REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA @ Colston Hall, Bristol - MARCH 4 2010

guylainem123

Ah, those were his flowers!

Thought they were mums, as I hadn't seen her carry her's over to the car.

When I called in at the florists this morning to thank them, there was another customer in the shop just telling them she had been to the Mika show, and that she thought it had been spectacular :naughty:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the review from the Bristol Evening Post

Mika's night has happy ending

Mika is a man who has got more than a sprinkling of magic to him when it comes to great music

From the moment the spotlight hit the black fabric screen and it dramatically fell revealing a white screen of striking, huge pencil sketches until he danced around the stage to his finale song Grace Kelly (:blink:), he demanded the full attention of the crowd.

Prancing around the stage in a grey jacket complete with tails, white shirt and skinny black trousers, he put his all in to an energetic performance.

He kicked off with a strong disco feel that was captured by a vast field of glowing mobiles and flashing cameras held aloft by fans.

Lustily singing Big Girl with cartoon lips and voluptuous images of women in basques floating on the screen behind him. he skipped alongside a 20ft long inflatable woman's leg floating in the air complete with giant polka dot stilettos.

He greeted the crowd with a shout of "Welcome to my night of infinite randomness". And with that comment he summed up his entire performance.

Quirky, brightly coloured bold cartoons flanked his performance as he lay on top of a piano kicking his legs in the air.

In a show packed with energy he attacked each of his songs with a huge sense of fun.

Any Other World and Happy Ending had a bit more of a reflective feel to them with a haunting mood. But overall it was a show that was about delight, light heartedness and putting a smile on the audience's face. His sheer enthusiasm was infectious. And the visuals were excellent - from silver sparkles falling from a glittering umbrella to gold confetti being fired across the stage - it was a colourful, lively performance.

Mika has such vocal ability and creative talent it was no wonder the show was a sellout. Its vibrant feel had the crowd singing and dancing with him. His fans walked out of the door with a substantial spring in their step.

9/10

Could we get this on the News thread too Silver?

We know a good thing when we see it in this neck of the woods, we love infinate randomness!:wink2:

When I called in at the florists this morning to thank them, there was another customer in the shop just telling them she had been to the Mika show, and that she thought it had been spectacular :naughty:

We do have a lot of love for him over this end of the country, I'm glad he knows that now:thumb_yello:

Could we get this on the News thread too Silver?

We know a good thing when we see it in this neck of the woods, we love infinate randomness!:wink2:

Anything for you, Rose :naughty:

Just got home. Need sleep before I can do any proper reporting, was an amazing night, though I can't hear out of my left ear. Got loads of eye contact and all that kind of sh*t that makes me go fangurly.

Don't worry Rose, I wasn't offended when he insulted my artistry, it just meant that I got more attention from him and I'll never complain about that, hahaha. Still, at least I don't get his attention by being nasty or hypocritical, so that's all right.

I'll upload pics a bit later, was a fab end to the tour, thanks to everyone who's made these last 2 1/2 weeks so much fun. I've loved every second. Back to real life now though, sigh.

I definitely did not get an email from one of my writing lecturers today telling me he was concerned about my absence.

Just got home. Need sleep before I can do any proper reporting, was an amazing night, though I can't hear out of my left ear. Got loads of eye contact and all that kind of sh*t that makes me go fangurly.

Don't worry Rose, I wasn't offended when he insulted my artistry, it just meant that I got more attention from him and I'll never complain about that, hahaha. Still, at least I don't get his attention by being nasty or hypocritical, so that's all right.

I'll upload pics a bit later, was a fab end to the tour, thanks to everyone who's made these last 2 1/2 weeks so much fun. I've loved every second. Back to real life now though, sigh.

I definitely did not get an email from one of my writing lecturers today telling me he was concerned about my absence.

It was great to have you, Laurel, Silver and the Northern Posse down here:wub2:

I had a great time with you guys over the last couple of weeks, and I hope I made you all welcome yesterday:wink2:

Guess you have a lot of making up to do in the next couple of weeks, to your lecturer :naughty:

Not doing a report yet ... but just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me at the end of the show ... I had a problem with my eyes and couldn't see **** all when the house lights came up .... so was a tad panicky ... so was abit distressing ... Mika gig was amazing ... well what I could see ... my eyes were streaming so much during it I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted too :( Been to the doctors now and have ointment so hopefully it'll clear up - but again ... thanks :huglove::huglove::flowers2::flowers2:

Not doing a report yet ... but just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me at the end of the show ... I had a problem with my eyes and couldn't see **** all when the house lights came up .... so was a tad panicky ... so was abit distressing ... Mika gig was amazing ... well what I could see ... my eyes were streaming so much during it I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted too :( Been to the doctors now and have ointment so hopefully it'll clear up - but again ... thanks :huglove: :huglove: :flowers2: :flowers2:

What was it in the end?

