, instead of dissing him, like many did in 2007.

I don't think I can get the EP anyway, because I can't order it from mikasounds, as it says you need a password, and my mikasounds password doesn't work to order it. I Googled John Smith stores to get locations, and also Lavin, but couldn't find out if there are stores in Manchester, and couldn't find the EP listed anywhere. Has anyone else managed to order it okay?

try Paul Smith

i ordered the EP

I know i like Toy Boy, Blue eyes and Lonely Alcoholic:wub2:

i'm not as keen on Lady Jane, i just don't get the fish story. but that's ok... the melody is gorgeous, the voice is great!

i find that Lonely Alcoholic reminds me of "beauty school drop out" from grease!

seriously, this guy should write a musical! :thumb_yello:

Paul Smith Manchester:

66-68 Bridge Street, Manchester, M3 2RJ

Tel: 0161-831-9111

Hours: 月-木 9:30-18:00, 金-土 9:00-18:00, 日 11:00-17:00

(off the Japanese site!)

Thanx for pointing that out:

Just added "Lady Jane" to my facebook!

That "Lady Jane" is somethin' else!

Lady Jane keeps playing in my head! I like Lonely Alcoholic, but Lady Jane is so unique! It is truly wonderful! I'm also liking that this EP project isn't for comercial gain, but for the sake of musical and visual art!

You know, I don't think we can call Mika a popstar anymore! He's really something else entirely, that hasn't got a name yet. But one day we'll find a way to describe the unique miracle that is our MIKA!

I like the 2 new songs, though I've a niggling doubt that Lonely Alcoholic is a bit patronising though I think it comes accross as really caring. The thing that really hits me is that the version of Blue Eyes that we've heard isn't anything like as complex as the other three and doesn't really fit- unless there's more coming. The other thing that hit me was that there won't be a video :badmood::crybaby::puppy_eyes:

Some people who liked LICM might not like it. But the masses (who do wash) thought LICM was inane. It's a shame more people won't hear it- a song like Toy Boy (I'm sure the UK has had plenty of offbeat number ones) or Lady Jane might have won Mika fans a bit of respect.

Aren't you coming to SAddlers Wells Marilyn?

No, I'm afraid we can't make it that week boo hoo. But I have managed to order the EP from Mikasounds, so I have that to look forward to.

I also wish that more people could hear Mika's songs from the EP. That is the only problem with it being so selective. But I do so admire him for not always going down the comercial road. As I said befoire, he is unique!

My thoughts?

First, the "regular" fans, the "meh" fans -the ones who bought the vast majority of LICM's five million copies sold - are not going to "get" a lot of this album. In fact, I think even a lot of MFCers aren't going to fully embrace it like we have LICM.

As for the wider audience, the unwashed masses want Grace Kelly and Love Today. They want hyperactive, happy, radio-friendly bubblegum pop. They do not want Lady Jane and Lonely Alcoholic.

For regular fans who loved Grace Kelly, this EP is going to be out of left field. Think about it. If you only casually followed Mika's career, you'd be shocked that the guy behind the LICM hits is now singing songs like these.

That said, I think this EP is Mika's sandbox. He got this idea for "Songs for Sorrow" and created these little stories. This isn't a commercial foray. Mika doesn't expect to sell five million copies of this EP. Especially when you consider songs like Lady Jane. That's not a pop song. That's never going to see radio play. The only one of these that has any chance whatsoever at radio play is Blue Eyes, and that even depends on what the actual EP version sounds like. In fact, against the other three, Blue Eyes is the one that doesn't quite fit.

Then you've got the whole artwork thing. That again is totally self-indulgent play; this whole project is Mika playing around and spraying his brilliant, quirky artistic mind all over in the form of four whimsical songs and some star-studded artwork. He has all these amazing, colourful, wacky ideas, and this album affords him a platform to share these ideas with his fans without the pressures associated from the commercial expectations for the actual second album.

This all might sound quite critical - I don't mean it to be. I think it's a great project, and I can't wait to get my hot little hands on a copy of that EP/book. I think it shows how multi-faceted Mika is, and that excites me.

As for the music, I'm on the I-think-it's-brilliant bandwagon. I'm quite biased, though, because I'm enamored with the tone of Mika's voice. Pretty much the only thing he could do to turn me off as a fan would be to mess with that tone; use a ton of synth distortion on the vocals, or switch to screaming death metal.

I interpret Lady Jane to be a total fable, a "dark fairy tale" as Mika likes to say. Maybe it is a satire directed at some other work I'm not familiar with; I'm not sure. I can't wait to see the artwork that comes with it. I love the way it ebbs and flows, musically. The "I order you to get that fish's head on my plate" line is this crazy intense crescendo. Then "They killed little lady Jane" is so mellow.

Lonely Alcoholic is interesting. I see it as more social commentary than the whimsy of Toy Boy and Lady Jane. I love the fact that it's mostly in his lower register, which contrasts so well with the falsetto of Lady Jane. The last minute of this song is so damn rich. Amazing for something so raw and acoustic. And I can't help but wonder about this line: "Well they say that I am doing my duty to the world; well you could say that that is onerous, I'm just craving to be heard." I would go so far as to say that line epitomizes the whole purpose behind this EP.

As for Blue Eyes and Toy Boy - both were out of this world live. And given that I was there at the Roxy, I'll always have a serious soft spot for those specific performances. So as for the EP recordings, well, we'll see when it's released.

Two final things: I can't wait to hear these songs performed live. I so hope he does Lady Jane and Lonely Alcoholic on this tour. Seeing his expression while singing makes all the difference. And secondly, I can't wait to see the credits in the liner notes. I'm curious if any of these were solely his efforts, or who the co-writers were.

Oh - and seriously. We thought he should write a musical before? This just seals the deal!! :naughty:

I loved reading that! :wub2:

I'm also curious to see if fans will 'get' this. In my opinion if certain

unmentionables weren't your thing, this is probably also not your thing.:naughty: I think this will determine which fans want the happy poppy Mika all the time and the ones that like the dark side. It's interesting to see how it works out.

I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I really do. I loved the songs we aren't allowed to discuss, so this is just like released versions!

I find it funny how most people seem to prefer Lonely Alcoholic to Lady Jane. I like both but Lady Jane is so good. His voice at the end "looking for Lady jane" is just spine tingling:teehee: I really love it.:wub2: If a song can make you cry, it's a good thing. :wub2:

I'd love if he'd sing Instant Martyr live. It reminds me a bit of these, and it's sad that it's just a B side..

Can't wait for Toy Boy as well and the art that goes with the songs.

Exciting!:aah:

Edited by tauruslady

oh.my.god. i just heard Lonely Alcoholic and i must say, i was shocked. i haven't really been into Mika lately. more queen. but i love it!!!!!

just listening to Lady Jane.

oh.my.god. i just heard Lonely Alcoholic and i must say, i was shocked. i haven't really been into Mika lately. more queen. but i love it!!!!!

just listening to Lady Jane.

I wonder what that is supposed to mean.. Mika - old news now as opposed to Queen?

:blink:

:mf_rosetinted: And I still think he is missing a trick by not recording some of the other demo songs we have heard (one in particular).

Think I know which one you mean:naughty:

i find that Lonely Alcoholic reminds me of "beauty school drop out" from grease!

LOL! That's exactly what I've been saying to my mom this afternoon!:roftl:It really reminds me of that too.

My thoughts?

First, the "regular" fans, the "meh" fans -the ones who bought the vast majority of LICM's five million copies sold - are not going to "get" a lot of this album. In fact, I think even a lot of MFCers aren't going to fully embrace it like we have LICM.

As for the wider audience, the unwashed masses want Grace Kelly and Love Today. They want hyperactive, happy, radio-friendly bubblegum pop. They do not want Lady Jane and Lonely Alcoholic.

For regular fans who loved Grace Kelly, this EP is going to be out of left field. Think about it. If you only casually followed Mika's career, you'd be shocked that the guy behind the LICM hits is now singing songs like these.

That said, I think this EP is Mika's sandbox. He got this idea for "Songs for Sorrow" and created these little stories. This isn't a commercial foray. Mika doesn't expect to sell five million copies of this EP. Especially when you consider songs like Lady Jane. That's not a pop song. That's never going to see radio play. The only one of these that has any chance whatsoever at radio play is Blue Eyes, and that even depends on what the actual EP version sounds like. In fact, against the other three, Blue Eyes is the one that doesn't quite fit.

Then you've got the whole artwork thing. That again is totally self-indulgent play; this whole project is Mika playing around and spraying his brilliant, quirky artistic mind all over in the form of four whimsical songs and some star-studded artwork. He has all these amazing, colourful, wacky ideas, and this album affords him a platform to share these ideas with his fans without the pressures associated from the commercial expectations for the actual second album.

It's actually this side of Mika that made me appreciate him so much more! He is so much more than a regular pop singer. I also love his colourful artwork. When I first discovered he did the artwork himself I was amazed :)

The wider audience might not "get" this but he gained me as a fan :thumb_yello:

I'm going to buy this EP for sure.

I have only heard Lonely Alcoholic and Lady Jane so far. I've listened to them three or four times. Maybe I need to listen more.

I don't like them much. If I had to choose one, it would be LA. I like the tunes, but the words, especially LJ are so cheesy and off beat, they mean nothing to me.

I don't like Mika's voice in these songs either, it sounds very manufactured and what Christine calls Broadway cheese.

This isn't the Mika whose music I fell in love with. When I first heard LICM previewed, I loved every track instantly and that hasn't changed over time.

I know everyone is saying he's showing another side of himself etc etc, I think this must be the side I don't care to see.

Roll on the album.

Edited by babspanky

I have only heard Lonely Alcoholic and Lady Jane so far. I've listened to them three or four times. Maybe I need to listen more.

I don't like them much. If I had to choose one, it would be LA. I like the tunes, but the words, especially LJ and so cheesy and off beat, they mean nothing to me.

I don't like Mika's voice in these songs either, it sounds very manufacutured and what Christine calls Broadway cheese.

This isn't the Mika whose music I fell in love with. When I first heard LICM previewed, I loved every track instantly and that hasn't changed over time.

I know everyone is saying he's showing another side of himself etc etc, I think this must be the side I don't care to see.

Roll on the album.

& another 1 bites the dust ! now for some more non ass-suckers pleaseeeeeeee :teehee:

I think kinda the same about it as you Babs.

Though I prefer LJ over LA I think. But still, something in LJ is bothering me. And I can't figure out what exactly..maybe I just need to listen to it more, or maybe I just need to hear it live, to be convinced.

I'm not quite sure yet.

I think kinda the same about it as you Babs.

Though I prefer LJ over LA I think. But still, something in LJ is bothering me. And I can't figure out what exactly..maybe I just need to listen to it more, or maybe I just need to hear it live, to be convinced.

I'm not quite sure yet.

Maybe the lyrics of LA mean a bit more to me. Although I hardly drink and am rarely lonely. :boxed: I suppose for alcoholic you could substitute any addiction?

Maybe the lyrics of LA mean a bit more to me. Although I hardly drink and am rarely lonely. :boxed: I suppose for alcoholic you could substitute any addiction?

You're a crazy old cat lady with a tendency to whine :mf_rosetinted: