High notes that thrill the girls

dcdeb

(Pretty nice review of the Philadelphia show the other night... I can't tell you how the Leo Sayer,

Sparks and Elton John reference made me laugh -- they were

some of my favorites back in the day. Do any of you even know

who Leo Sayer and Sparks are? :naughty: You better know EJ!)

By A.D. Amorosi

For The Inquirer

It might not seem the job of the skinny, Beirut-born Michael Penniman - son of an American dad and Lebanese mom - to encapsulate all of British glam's past.

Yet that's exactly what he does under the name of Mika: zealously appropriate the garrulous glitter-pop first made famous by the '70s sensations Leo Sayer, Sparks, and Elton John. And he moves through them so quickly you can barely catch the influences.

Mika crafts elegantly energetic and daftly melodic pastiches, and sings each frothy song in an unwaveringly high voice - which, judging from his packed show at Electric Factory on Sunday night, absolutely thrills little girls and their moms to bits.

Ebullient to the zillionth degree and doubly theatrical, Mika started the show dressed as an astronaut before stripping down to his undies, then changing into a wildly striped suit. That came after a fake-news video with "anchorman" Sir Ian McKellen announced that a rocket had exploded and its passenger had disappeared. That there was no logic to all this mattered not.

Mika and his crack band snapped to the piano-plinking "Stuck in the Middle" and the disco-licious "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)," with corseted plus-size models dancing behind the ensemble. With barely a breath between songs, Mika followed with the finger-snapping "Dr. John," the precociously hammy "Happy Ending," and the irredeemably chipper "Blame It on the Girls," the last off his new album The Boy Who Knew Too Much.

There were staged sequences done in black light. The mood was upbeat. The songs were manically contagious, and Mika's bubbly stage presence was as elastic as his voice. Yet for all his frenetic flamboyance, the cool precision of it all made things seem rote. His perfection even seemed a bit tedious.

Not opening act Gary Go. The bespectacled geek-chic Brit with the big open voice was like a two-man Coldplay, grand, distant, yet more intimate than Chris Martin's ensemble. Go's warm, high vocals and tinkling keyboards combined with oddly dreary atmospheric sequencers to make spacey anthems out of the self-penned tracks "Heart and Soul" and "Speak," to which the kid-crowd responded with a sea of waving hands.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/magazine/20091020_High_notes_that_thrill_the_girls.html

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were plenty of men in the crowd. If it was a for a few nice ones we BG's couldn't have got back to the front of the stage to enjoy the show.

Chris and Mark? were right up front queuing up. Nice guys.

I don't fit into any of those catergories!

Well maybe kids:naughty:

I was about to say 'mothers' instead:blink: but anyway...

:teehee:

I do not fit at all, they forgot about the young adults in the show (if there were any :aah:)

Mika started the show dressed as an astronaut before stripping down to his undies

whaaaaa:shocked: he strips to his undies what like in wag? ohhh that sounds really good I think i'll buy me another ticket for a 3rd gig then lol:teehee::mf_lustslow::biggrin2::wink2::naughty:

It starts well, but then he whips round and seems to prefer Gary Go! Sounds like Mika was having a (rare) perfection day! which put him off

I thought of you when I saw "plus size MODEL" Jamie!

goodness :blush-anim-cl: Thank you. More recognition then when I was size 8 a doing some modeling. fancy that.

Since when has Mika's stage performance been 'perfection'? I'd argue that it never is. There is always a hiccup or at least one high falsetto note he doesn't quite nail, or something. I've heard Mika's show described as many things but perfection has never been one of them..until now :mf_rosetinted:

Sparks were great, I was terrified of Ron Mael as a small child though!! The eyes!! :shocked::naughty:

T4P