Was a bit worried, when you wandered off after the signing, Jazzy tried to call you but your phone was off, we looked around but couldn't find you!:shocked:

Was relieved when I saw Jazzys tweet saying you were at breakfast.

Not doing a report yet ... but just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who helped me at the end of the show ... I had a problem with my eyes and couldn't see **** all when the house lights came up .... so was a tad panicky ... so was abit distressing ... Mika gig was amazing ... well what I could see ... my eyes were streaming so much during it I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted too :( Been to the doctors now and have ointment so hopefully it'll clear up - but again ... thanks :huglove::huglove::flowers2::flowers2:

Good, glad it wasn't too serious. :thumb_yello: But it's always worth checking out, if you don't have your health, you have nothing much.

What was it in the end?

Was a bit worried, when you wandered off after the signing, Jazzy tried to call you but your phone was off, we looked around but couldn't find you!:shocked:

I'm not sure ... he didn't say ..... was a stand in doctor and too be honest I was the last person he was seeing so he couldn't get rid of me quick enough and didn't speak very good english :shocked: He's given me an eye infection cream though ... so hope that works ... they're still blurry quite abit ... not as bad as last night ... but when I woke up this morning ... I couldn't open them for 10 mins as they were stuck closed ... that was a tad freaky ... Sorry I left ... they were getting really bad again ... and I didn't want to bother anyone as knew you were waiting for the band etc ... and as I had my own room went off to see if I could go to A&E but then saw a taxi ... so went there instead as I just wanted to sleep .... my phone battery died ... along with my camera battery - so sorry you couldn't get hold of me ... have no idea what's caused this ... I was fine when I got to Bristol .... never happened to me before ... don't want it again either :aah:

That was without question THE best night of my life. (I'm only 15, don't have much else that even comes close yet)

Wasn't as close as I would have liked. But was about 4th/5th row on the right, V close to a speaker! Annoyed that I didn't get to meet any MFCers! But we didn't get there till 6:45ish, got a tad lost on the way into Bristol

I was singing and dancing to Erik Hassle, looking around though, it seemed like I was the only person who bothered to listen to any of his stuff beforehand :sneaky2:

Was wearing my glowstick necklace, so glad I did! Made me stand out, Mika looked right at me a few times :biggrin2:

Night of Infinite Randomness. Need I say more? It was mental! <3 his little dance to Blue Eyes. I See You live was breathtaking, I love Mika even more now, if thats even possible!

Seeing him so close, made him seem human. B'mouth in 2007, I was miles away from the stage, couldn't see him much. :tears:

Got dad to buy me merch, cos he didn't go to the gig, got WAG keyring, Card Holder and he bought me a TBWKTM poster :biggrin2: I only asked for the first 2 :biggrin2:

So yeah Best Night Of My Life.

I LOVE YOU MIKA!!!!!

I'm not sure ... he didn't say ..... was a stand in doctor and too be honest I was the last person he was seeing so he couldn't get rid of me quick enough and didn't speak very good english :shocked: He's given me an eye infection cream though ... so hope that works ... they're still blurry quite abit ... not as bad as last night ... but when I woke up this morning ... I couldn't open them for 10 mins as they were stuck closed ... that was a tad freaky ... Sorry I left ... they were getting really bad again ... and I didn't want to bother anyone as knew you were waiting for the band etc ... and as I had my own room went off to see if I could go to A&E but then saw a taxi ... so went there instead as I just wanted to sleep .... my phone battery died ... along with my camera battery - so sorry you couldn't get hold of me ... have no idea what's caused this ... I was fine when I got to Bristol .... never happened to me before ... don't want it again either :aah:

Well, I'm glad you are ok then, I was quite worried last night when you mentioned the double vision and you were stubbornly refusing to see the ambulance people :sneaky2::naughty:

Well, I'm glad you are ok then, I was quite worried last night when you mentioned the double vision and you were stubbornly refusing to see the ambulance people :sneaky2::naughty:

I don't like hospitals ... or medical people ... lol ... I try to avoid them at all costs ... I thought I'd be ok ... and didn't want to bother anyone ... or make a fuss ... I thought If I headed to the toilets and bathed them It'd be ok ... I've never had a problem with my eyes before ... they're infected ... I have ointment now .... :aah:

It was pretty odd, that's why I wondered if it was conjunctivis coming on.

