Blame It On The Girls Video

racinghorse83

Mika I need to explain something to you - YOU ARE HOT.

You are exceptionally good looking to start with but due to your bone structure and eyes that only baby animals and anime characters normally possess you are freakishly photogenic and often appear as one of the most beautiful people in the world.

So why oh why do you go out of your way to make yourself look as unhot as possible in these videos? :aah:

That is the ONLY purpose of a music video. If people were only attracted to pop stars based on their music and didn't want to see how good you look they wouldn't have invented MTV and you wouldn't be making these videos in the first place.

Covering up your hair and shading your eyes with a hideous pink bowler hat is a crime against humanity. Where are all the close ups like we had on Jools Holland where we could see your warmth, your flirtatiousness and your PERSONALITY??

Okay with that out of the way let's get to the rest of this video...

The girls...cliche, cheesy, overdone, yadda, yadda, I think we can all see that. I could have lived with it if it was a better overall video. It is what it is.

My biggest problem is the lack of energy created by a lack of movement. Even when Mika is actually moving instead of lying on a couch (:aah:) there is no video movement. The scenes are not changing, the camera is not panning. In WAG those quick scene changes built up the momentum of the song, here the lack of it is dragging it down and just makes the whole thing look unpolished. The only time they get this right is at 1:32 and 2:10 which is ironically where I think people are complaining about him going in and out of frame.

I do like the very opening where he's talking and then the idea of the screens behind is brilliant, but the movement of his cane to emphasize the piano should have been punctuated with some scene changes of the "live" Mika to give it some more energy. Especially when he looks so awkward moving around in the chair before he gets up. :aah:

Okay I guess that's enough of a rant for now. Maybe one day I'll be able to watch it without wanting to jump into the screen and change everything and re-edit the whole thing afterwards. :teehee:

:shocked: wow Christine! i think you watched this video more then once already :naughty:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally want the bowler hat. Have checked loads of sites but haven't found anything...

ME TOO! Darn, have you tried all the ebays? I'm gonna go hunting now too, I'll let you know if I find anything!

I'm just going to do it this way, is easier :teehee:

Mika I need to explain something to you - YOU ARE HOT.

So why oh why do you go out of your way to make yourself look as unhot as possible in these videos? :aah:

Covering up your hair and shading your eyes with a hideous pink bowler hat is a crime against humanity.

Eaxctly! Where are those lovely curls! I like hats yes, but not this pink thing!

My biggest problem is the lack of energy created by a lack of movement.

Yup, biotg is an upbeat song, it just doesn't fit imo.. Do you know that the first time I watched it, I even paused it halfway because I was so disappointed and I had to complain to another fan :aah:

The only time they get this right is at 1:32 and 2:10 which is ironically where I think people are complaining about him going in and out of frame.

The piano bit and 2.10-2.20 are my favorite bits....

Especially when he looks so awkward moving around in the chair before he gets up. :aah:

Finally someone says it, I didn't dare to...:teehee: There's this one pose .. at 0.39 apparently, which is soooo awkward to watch. The entire chair scene feels awkward to me. What I complained about to that other fan was how uneasy he looked whilst doing those routines. Not only the beginning! In the ending too! 3.09-3.20 have to be the most awkward seconds in a mika video ever. Compare that to how he was dancing in WAG! What a difference...

Seriously, I don't want to complain or anything, it is what it is.. I think I just expected something totally different :teehee:

3.09-3.20 have to be the most awkward seconds in a mika video ever. Compare that to how he was dancing in WAG! What a difference...

These things are all down to editing. Mika looks like he's "dancing" better in Love Today and WAG but when you watch closely you can't see any continuous dance moves at all. It's all an illusion created by editing.

I think actually his dancing is better here than it was back in the day but no one except Beyonce or Shakira is going to be able to get away with these fully body shots that drag on forever without a scene change.

Seriously, I don't want to complain or anything, it is what it is.. I think I just expected something totally different :teehee:

I can't help but complain because I just don't understand why you'd want to go to so much trouble to make a video and promote a song and then completely botch it with a bad wardrobe choice and some poor editing. The concept and the props and everything else are entirely beside the point.

BIOTG vid.

I actually quite like it! Actually, I like it a lot. :D His outfit sort of reminds me of that of what Johnny Depp wore in Benny & Joon.

My mom also like this. She says, "now this is the Mika I like". Maybe she got creeped out when she saw him in his underwear. :teehee:

I'm just going to do it this way, is easier :teehee:

Ditto!

And im not so crazy about the pink in the vid... not a big fan of that color :teehee:

I love the beginning with the chair and the sidewalls. And damn he looks hot on those walls :naughty:

These things are all down to editing. Mika looks like he's "dancing" better in Love Today and WAG but when you watch closely you can't see any continuous dance moves at all. It's all an illusion created by editing.

I think actually his dancing is better here than it was back in the day but no one except Beyonce or Shakira is going to be able to get away with these fully body shots that drag on forever without a scene change.

I can't help but complain because I just don't understand why you'd want to go to so much trouble to make a video and promote a song and then completely botch it with a bad wardrobe choice and some poor editing. The concept and the props and everything else are entirely beside the point.

