REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA @ Colston Hall, Bristol - MARCH 4 2010

guylainem123

Ok, so my report from Bristol....I'll try and cover things that haven't been commented on yet. The queuing was a pleasure, as some have already said, and it went by quite quickly. The gig hall w as small and had a bit of an "old style" vibe in a way, it was weird. Not like an old theatre, but something similar in any case.

I loved Erik, and I can honestly say that I'm a big fan of his now. I will definitely go to his own gigs, as we told him after the show :naughty:, as he's fantastic.

Mika was also in great spirits last night, and put on a great show. I really like his shows when he's so relaxed and in a good mood, because he just lets himself be silly and say whatever comes to his mind, which is always welcome :lmfao: so he didn't disappoint last night. I didn't quite understand why he said that people had told him to speak less?? If anything, I personally think that he should speak more during gigs and be more spontaneous so I don't quite get it.

Anyway, he was fantastic last night. I couldn't pick one song to say that it was his best of the night, because he did them all really well. His singing seems to be getting better and better, and I'm wondering if he's doing any special exercises or vocal training which he didn't do in his previous tours, because he seems to be coping so well with the touring ,and not losing his voice like he did in past tours sometimes, where he started "forcing" his voice and at later gigs you could hear that he wasn't at his best. This time he's managed to not only have his voice intact by the end of it, but also it seems to get better! I's very good.

I also wonder how I can see him perform the same songs over and over and not get tired of them. Even old ones which I was a bit tired of, like Lollipop, suddenly feel nicer again, how strange is that???

One criticism that I do have though, is that he's singing old songs and leaving new ones out. I'm not saying that he should stop singing old songs, far from it, in fact I would like him to do a long show with ALL his songs, but if he has to choose, I'd much rather hear all the new ones than only a few.

I really don't understand his reasoning when he leaves songs like One Foot Boy, By the Time and Pick Up Off The Floor out of the setlist :sneaky2:. I'm lucky that I have heard him sing them live, but still, I would rather hear those now than older ones, if he really really must choose. Otherwise, all of them please Mika :naughty:.

Touches You is one that I particularly enjoy right now, and so is Blue Eyes. He's incorporated all these nice little moves into Blue Eyes and I just love the end result. Touches You makes me go mad, and I also really like I See You........ok, I like them all, but you know what I mean, my favourites. Oh ,and the cute little dance at the end of Good Gone Girl with Imma, that is just sooo lovely, I really really enjoy watching that. I love watching Imma in general, she brings SO much greatness to the show, but in that song it's just really cute how they do their little dance.

At the end, when they hold onto eachother's waists and turn around, they remind me of those dolls that one can find on old music boxes. Maybe that is the idea? I don't know, but I love it.

Oh, and speaking of Imma, last night I really noticed her backing during Happy Ending, as it seemes a lot stronger than usual, and I really liked it as well. It was very powerful.

Loved his little chats (MikaMad, I have the whole ToyBoy chat on video including a nice closeup of when he spoke to your daughter, I will put them up asap) and especially I found it hilarious when he put the ToyBoy puppet on Jimmy's shoulder, ahhaha. So funny. The boy dressed in BG outfit at the end was another highlight.

After the gig we were hanging around there and after I went to the toilet I found that Bab and co had gotten chatting to PapaP so I joined them and we were there for quite a while and had a really nice chat with him about the gigs, and all sorts of bits and bobs. He always seems so proud of his son, and is so smiley and happy, that it's an absolute delight to speak to him.

He told us that he had seats at Hammersmith the other night but he really didn't like the vibe from the balcony and he much prefers the ground floor, hahah. That was funny.

When we were on the Hammersmith topic I mentioned that I was the lats BG who got pulled out and he found it hilarious, said that he had been laughing hard when it happened, but told me that I had done great, and that in fact he had read my report about it on MFC that morning (he apologised for reading it late, LOL) and that he thought I sounded very apologetic in my report about doing the right thing on stage and not upsetting Mika, but that I had done great so there was no need for that. It was pretty surreal and funny to hear this from him though, because he called MFC "your forum". So funny.

If you're reading this again PapaP, "hello" , and it was lovely chatting :roftl:. He basically said though that I needen't worry about doing the wrong thing, because there wasn't such a thing as doing anything wrong on the stage as long as I was doing something and having fun, so hey, it was nice to hear.

Then someone mentioned something about nationalities (I think that he mentioned that we were like the United Nations, and at one point Bab said that her and Olga could not communicate, so he kept speaking to Olga in French and translating to Bab in English, hilarious) so then Bab told him that I was spanish, and he turned to me and went: "ah, you're sariflor!". And I was like wtf :lmfao: We were all floored at this point, because it was too funny for words. I said that he seemed to know a lot about us, and asked him if he knew a Portuguese lady who does really funny captions, called Willywonka, and he said "oh, yes!". Hilarious.

At this point we must have been chatting for easily half an hour, and we didn't realise that the whole place had emptied out, and suddenly I saw Mika come out of a door and see us, and do a double take, and go back into the door that he had come out from. We were all still standing upstairs just outside the door where the entrance to the venue was, so it was inside and quite isolated. He must have thought that there was nobody left in there and when he saw us, and chatting to his dad too, he must have freaked out. Some guy from the venue came then, and asked PapaP for his name.

PP wasn't keen on giving it, so he kept trying not to reply, just saying his name was Michael, and the guy was getting more and more distressed, saying that he needed his last name, and in the end he said that he needed it because "someone from backstage" wanted him to go with him, if he was who he thought he was or something like that. PP wasn't having any of it though, as he replied to the guy when he asked him to go with him: "do I have to??" :roftl:.

Anyway, he was told that he should, so off he went, after shaking our hands and saying how it had been a pleasure, etc.. What a lovely, lovely, genuine man, I really liked him intensely.

I'd chatted to him before, but never for this long, and I am really impressed at how nice he is. Lovely man.

We then made our way out , joined the queue of people waiting to see Mika, and he came out almost immediately (this was why they were in a rush to rescue the dad from us, I think, LOL). He was quite fast moving down the line, as the car was waiting, but was nice and pleasant with everyone as usual. I really like just seeing him and saying hi, and all that. I don't tend to ask him for stuf, but just like to say something to him and see his face from close up, and speak to him a little, that's all.

It also made for a nice change, as we (Danika, Sarahlou and myself) didn't get to see him after we did the BG thing in Brighton, as we were told by MamaP that he had many disabled kids to see and he had to go in a rush, and was tired, so did we please mind stepping back and not meeting him that night, as we'd met him in the past.

Of course we were happy to do this, although I have a gripe and it is that some people who had met him in the past still went to meet him, and also, some other person actually followed the disabled kids into the meeting area so she could get to see him, which I think is just utterly wrong, but hey, as usual, each to their own and they can fend with their own conscience. I just get annoyed at the fact that they think that it's cool to impose all that on him.

Anyway, Bristol was fantastic, and a memorable gig for sure. We drove back on the night and made it home around 4 am I think, so today was a total write off :naughty:.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Report..sorta I usually don't do them.

Travelled down straight after work on Weds night, so arrived about 1.30 am, was very tired by then a long way from Teesside but hey ho.

Got to gig after a meander down there cant remember time, wasnt paying attention as shopping on way lol.

Found some MFC ppl in lobby sat on cubes, we then made our way up stairs and arranged ourselves in number order, I was number 9 and even though there was no pushing or shoving I ended up right near the end of front row, think some people were keeping places for friends etc ho hum, thats life.

Had quite a good time all the same, totally loved Erik again grooved my thaaang through BOTH gigs (as you do), was quite near to speakers so could hear things in Mika's voice that I don't usually hear lol.

Was good being on David's side again cos I was taking a lot of notice of the things he does, (gives you more chance when Mika doesnt keep prancing about in front you distracting you) :naughty:

I don't tend to take any vids cos my cam is poo took a few pics but they won't be up to much, I prefer to enjoy the gig through my own eyes anyway.

David must still think I look like his mum cos he still keeps looking at me smiling away and nodding and stuff during and after the gig.

got enough of the right kinda eye contact off the big guy too (by that I mean in my fave songs lol), loved how he interacted with audience this time, he was funny and his infectious giggle set us all off.

It was hilarious when I realized Eriks band were in the costumes during Lollipop, :roftl: was trying to catch a balloon for a little girl but I think she got one in the end.

The gig itself.... was great, I thought there might be even more craziness than there was for the last UK gig on the tour, but he had a bit of daft banter that was good. I also enjoyed seeing the ending cos he added to it since Newcastle.

Have to say I LOVED the venue, the most relaxed "audience safety" ppl I have encountered yet (Leeds pretty high up there too). But these guys OFFERED to put our bags and coats under the barriers, took photos for us, got us drinks of water, put small children out of harms way on the step in front of the barriers etc, they were fab :thumb_yello: for once I didnt feel like I was in a heard of sheep lol.

M&G afterwards was okay, not too many ppl, I didnt take much notice of what was going on till he was nearly upon us, just watched Silver give him her lovely gift she made for him which he was thrilled with.

Then he signed a few tickets etc, while chatting with us, Rose will have told you about what he said to her, we blamed Jazzy for the artwork lol, :teehee: but to be fair she was only following orders, anyway it made for a loooong talking point with Mika, which can only be a good thing lol.

we joked about him not wanting Roses gift but he said he never says no to gifts lol, so she showed him it and told him all about the book, he REALLY liked it "thats going STRAIGHT in my library" he said, I kinda joked with him and said he would have to stick it into google translate if he wanted to know the stories in it since it was in German lol, and he asked where she found it, so she told him we hunted it down online or something like that, (she had given up getting it on time for him you see, but when she stayed at mine after Newcaslte, I found it for her online when we got home so ordered it to go to her house etc), yeey she was a happy lady lol.

Then he was looking directly at me again :wub2: and telling me all about how the show is all going to change and stuff but will have to wait and see (what a tease, now he makes me want to go to MORE gigs, clever guy pfft).

He kinda came back a bit and took hold of Rose's shoulder and said everything was fine or ok or something, cos she was a bit worried about the pengy face, but he KNOWS Rose is lovley lady so no need for her to worry lol.

Just chatted amongst ourselves while he signed the last few ppl, next thing he was gone.

Waited a little while chatting more, said goodbye to the band, worried about Laurel disapearing, kept looking for her etc but we know she got back ok in the end (naughty girl Laurel, next time tell us or you go to the naughty step).:naughty:

Sorry :blush-anim-cl: Again :aah:

Hi everyone!

I am back from the UK and I feel I will be high on Mika drug for at least 2 weeks. :groovy:

I hope it will last until Berlin :pinkbow:

Before posting any report or even reading them let me send this link to our new friend Michael George (:blink:- or was it the other way round?:naughty:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrovaradin_fortress

Citadel_Petrovaradin.jpg

Nice! :original:

Hi everyone!

I am back from the UK and I feel I will be high on Mika drug for at least 2 weeks. :groovy:

Before posting any report or even reading them let me send this link to our new friend Michael George (:blink:- or was it the other way round?:naughty:)

Citadel_Petrovaradin.jpg

what does it mean?:blink:

Hi everyone!

Citadel_Petrovaradin.jpg

Hmmmmm? :blink:

<shares confusion with Robi>

Hi everyone!

Citadel_Petrovaradin.jpg

Oooh looks lovely! Suzie, it was lovely spending time with you again.

To the confused: It does not really mean anything, I just posted it to someone who mentioned this fortress in Bristol.

Oooh looks lovely! Suzie, it was lovely spending time with you again.

It was great to meet you again, too. :thumb_yello:

I am already thinking about attending a gig in the 2nd leg of the European tour, too - especially if he keeps changing the set... :blush-anim-cl:

Hi everyone!

Citadel_Petrovaradin.jpg

This is the beautiful place where Mika will perform at Exit festival in Novi Sad.

Michael George? It can't be George Michael ?:shocked::roftl:

This is the beautiful place where Mika will perform at Exit festival in Novi Sad.

Michael George? It can't be George Michael ?:shocked::roftl:

Of course it wasn't George Michael. :roftl: It was someone whose knowledge on different cultures spans beyond watching Coronation Street on the telly...:teehee:

Talking about GM, I think I saw some 'GM dance moves' during Blue Eyes...and I never noticed that before. :teehee: It was sooo funny... :biggrin2:i'd better re-watch it on YT.

ah ok, of course i know that! so it's not that popular outside of germany, so mika would've known it too when he was little? :blink: it's a book that almost every child has/knows here in germany, i think i still have my old copy somewhere in the basement too. :bleh:

i've never thought about how children's books are different in different countries, thought they'd be universal for all countries, like for example grimm's fairytales or harry potter. but at least you had struwwelpeter as a kid... what is he called in english? :naughty:

do you have max & moritz by wilhelm busch in english as well? those are some dark+twisted stories too, i guess mika would love them. :naughty:

I've not seen the Max & Moritz books, but will certainly look them up now ;-)

And it's Struwwelpeter in English too.

Of course it wasn't George Michael. :roftl: It was someone whose knowledge on different cultures spans beyond watching Coronation Street on the telly...:teehee:

Awww I get it. But who knows? Maybe our old friend GM will bump there without our knowledge to support Touches You.:naughty::roftl:

Some of us who watch Corrie, do have knowledge beyond watching it. You'd be surprised!

Some of us who watch Corrie, do have knowledge beyond watching it. You'd be surprised!

Oh, I don't want to be misunderstood on this. My comment was not about people who watch Corrie but a remark on GM's interests. :wink2: I also watch soaps / tv series if I find them interesting and funny.

Let's get back on topic. I am sorry for bringing this up.

Sorry don't normally post on here but do read quite a bit:thumb_yello:

What a great night, Mika was bloody amazing:biggrin2: it was lovely to have Mika back in Bristol:biggrin2: (I was one of the lucky 10 or so people:shocked: that seen him on his first visit a few years ago when he was unknown at the Fleece and Firkin) I've some what fallen out of love with Mika over the last month's because I've been into other music and other bands but Thursday night brought everything back and reminded me why I love him and his music:biggrin2:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=155059&id=674429409&l=9a9ba17154 (my photos)

You're right! It's not the first time that I've said it to him, in fact I think that he's probably fed up of being nagged. I wish that I could think of something interesting or witty (or even appropriate!) to say but I always freeze and either can't say anything or say something rubbish that I later regret.

One day I'd like to retain the powers of thought and speech in his presence!

Yeah, considering it was my first time meeting him I dont think I embaressed myself too much :naughty: Well up untill that point where I was pretty much begging him to come to Wales :blink:

Well at least when he does finally come here I can feel that I was partly something to do with it :biggrin2: And no doubt I'll be first in the queu when that day comes :naughty:

suzie: glad I finally met you :) I've been here for quite some time but still don't know/recognize who everyone is in real life, so thanks for coming over and introducing yourself. If we looked a bit 'blah', remember we were up since 4.30 am local time so that would make 3.30 am uk time. We were exhausted :teehee:

I am also happy that I finally met you and Katrien!:thumb_yello:

Sometimes I also start wondering afterwards why I did not talk more to people but it usually is much more relaxing when meeting someone for the second time - for me anyway.:teehee: At least we did talk. I still regret that at the Sadlers Wells gig I did not look for one English fan I had long been a twitter and MFC friend of for a long time ...

Anyway, I hope to meet you again soon at a gig!

What a great night, Mika was bloody amazing:biggrin2: it was lovely to have Mika back in Bristol:biggrin2: (I was one of the lucky 10 or so people:shocked: that seen him on his first visit a few years ago when he was unknown at the Fleece and Firkin) I've some what fallen out of love with Mika over the last month's because I've been into other music and other bands but Thursday night brought everything back and reminded me why I love him and his music:biggrin2:

Lucky you with the 10-people gig.

I like to hear stories like this (ex-fans having been reminded of Mika's talent after a live gig).

Most people love Mika's shows and once they watch him perform live they don't question his talent. It is even better if it is an ex-fan returning. Hope you will post more:thumb_yello:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=155059&id=674429409&l=9a9ba17154 (my photos)

there are a couple of those pics that are me with Mika - any chance i could use them on my facebook page so my non MFC friends could see? i dont want to just copy them without permission

x

It's good to see you back her, hope you can stick around. Didn't hear about the Fleece and Firkin gig til a couple of months after the event. Wish I could have been there!

Great! 2006 .. you would be suprised how few actually saw him then! how lucky you were :biggrin2:

Nice to see you back on the MFC :thumb_yello:

Archived