I'd go and see your GP if it carries on over the weekend:thumb_yello:

You know, Jazzy, I really wish that you hadn't said that.

It's hard to know what you mean by it, but it's nevertheless a dig at something or someone, and I can't help but feel that I have an inkling of what you are trying to say.

However, as it's such a passive-agressive type comment and you're not being upfront and straight forward, it's not possible to respond to, so I would kindly like to request that you either:

a-clarify and be direct, so that whoever you are addressing can respond adequately, or

b-just don't say anything.

In my books, this sort of 'general bad vibey' comment just constitutes sh!t stirring and gets us nowhere :pinkbow:.

Anyway, I will now write my report of the Bristol gig. Coming up :naughty:

Well, I don't really know what to say :teehee:

I will agree that last night was the best night of my life. Lovely that I finally met some of you :biggrin2: And, after nearly 3 years I have at last met him :wub2:

It's been a long day at school for me today so that's why I've only just arrived, especially since I got home at about 4 this morning, and waking up for school is hard enough normally.

Last night was the most amazing gig I could have imagined. I was panicing when we only got into the queu untill 6.45, but we were still pretty close to the front. Every song was amazing, and I think I may have possibly started crying during Any Other World, But there's nothing wrong with that :mf_rosetinted:

Gah! My videos wont upload to my computer properly :sneaky2: They look pretty good on my camera but I'll need to find out what's going wrong before I can put them on youtube. Im looking through my pictures too so I may upload some of those somewhere if I can find any good ones :naughty:

That was without question THE best night of my life. (I'm only 15, don't have much else that even comes close yet)

Wasn't as close as I would have liked. But was about 4th/5th row on the right, V close to a speaker! Annoyed that I didn't get to meet any MFCers! But we didn't get there till 6:45ish, got a tad lost on the way into Bristol

I was singing and dancing to Erik Hassle, looking around though, it seemed like I was the only person who bothered to listen to any of his stuff beforehand :sneaky2:

Was wearing my glowstick necklace, so glad I did! Made me stand out, Mika looked right at me a few times :biggrin2:

Night of Infinite Randomness. Need I say more? It was mental! <3 his little dance to Blue Eyes. I See You live was breathtaking, I love Mika even more now, if thats even possible!

Seeing him so close, made him seem human. B'mouth in 2007, I was miles away from the stage, couldn't see him much. :tears:

Got dad to buy me merch, cos he didn't go to the gig, got WAG keyring, Card Holder and he bought me a TBWKTM poster :biggrin2: I only asked for the first 2 :biggrin2:

So yeah Best Night Of My Life.

I LOVE YOU MIKA!!!!!

Glad it was such a good night for you. I thought the whole gig had such a great atmosphere :naughty:

Well done again Silver for ordering the flowers for Mrs P and family .... Yasmine was over the moon when she spoke to us and said this was so nice and the first time anyone had done this for them :biggrin2: They have been really sweet this tour and we have had so much interaction with them cause of the stage performances ....so yay!

It was great to have you, Laurel, Silver and the Northern Posse down here:wub2:

I had a great time with you guys over the last couple of weeks, and I hope I made you all welcome yesterday:wink2:

Guess you have a lot of making up to do in the next couple of weeks, to your lecturer :naughty:

You made us all very welcome Rose, it was a fab night!

Yeah, though I'm ditching again on the first week back after Easter for Milan. Whooops!!

Ah I'm glad you've been to the doctors. Fingers crossed it turns out ok.

What was it in the end?

Gah, sorry, I should have text you when we got back. Vicky text Silver I think but we forgot to tell you. Sorry!

You know, Jazzy, I really wish that you hadn't said that.

It's hard to know what you mean by it, but it's nevertheless a dig at something or someone, and I can't help but feel that I have an inkling of what you are trying to say.

However, as it's such a passive-agressive type comment and you're not being upfront and straight forward, it's not possible to respond to, so I would kindly like to request that you either:

a-clarify and be direct, so that whoever you are addressing can respond adequately, or

b-just don't say anything.

In my books, this sort of 'general bad vibey' comment just constitutes sh!t stirring and gets us nowhere :pinkbow:.

Anyway, I will now write my report of the Bristol gig. Coming up :naughty:

To be honest, some people on this tour have been giving off more bad vibes than that. I'm not going to say anything more on it, but I think it's a shame when negativity is brought to such a great night and people start crying and stamping their feet over things. There are lots of people that do it and they make other people feel awkward which isn't nice.

If you felt it was a jibe at you, then think again. It wasn't. There are tonnes of people around, and tonnes of people piss me off when they try to throw their weight around and get nasty when they don't get their own way. I think some people need to grow up and get some manners, but hey ho, there we are.

EDIT: Just realised, it's not about your Toy Boy banter or any of that, if that's what you were getting at. It's about people that forget that while he's human, he's also a brand, and they fail to differentiate between the two and turn on him as soon as something goes wrong and take out all their misery on him. That's what I REALLY hate. People who think he CARES if they're upset with him. LOL. Fools.

Well done again Silver for ordering the flowers for Mrs P and family .... Yasmine was over the moon when she spoke to us and said this was so nice and the first time anyone had done this for them:biggrin2:They have been really sweet this tour and we have had so much interaction with them cause of the stage performances ....so yay!

I heard earlier and that really is a lovely gesture :wub2: , things like that make MFC and give us such a nice name :wub2:

Nice one Silver

:biggrin2:

I'm back and almost capable of writing my report (well, as capable as I'll ever be, so here goes..............

I won't bore you all with the details of our drive there, but it follow my usual pattern of getting lost during the rush hour and driving around in circles looking for the venue.

We finally got into the Colston Hall at about 5.45pm and the queue wasn't too bad, but it was frustrating not being able to say hello to all the MFC members at the front because the queue has separate parts due to the stairs. We spotted Rose immediately and waved up to her, I could just about see Babs and Laurel, but there didn't seem to be any MFC near us. The couple behind us in the queue had been to see Lady Gaga the night before, so they must have had an amazing 2 days.

When we got in we ran to the front and got second row, but I stood behind Rose and Vicky and they very kindly let Alice (aged 9) in between them. (Thank you both:wub2:, it was hugely appreciated). I thought that Eric Hassle was quite good, but I never really enjoy a support act much to be honest because I'm too impatient to see the man himself.

During the interval a lovely security bloke asked Alice if she'd like to be lifted over the barrier to get a better view! She bravely went over, where the rest of us could only dream of being and sat on the little bench the other side of the barrier. Then two other small girls about her age were lifted over too.

Up until this point the audience had been very subdued. Normally the atmosphere would be buzzing and we were worried that it was going to be a let down for Mika. I think that it was partly due to the fact that there was a very large seated area.

When he came on stage everything changed and suddenly it felt right. It was such a relief to hear the people at back enjoying it and making themselves heard.

I'm not sure which bit of the show I enjoyed the most. I loved Any Other World (mega swoon!), the sexy little Blue Eye dance he does and the drumming at the start of Lollipop, but I think that what really stood out for me was the way that he was relaxed and playful between songs. He messed around a lot being silly and giggly and making little jokes. When he was talking about having drunk too much Coca Cola he pointed directly at Alice and said “you know all about that”. I don't know if it was a reference to the fact that she was jumping and dancing like a mad thing or because I had to take her out to the toilet at one point!

I don't think I was imagining it (because Vicky mentioned it afterwards) but I swear that he was going all out for maximum eye contact whilst on stage. It was most disconcerting for and oldling like me who doesn't get out much!

At the end, the lovely security man gave Alice one of the giant balloons, which we managed to home without popping.

Finally, we went out the back of the venue and met up with other MFC (So glad to hear that it's only an eye infection Laurel!) and didn't have to wait too long to see Mika. I managed a quick hello and echoed Mikesbestfriends plea for him to visit Wales. I didn't dare ask for a photo because I don't want to impose and I always feel sorry that he feels obliged to spend time with us all afterwards. One day I might dare to ask!

The whole evening was absolutely brilliant and Alice and I drove back to Wales absolutely shattered but on a huge Mika high. :biggrin2:

Archived