The wardrobe is quite awful isn't it :aah:

Yup, I guess you're right, editing probably is the reason why the 'dancing routines' look so weird. You know what, I think with some nice special effects the video wouldn't even be that bad! I mean, imagine some cartoon like effects as used in lollipop or relax e.g. combined with this video. Just to make the long shots more interesting. I seriously think this vid needs special effects.

I actually quite like it! Actually, I like it a lot. :D His outfit sort of reminds me of that of what Johnny Depp wore in Benny & Joon.

My mom also like this. She says, "now this is the Mika I like". Maybe she got creeped out when she saw him in his underwear. :teehee:

Yup, benny & joon was my first thought as well.

b.) *after the video comes out* discuss what we think of the video and pull it to pieces / incessantly fangurl over it

Nooo.. that is not going to happen here is it? Hee hee...

Hmmmm....Ok, what should I say....I don't want to sound too harsh but I just don't like it.

And it's not that I just think that I personally don't like it: I think that it's very poor. It looks cheap and slack, like one of those tacky 80's videos where they had no effects or...I don't know, I don't really know how to express it, but I just find it really bad.

I know that some people said that they don't like the pink in it, but to me that's one of the few things that are nice in the video :naughty:. I just don't understand why he goes out of his way to always appear so 'dorky' when he is indeed so nice looking, and when you see him offstage he always looks really nicely dressed, and he looks so hot. But then in his stage/video persona he looks so weird :boxed:.

Also, that 'area' where he is just looks like one giant school gym, and as if they made the video using no budget and just really basic and cheap props. I'm not saying that he should spend tons on a video, but that if you're going to make something that looks so cheap maybe it's best to just film yourself performing (like what we saw in Jools, him at the piano and then singing/dancing) and forget about the "story".

This video to me is a HUGE step back from WAG (which was brilliant), and he's gone back to the days of Big Girl/Love Today which I found to be very poor and just bad.

It's a bit what Christine said: Mika is good looking, photogenic, charismatic.....Why does he have to make himself look so ackward? This video IMO looks like a school production where he is not very flattered, you can't really see him sing either, his moves a bit cringeworthy and yet there is no "Mika charm" and warmth to set them off and make them :wub2: able, which is the real downfall of this video.

:shocked: Disappointed. I just get annoyed because WE know how amazing he is, yet it's like he always manages to somehow miss the chances for the other people (who are not fans) to discover his talent and amazingness.

Amazing video:wub2:

He look so young.

My thoughts exactly! Reminds me of all those 'Cabaret' pictures.

I think, for Mika, the dancing was great! If any of us saw him on GMA... well, this was a lot better. :teehee: I agree that the editing was not very good at all, but :dunno:

Mika was attractive. :original:

Thank you so much for posting, babs!

His beginning little dance solo freaked me out a little bit because I thought the whole video was going to be like that. :naughty: But I LOVE it!! He's right, he remembered to wear CLOTHES this time!! Beautiful, beautiful clothes! Is the boy sitting on the column thing next to the piano who I think it is?

I don't think he looks one bit dorky in this video. At least much less than in WAG, which gave even me a lot of WTF. Let alone to a lot of people who just came across it randomly, having no idea about what was his intention behind it and what message he wanted to communicate. Knowing about it, it makes a bit of sense. But having him jump around there in those awfully awful underpants makes me cringe. Regardless of the director's efforts. So, now it's out. :teehee:

As for the cheapness in MIKA videos, I really don't think anything can ever top the Big Girl video.

ok... looked at it again... 3 times :naughty: and once the happiness/excitement goes away, i think christine & sara have good points.

it's obvious that he didn't put as much effort in this video compared to WAG. it's looks like it was "put together" on the spot. his chair at the beginning looks way to low for him to move comfortably. i wonder if there was a choreographer / video coordinator for this one. :teehee: i keep thinking that someone should break into a tapdance, but nobody does. :dunno:

but what is on his hand? it's pink, but is it a glove?

but mika is still cute and that smile still gets to me :fangurl:

his movements don't bother me as much as the girls... they could have added so much more to this video.

will this video bring attention to the song? probably not and that's a shame.

someone mentioned that he messed up the lyrics during the video... where?

Can I add/clarify something? :naughty: When I say cheap I also mean that the videos look rough, unfinished, unpolished, like they are a basic demo of what "could have been" :teehee:

Yes idd, it look like this is the basic video, and the special effects still need to be added.

Btw, am I the only one that does like the dancers :aah: They add a bit of movement to the vid!!

Yes idd, it look like this is the basic video, and the special effects still need to be added.

Btw, am I the only one that does like the dancers :aah: They add a bit of movement to the vid!!

I like the dancers :naughty:

I really like this video, obviously compared to 'We Are Golden' it is very understated, but I have to say I thought it was incredibly stylish (So glad we now have Sky HD as it looks good enough to eat in High Definition)

The intro hooked me straight away, beautifully worked camera angle and I've always been a sucker for black & white changing to colour, probably goes back to my childhood and endless Christmas's watching The Wizard of Oz. The pastel colours worked well IMHO and make a nice contrast to the IN YOUR FACE colour explosion that is 'We Are Golden'

Don't like comparing it to anything else as it really is a unique piece of work but the dancers choreography reminded me very much of the Chemical Brothers video for 'Let Forever Be'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpgycHaK_8

I'm surprised how many people on here are not keen on this video but as has been said many times it would be boring if we all liked the same things, personally though....

:mf_lustslow: I Love it !! :mf_lustslow: